• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Originally Posted by DamageControl

So if Pakistan has fast bowlers that have done well consistently over the last year or so that is somehow our fault? How about owning up to the lack of quality of India's fast bowlers because of which India has to keep chopping and changing. If you think somehow this was our best bowling lineup, then it wasn't. We would've had Irfan in there to make you guys hop around.

The definition of strawman you got there. The point was inexperience in India's team, if you excuse that to poor form of the bowlers, injuries or retirements, that something else completely. No one is blaming you or any one else for that matter. I think Indians would have loved to play Irfan, last time they played Pakistan they had more trouble against Junaid's swing than Irfan's bounce.

If inexperience is the problem, then by that logic Ishant Sharma should be a star bowler. But we all know about his performance which is why he was dropped. That in itself tells you a lot about the quality of the bowling. Bhuvenshwar Kumar has been playing for more than a year now. Even Shami made his debut more than a year back and has been featured quite regularly. Jadeja is a regular and Ashwin has been playing since 2010. What is this inexperience you keep on about? Also, why do other teams have many players that come in and start performing yet Indian bowlers take their sweet time because they're 'inexperienced'.

India had the choice of more experience in the batting but they themselves ignored it by not choosing Gambhir, Yuvraj, Sehwag and Raina. Apart from Sehwag, all the others are not too old and can still play for a long time. They were ignored because of their performance. The only player which they truly missed and would've played of course was Dhoni who was out because of injury.

India has one of the worst bowling attacks in cricket today. What has been getting them out of jail has been their batting. I thought everyone knew that by now.

Man it must be thrilling to be a Pakistan fan, in both good and bad ways.

Exactly. It's sort of great but depressing how much the fans here are into Pakistani cricket and the games they've been putting out. We've really been at a loss from no home games. But these glimpses of such performances bring together the nation unlike anything else.

Own up, this was a sarcastic post wasnt it? :p

Thought there was no way on earth we'd get close to avoiding the bonus point, much less win the game.

I went to sleep when Shehzad was playing a Misbah and slowing the innings down immensely. So good to see he managed to make most of it up and watching the highlights he looked like he wanted to stay till the end. Good temperament, if Pakistan groom more players like this, the tag of "fragile or inconsistent batting line-up" will be gone.

Playing a Misbah is not slowing the innings down, Misbah bats like that because for almost his entire captaincy stint the top order has been garbage and he's walking out at 20/3 and carrying the entire batting lineup on his shoulders.

Imran is Imran but I'm being deadly serious when I say Misbah might be the best captain we've ever had. To have got the results he has, with three of the best players in the team banned before he took over, the PCB being even more of a shambles than it's ever been with their hands tied by the courts, the media and fans all shitting on him every chance they get, a team full of clowns for most of his tenure, not able to play any games at home, dude is a bona fide legend being unappreciated by his countrymen.

Makes me fume that complete idiots like Mohammed Yousuf have the nerve to go on TV and criticise him every goddamn day. The supposed batting great who, apart from one magical year, spent his entire career bottling it every time there was any pressure and let's not even get started on THAT Sydney test. What a cunt.

and I am just very sleepy, which is the excuse I'm using for going off on a rant like that with zero provocation. embarrassed.gif

To get things back on track, Moeen Ali's beard is lovely.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Haha yeah, surprising total considering that they were 20/3 going at 3.2 for awhile. I think this is where misbah is the most valuable to come in and stabilise things. Fawad alam played a great knock.

artist

Banned
Na Khaaney Mein, Na Peenay Mein
Jo Mazaa Hai Pakistan kay Pitnay Mein

*Firecrackers going off in India*

j/k no one really gives a crap since India isnt playing.

Fawad Alam is a good find for Pakistan, mind boggling that they didnt play him the first few games.

Dynedom

Finals jinx over (for now). Thank fuck. I hope Thirimanne continues this form. So glad they dumped Chandimal. Let Priyanjan have a go. Dinesh has had his share of chances.

Na Khaaney Mein, Na Peenay Mein
Jo Mazaa Hai Pakistan kay Pitnay Mein

*Firecrackers going off in India*

j/k no one really gives a crap since India isnt playing.

Fawad Alam is a good find for Pakistan, mind boggling that they didnt play him the first few games.

seriously you are a kid.

You could be right, but I think they've lost a bit of steam after the loss to Australia. Couple that with their not so great reputation in ICC Tournaments along with the dreaded choker tag. It will also depend greatly on Steyn's fitness plus the fact that the pitches in Bangladesh are going to be vastly different from what they're used to playing on in the recent past.

Looks like they have their work cut out for them.

Antiwhippy

Depending how the australian players can handle the spin I'd say australia. It's nearly ridiculous the amount of options they have from what I've seen.

But yeah, australia at the moment though I'm definitely biased.

You could be right, but I think they've lost a bit of steam after the loss to Australia. Couple that with their not so great reputation in ICC Tournaments along with the dreaded choker tag. It will also depend greatly on Steyn's fitness plus the fact that the pitches in Bangladesh are going to be vastly different from what they're used to playing on in the recent past.

Looks like they have their work cut out for them.

True. I can't honestly say anything other then SA. I love the team way too much .

Zapages

Anyone here excite for Don Bradman Cricket 2014??? Did any of you guys see the preview on IGN AU? It looks a lot better than Ashes 2013 and any other recent cricket games out there.

tri_willy

South Australia fast bowler Daniel Worrall will miss the start of next season after being suspended for two matches for a bizarre incident during last week's Futures League game at Toorak Park in Melbourne.

Cricket Australia said in a statement that during the match, "Worrall scratched an image of a penis and testicles into a wicket that was being prepared for a grade cricket final that coming weekend".

ahahaha omg i cant even...

artist

Banned
"Normal service" would be a gap between 1 & 2 so large that Boycott could drive a truck through it.

This tie, 3 point lead means that the ranking could change very quickly. It's just like how CA's twitter gloated on twitter only to have the no.1 see-saw in the days following. :lol

Antiwhippy

So hashim amla is the new SA test captain.

Nothing about him screams captain to me but I guess we'll see. Good luck to him.

Dynedom

You gotta love English commentators on CricInfo. "the real stuff" begins now i.e. Tests. Right. Only real when you lose another ODI series I guess.

What on earth is the point of asking if you would Mankad someone again after getting an acceptable response on why you did it in the first place? Inane questioning at the podium.

Antiwhippy

Saw the mankad. Was hilarious.

Gave a fair warning so whatever. Stop backing up so far. Dunno why the umpire even asked the captain.

Antiwhippy

Great match by the english and the sri lankans.

Only in test cricket can the first 4 3/4 days be boring as shit and yet have a fantastic last 1/4 day because of how boring the rest of the game is.

Absolutely shit pitch for pacers though and there was barely enough for the finger spinners.

Great match by the english and the sri lankans.

Only in test cricket can the first 4 3/4 days be boring as shit and yet have a fantastic last 1/4 day because of how boring the rest of the game is.

Absolutely shit pitch for pacers though and there was barely enough for the finger spinners.

Was at Lord's today. Fucking spilt my Pimm's celebrating that penultimate ball "wicket".

artist

Banned
You gotta love English commentators on CricInfo. "the real stuff" begins now i.e. Tests. Right. Only real when you lose another ODI series I guess.

What on earth is the point of asking if you would Mankad someone again after getting an acceptable response on why you did it in the first place? Inane questioning at the podium.
The salt on cricinfo's page when they didnt post about Matthews' century was so delicious. So many lankan tears there.

Seriously though Cricinfo's comms tear into pretty much most teams, except for SA & Aus.

Antiwhippy

Murali just joined the australian team as a spin coach.

Oh the irony.

Good to see old grudges moving on and for CA to actually recognise one of the greatest bowlers of our time.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
For what it is worth, the English commentators, by and large, see Tests as the real thing in spite of how well or how badly (usually badly) we are doing in limited overs matches.

