• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

One of the worst commentators in the country, along with that hudson muppet.

As in Anthony Hudson?

afl-anthony-hudson-288x375.jpg

Don't mind him at all. One of the better AFL commentators going around.

jambo

India are in real trouble now.

I was hoping they'd put up a bit of a fight, so we could have some nice long batting sessions =\

As in Anthony Hudson?

http://ten.com.au/images/afl-anthony-hudson-288x375.jpg[IMG]

Don't mind him at all. One of the better AFL commentators going around.[/QUOTE]

He's one of the worst imo. I generally tend to dislike commentators who didn't play the sport they commentate.

Dead Man

He's one of the worst imo. I generally tend to dislike commentators who didn't play the sport they commentate.

Yeah, I can't think of a single commentator I like who didn't participate in some relatively high level of the game in question. It is no guarantee, plenty of ex players make terrible commentators, but it seems to be a precondition.

Grug

Yeah, I can't think of a single commentator I like who didn't participate in some relatively high level of the game in question. It is no guarantee, plenty of ex players make terrible commentators, but it seems to be a precondition.

I have no problem with play-by-play guys who didnt play the game at a high level.

That's why I don't mind Huddo, he's good at what he does. The late Clinton Grybas was even better.

But yeah, for special comments, you want experience.

Dead Man

I have no problem with play-by-play guys who didnt play the game at a high level.

That's why I don't mind Huddo, he's good at what he does. The late Clinton Grybas was even better.

Yeah, play by play guy is different, that is why I don't mind Al Michaels on the NFL broadcasts.

Grug

****ing love Gerard Whateley. It's criminal that he doesn't call AFL games on TV while irritating hacks like Dwayne Russell and Matthew Campbell get regular gigs.

As for Commetti, meh. I think he's become a bit of a parody of himself in the last few years.

Can almost picture him there with a whole sheet of puns ready to go should the right situation arise. Just call the game Dennis.

Edit: anyway, back to the cricket, clearly Australia's session but as you can see by the fact that none of us are crowing about it, we know the Aussie top order is just as capable of this sort of collapse.

Rezbit

Clinton Grybas was sooo good. That call with Rex Hunt in the 05 Swans/Geelong final is my all time favourite.

Even though some of the coverage is a bit amateur, I like Damien Fleming and Mark Waugh on Fox.

Dead Man

I think around 75-100 monkey. India will be out in 150.

LOL missed your first post. Given the situation before lunch, I reckon 150 is about right for India. Hoping they would fire better this match. Have to see how Australia does, I still have no faith in the first 4 batsmen achieving anything.

Gerard Whateley! Dennis, Bruce there are plenty of good commentators that never played the sport at the highest level

Dennis played WAFL in the 70's and 80's, VFL may have had more money and coverage, but there wasn't a national competition, so that counts as playing at a high level to me.

Grug

Clinton Grybas was sooo good. That call with Rex Hunt in the 05 Swans/Geelong final is my all time favourite.

Can highly recommend the Grybas/Hunt commentary track on the 2003 Grand Final DVD too.

Brisbane had the game sewn up by 3 quarter time and Rex pretty much spent the final quarter sticking his head out the comm box window getting in slanging matches with a few abusive Collingwood supporters.

Clinton was trying desperately to keep the coverage on the rails but in the end he just couldn't stop laughing.

God I miss him, he was the best.

artist

Banned
No point in referring to 3rd umpire when you're unsure .. dont think the decision is going to be a surprise.

edit: Yup.

artist

Banned
smh @ Kohli, more sister/mother abuses coming your way.

edit: Laxman gone also. That 189 prediction from Ian Chapell is looking like a pipe dream.

Top Bottom