• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

| 1 4lb W . W . | 3 . . W 1 W | W

Lol, oh England.

In batting order:

Gambir, vijay, kohli, rohit, sehwag, Raina, Saha, Pathan, Kahn,yadav, ashwin

Raina and rohit sharma are very good odi batsmen who don't get a test run cause of the "greats". The whole tean above all has test experience already. Sehwag is in as captain but if I knew more of the up and comers in Indian cricket, i would play one of them and keep dhoni in as captAin. Maybe even yuvraj would get a run if he is healthy.

I think they do need to bite the bullet and drop the lot.

I can't see the changes happening though, the bcci seems content on just winning home matches. Haha!

Can't say i really disagree with any of that. I suspect there will be few if any changes though.

Yagharek

Holy shit Pakistan. Amazing results O.O

I'll never get why they seem to get involved in shadier business deals. They don't need to. They may not be the most 'professional' cricket nation, but they seem to produce the most raw talent.

It will be great to see them back playing regularly, and hopefully all controversy is behind them. They can be a very dangerous team to lots of other sides.

beast786

OMG OMG OMG !!!

Its 6 AM here. Thank god it was friday so I able to watch the whole thing. Unbelievable !!

bhangra.gif

bhangra.gif

bhangra.gif

eSearchBook.1228897740.PakistanFlag.jpg

Beating the #1 team in the world.

Also, all respect for England.

DeSo

Banned
Awesome to see Pakistan doing well, that was something else. Did not think they had enough runs on the board but their spinners were BRILLIANT.

Yagharek

I don't think it's that. They want to win overseas. They just refuse to acknowledge the best way to do that or how they've failed thus far. It always goes back to "We're number 1, we play the cricket we always play. We're good at home. No one can beat us there".

Its a bad mindset to have. When Australia rose to power in 1995, their express goal was to beat the best - the West Indies - at their own home grounds. Nothing less was acceptable and the kind of performances that Taylor, Waugh, and young McGrath and Warne put in showed it. No team can claim to be number one without beating as many teams away as possible. India just doesn't have that attitude. 8 lost tests proves it.

Holy shit Pakistan. Amazing results O.O

I'll never get why they seem to get involved in shadier business deals. They don't need to. They may not be the most 'professional' cricket nation, but they seem to produce the most raw talent.

It will be great to see them back playing regularly, and hopefully all controversy is behind them. They can be a very dangerous team to lots of other sides.

Yep, they are one of my favourite teams to watch when on song. I was saying a few pages back how much they are loved in Australia. I think it's because of their actual ability and also because they come to play cricket without sulking, whinging, or making some sort of controversy out of nothing, unlike other teams from the sub-continent...

Congratulations Pakistan, I hope the improvement continues and we see you back as one of the teams to beat.

Its a bad mindset to have. When Australia rose to power in 1995, their express goal was to beat the best - the West Indies - at their own home grounds. Nothing less was acceptable and the kind of performances that Taylor, Waugh, and young McGrath and Warne put in showed it. No team can claim to be number one without beating as many teams away as possible. India just doesn't have that attitude. 8 lost tests proves it.

Yep, couldn't have said it better myself.

Stunning, what a final innings. All credit to Pakistan, obliterated them with that spell of bowling. Abdur Rehman will be on top of the world tonight.

Sorry England, but I want to see the Australian's crush you next time around ;)

Rezbit

Just finished watching an okay but fairly mundane BBL final, and then check the Pak/Eng score...AND WOW. Amazing. Spectacular. Beautiful.

Dynedom

Yeah and/or they simply don't have the means to do it. 0 and 8 surely goes beyond just attitude. There's a deeper problem. There have to be some big shakeups. Relying on a dubious home record and "their style of cricket" is a tired fallback position, as you pointed out.

Sri Lanka took a long time to realize this too and they're slowly making an effort.

edit: This stubborness almost seems to be born out of fear/insecurity. Like they know once the remove names like Dravid, Sachin, Sehwag, etc from their lineups that they'll have nothing left. Well whose fault is that? How are your domestic programs that bad? Surely there are more batsmen like Virat Kohli in the woodwork? If a smaller nation like Sri Lanka can churn out prospects like Chandimal and Thirimanne (with an idiotic and corrupt cricket board at the helm) how the hell is India unable to do that? They can.

And if your team is going to suffer in the short run, SO WHAT. Rebuilding isn't a rosy process but it's a process.

When you want to become better at chess, you play the experts.

****ing this. Probably not related to what I'm saying but this nails it.

bbyybb

CGI bullshit is the death knell of cinema
I only just seen the score and read through the ball by ball coverage on cricinfo.

