• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THE MUSIC DRAFT - DRAFTING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlternativeUlster

Absolutely pathetic part deux
Ford Prefect said:
I've got The Monks album, but that's it. What a wonderfully educational thread!

Ulster, you should just start a NeoGAF music class.

:lol. That actually sounds like a good idea. I might do something like that after the draft. I could talk about music all day.

I am narrowed it down to 5 choices this round but leaning towards this one 1960s pick.

BioHazard

My late round four pick:

Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A

Straight-outta-compton.jpg

Cyan

Banned
BioHazard said:
My late round four pick:

Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A

http://www.ugo.com/music/hip-hop-album-covers/images/entries/Straight-outta-compton.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Damn it! Snaked again. Gotta figure out another pick now...

AlternativeUlster

Cyan said:
Gotta link the title track, man!

Straight outta Compton, crazy motherfucker named Ulster
He don't link, cuz he's fucked in the skull-ster

:lol :lol

If you are going the hip hop route this round, there are tons of huge records that haven't been picked. Like tons among tons.

Edit: Your new rhyme is better since Ulster is a real place.

Eric WK

AlternativeUlster said:
:lol :lol

If you are going the hip hop route this round, there are tons of huge records that haven't been picked. Like tons among tons.

Yeah, so many. Holding off because I know I'll get something great in a late round.

AlternativeUlster

Eric WK said:
Yeah, so many. Holding off because I know I'll get something great in a late round.

That is my mentality too unless I am late to the buzzer tonight and don't get one of the two I have been debating about tonight.

AlternativeUlster

Aphex Twin - ...I care because you do
Arcade Fire - Funeral
At the Drive In - Relationship of Command
Bad Religion - No Control
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
The Beatles - Abbey Road
The Beatles - Revolver
The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper
The Beatles - White Album
The Birthday Party - Prayers on Fire
Black Sabbath - Paranoid
Boards of Canada - Music has the Right to Children
Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited
Brian Eno - Another Green World
Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain
Brian Wilson - Smile
Bruce Springsteen - Born to Run
Can - Tago Mago
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica
Catherine Wheel - Adam & Eve
The Clash - London Calling
Crosby, Stills, Nash, and Young - Deju Vu
Daft Punk - Discovery
David Bowie - Low
David Bowie - Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust
Deltron 3030 - Deltron 3030
DJ Shadow - Endtroducing
Doors - The Doors
Dream Theater - Images and Words
Elvis Costello - This Year's Model
Explosions in the Sky - The Earth is Not A Cold Dead Place
Fleetwood Mac - Rumours
Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway
Godspeed You Black Emperor - F♯A♯∞
Guided by Voices - Bee Thousand
Guns N Roses - Appetite for Destruction
Isaac Hayes - Hot Buttered Soul
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced?
John Coltrane - A Love Supreme
Joy Division - Closer
Joy Division - Unknown Pleasures
Judas Priest - Painkiller
Judas Priest - Screaming for Vengence
Justice - Cross
Kraftwerk - Trans-Europe Express
Leonard Cohen - Death of a Ladie's Man
Leonard Cohen - Songs of Leonard Cohen
Led Zepplin - Led Zepplin IV
Lift to Experience - The Texas Jerusalam Crossroads
Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
Massive Attack - Mezanine
Megadeth - Rust in Peace
Metallica - The Black Album
Metallica - Master of Puppets
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Michael Jackson - Thriller
Miles Davis - A Kind of Blue
Minor Threat - Out of Step
Modest Mouse - The Moon & Antarctica
Muse - Black Holes and Reveations
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Nas - Illmatic
The National - Alligator
Neutral Milk Hotel - In the Aeroplane Over the Sea
New Order - Low Life
Nina Simone - Pastel Blues
N.W.A - Straight out of Compton
Palace Music - Lost Blue and Other Songs
Paul Simon - Graceland
Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here
Pixies - Come On Pilgrim
Pixies - Doolittle
The Pogues - Rum, Sodomy, and the Lash
Portishead - DUmmy
Queens of the Stone Age - Songs for the Deaf
Radiohead - The Bends
Radiohead - Ok Computer
Refused - The Shape of Punk to Come
Rolling Stones - Exile on Main St.
Rolling Stones - Let it Bleed
Rush - Moving Pictures
Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Slayer - Reign in Blood
Slint - Spiderland
The Smiths - Queen is Dead
Sonic Youth - Daydream Nation
Soundgarden - Superunknown
The Specials - The Specials
Stevie Wonder - Innervisions
Strokes - Is This it?
Talking Heads - Remain in Light
Talk Talk - Laughing Stock
Television - Marquee Moon
Tom Waits - Closing Time
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs
U2 - War
Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground
Velvet Underground with Nico - Velvet Underground with Nico
Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat
Weezer - Blue Album
Weezer - Pinkerton
The Who - Who's Next
Wilco - Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
Wu-Tang - Enter the Wu-Tang (36 Chambers)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I'll be here. I decided not to go see Growing tonight (I don't like their new stuff very much anyway), so I'm at home with absolutely nothing to do.

AlternativeUlster

vatstep said:
I'll be here. I decided not to go see Growing tonight (I don't like their new stuff very much anyway), so I'm at home with absolutely nothing to do.

Ha, they played in Philly last week with Thrones and I decided not to go since it was a 20 dollar cab ride and the show freaking started at 7:30. Who the hell goes to see a band at 7:30?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
AlternativeUlster said:
Ha, they played in Philly last week with Thrones and I decided not to go since it was a 20 dollar cab ride and the show freaking started at 7:30. Who the hell goes to see a band at 7:30?
Haha, you know, I actually don't mind early shows some of the time. I live in Boston, and a lot of good ones are at The Middle East in Cambridge, across the Charles River. The last train I can catch home is at around 12:30, and it just sucks having to leave early, or having to miss the last band entirely. I missed Thrones for that exact reason this week!

Chamber

love on your sleeve
I'm debating two albums for tonight. One of them I'm sure won't last much longer but the other is probably a top 5 album for me. :(

AlternativeUlster

Beastie Boys - Paul's Boutique
picked by Flynn in Round One
c4697062951.jpg

Stephen Thomas Erlewine of Allmusic said:
Such was the power of Licensed to Ill that everybody, from fans to critics, thought that not only could the Beastie Boys not top the record, but that they were destined to be a one-shot wonder. These feelings were only amplified by their messy, litigious departure from Def Jam and their flight from their beloved New York to Los Angeles, since it appeared that the Beasties had completely lost the plot. Many critics in fact thought that Paul's Boutique was a muddled mess upon its summer release in 1989, but that's the nature of the record — it's so dense, it's bewildering at first, revealing its considerable charms with each play. To put it mildly, it's a considerable change from the hard rock of Licensed to Ill, shifting to layers of samples and beats so intertwined they move beyond psychedelic; it's a painting with sound. Paul's Boutique is a record that only could have been made in a specific time and place. Like the Rolling Stones in 1972, the Beastie Boys were in exile and pining for their home, so they made a love letter to downtown New York — which they could not have done without the Dust Brothers, a Los Angeles-based production duo who helped redefine what sampling could be with this record. Sadly, after Paul's Boutique sampling on the level of what's heard here would disappear; due to a series of lawsuits, most notably Gilbert O'Sullivan's suit against Biz Markie, the entire enterprise too cost-prohibitive and risky to perform on such a grand scale. Which is really a shame, because if ever a record could be used as incontrovertible proof that sampling is its own art form, it's Paul's Boutique. Snatches of familiar music are scattered throughout the record — anything from Curtis Mayfield's "Superfly" and Sly Stone's "Loose Booty" to Loggins & Messina's "Your Mama Don't Dance" and the Ramones' "Suzy Is a Headbanger" — but never once are they presented in lazy, predictable ways. The Dust Brothers and Beasties weave a crazy-quilt of samples, beats, loops, and tricks, which creates a hyper-surreal alternate reality — a romanticized, funhouse reflection of New York where all pop music and culture exist on the same strata, feeding off each other, mocking each other, evolving into a wholly unique record, unlike anything that came before or after. It very well could be that its density is what alienated listeners and critics at the time; there is so much information in the music and words that it can seem impenetrable at first, but upon repeated spins it opens up slowly, assuredly, revealing more every listen. Musically, few hip-hop records have ever been so rich; it's not just the recontextulations of familiar music via samples, it's the flow of each song and the album as a whole, culminating in the widescreen suite that closes the record. Lyrically, the Beasties have never been better — not just because their jokes are razor-sharp, but because they construct full-bodied narratives and evocative portraits of characters and places. Few pop records offer this much to savor, and if Paul's Boutique only made a modest impact upon its initial release, over time its influence could be heard through pop and rap, yet no matter how its influence was felt, it stands alone as a record of stunning vision, maturity, and accomplishment. Plus, it's a hell of a lot of fun, no matter how many times you've heard it.
Song Sample: Looking Down a Barrell of a Gun
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJNp5Pf-jUU

The Specials - The Specials
picked by Vox-Pop in Round Four
d11065525xj.jpg

Jo-Ann Greene of Allmusic said:
perfect moment in time captured on vinyl forever, such is the Specials' eponymous debut album; it arrived in shops in the middle of October 1979 and soared into the U.K. Top Five. It was an utter revelation — except for anyone who had seen the band on-stage, for the album was at its core a studio recording of their live set, and at times even masquerades as a gig. There were some notable omissions: "Gangsters," for one, but that had already spun on 45, as well as the quartet of covers that would appear on their live Too Much Too Young EP in the new year. But the rest are all here, 14 songs' strong, mostly originals with a few covers of classics thrown in for good measure. That includes their fabulous take on Dandy Livingstone's "A Message to You Rudy," an equally stellar version of the Maytals' "Monkey Man," and the sizzling take on Prince Buster's "Too Hot." If those were fabulous, their own compositions were magnificent. The Specials managed to distill all the anger, disenchantment, and bitterness of the day straight into their music. The vicious "Nite Klub" — with its unforgettable line, "All the girls are slags and the beer tastes just like piss" — perfectly skewered every bad night the members had ever spent out on the town; "Blank Expression" extended the misery into unwelcoming pubs, while "Concrete Jungle" moved the action onto the streets, capturing the fear and violence that stalked the inner cities. And then it gets personal. "It's Up to You" throws down the gauntlets to those who disliked the group, its music, and its stance, while simultaneously acting as a rallying cry for supporters. "Too Much Too Young" shows the Specials' disdain for teen pregnancy and marriage; "Stupid Marriage" drags two such offenders before a Judge Dread-esque magistrate, with Terry Hall playing the outraged and sniping prosecutor; while "Little Bitch" is downright nasty. Those were polemics; "It Doesn't Make It Alright" reaches a hand out to listeners and, with conviction, delivers up a heartfelt plea against racism, but even this number contains a sharp sting in its tail. It's a bitter brew, aggressively delivered, with even the slower numbers sharply edged, and therefore the band wisely scattered sparkling covers across the album to help lift its mood. The set appropriately ends with the rocksteady-esque yearning of "You're Wondering Now," the song that invariably closed their live shows. Even though producer Elvis Costello gave the record a bright sound, it doesn't lighten the dark currents that run through the group's songs; if anything, his production heightens them. It's left to guests Rico Rodriguez and Dick Cuthell to provide a little Caribbean sun to the Specials' sound, their brass sweetening the flashes of anger and disaffection that sweep across the record. And so, this was Britain in late 1979, an unhappy island about to explode. This enhanced CD reissue includes the videos for "Gangsters" and "Too Much," true must-see TV.
Song Sample: Gangsters
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0fQ_OCa9Ik

Can - Tago Mago
picked by Nihilism in Round Four
g56886p0pkv.jpg

Ned Raggett of AllMusic said:
With the band in full artistic flower and Suzuki's sometimes moody, sometimes frenetic speak/sing/shrieking in full effect, Can released not merely one of the best Krautrock albums of all time, but one of the best albums ever, period. Tago Mago is that rarity of the early '70s, a double album without a wasted note, ranging from sweetly gentle float to full-on monster grooves. "Paperhouse" starts things brilliantly, beginning with a low-key chime and beat, before amping up into a rumbling roll in the midsection, then calming down again before one last blast. Both "Mushroom" and "Oh Yeah," the latter with Schmidt filling out the quicker pace with nicely spooky keyboards, continue the fine vibe. After that, though, come the huge highlights — three long examples of Can at its absolute best. "Halleluwah" — featuring the Liebezeit/Czukay rhythm section pounding out a monster trance/funk beat; Karoli's and Schmidt's always impressive fills and leads; and Suzuki's slow-building ranting above everything — is 19 minutes of pure genius. The near-rhythmless flow of "Aumgn" is equally mind-blowing, with swaths of sound from all the members floating from speaker to speaker in an ever-evolving wash, leading up to a final jam. "Peking O" continues that same sort of feeling, but with a touch more focus, throwing in everything from Chinese-inspired melodies and jazzy piano breaks to cheap organ rhythm boxes and near babbling from Suzuki along the way. "Bring Me Coffee or Tea" wraps things up as a fine, fun little coda to a landmark record.
Song Sample: Oh Yeah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49PvnYCKZkM

Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
picked by EricWK for Round One
g12306mucdt.jpg

Stephen Thomas Erlewine of AllMusic said:
Rumours is the kind of album that transcends its origins and reputation, entering the realm of legend — it's an album that simply exists outside of criticism and outside of its time, even if it thoroughly captures its era. Prior to this LP, Fleetwood Mac were moderately successful, but here they turned into a full-fledged phenomenon, with Rumours becoming the biggest-selling pop album to date. While its chart success was historic, much of the legend surrounding the record is born from the group's internal turmoil. Unlike most bands, Fleetwood Mac in the mid-'70s were professionally and romantically intertwined, with no less than two couples in the band, but as their professional career took off, the personal side unraveled. Bassist John McVie and his keyboardist/singer wife Christine McVie filed for divorce as guitarist/vocalist Lindsey Buckingham and vocalist Stevie Nicks split, with Stevie running to drummer Mick Fleetwood, unbeknown to the rest of the band. These personal tensions fueled nearly every song on Rumours, which makes listening to the album a nearly voyeuristic experience. You're eavesdropping on the bandmates singing painful truths about each other, spreading nasty lies and rumors and wallowing in their grief, all in the presence of the person who caused the heartache. Everybody loves gawking at a good public breakup, but if that was all that it took to sell a record, Richard and Linda Thompson's Shoot Out the Lights would be multi-platinum. No, what made Rumours an unparalleled blockbuster is the quality of the music. Once again masterminded by producer/songwriter/guitarist Buckingham, Rumours is an exceptionally musical piece of work — he toughens Christine McVie and softens Nicks, adding weird turns to accessibly melodic works, which gives the universal themes of the songs haunting resonance. It also cloaks the raw emotion of the lyrics in deceptively palatable arrangements that made a tune as wrecked and tortured as "Go Your Own Way" an anthemic hit. But that's what makes Rumours such an enduring achievement — it turns private pain into something universal. Some of these songs may be too familiar, whether through their repeated exposure on FM radio or their use in presidential campaigns, but in the context of the album, each tune, each phrase regains its raw, immediate emotional power — which is why Rumours touched a nerve upon its 1977 release, and has since transcended its era to be one of the greatest, most compelling pop albums of all time.
Song Sample: Go Your Own Way
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GN2kpBoFs4

Velvet Underground - White Light / White Heat
picked by Squirel Killer in Round One
f16917stdmf.jpg

Mark Deming of AllMusic said:
The world of pop music was hardly ready for The Velvet Underground's first album when it appeared in the spring of 1967, but while The Velvet Underground and Nico sounded like an open challenge to conventional notions of what rock music could sound like (or what it could discuss), 1968's White Light/White Heat was a no-holds-barred frontal assault on cultural and aesthetic propriety. Recorded without the input of either Nico or Andy Warhol, White Light/White Heat was the purest and rawest document of the key Velvets lineup of Lou Reed, John Cale, Sterling Morrison, and Maureen Tucker, capturing the group at their toughest and most abrasive. The album opens with an open and enthusiastic endorsement of amphetamines (startling even from this group of noted drug enthusiasts), and side one continues with an amusing shaggy-dog story set to a slab of lurching mutant R&B ("The Gift"), a perverse variation on an old folktale ("Lady Godiva's Operation"), and the album's sole "pretty" song, the mildly disquieting "Here She Comes Now." While side one was a good bit darker in tone than the Velvets' first album, side two was where they truly threw down the gauntlet with the manic, free-jazz implosion of "I Heard Her Call My Name" (featuring Reed's guitar work at its most gloriously fractured), and the epic noise jam "Sister Ray," 17 minutes of sex, drugs, violence, and other non-wholesome fun with the loudest rock group in the history of Western Civilization as the house band. White Light/White Heat is easily the least accessible of The Velvet Underground's studio albums, but anyone wanting to hear their guitar-mauling tribal frenzy straight with no chaser will love it, and those benighted souls who think of the Velvets as some sort of folk-rock band are advised to crank their stereo up to ten and give side two a spin.
Song Sample: White Light White Heat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62ckXALWn1M

AlternativeUlster

vatstep said:
Haha, you know, I actually don't mind early shows some of the time. I live in Boston, and a lot of good ones are at The Middle East in Cambridge, across the Charles River. The last train I can catch home is at around 12:30, and it just sucks having to leave early, or having to miss the last band entirely. I missed Thrones for that exact reason this week!

I felt like a scumbag for not going since Merzbow cancelled and I couldn't get enough money to No Fun Fest, I was for sure going to that show until I found out how early it was. I wake up pretty late so I would have to rush over there. Like today I woke up at 8pm. I wish I could sleep normally. I also haven't been to any great shows other than Peter Brotzmann since I have moved into town too.

AlternativeUlster

Karakand said:
Rumours rocks so fuckin' hard.

I wish they had the studio version up on YouTube. My favorite tracks usually go between Secondhand News, Never Going Back Again, or Go Your Own Way depending on my mood.

vatstep

Queen - A Night at the Opera

vatstep

Cyan said:
Nice. I almost went with that one this round.
Haha, it would've been awesome if you did. You would've won the draw by seconds, and I would've freaked out since I didn't really have a back-up in my mind. :lol

Chamber

love on your sleeve
AlternativeUlster said:
Man, this was the classic rock record I was thinking about courting in the 8th to add more variety. Great choice.
I forgot how much I loved that album until Epitaph came up randomly in a playlist today.

AlternativeUlster

Eric WK said:
Man, I really shouldn't have waited on Forever Changes. Kicking myself now.

Sorry for stealing two of your records good sir. If it makes you feel better Flynn has three of mine I was planning on getting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom