• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The MLB Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Nice that he broke the round record.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Yay Lance in the final!

Come on Lance..TAKE DOWN MINI SOSA!

Matrix

Mrbob said:
Haha Palmero tanked his at bats to get Berkman in the final!

Did Mr.Whiff do that too? Sosa was horrid.

Matrix

Nooooo Berk dont fail me now!

Matrix

Damn Berk is strong.

CHOKE MINI SOSA!

Matrix

:(

Oh well,Im just glad an astro finally made the finals...Congrats to Tejada.

Damn Ortiz must have a man crush on Tejada,so annoying.

Matrix

Never forget..never forget the night you saw Berkman lose to tejajajkakjannkjsnsnknsknsknsknsknsbsjvbdhvdghvecfgctecdtcegvfvehb hbh cj djnc!
g_berkman_ft.jpg

Mrbob

WTF is this shit on ESPN?

Oh and Kanny Mayne is so boring.....he is supposed to be ESPNs resident comedian?

"We are play softball on TV right now." OH YEAH SO FUNNIEZ.

Matrix

Cubsfan23 said:
did Sosa have any monster blasts?

One monster whiff..no other player can say they did that.

Meier

Costly consequences
The legacy of Kevin Malone -- the worst GM in baseball history? -- continues to sting the Dodgers, as reflected in their four highest-paid players: Darren Dreifort ($11,400,000), Hideo Nomo ($9,000,000), Shawn Green ($16,666,667) and Todd Hundley ($7,000,000). Dreifort has pitched just 38 innings (as a reliever) with a 3.76 ERA. Nomo's been even worse -- 3-10 with an 8.06 ERA. Green is hitting .253 with 10 home runs, 41 RBI, and a .734 OPS. And Hundley? He averaged less than 80 games a season between 1999 and 2003, and is out for this season.

:(

Meier

I dunno, DePodesta has made some pretty good moves thus far and I expect he will continue to whether or not we get Delgado. Hope so at least!

Miguel

g_berkman_ft.jpg

Fuck yeah, Berkman and Tejada put on a fucking SHOW.

48 combined HRs. DAYUM

Miggy with 27, Lance with 21.

Mig would have gone for more, he was just on FIRE after the first round.

He had 20 HRs and 15 outs after the 1st round...:O

Miguel

Desperado said:
Who wants to bet Jimy gets fired before Friday?

DEAR GOD PLEASE!!!! =(

All-Star Game: Notebook

Garner is a candidate for Astros

By Tom Gage / The Detroit News

HOUSTON — Is former Tigers manager Phil Garner on the verge of getting his dream job of managing the Houston Astros?

The answer to that could come as soon as Wednesday when the under-achieving Astros either fire Jimy Williams, their current manager, or end the rampant speculation by retaining him.

The fifth-place Astros are 44-44 in the National League Central, 10 1/2 games out of first. They lost six of their last eight before the All-Star break, and are 20-27 since dropping out of first place on May 22.

Garner, who lives in Houston and played for the Astros, hasn’t had a baseball job since being fired by the Tigers six winless games into 2002 season, but the Houston Chronicle has listed him high on a list of possible replacements if Williams is fired.

“I haven’t missed the game because I’ve been so busy with other interests,” Garner said Tuesday during All-Star Game festivities. “But I still pay attention. Things are looking up for those Tigers, aren’t they?”

Garner managed the Milwaukee Brewers before the Tigers hired him in 2000. His first Tigers’ team showed promise at 79-83, but they slumped to 66-96 and 0-6 after that before he was replaced by Luis Pujols.

I'd take Phil Garner....Don Baylor, or even Gene Lamont. If we get Lamont, we'd promote current AAA hitting coach Gary Gaetti XD

Miguel

Three Time Champ Junction Jack Wins 2004 CENTURY 21(R) Major League Baseball(R) Mascot Home Run Derby(R) Title on Home Turf
Saturday July 10, 2:11 pm ET

PARSIPPANY, N.J., July 10 /PRNewswire/ -- The third-annual CENTURY 21 Major League Baseball Mascot Home Run Derby was a hit today at the John Hancock All-Star FanFest at George R. Brown Convention Center in Houston. James Endsley from the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Houston won his very own CENTURY 21 Dream Clubhouse when Junction Jack captured the title for the third time.

James Endsley and Junction Jack were paired up for the 2004 CENTURY 21 Major League Baseball Mascot Home Run Derby competition. The CENTURY 21 System's feathered mascot duo, Nestor and Houser, awarded James Endsley with his grand prize.

Similar in format to the CENTURY 21 Home Run Derby competition slated for Monday, July 12 at 7 p.m. (CDT) in Houston, eight mascots were matched with a lucky child from the Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Houston and the Salvation Army Boys & Girls Clubs of Metropolitan Houston. Participating mascot home run hitters included:

* Junction Jack -- Houston Astros * Mariner Moose -- Seattle Mariners
* Dinger -- Colorado Rockies * Gapper -- Cincinnati Reds
* Mr. Met -- New York Mets * Stomper -- Oakland A's
* Rangers Captain -- Texas Rangers * Raymond -- Tampa Bay Devil Rays

Through three high-stakes rounds of hitting an oversized ball off a tee at home plate and aiming for the outfield fence, the eight mascots slipped, stumbled and smacked 'em home in a valiant attempt to capture the 2004 CENTURY 21® Major League Baseball® Mascot Home Run Derby® title and win "its" youth partner the CENTURY 21 Dream Clubhouse. Designed by KinderHomes (http://www.kinderhomes.com), the CENTURY 21 Dream Clubhouse features a porch, Dutch door, one window on each sidewall, and a hexagon window on back wall.

I was rooting for Berkman over Tejada because it's his hometown and he was batting righty, but shit if that wasn't boring despite all the homers. Two best one-man shows of the last 10 years still go to McGwire in Boston and Sammy in Atlanta.

Weren't Berkman and Tejada replacements for Griffey and Giambi, respectively? I betcha some player who doesn't hit a lot of homeruns in official play could win this thing. Hell, I've seen Kerry Wood consistently hit bombs out of Wrigley in batting practice.

Fifty

It's here! Bill Simmons' fantastic pre All Star post!

Genius, as always

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/040713

If I could change anything about Enron-, er, Minute Maid, it would be the goofy set-up in left field -- one section of bleachers, flanked by a ridiculous cement wall with a train and train tracks on top of it. It looks like something Method Man and Redman created with a set of Legos after polishing off a bong the size of Yao Ming............Why not add more seats? Why the train? What's up with the hill in center? Why do the seats in right field face third base? It's like the place was built by some stoned architect who never actually watched a game before, but his kids were telling him, "Daddy, you should put a train in left field, and Daddy make a hill in the outfield!

If that doesn't get you to read it....You're stupid.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
On the bright side, the retractable roof makes up for everything. Even when it gets dark in Houston during the summer, the temperature vacillates between 120 and 130 degrees, with 156-percent humidity. The roof saved everyone from a miserable night. Maybe it looks better with the roof opened; but even with the roof closed, it looks okay. Certainly better than the giant space vulva in Milwaukee.

Great article, I'm delighted he enjoyed Houston!

Fifty

Surely that's a joke. But if you're stupid enough to hire JIMMY (what's with the one M), ya never know. His doppleganger might suit them quite well.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Fifty said:
Surely that's a joke. But if you're stupid enough to hire JIMMY (what's with the one M), ya never know. His doppleganger might suit them quite well.

Actually, I'm serious. They're saying on ESPN NEWS that Grady Little is his likely replacement and that a decision will be made first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom