• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Omikron

Hilfy with 5, tbh I didn't think he quite had this sort of form in him when he came back into the team, but respect to him.

I'm not saying they shouldn't attack him. I'm never a fan of the strategy of just letting a batsmen just sit down one end. I just don't think you can expect to bowl to Ashwin like a tail ender and get him out. He looks like he has some talent with the bat.

artist

Banned
I'm not saying they shouldn't attack him. I'm never a fan of the strategy of just letting a batsmen just sit down one end. I just don't think you can expect to bowl to Ashwin like a tail ender and get him out. He looks like he has some talent with the bat.
Ashwin is definitely good with the bat, heck he got a century recently but that was against WI. But the respect given to him there was more than warranted, you'd have to agree. Hilfy/Pattison could have been brought much earlier.

Didnt see Dhoni there, I guess he's still out shopping.

tri_willy

prior to this series, hilfy never had a 5-for and now he has 2, well done son.

kohli to be dropped, rohit sharma on (or are they "protecting" him?)

artist

Banned
I called for an Australian win before the series even started, now calling 3-0.
prior to this series, hilfy never had a 5-for and now he has 2, well done son.

kohli to be dropped, rohit sharma on (or are they "protecting" him?)
Protecting him from what? Mother & sister abuses?

Hey, Dhoni's finally back. Gave me a few good laughs there, funny guy.

Grug

My desired changes for Perth.

Out: Lyon, Marsh, Haddin
In: Harris, Khawaja, Wade

Can't see that many changes being made to a team that just won by an innings and loose change though. Wouldn't be too upset if Marsh got one more chance. Haddin will probably hold his spot on account of not having a chance to fail with the bat this match.

Rezbit

I still reckon keep Lyon in. Started off well enough in his career, hasn't really bowled long spells this series, but deserves to hang around. Could tighten his line and throw up some more pies, however. Ashwin has looked equally pointless in this series but has bowled many more overs. The WACA is not what it used to be, and Harris has not looked great returning from injury.

Any news on the Watto front? He'd obviously be an automatic in, and you'd have to slide out one of the top 3. Marsh looks a bit out of touch. Haddin for Wade, wouldn't have too many arguments from anyone there.

Why do they keep insisting on bringing in these spinners like Lyon? You don't have to have a spinner just for the sake of it. None of the spinners coming through look any good at all.

I'd rather they just bring in another fast bowler and if they need some spin just give Clarke or Hussey a go. They seem to do better anyway.

artist

Banned
Haddin will probably hold his spot on account of not having a chance to fail with the bat this match.
4114538314.jpg

Rezbit

Why do they keep insisting on bringing in these spinners like Lyon? You don't have to have a spinner just for the sake of it. None of the spinners coming through look any good at all.

I'd rather they just bring in another fast bowler and if they need some spin just give Clarke or Hussey a go. They seem to do better anyway.

The dude's got 25 wickets at 27 in his first 8 tests. The first two tests against India he has barely been needed. Sure this game he wasn't great, but I for one am prepared to let him have a go. He looks more consistent than any of the other guys they've played. Hussey is NOT a viable option, you need the variety, and Clarke can't bowl for long spells because of his back.

Did I just start the Lyon Defence Force?

Fredescu

Sometimes the conditions and the pitch suit a spinner and that's not always obvious in advance. Better to have a full time spinner for those occasions. He's not complete rubbish like some previous experiments.

artist

Banned
Cricinfo giving a nod to Sydney Shame;

Three years back, India were in a similar situation, going 0-2 down at the SCG before hitting back at Perth. They weren't meant to lose that second Test but this time, they deserved what they got. Which makes the recovery all the more difficult. There's another week left for that. Lots of time for introspection/team changes.

<3

The dude's got 25 wickets at 27 in his first 8 tests. The first two tests against India he has barely been needed. Sure this game he wasn't great, but I for one am prepared to let him have a go. He looks more consistent than any of the other guys they've played. Hussey is NOT a viable option, you need the variety, and Clarke can't bowl for long spells because of his back.

Did I just start the Lyon Defence Force?

The stats i'm looking at have him at 24 wickets in 9 tests at 30, which includes a 5/34. I'm happy to see him given a go, i just won't be too surprised when Australia end up with another spinner who struggles to average below 35-40.

I also don't care how he compares to other spinners around the world because most of them range from mediocre to garbage. I don't agree with keeping around dead weight just becuase everyone else is doing it.

I guess i understand why though. Having a good spinner is very important. I'm just not sure you can brute force a solution by giving every spinner you can find a go at the International level.

Grug

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Warne was pretty much plucked out of obscurity and the rest was history, but it is very unlikely to happen that way again. Doesn't stop the spectators from trying to strike gold twice though.

The options since Warne have just been meh central.

Hauritz
McGain
Beer
Lyon
Doherty
Krejza
Casson

Have I missed anyone? What a list of mediocrity.

The worst part is they all look like part time spinners. They have that same little over the wrist action which results in them getting little spin. They just never look like they are going to trouble the batsmen.

Also that list really highlights the sad state of affairs of spinners in general. As someone who loved watching Warne play that kinda makes me a little sad. Why couldn't Macgill have been born 10 years after warne?

Rezbit

The stats i'm looking at have him at 24 wickets in 9 tests at 30, which includes a 5/34. I'm happy to see him given a go, i just won't be too surprised when Australia end up with another spinner who struggles to average below 35-40.

Yeah, was just rattling off the stats from memory. Still a good start though. If Pattinson starts having to toil for no luck in 4 or so tests will people be calling for his head? The dude hasn't failed yet, and until he has a negative impact on the team (a la Phil Hughes), he should get a run.

Dead Man

Sometimes the conditions and the pitch suit a spinner and that's not always obvious in advance. Better to have a full time spinner for those occasions. He's not complete rubbish like some previous experiments.

Yeah, he's not brilliant, but as long as you have a decent pace attack around him, I'd rather have a spinner and not need him than need him and not have him.

Yeah, he's not brilliant, but as long as you have a decent pace attack around him, I'd rather have a spinner and not need him than need him and not have him.

The problem with the spinners Australia has been bringing through is that even when the pitch favours them they still struggle.

I'd rather go with bowlers who can actually perform than to drag around dead weight in the hope that when he finally gets a pitch that suits him he can actually perform.

Again though Lyons stats aren't that bad and i don't mind if he stays around a little longer. However if he starts struggling like the others (and that looks likely imo) than he shouldn't be kept around just for the sake of having a spinner.

Edit: Also lets not get too far ahead of ourselves with the quality of Australias pace attack. Yeah it is carving up this shitty India outfit but it has had its problems in the past. A lot of Australias quicks are sturggling to average under 30 as well.

Dead Man

The problem with the spinners Australia has been bringing through is that even when the pitch favours them they still struggle.

I'd rather go with bowlers who can actually perform than to drag around dead weight in the hope that when he finally gets a pitch that suits him he can actually perform.

Again though Lyons stats aren't that bad and i don't mind if he stays around a little longer. However if he starts struggling like the others (and that looks likely imo) than he shouldn't be kept around just for the sake of having a spinner.

Edit: Also lets not get too far ahead of ourselves with the quality of Australias pace attack. Yeah it is carving up this shitty India outfit but it has had its problems in the past. A lot of Australias quicks are sturggling to average under 30 as well.

All true. Lets say if he stays with decent figures and if the pace attack stays effective then I would prefer to have him and not need him. Couple of big ifs there though.

Window

To be honest the chance of a draw was highly unprobable after yesterday, Possible sure but not very likely. Yeah the Indian team has batsmen who've done well in the past in Aus but given their recent form and the 2 wickets which fell you would have to be pretty optimistic to expect a draw.

artist

Banned
To be honest the chance of a draw was highly unprobable after yesterday, Possible sure but not very likely. Yeah the Indian team has batsmen who've done well in the past in Aus but given their recent form and the 2 wickets which fell you would have to be pretty optimistic to expect a draw.
You didnt get the memo, troll!

Yagharek

To be fair, they are only really coming into form now. This is the nucleus of what will hopefully be a good lineup come the next tours of S.Africa and England.

Rezbit

Assuming they don't break down, Pattinson and Cummins in the same team really is mouth-watering. Add Hilfy on fire and Siddle improved and more consistent...looking promising.

And I don't want to rag on a guy while he's down...but not having Johnson in the team is really helping...

To be fair, they are only really coming into form now. This is the nucleus of what will hopefully be a good lineup come the next tours of S.Africa and England.

Coincidentally against a batting team that is struggling for form. I think Australias bowling line up is getting better but i think some people are getting carried away. It wasn't that long ago that most people were saying Hilfenhaus was terrible (i don't mean on here).

Yagharek

Coincidentally against a batting team that is struggling for form. I think Australias bowling line up is getting better but i think some people are getting carried away. It wasn't that long ago that most people were saying Hilfenhaus was terrible (i don't mean on here).

That may be partially true, but playing against out of form teams is still a valid way to improve on form. It works for batting - playing against a bunny side and getting some runs can help a batsman build confidence and get some runs.

Rezbit

Hobart :( Might I add though...gypped with a no-call on the wide and balls that touched the rope on the full called 4 :|

legend166

If we start discarding spinners every time they fail against India, we'll never have a spinner with a career that lasts longer than two years.

Grug

Indian Gentleman: "Twenty20 should be trashed, and test cricket should be promoted. IPL brings in a lot of money and test cricket is being sacrificed because of that".

Indeed good sir. Indeed.

artist

Banned
Excuses will always be there. The real question is will the Indian batting find some sort of a comeback? I dont think India's batting was this bad in the last 10 years. Even in the '03 tour they grinded Australia and spoiled Steve Waugh's farewell game .. I remember Sehwag getting a 190+ in the boxing day test, Dravid getting a century or double in the series and Tendulkar getting a few in as well.

I dont think India's bowling is the main problem. They have bowled out Australia twice at MCG. At SCG they gave up too quickly but full credit to Ponting/Clarke for fighting it out on Day 1. From Day 2, the pitch was dead and the whole team attitude was wrong.

Sometimes I miss the aggression that Ganguly showed, in Dhoni. He's the cool-as-cucumber captain but doesnt need to be one dimensional like that.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
It's not so bad. ABC is saying the Stars V Renegades game crowd might get up to 40,000. Will help grow the game and get more kids into the game I guess.

what India needs is youngsters. Too much politics and corruption across the board to get real talent out many times. One of the guys from our area was amazing fast bowler. He played for the city and was the best. When he went to state side and ranji time money became issue. This was however 15 years ago so things might have changed now. Older player need to retire. I do not care even if india looses like bitch. They already do with big once in the team. They need to rotate players. Reward good performance and punish bad once. Culture of entitlement has to be changed.

Anyways back to good thing Kalis: double century, 6 catch and 3 wicket in 150th test. That is how you do it bitches.

Top Bottom