• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

artist

Banned
http://www.espncricinfo.com/england-v-india-2014/content/story/760629.html

England fast bowler James Anderson has been charged under Level 3 of the ICC Code of Conduct for allegedly "abusing and pushing Ravindra Jadeja" on the second day of the first Investec Test at Trent Bridge.

Anderson faces a ban of at least two Tests if he is found guilty as the minimum sanction for a Level 3 violation is four suspension points and two equates to missing one Test. He now faces a hearing which, according to the ICC code, needs to take place within 14 days.

The complaint was not brought by the umpires but by the India team manager, Sunil Dev, who told ESPNcricinfo he lodged the complaint only after confirming the incident with India captain MS Dhoni, other players and coach Duncan Fletcher. Players from both sides could be called to give evidence at the hearing.

"Mahi [Dhoni] and everyone complained that he [Anderson] physically touched him [Jadeja] and pushed him. It was all over the dressing room," Dev said. "It is serious matter only because you can't push anybody. So I put in a complaint with the match referee."

The ECB reacted with surprise and anger that India had reported Anderson for what they described as a "minor incident" in a press release. In retaliation, the ECB notified its intention of lodging a complaint against Jadeja as well.

Fucking double standards by the cunts at ECB. Time to get KP back for his "minor" behavioral issues.

Jezbollah

ECB has filed some sort of counter-complaint (which I cannot at right now find a link for) - but this all seems like handbags, to be frank.

KP is never coming back.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Interesting how long they waited after the incident to report it...!

Apparently they did report it 24 hours within the incident according to cricinfo. It's only now that people are starting to report it though.

BTW I am completely bemused that in an ENG vs IND series, the person cricinfo chose as the english pundit is... ian chappel. Also their sound quality is constantly terrible.

artist

Banned
cricinfo said:
On day two of the Trent Bridge Test, walking back for lunch, between the playing field and changing rooms, Anderson allegedly pushed Jadeja who had allegedly turned around suddenly in an aggressive manner. There had been continuous sledging in the last over before lunch when Jadeja survived an lbw shout.
Anderson can fuck the right off, they better discipline his ass. Or bring back KP and stop acting like double-standard willies.

Hope they ban them both.

Antiwhippy

Cooky really does things by the book doesn't he? Not looking like he's able to get another wicket, so let's have an over of bouncers around the wicket and another over of spin (as much as I like moeen) before lunch. On a greentop so fucking green I can't tell the pitch apart from the lawn.

Also prior dropping 2 catches already. Is he actually fit enough to play?

Anderson can fuck the right off, they better discipline his ass. Or bring back KP and stop acting like double-standard willies.

Hope they ban them both.

KP was a massive cunt though, we know this when he had his issues with Strauss and he was always on borrowed time when he came back.

We should wait and see the outcome before deciding if anyone should get banned.

Lovely bowled by Stokes there

BswKibICYAA0q9L.jpg

Doesn't get much more out than that

Antiwhippy

Terrible defense by jadeja, but well done moeen.

I don't think that he's the most amazing spin bowler ever, but I do think that people have been pretty unfair on him.

artist

Banned
KP was a massive cunt though, we know this when he had his issues with Strauss and he was always on borrowed time when he came back.

We should wait and see the outcome before deciding if anyone should get banned.

Lovely bowled by Stokes there
The altercation is all but confirmed by both sides.

Based on a neutral source, it seems like the sledging got a little out of hand and Jadeja aggresive "turn" towards Anderson was met with physicality. We dont know if it was wussy push or a manly push :p

Regardless, ban them both so a precedent is set that there is no place for shit like this.

Jezbollah

I tell you what - I bet India may be regretting the rejection of DRS for this series.

That was obviously not out. Binny should feel hard done by.

I tell you what - I bet India may be regretting the rejection of DRS for this series.

That was obviously not out. Binny should feel hard done by.

Perhaps they will come to their senses then and change their minds, I have no sympathy personally, doesn't everyone else use it? Although the worst decision was still that Prior one, bigger gap between bat and ball than there is between London and Manchester

BswUadYCYAAJXqY.jpg

Antiwhippy

I would have kept going with moeen till the new ball instead of plunkett honestly. Plunkett keeps going for this around the wicket bouncer strategy that is not only not working but leaking runs.

Antiwhippy

Yet again England can't close out the tail. I think that they would find that Mitchell Johnson got most of his tail end wickets against them by actually pitching it at the stumps.

Great knock by rahane.

What a surprise, another shit decision.

Hot spot shows a pretty thick enough edge, poor umpiring, absolutely ridiculous.

Bs1TR64CAAAGhc8.jpg

Its not even a small knick

Antiwhippy

I dunno if it was that much of a howler. Watching it live I thought it might have hit the front pad before the bat, but replays showed that it didn't.

I dunno if it was that much of a howler. Watching it live I thought it might have hit the front pad before the bat, but replays showed that it didn't.

Its an incorrect decision that doesn't need to exist in the game. How can the umpire have been sure it didn't hit the bat? Especially as it did, and by quite a lot?

Batmen not being given the benefit of the doubt when they should be, Prior's "edge" in the last test missed by a country mile, the lbw for the Indian guy on 146 (I can't remember his name, if I'm honest) was going well over the stumps too.

Antiwhippy

I'm not saying that it should be given out either, just to be clear.

I'm actually kinda enjoying how fast the game moves without DRS, but yeah DRS really should have been an option for this series. I don't get why the BCCI should have a say in whether something so widely used should be allowed or not.

Something else that annoys me is the 6.30pm finish and you lose the rest of the overs. Play until the light or weather craps out especially at this time of year why stop at 6.30? If they need 10 minutes break then give it to them, the extra time in the field should give them an incentive to get on with it.

Antiwhippy

Not sure if india is bowling so well that moeen needs to go into headingley mode, but good to see him hanging on. Jadeja going well though, but he doesn't really look capable of running through sides.

Also binny does not look accurate enough to be that shane watson type fourth seamer. Or does enough with the ball really. At least watson can swing it.

artist

Banned
Its an incorrect decision that doesn't need to exist in the game. How can the umpire have been sure it didn't hit the bat? Especially as it did, and by quite a lot?
We've had this, even with hotspot, tv review, super slow-mo, the who schebang. DRS still has a lot of kinks to be worked out.

As long as a test is not another Sydney Shame, it's fine.
Batmen not being given the benefit of the doubt when they should be, Prior's "edge" in the last test missed by a country mile, the lbw for the Indian guy on 146 (I can't remember his name, if I'm honest) was going well over the stumps too.
Dont forget Binny getting a poor decision in the first innings here. Again its okay as long as that's an outlier and not the norm.
Not sure if india is bowling so well that moeen needs to go into headingley mode, but good to see him hanging on. Jadeja going well though, but he doesn't really look capable of running through sides.

Also binny does not look accurate enough to be that shane watson type fourth seamer. Or does enough with the ball really. At least watson can swing it.
I dont know why Binny is picked or Jadeja for the matter. Oh wait it's Dhoni! :p

We've had this, even with hotspot, tv review, super slow-mo, the who schebang. DRS still has a lot of kinks to be worked out.

But the decisions I'm talking about would have been easily overturned with DRS not a single one of them was even remotely "close", one quick replay and they would all be overturned - whether English or Indian batsmen, I'm not trying to suggest we're getting all the bad decisions - I want a proper game of cricket

Using DRS would mean we wouldn't have had these issues, which for example if Matt Prior gets another dodgy decision against him tomorrow could effectively end his test career, no need for it when they're using the technology anyway.

Regardless of its kinks, its been proven to increase the amount of correct decisions, what will it take to get it to be used? The current level should be more than enough.

Great last few minutes for us 3 quick wickets and some decent bowling. Shame about that awful hat-trick ball by Plunkett though

Arm-guard by Rahane but thats just how it goes.

Antiwhippy

There's a weird inverse going on now in that teams seem to be winning test series overseas as opposed to last year. First Australia in South africa, then sri lanka in england, and I would be surprised if south africa doesn't win its series in sri lanka.

Once again australia is setting the trends. >_> <_<

Antiwhippy

Problem for england I feel is that there are no senior players/veterans stepping up at all. Cook is the most well-known case, but bell has been pretty terrible too. Prior's keeping gets worse and worse everytime I see him. Meanwhile broad and anderson has a few good spells but they were pretty much mediocre the rest of the time. Jadeja's counterattack was pretty awesome to watch but I keep seeing the woeful bowling letting him get away with it (to be fair, the point of the counterattack is usually to unsettle the bowler).

Also cook underbowls moeen too much. I still feel that he needs better control with his length and also some variations in speed but he had actually bowled pretty well this test (he needs to bowl over the wicket more. I don't think he gets enough bounce to stick with around the wicket unlike nathan lyon).

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Problem for england I feel is that there are no senior players/veterans stepping up at all. Cook is the most well-known case, but bell has been pretty terrible too. Prior's keeping gets worse and worse everytime I see him. Meanwhile broad and anderson has a few good spells but they were pretty much mediocre the rest of the time. Jadeja's counterattack was pretty awesome to watch but I keep seeing the woeful bowling letting him get away with it (to be fair, the point of the counterattack is usually to unsettle the bowler).

Also cook underbowls moeen too much. I still feel that he needs better control with his length and also some variations in speed but he had actually bowled pretty well this test (he needs to bowl over the wicket more. I don't think he gets enough bounce to stick with around the wicket unlike nathan lyon).

Spot on.

Cook is a piss poor captain and is batting awfully (though there are signs of life). It is just that every other established player has been poor. What can a captain do when players as experienced as Broad and Anderson bowl like they did vs. Kumar and Jadeja (they did similarly vs. Sri Lanka)? It was embarrassingly bad.

Prior should never have been back; he remained in by virtue of every other wicketkeeper failing to impress domestically (Buttler, the standout choice, is very inexperienced as a wicketkeeper).

Bell's been a bit poor, but bad form happens. Plus he's got some great/lucky deliveries.

We really miss Trott. Another experienced head in the group would be perfect. We also really need to rotate our seamers. I'm stunned it didn't happen here.

Antiwhippy

At least when Australia was shit we had Michael Clarke, and in the ashes we had brad haddin, Ryan harris and Mitchell Johnson, stepping up in a massive way (though at least our bowling is nowhere near as dire as our batting had been) as far as senior players go. Who in england can step up?

Also kind of feel that moeen don't really have to stonewall now. Hopefully he can accelerate if england wants any chance of winning. I find it a shame that he has to come into these situations so often due to the top order collapse because I rate him as a very good strokemaker, second after bell in this team.

Goddamn, he really needs to learn how to play the short ball.

Prior WTF?

Only the three men waiting for you to do that. Fucking ridiculous. Their strategy was slapping him in the face and he just went straight for it, bloody hell.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Goodbye Prior. Nice knowing you. And Stokes. What the fuck was that. Shame he can't bat anymore, because his bowling looks solid enough. Bring back Chris Jordan.

OH and there goes Root. For goodness sake.

EDIT: How stupid do you have to be? There was no subtlety to that plan. They are mentally broken. Or fucking imbeciles. Perhaps both?

Antiwhippy

I mean for god sakes you guys made plunkett bowl the same rubbish and saw how other teams made him look like rubbish. Learn from them.

Jezbollah

I actually think this is the lowest of the lows.

I can't remember a more pathetic England side. And I've been watching cricket for almost 30 years now.

Antiwhippy

What a way for things to end.

At least Ali you could say that he needs to improve his technique by actually watching the actual ball when he gets something short. Why the fuck is everyone else fucking falling to the hook? It's not even a great spell of short pitched bowling, other than the fact people keep playing shit shots.

I audibly groaned when broad got out the way he did.

The thing about replacing Cook as is captain is who do you replace him with?

Bell isn't exactly in form, is he the automatic choice because its his responsibility when Cook is off the pitch? Prior is surely going out of the team, I wouldn't give it to a bowler (Anderson/Broad) so really it comes down to Bell who despite a couple of 50s - which is admittedly much more than Cook has done, is also getting single digit scores.

Replacing Cook is easier said than done, he's 29 and still has a lot left in him. I'd bring in Jordan, Borthwick and Jos Buttler for the next test for Stokes, Prior and Broad (on the basis that Broad is carrying an injury and should get it sorted before the world cup which is what Botham said on Sky Sports)

Also, i'd consider putting Ballance with Robson as the openers for the next test, Cook comes in at 3 could make a lot of difference if they can get some runs beforehand.

Jezbollah

Bring back Strauss!
I wish

I'd bring back anyone who is half good for the job. If anything, just to lift the burden of captaincy - get him back to smashing runs in.

Dynedom

I'm going to go back to my comments after SL beat England:

Jordan, Plunkett and (maybe) Broad as your bowlers around Anderson. Bringing Stokes back was a gamble that didn't pay off. Jordan was a proven commodity.

Prior can go. SL exposed him and now India did. Let Butler have a go.

As far as I'm concerned, Cook is done.

Top Bottom