• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Imagine if the top order had done something this innings! Moeen has been fantastic today. So solid, so calm. At times he appears a little too lackadaisical and unfocused, so perhaps the situation has assisted with this.

As shit a captain as Cook is, and his fields yesterday were abysmal, there is very little you can do when even Anderson is bowling like shit. The worst thing he did was to not bowl Moeen more. I don't know what his problem with spinners is...

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Man, I'm so conflicted.

On one hand, England deserves to lose.

On the other hand, Moeen ali deserves to make a debut ton and save his country too.

Also I still want sri lanka to win.

Still though, whatever the result, it was a cracker of a test and series. Surprisingly so too.

edit: well played. Really shows his character here.

Antiwhippy

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT.

WHY WOULDN'T YOU JUST LET IT HIT YOUR HEAD.

edit: poor moeen. Sri lanka deserved that wicket but poor moeen. Played out of his skin and got so close. Hopefully it's one of many other matches though.

Fuck that was a good test though.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Brilliant test series.

Sri Lanka deserved to win this match but a drawn series would have been fair too. Sri Lanka played some brilliant cricket. Wish we had more tests against them instead of five against India.

Dynedom

Great fight back from England but once again, Sri Lanka refused to give up. Ballsy move to go for Eranga over Herath but it worked. Bouncer did Jimmy in AGAIN.

Takeaways from this series:

Sri Lanka

Angelo has cemented his role as captain. Regardless of whether Mahela/Sanga were setting fields, he chose his bowlers and he hit those 160 runs with his tail. And, fair enough, he ran out his partner.

Thirimanne's spot has to be examined. Keep him in the ODI and T20 side. I'd even say keep Chandimal in. All other batsmen are fine.

You probably don't need Prasad, Pradeep and Eranga in one team. I'd stick with Prasad and Eranga. If you want Kula in, read the pitch. I'd swap out Pradeep for Kula.

There are going to be massive holes in the batting lineup when Sanga and Mahela leave.

England

Cook has got to go. If he's not banned from the next test due to over rate, you have to consider it. He hasn't performed with the bat and he was all at sea while Sri Lanka rescued the test with the bat. He had no answers.

No issues with the rest of the batting lineup, tbh. Robson and Ballance will be good for the team. Root can stay in there.

Moeen Ali is awesome. Handy with the ball and one of the best test innings you'll ever see. Completely unselfish and disciplined. Glad he got his 100. You drop him and you're an idiot.

In terms of the bowling, having 4 pacemen was a mistake. You need that front line spinner and either drop Broad or Jordan. Plunkett you can maybe keep for Headingly and drop for Lord's. You can't get rid of Anderson. He's your best swing bowler and he's handy with the bat. Heartbreaking stuff from him but he fell the exact way he would try and get another tailender out.

----

Complete sweep by Sri Lanka in England (T20, ODI and Test series). Time to turn it up against South Africa next.

England are going to have massive problems against India if the tracks turns into a spinner's dream. Ashwin and Jadeja will murder them. Pujara is going to be hard to knock over. If Shami is chosen, he'll do well.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I don't think you can drop Cook, if only because there isn't a leader amongst them. Maybe Broad. But he would hardly be an improvement, especially seeing as his fitness needs to be managed.

For the first test vs. India: drop Plunkett (he's done well this test, but save him for specific test grounds) and Prior. Bring in Panesar and Buttler.

India will be an easier side to bat against, I think, which is hard to believe when you look at the stats of the Sri Lankan bowlers that aren't Herath. Unless we produce spinning pitches, in which case we are morons. Dhoni might give Cook a challenge for worst current Test match captain (He's a very good limited overs captain, mind).

Dynedom

re: Cook

If he's not winning you tests nor performing with the bat though...

India will be his final litmus test. If they lose the series, I don't think he can survive. Keep him in the side as an opener maybe but give the captaincy to Broad or maybe Bell.

kmag

I don't think you can drop Cook, if only because there isn't a leader amongst them. Maybe Broad. But he would hardly be an improvement, especially seeing as his fitness needs to be managed.

For the first test vs. India: drop Plunkett (he's done well this test, but save him for specific test grounds) and Prior. Bring in Panesar and Buttler.

India will be an easier side to bat against, I think, which is hard to believe when you look at the stats of the Sri Lankan bowlers that aren't Herath. Unless we produce spinning pitches, in which case we are morons. Dhoni might give Cook a challenge for worst current Test match captain (He's a very good limited overs captain, mind).

Yeah India are good team to get your average up with. I don't think talent is an issue for England, although I do think Cook, Root, Ballance and Robson all have some pretty obvious technical issues which good bowling attacks can get at. They need to find a spinner who they're comfortable giving the ball to for 40 overs, he doesn't necessarily have to be a wicket taker. Frankly, Panesar isn't in the correct head space to be selected.

The biggest concern would be the seam bowling. Broad didn't look that fit and Anderson .Both were creaking in the field Saturday/Sunday. . They still got wickets but were visibly sagging following the back to back tests. Which is a problem considering the 5 tests are taking place over 6 and a half weeks. They'll probably need to rotate seamers in.

artist

Banned
England are going to have massive problems against India if the tracks turns into a spinner's dream. Ashwin and Jadeja will murder them. Pujara is going to be hard to knock over. If Shami is chosen, he'll do well.
Don't think you've seen India matches lately. Ash win bowls around the wicket into the legs of the batsmen and Jadeja is hardly consistent. The pace attack is completely off the rails too. Don't think this dismal England side will have too many problems against India. If they do then boy ..

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Yeah India are good team to get your average up with. I don't think talent is an issue for England, although I do think Cook, Root, Ballance and Robson all have some pretty obvious technical issues which good bowling attacks can get at. They need to find a spinner who they're comfortable giving the ball to for 40 overs, he doesn't necessarily have to be a wicket taker. Frankly, Panesar isn't in the correct head space to be selected.

The biggest concern would be the seam bowling. Broad didn't look that fit and Anderson .Both were creaking in the field Saturday/Sunday. . They still got wickets but were visibly sagging following the back to back tests. Which is a problem considering the 5 tests are taking place over 6 and a half weeks. They'll probably need to rotate seamers in.

Cook is a walking wicket, but India should be good for him to get some runs and ease pressure against. He's never been technically solid, anyway.

Panesar is not in the right place mentally, but there is no other spinner in county cricket that we can use. Nobody. Not one. So if we use one, it has to be him.

We are absolutely going to have to rotate. Luckily Plunkett, Woakes, Stokes (in good bowling form too) should be able to rotate through the current lineup. I'd rotate one per test (dependent on venue). Anderson has to play at Trent Bridge, for example.

Don't think you've seen India matches lately. Ash win bowls around the wicket into the legs of the batsmen and Jadeja is hardly consistent. The pace attack is completely off the rails too. Don't think this dismal England side will have too many problems against India. If they do then boy ..

Shami might be decent in English conditions, but none of your bowlers are particularly outstanding, nor do you operate as a coherent bowling attack. I do think the test series will be close but you will lose. Nobody can England's capacity for self destruction: we pretty much won 8 days out of 10 against Sri Lanka and yet... I love India though, so I do hope you have some good days.

artist

Banned
I thought shami bowled pretty well in New Zealand.
Shami might be decent in English conditions, but none of your bowlers are particularly outstanding, nor do you operate as a coherent bowling attack. I do think the test series will be close but you will lose. Nobody can England's capacity for self destruction: we pretty much won 8 days out of 10 against Sri Lanka and yet... I love India though, so I do hope you have some good days.
Shami also has blown hot and cold. Besides, if India has to have a chance then Bhuvi needs to pick up the other end and one spinner needs to find genuine form.

Antiwhippy

Looking at the England vs India schedule, and it's kind of insane. I won't be surprised if cook's lack of form is more from burnout than anything else.

Good start by India, some quick wickets after lunch by England, dat Bell catch was masterful.

I had forgotten no DRS in this series which I'm personally not happy about. Botham saying decision making up to 97% accuracy, I don't see why they shouldn't use it personally

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
India are really stubborn about DRS. It feels like a matter of pride for them - they decided they dislike it and are sticking to that because they are the BCCI and that is what they do. Supposedly it started because Tendulkar didn't trust it, but I don't know what to make of that.

England have done well this session. Kohli and Pujara are two incredible batsmen; we have to make the most of it when they are out. Neither team have good bowlers so it is really a matter of who screws up their batting the most.

I really hope the weather holds up tomorrow as I will be at the match. It is very changeable here in Nottingham at the moment, but it looks like there might be a lot of cloud over the next few days, which may give the bowling some spice to counteract the flatness.

artist

Banned
zzzzzzzzz

Boring game except for the Bell catch so far.

Also fuck DRS, it's still hilarious to see that 3% of those wrong calls are howlers. So yes, fuck it to hell and back.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Hopefully cloud cover will spice this shit up.

I'm curious as to how those 'xx% of decisions are correct' statistic is measured. What decisions does it include?

Vijay out, great innings although it looked a bit high, hopefully they'll show hawk eye but his shake of the head suggests he thought it was.

India were the ones that didn't want DRS though...

Edit:
BsLgw72CAAAKOzS.jpg

Antiwhippy

Shit umpiring is still shit. Looked high at first and it was high.

edit: what is with dhoni and suicidal running? Not the first one this match either.

Antiwhippy

You know the wicket is flat when a guy with a test average of 3 and a Fc average of 9 scores a 50.

Still, poor cook. I bet that he's in a pretty unpleasnt place mentally now.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
I was at the match yesterday and goddamn what an awful pitch this is. Although on paper England played poorly, I don't think they really did. The bowling was tight, even Moeen wasn't that bad; there is only so much you can do when the pitch is as predictable and slow paced as this. Cook's been alright, batting-aside, and the score doesn't reflect how well he or England did. They really dried up Vijay with the fields, for example.

India's collapse was never really the result of England, it was tight bowling plus capitulation and umpire error. I was going to say that overall I was impressed by India's batting - Dhoni and Vijay played maturely and skilfully - but with the pitch as it is, I don't think we really learned anything from this. It's very depressing.

On the other hand, Dravid is great and I got to see him and Athers, my batting heroes as I grew up.

B.O.O.M

damn I need to post here more...

Great year so far for the Lankan team. The next ODI should be a fun one too..Amla is a fantastic batsman, Even if he is the opposition you just have to take your hat off to such talent

I want them to bring in Suranga Lakmal or Shaminda Eranga to replace Kula. He isn't doing a good job this series

Haven't followed the ENG-IND test match closely but checked the scorecard..looks like it might be heading for a draw unless English collapses or something. That score can't be helpful to Cook's cause either.

Robson gone lbw, looks like he edged it though on the first hot spot replay

Edit: Seems ambiguous, but its still crazy that technology isn't in use to give them time to make the right decision

Antiwhippy

Man, ishant sharma is bowling surprisingly well.

edit: jesus, I've been fine with most of the LBW decisions honestly but that Prior decision was a shocker.

Jezbollah

As much as this is giving me pleasure (Jimmy!!!) this farce must make the groundsmen in this country have a good hard look at themselves.

The result of the test being a draw was a forgone conclusion after the first day. That's not good for test Cricket.

Great innings from Jimmy and Root, particularly Jimmy as he's not scored many runs and they did what England have needed so much recently which is for someone to make a stand when they have collapsed. Broad started it when he got his 47 which helped Root too.

Hopefully we can start well with bowling and get an exciting final 4 and a half sessions although the pitch won't help us for that.

Antiwhippy

Moeen bowled his worst over all match and got a wicket out of it! :p

Usually you would hope slow pitches like this would assist spinners but this doesn't really do that either seeing how jadeja went. Though he was a tad unlucky early on I felt. Poor moeen though, India are definitely trying to hit him out of the attack.

I hope Ben Stokes is the next Flintoff but with KPs batting as time goes on. Although if he could be less of a prick than KP was that would be great

Antiwhippy

I must say that I've enjoyed dravid in all the coverage he has appeared in. Soft-spoken but well-spoken and insightful.

artist

Banned
The result of the test being a draw was a forgone conclusion after the first day. That's not good for test Cricket.
This is what happens when one team is in utter shambles and two defensive captains with one especially on the brink of being sacked.

Antiwhippy

Shame, though it's not like sri lanka has a shortage of spinners really.

I've always wondered why they preferred to use senananyake instead of herath in LOI.

Great start this morning, dat Plunkett ball was a beauty.

Cook might get a chance for some redemption if we can get them out with enough time to get the runs

Antiwhippy

This bouncer theory might work if the pitch is actually conducive to it or if it wasn't so bloody obvious.

As it is it's not working at all, yet they keep coming back to it. Meanwhile most of the wickets from the pacers were from full and straight balls. Weirdly enough.

Top Bottom