• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Grug

DI3hr.jpg

That's so good.

DI3hr.jpg

What a run out!

Bring on the "wrank twruners"!

The best part about the run out - Hilfy was giving Kohli crap about running himself out in the 90s the other day (that was what the "sledging" was about) and today he ran him out. Classic!

I hope the cricket is over early tomorrow, 4 days of beers, scorching sun, and laughing at the pathetic Indian team has been great fun but hit the back pocket hard and I have heaps of study to do on Sunday.

irfan said:
It also made his celebratory gestures on getting his hundred even more satisfactory - maiden ton and all that, his name was also on the chopping block.

cricinfo said:
Having reached his first Test hundred, Kohli leapt into the air, waved his bat, kissed his helmet and produced a single word in celebration: a very lip-readable Hindi profanity - one directed at brothers worldwide, as it involved all their sisters.
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/551153.html

what a class act that Kohli is. Totally satisfactory celebration though, hey irfan?

Yagharek

India control world cricket .. whine like a bitch about it.

They rule it everywhere but where it counts: on the pitch.

And kholi, whilst talented, is a petulant and reactionary type. Perfect target for clever sledges. He paints a bullseye for himself.

Andiie

Unconfirmed Member
I liked Kohli, he was one of the highlights of the series for me. One of the only Indians to show any passion and fight. He ended up 3rd behind Clarke and Ponting in overall runs and was the only Indian to reach triple figures.
There have been a lot worse personalities in cricket than him.

artist

Banned
Bring on the "wrank twruners"!

The best part about the run out - Hilfy was giving Kohli crap about running himself out in the 90s the other day (that was what the "sledging" was about) and today he ran him out. Classic!
"Low" sledging is classic? Classy Australia.

Also not sure how "rank turners" is relevant. If bowling one, ONE ball with close-in fielders to a nightwatchman is any sort of moral victory, then India had many such victories in the field.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/551153.html

what a class act that Kohli is. Totally satisfactory celebration though, hey irfan?
What else did you want him to say? An oscar speech? FYI - its usage is similar to that of the F word. You probably missed my earlier post where his neck was on the axe and fans were calling for his blood. Top it off with the "low" sledging, he made a perfectly understandable reaction.

They rule it everywhere but where it counts: on the pitch.
True for the past few months & only in one version of the game.

And kholi, whilst talented, is a petulant and reactionary type. Perfect target for clever sledges. He paints a bullseye for himself.
India needs more Kohli's, they clearly lacked hunger like he had.

irfan said:
"Low" sledging is classic? Classy Australia.
Nothing about the sledge was low at all.
The sledge was along the lines of "you want to run yourself out in the 90s again do you, you f'n goose". I know that was the sledge as I am good mates with a couple of sth Australian state cricketers who asked Lyon what it was about.

It was in reference to kohli running himself out before when he was close to a century. Kohli cracked, exactly what the sledge was intended for. Yes, it was classic that hilf got him out with a run out, he would have enjoyed it!

irfan said:
Also not sure how "rank turners" is relevant. If bowling one, ONE ball with close-in fielders to a nightwatchman is any sort of moral victory, then India had many such victories in the field.

No, we don't count victories like that. The only victories we count are the matches we win (Australia 3, India 0 isn't it?).

Lyon got laxman twice, sehwag, and tendulkar this match. It's also only his tenth or so first class match. He will be ok on rank turners, in fact he will probably enjoy bowling on something that will turn. He has bowled better than your spinner and India have played him worse than we have of ashwin ( check out the strike rates).

Even Clarke has been more effective than ashwin this series.

What else did you want him to say? An oscar speech? FYI - its usage is similar to that of the F word. You probably missed my earlier post where his neck was on the axe and fans were calling for his blood. Top it off with the "low" sledging, he made a perfectly understandable reaction

It's not hard to not yell a profanity. Who cares if his neck was on the axe and fans were calling for blood, same circumstances for pointing and hussey but they didn't yell out "go fuck you sister". In fact they were under more pressure as if they got dropped at their age, they wouldn't have time to get back in the team.

irfan said:
True for the past few months & only in one version of the game.

This is the start of the fall for India. It has taken Australia a huge couple of years of reform of youth academies, state cricket, national selection and soon to be a remake of the cricket Australia board and only now are we starting to see some benefits.

It will take a lot longer for the bcci to make any of the changes which are needed in Indian cricket at the moment so get ready to enjoy the ride, it's going to be a long one.

The "golden generation" of Indian cricket is over and frankly, there isn't much to celebrate about it. Test no. 1 ranking for about a year, one world cup, and still never winning a series in Australia.

irfan said:
India needs more Kohli's, they clearly lacked hunger like he had.
Yep, they need more hungry players but more specifically they need more decent, hungry bowlers.

Forget sentiment, they also need to get rid of Dravid, laxman, tendulkar, dhoni. You guys have enough good young batsment to make runs at test level.

Bring in some youth that will preform and maybe kohli won't be under so much pressure.

Grug

Morning CricketGAF!

Oooh wicket! Nice timing. Onya Harro!

Feelin' fine today. First day of 8 days off work. Going to two Roger Waters The Wall shows next week. Australia about to wash the series. Loving it.

It's a bit harsh to be calling for the heads of Dravid and Tendulkar. They have been the strong point of Indias batting lineup for a while now (especially Dravid who has been on fire the last few years). Fair enough they played very poorly during this tour but that doesn't negate all their other performances over the last few years.

Sehwag and Dhoni though is another story. Sehwag either needs to be dropped or moved down the order and Dhoni just needs to be dropped altogether.

Edit: Do Zimbabwe still count as a proper International test team? That score against NZ is an embarrasment to cricket really.

Grug

It's a bit harsh to be calling for the heads of Dravid and Tendulkar. They have been the strong point of Indias batting lineup for a while now (especially Dravid who has been on fire the last few years). Fair enough they played very poorly during this tour but that doesn't negate all their other performances over the last few years.

No doubt they have some quality innings left in them yet but I guess the flipside of the argument is that they aren't going to get any younger and the big innings are just going to get fewer and fewer.

The Indian side clearly needs new blood, and soon. The reality is that it's a performance based industry and at the age of Ponting, Hussey, Laxman, Tendulkar, Dravid and Dhoni... you simply have to keep demanding selection. Reputation helps but the credit in the bank dissolves quickly. It has not been a good series for the latter four.

At least two would have to go you'd think. Laxman and Dhoni for mine... Short term pain for long term gain.

The Grim Reaper was shadowing Ponting and Hussey very, very closely at the start of this series. Ponting especially has managed to postpone his execution with a superb series. But it very easily could have gone the other way. Such a fine line in elite level sport.

midonnay

I'm hope the indians put up more fight in the short form.....otherwise it'll be a waste of a summer of cricket in terms of entertainment :/

Grug

I'm hope the indians put up more fight in the short form.....otherwise it'll be a waste of a summer of cricket in terms of entertainment :/

I have been pretty damn entertained this series...

- emergence of our new generation pace attack
- some brilliant career saving innings by Ponting (winding back the clock in a big way) and Hussey
- Clarke continuing to blossom as a batsman and captain
- That destructive Warner innings
- Some amazing catches and run-outs
- Bill Lawry in career-best form in the comm-box
- Healy stacking it on the Segway.
- Haddin bringing the lulz.

But yeah, in terms of a competitive spectacle, I'll admit it has been pretty damn disappointing.

ItAintEasyBeinCheesy

it's 4th of July in my asshole
Good stuff, now to keep expectations realistic and see if we can produce against some other decent competition.

If we had as many good batters as we've got bowlers we'd be laughing.

I'm really looking forward to Australia vs SA now. It will be good to see how they go against a team who isn't playing absolute shit house. Should be a fun series and hopefully a lot more competitive.

No doubt they have some quality innings left in them yet but I guess the flipside of the argument is that they aren't going to get any younger and the big innings are just going to get fewer and fewer.

The Indian side clearly needs new blood, and soon. The reality is that it's a performance based industry and at the age of Ponting, Hussey, Laxman, Tendulkar, Dravid and Dhoni... you simply have to keep demanding selection. Reputation helps but the credit in the bank dissolves quickly. It has not been a good series for the latter four.

At least two would have to go you'd think. Laxman and Dhoni for mine... Short term pain for long term gain.

I agree 100% percent that they need new blood. However you can't get rid of everyone at once. Laxman, Dhoni and Sehwag are all good candidates to be dropped especially if India actually want to compete overseas.

Tendulkar and Dravid have been good outside of this series and actually tend to play well overseas. That plus they are a good influence on the younger batsmen. I would keep them for a bit longer.

The Grim Reaper was shadowing Ponting and Hussey very, very closely at the start of this series. Ponting especially has managed to postpone his execution with a superb series. But it very easily could have gone the other way. Such a fine line in elite level sport.

I agree but i just think it needs to be taken over a longer period than one series.

Grug

Onya Sids.

Deserves the MOTM. He is the barometer of the side IMO.

His passion and work ethic lifts the whole team.

midonnay

whats with the shitty prizes?

a tiny red bat? a shitty novelty check?

where's the crystalware? >_<

I have been pretty damn entertained this series...

- emergence of our new generation pace attack
- some brilliant career saving innings by Ponting (winding back the clock in a big way) and Hussey
- Clarke continuing to blossom as a batsman and captain
- That destructive Warner innings
- Some amazing catches and run-outs
- Bill Lawry in career-best form in the comm-box
- Healy stacking it on the Segway.
- Haddin bringing the lulz.

true that....just expected more after past battles.

Zapages

Irfan, seriously you need some psychiatric help...

Pakistan is not doing so hot against England right now... Hope Adnan Akmal and Azhar Ali are able to stay till the end of lunch or day for any hope for Pakistan to salvage this match.

Sehwag and Dhoni though is another story. Sehwag either needs to be dropped or moved down the order and Dhoni just needs to be dropped altogether.

It's another 10 mths until India play their next test. Dravid will be almost 40, tendulkar will be 39 with almost 2 years since his last test hundred.

Yep, drop them.

I suspect David will retire and so will tendulkar if he gets a 100 in a one day match before then though.

Dynedom

Even though Sri Lanka have been struggling, I'm glad to see them taking risks and putting in new blood into the side, often young. Chandimal is such a huge prospect in both ODIs and Tests. Thirimanne is another one. Really happy about Kosala Kulasekera. Might be a potential all-rounder but not there quite yet.

We just need to churn out some good new young bowlers. Jayawardena needs to think about retiring. He is tarnishing his legacy the more the plays at this point. Dilshan's time is almost up too but hopefully relinquishing the captaincy loosens him up a bit. He seemed caged.

We lost in South Africa but at least they were respectable losses. I'm not going to pull a "SA won the series because of D/L" thing because I'm not one of those fans. Match could have gone either way. 2-1 in the tests (recording our first ever win on South African soil) and not laying down to bring the ODI series to 3-2 was a great effort.

If anything, I'd say the side was more disappointing in England.

It's another 10 mths until India play their next test. Dravid will be almost 40, tendulkar will be 39 with almost 2 years since his last test hundred.

Yep, drop them.

I suspect David will retire and so will tendulkar if he gets a 100 in a one day match before then though.

So what do you suggest their batting line-up should look like in the near future? Because Dhoni, Laxman and Sehwag have all been playing worse than Tendulkar or Dravid. Should they just drop their entire batting line-up?

I know they need to get rid of Tendulkar and Dravid and bring in new blood very soon. The problem is the rest of the team is just playing so bad.

I guess maybe India need to just bite the bullet and have a fresh start almost for their batting line-up. You're right that Dravid and Tendulkar are both right around the corner from retiring anyway.

Gonna be a pretty tough time for India unless they have some real good young batsmen coming through (which i suspect they don't or you would think they would be giving them a chance).

Dynedom

Just read the Cricinfo bit about Sehwag's comments in the Presser after the match. It epitomizes everything wrong with Indian cricket. I mean, one of his immediate responses was "We won 2-0 in India".

Yagharek

Just read the Cricinfo bit about Sehwag's comments in the Presser after the match. It epitomizes everything wrong with Indian cricket. I mean, one of his immediate responses was "We won 2-0 in India".

Its like they have no ambition to win away from home. Until they can do so, they will never be a great team.

beast786

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/551153.html

India's road rage masks their inadequacy

A day ago, Virat Kohli played an innings that can be described in three words: sparky, spunky and spiky. Having reached his first Test hundred, Kohli leapt into the air, waved his bat, kissed his helmet and produced a lip-readable Hindi profanity in celebration - one directed at brothers worldwide, as it involved all their sisters.

After the day's play, Kohli spoke openly about his struggles to find his feet in Test cricket and then talked about being abused by the crowd and being sledged by the Australians when close to his century. Kohli had "flipped the bird" at a section of the Sydney crowd during the Test there, earning a 50% docking of his match fee. He tweeted later that the crowd had said the "worst things" about, surprise, surprise, mothers and sisters.

Before the Perth Test, Ishant Sharma "flipped", at a go-karting track when heckled by some locals. Two days before Adelaide, Gautam Gambhir made a statement about how India needed to prepare "rank turners" for Australia's next tour of India.

Ishant is one of the team's more peaceable, hardworking fellows. Gambhir is often spoken of as the next India captain, a perennial "fighter" who goes from anger to calm and back in a matter of minutes.

Kohli's batting is a thing of beauty, confidence, ambition. See him whip the ball through covers or pull a quick off his face, like he did earlier this week, and his quality shouts at top volume. An otherwise thoughtful, well-spoken, gifted cricketer, he is now close to being trapped by his extra attachment: of the instant profanity as a primary means of expressing joy or sorrow or irritation or exultation. At top volume, like in Adelaide.

Now all this flipping out in public and "bring it to my patch, mate" may look like a manifestation of aggro by the "new India" but it really is a version of road rage.

For the last six months and seven (and a half) overseas Tests, India's Test team - suddenly a gridlocked generation - has been unable to make progress anywhere. Never mind getting close to a destination on this journey, they are struggling to cover mere inches. Since the England tour, the team finds itself boxed in on all sides by the opposition, squeezed for room in every department, the frustration within them and the noise around them growing louder and more shrill.

Some players have been stoic, some disoriented (R Ashwin said that all talk about 4-0 and England was "the biggest detriment" to the team), others effectively witty, like Zaheer Khan in his exchange of sweet nothings with Brad Haddin. The most visible (and audible) public reactions - from Kohli, Ishant and Gambhir - though, are the extreme, illogical responses of road rage. Its lashed-out fury attempts to mask or distract from the general inadequacy visible on the field in England and Australia.

Macho posturing aims to elevate all such responses under the blanket term of "giving it back". Except that real paybacks must always be reflected on the scoreboard. Otherwise cricketers can easily turn into caricatures. Had they not begun to win Tests overseas, Sourav Ganguly's "new India" would merely have looked ridiculous.

Kohli's century will earn him much respect, as it should. All through the ODI series, though, he is going to be singled out by crowds in Australia, and by the fielders, again and again. He won't be the first Indian batsman to be abused by crowds or sledged by his opponents. In the end, however, being either the most successful or the most consistent, the most entertaining or the most effective, is all that will count.

Don't worry about Ben Hilfenhaus and Kohli much. Players on both sides will eventually sort out their arguments, maybe become all buddy-buddy in the IPL. Gambhir and Peter Siddle may even do a cutesy ad together.

But are younger players in the Indian dressing room being ticked off by older and hopefully wiser folk for flipping people the bird or empty chatter? Because none of this reflects well on the Indian team or what it looks like on the outside.

What about if all this had happened in India? What if all this rage was to be found in members of a visiting team trailing 0-3 in a four-Test series in India?

What if, during the second Test, down 0-1, a visiting player showed the crowd the middle finger and complained that he was abused? (Which, in any case, happens in heaps in India, and to the Indian players themselves.) Another fellow does the same to some yahoos heckling him during a tourist excursion before the third Test. The visitors' young spinner says that the constant talk of being blanked out Test after Test has been the biggest detriment to his team's during the series. Their future captaincy candidate declares that when the Indians toured their country next, they would get "gardens" to bat on.

What would that visiting team have been called in India? There's one word for it and it's not even a profanity.

Whingers.

DeSo

Banned
Haha.

I've been switching between BB and Pak vs Eng, the latter getting most of my attention.

If only Pakistan had a few more runs to play with. England will probably get home. And Strauss shouldn't be out there.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
This is over. Sydney Sixers win it. Less than 50 runs to win with 8 overs to go and all wickets in hand.

So what do you suggest their batting line-up should look like in the near future? Because Dhoni, Laxman and Sehwag have all been playing worse than Tendulkar or Dravid. Should they just drop their entire batting line-up?

I know they need to get rid of Tendulkar and Dravid and bring in new blood very soon. The problem is the rest of the team is just playing so bad.

I guess maybe India need to just bite the bullet and have a fresh start almost for their batting line-up. You're right that Dravid and Tendulkar are both right around the corner from retiring anyway.

Gonna be a pretty tough time for India unless they have some real good young batsmen coming through (which i suspect they don't or you would think they would be giving them a chance).

In batting order:

Gambir, vijay, kohli, rohit, sehwag, Raina, Saha, Pathan, Kahn,yadav, ashwin

Raina and rohit sharma are very good odi batsmen who don't get a test run cause of the "greats". The whole tean above all has test experience already. Sehwag is in as captain but if I knew more of the up and comers in Indian cricket, i would play one of them and keep dhoni in as captAin. Maybe even yuvraj would get a run if he is healthy.

I think they do need to bite the bullet and drop the lot.

I can't see the changes happening though, the bcci seems content on just winning home matches. Haha!

I love their attitude at the moment. Ita hilarious to watch.
they only just won one of those tests as well....against the weakest team we have sent over there in the last 15 years, haha

Dynedom

Its like they have no ambition to win away from home. Until they can do so, they will never be a great team.

I don't think it's that. They want to win overseas. They just refuse to acknowledge the best way to do that or how they've failed thus far. It always goes back to "We're number 1, we play the cricket we always play. We're good at home. No one can beat us there".

Top Bottom