What a collapse from England. Well played from Pakistan.

DeSo

Banned
Honestly it's been a struggle to watch him for two years, even at Sydney where he got his breakthrough 100 you could tell he wasn't quite right... but he was incredible at Adelaide, sure it was a batting paradise but he was so set and balanced. Wonderful to watch.

artist

Banned
Irfan, seriously you need some psychiatric help...
Oh you .. pot, kettle, black.

Nothing about the sledge was low at all.
The sledge was along the lines of "you want to run yourself out in the 90s again do you, you f'n goose". I know that was the sledge as I am good mates with a couple of sth Australian state cricketers who asked Lyon what it was about.
Ok .. I'll got some info from my buddy who's buddy with Ishant and he said the opposite ..

It was in reference to kohli running himself out before when he was close to a century. Kohli cracked, exactly what the sledge was intended for. Yes, it was classic that hilf got him out with a run out, he would have enjoyed it!
Kohli didnt crack, he got to his century. When Hilf got him run out, it wasnt due to the sledge, it was due to Kohli's immaturity of protecting the night watchman. You are one confused person.

No, we don't count victories like that. The only victories we count are the matches we win (Australia 3, India 0 isn't it?).
Good, one ball moral victories dont count was my point and glad you can atleast get this.

Lyon got laxman twice, sehwag, and tendulkar this match. It's also only his tenth or so first class match. He will be ok on rank turners, in fact he will probably enjoy bowling on something that will turn. He has bowled better than your spinner and India have played him worse than we have of ashwin ( check out the strike rates).

Even Clarke has been more effective than ashwin this series.
Yeah. Give Ashwin a lead of 400 and an attacking field and he's miles better than both Lyon and Clarke combined and Ashwin's not the best spinner that India's got either.

It's not hard to not yell a profanity. Who cares if his neck was on the axe and fans were calling for blood, same circumstances for pointing and hussey but they didn't yell out "go fuck you sister". In fact they were under more pressure as if they got dropped at their age, they wouldn't have time to get back in the team.
You probably missed the part where I explained it's usage - its similar to "FUCK!" if you dont direct it towards anyone.

This is the start of the fall for India. It has taken Australia a huge couple of years of reform of youth academies, state cricket, national selection and soon to be a remake of the cricket Australia board and only now are we starting to see some benefits.

It will take a lot longer for the bcci to make any of the changes which are needed in Indian cricket at the moment so get ready to enjoy the ride, it's going to be a long one.

The "golden generation" of Indian cricket is over and frankly, there isn't much to celebrate about it. Test no. 1 ranking for about a year, one world cup, and still never winning a series in Australia.
Aw, I love doom and gloom posts. They're funny.

Yep, they need more hungry players but more specifically they need more decent, hungry bowlers.

Forget sentiment, they also need to get rid of Dravid, laxman, tendulkar, dhoni. You guys have enough good young batsment to make runs at test level.

Bring in some youth that will preform and maybe kohli won't be under so much pressure.
2edz0v5.jpg.gif

lol, no

I hope so. Dude is legend though. he should retire but shutting the critics down and in great form. Unlike "Other" legends.
Kallis should quit no? What if he sticks around till 2015 WC and plays like shit?

artist

Banned
Btw, congrats to Australian cricket team for a dominating series win. I predicted a 3-0 loss but looks like I overestimated India even in that prediction. It's a shame that the Australian fans didnt have much of a belief in their team.

Would have loved if Punter of Siddle would've got the MoS, especially Siddle who I think was the biggest factor in the 4-0 win.

irfan said:
Ok .. I'll got some info from my buddy who's buddy with Ishant and he said the opposite ..

Ha, good one, we all know you don't have any friends.

Fact is, that was what the sledge was about.

Nothing about sisters, mothers or any other family member.

Indians don't understand the art of sledging, a sledge will be personal, but only at the individual, never directed at a family member. Also, a sledge will be about their ability, never about the skin color. And the best sledges are the ones Which are witty.

Kohli's and Siddle's comments (see next two quotes) allude the fact the sledge was about the run out and my mates wouldn't need to lie about what a sledge is about so I'll believe their story.

Kohli said:
"Hilfenhaus said something that was totally unnecessary, out of the blue," Kohli said.

"He wasnt even bowling or anything. I survived that run out and he said something which I can't say obviously in a Press conference"

"I gave it back to him, saying you did no have anything to do with it, why would you say that?"
Siddle said:
"It was just a bloke who batted well to get to 99 and for a bloke to run himself out ridiculously, we were just trying to say you do not want to do that to yourself, throw your wicket away.

"It was a matter of settling him down," a tongue-in-cheek Siddle said.

irfan said:
Kohli didnt crack, he got to his century. When Hilf got him run out, it wasnt due to the sledge, it was due to Kohli's immaturity of protecting the night watchman. You are one confused person.

If that reaction wasn't cracking, then it's obvious that you don't get what cracking is about. Just because he lasted four more run scoring shots doesn't mean kohli won the mind games.

When hilf ran him out, why do you think kohli beat himself up so much about it (apart from being totally ludicrous run). He was pissed off about getting ran out by someone who was giving him shit about getting run out the day earlier.

irfan said:
Yeah. Give Ashwin a lead of 400 and an attacking field and he's miles better than both Lyon and Clarke combined and Ashwin's not the best spinner that India's got either.

You don't have to be leading to set an attacking field, durr.

Maybe they should have played their best spinner then, durr.

irfan said:
You probably missed the part where I explained it's usage - its similar to "FUCK!" if you dont direct it towards anyone.

I think it was directed to the Aussie cricketers, the people who were giving kohli crap about his running between the wickets.

I am going to believe Shara Urga over you, sorry.
"Having reached his first Test hundred, Kohli leapt into the air, waved his bat, kissed his helmet and produced a lip-readable Hindi profanity in celebration - one directed at brothers worldwide, as it involved all their sisters."

The guy seems obsessed with incest for some reason....

irfan said:
Aw, I love doom and gloom posts. They're funny.
that is good you enjoy them as it is the start of them for India. Haha

irfan said:
2edz0v5.jpg.gif

lol, no

Haha, it is hilarious reading Indians sticking their heads in the sand about their problems.

It took a while for Australia to realize there needed to be huge changes in cricket in Australia to get us back to the top.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes india.

irfan said:
Btw, congrats to Australian cricket team for a dominating series win. I predicted a 3-0 loss but looks like I overestimated India even in that prediction. It's a shame that the Australian fans didnt have much of a belief in their team.

Would have loved if Punter of Siddle would've got the MoS, especially Siddle who I think was the biggest factor in the 4-0 win.

So this is the post to try and make it sound like you are not some grumpy one-eyed Indian cricket fan? You probably should add in a congratulations to Pakistan as well, considering how much crap you have been trying to deal towards beast.

Good prediction, you realized how shit India is at cricket away from india before the series. I've been thinking it for a while myself, ever since, well, ever.

artist

Banned
Ha, good one, we all know you don't have any friends.
I'm not the one who's a full retard, as shown by your previous idiotic argument with Window. ;) Even your own mates, dont bother entertaining your shit .. :D

Fact is, that was what the sledge was about.
Pulling things out of your butthole = FACT. Oooh! Neither Hilf nor Kohli have said publicly what the sledge was about so yeah, no FACTO!

Nothing about sisters, mothers or any other family member.

Indians don't understand the art of sledging, a sledge will be personal, but only at the individual, never directed at a family member. Also, a sledge will be about their ability, never about the skin color. And the best sledges are the ones Which are witty.
Yeah, right. Like Australians never sledge about something really low. How does Lara's dick taste is very witty among countless others. If Pakistan's tradition is of ball-tampering, match-fixing, sledging is purely an Australian tradition.

Kohli's and Siddle's comments (see next two quotes) allude the fact the sledge was about the run out and my mates wouldn't need to lie about what a sledge is about so I'll believe their story.
Kohli's comment was Hilf's comment. Siddle's comment was the general sledging, no mention of what Hilf said to Kohli, end of your own argument there.

If that reaction wasn't cracking, then it's obvious that you don't get what cracking is about. Just because he lasted four more run scoring shots doesn't mean kohli won the mind games.
facepalm

If Kohli cracked then he would have got out on 99. He made another 16 odd runs and might have lasted more if not for a ridiculously bad decision. But yeah, he definitely cracked, facepalm.

When hilf ran him out, why do you think kohli beat himself up so much about it (apart from being totally ludicrous run). He was pissed off about getting ran out by someone who was giving him shit about getting run out the day earlier.
Yeah right. Kohli was pissed definitely because it was a ridiculous run. If he was run out by Brett Lee, he would have beat himself up equally. He values his wicket a lot. But yeah, you are definitely wanting to see things because they're on your mind, so keep seeing them.

You don't have to be leading to set an attacking field, durr.
Yeah, as evidenced by Clarke getting defensive when Sehwag cracked a few fours with 450+ runs to go. lol

Maybe they should have played their best spinner then, durr.
Its the same case as Australia playing Haddin.
lol

I think it was directed to the Aussie cricketers, the people who were giving kohli crap about his running between the wickets.
Ok .. why dont you ask Kohli yourself. He's got a twitter account.

I am going to believe Shara Urga over you, sorry.
"Having reached his first Test hundred, Kohli leapt into the air, waved his bat, kissed his helmet and produced a lip-readable Hindi profanity in celebration - one directed at brothers worldwide, as it involved all their sisters."

The guy seems obsessed with incest for some reason....
How you got incest from that is purely mind boggling.

that is good you enjoy them as it is the start of them for India. Haha
Makes no sense, are you card reader as well?

Haha, it is hilarious reading Indians sticking their heads in the sand about their problems.

It took a while for Australia to realize there needed to be huge changes in cricket in Australia to get us back to the top.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes india.
Tendulkar is the second leading run scorer for India this series and has a tremendous overseas record. It's quite clear why you are calling for his head (no one is) ... keep fighting the
losing
fight!

So this is the post to try and make it sound like you are not some grumpy one-eyed Indian cricket fan? You probably should add in a congratulations to Pakistan as well, considering how much crap you have been trying to deal towards beast.
No, I'm showing up in this thread despite the big losses. Something you Aussies dont have the balls to do. As for congratulating Pakistan, all Indians are supporting Pakistan this series, like they do support any sub-continent team playing other opponents. Pakistani fans dont do the same. Also I like giving beast a crap because he asked for it, Pakistani cricket team is not the target.

Also quite surprised that you havent whined about the UAE pitch being "wrank turner". I hope Australia gets to play a few games on the same type of Pitches against Ajmal/Rehman combo. :D Good on Pakistan for playing to their strength.

Good prediction, you realized how shit India is at cricket away from india before the series. I've been thinking it for a while myself, ever since, well, ever.
lol

Anyway, I'm done with you wasting my time. Kept saying this but thought you'd come around and start making sense at some point but clearly thats beyond hope now. So stop wondering as to why I'm not responding to your "posts". (Not going to put you on ignore either cause your delusions are mildly humorous)

Fezan

Well played pakistan.But dont let this vicotry get into your heads and play the rest of the sries sensibily.And please do something about batting too. Younus is not in form let him go and also the second fast bowler whose name even i forgot.

artist

Banned
Well played pakistan.But dont let this vicotry get into your heads and play the rest of the sries sensibily.And please do something about batting too. Younus is not in form let him go and also the second fast bowler whose name even i forgot.
You can drop Junaid but Younus? I mean the current team has a good bunch of young ones, you need to mix it with some experienced players also. Cant have a completely inexperienced team.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Michael Clarke (capt), David Warner, Ricky Ponting, Peter Forrest, Daniel Christian, David Hussey, Michael Hussey, Matthew Wade, Brett Lee, Ryan Harris, Mitchell Starc, Xavier Doherty, Clint McKay, Mitchell Marsh

Pretty different team.

midonnay

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/indias-pitch-for-wicket-dries-up-20120130-1qppd.html

The drama started when the Indians changed their practice schedule yesterday morning, arriving at the Homebush Bay venue at 9am to the surprise of stadium and Cricket NSW officials.

Burdett refused to divulge whether India had been expected at the ground but explained to Fletcher that it was impossible to dry the practice wickets, which had been covered, after Sydney's wet weather last week.

The Indians were fearful the wickets would be too lively for their batsmen, who have been comprehensively outplayed by Australia's pacemen in local conditions, and restricted their players to throwdowns in the nets.

wow, even afraid to practice on what they thought was going to be a bowler friendly pitch....

says it all really

artist

Banned

beast786

England can retain the number one team spot with a win in the final Test against Pakistan which begins in Dubai on Friday.

Defeat or a draw against Pakistan would leave the way open for South Africa to return to the number one spot if they win all three home Tests against New Zealand in March.

If England retain the number one ranking for the April 1 cut-off date they will receive the 175,000 US dollars prize awarded to the side who top the Reliance ICC Test Championship table.

Interesting.

artist

Banned
Same incident minus the fanboyism

Cricinfo said:
The first occasion for India will be at Sydney's Stadium Australia, a multi-purpose venue originally built for the Olympics. India have no clue what to expect from the ground. They practised there yesterday, but could only do fielding drills because the practice pitches - in a corner, almost under the roof - were damp. Today India, like Australia, shifted base to the more traditional SCG. Dhoni said that shouldn't be much of a handicap because Australia too haven't played much at the venue.

Also no word if Australian team practiced on the same wet pitch. So yeah, pussies alright.

Top Bottom