Really great last session to that Test. I think Cook made the right decision to give Ballance time for his century. Normally I would say this is negative, but given the fragility and inexperience of our batting lineup it is the better long-term strategy. Plus, if Sri Lanka were going to collapse, it would be when the pressure comes on in the last session. It wasn't a minefield.

Antiwhippy

Haha, oh man, poor alastair.

While I do think that warne does love to dig into alastair's captaincy too much, but... that's not how you deal with media criticism.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
It is one of the most pathetic responses to criticism I've heard in professional sport. Sincerely I believe it is a sackable offence. How can anyone take him seriously?! '

Antiwhippy

Good lord yesterday's performance by England was just skin peelingly bad.

Angelo matthews is such a good player though.

kmag

Good lord yesterday's performance by England was just skin peelingly bad.

Angelo matthews is such a good player though.

T'was one of the most inept all round displays of cricket today from England. Even their wickets bar Jayawardene's were pretty much off crappy balls.

Angelo Mathews was great, as was Herath, when the rusty gate is bashing you like a latter day Lara then you know you're bowling filth.

Antiwhippy

T'was one of the most inept all round displays of cricket today from England. Even their wickets bar Jayawardene's were pretty much off crappy balls.

Angelo Mathews was great, as was Herath, when the rusty gate is bashing you like a latter day Lara then you know you're bowling filth.

I only watched England bowling but god it was just so bad. Fair play with trying the "get the tailender on strike and get them out" tactic, but it was so obvious after 4 overs that it wasn't working and they still kept on with it. Then by the the time they tried something new with Ali they pretty much helped herath get his eye in.

Mindboggling to say the least.

I nearly did a spittake when I saw scorecard this morning too. Near Australian-esque collapse. Poor cook. He's got no form left.

Dynedom

On the brink of a famous win. Sri Lanka's toughness is just insane. Refused to roll over.

I'm also glad they're verbally assaulting England. You take and you give right fucking back. England were talkative as hell yesterday in the field. By the close, they were deathly quiet before Prasad made a mess of them when they came to bat.

I almost choked on my food when Bell got out.

Murali just joined the australian team as a spin coach.

Oh the irony.

Good to see old grudges moving on and for CA to actually recognise one of the greatest bowlers of our time.

Almost as amazing as England now lauding the doosra because of Mooen Ali. Apparently, the doosra is only acceptable if it comes out of English hands.

---

Really surprised as Thirimanne's form this entire test series. He has been awful. Even Chandimal put up a better fight (although to be fair, Chandimal has a better test record than short form record as of late). All the pundits (Lankan and non-Lankan) calling for the selector's blood for choose Prasad over Kulasekera are awfully quiet now as well. Even Nasser was mentioning how Prasad can be rubbish but to be fair to him, he was going off what he had heard (rather than seen).

Karunaratne has a ways to go but he has the right attitude. He could learn a thing or two about letting one go from Silva though. Pretty happy with those 2 as an opening pair (mostly because I can't see anyone replacing Karunaratne). I think Thirmanne's place is a question. Hopefully he does better at home. If not, might need to consider bringing someone else in.

Antiwhippy

I do hope that Moeen Ali scores a nice fifty and keeps his place. I think he's an ok bowler who's still learning but has been horribly mismanaged by Cook. How do you expect a spinner to establish himself when you don't trust him and give him some experience?

Same problem Australia had with Lyon but thank god he's more or less secure now. Stop thinking that you can automatically find the next Warne or Swann.

Wow, that Prior decision is dreadful. Unless something else comes up that shows us a closer view looked at absolutely clear from the angles we saw he wasn't out. Shocking decision.

We were always likely to lose anyway after last night but considering how long they took to make the decision its pretty poor.

Antiwhippy

Benefit of the doubt goes to the bowler according to cricinfo.

Which is fair enough. If there's benefit of the doubt to the batsmen which happens all the time, then the opposite should happen sooner or later. :p

Top Bottom