• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

kmag

India are fucking awful. This isn't a 140/4 deck, at all. Kohli has a big reputation for someone who can't leave a length ball on off stump. England coasting to victory here, one batsman left before the tail. Still over 233 to get to avoid the follow on. India have been utterly dire this entire test, Anderson and Broad bowling well, England utterly reliant on them as Woakes looks tidy but not threatening and Jordan is bowling absolute filth. This will be finished by tea tomorrow.

India are fucking awful. This isn't a 140/4 deck, at all. Kohli has a big reputation for someone who can't leave a length ball on off stump. England coasting to victory here, one batsman left before the tail. Still over 233 to get to avoid the follow on. India have been utterly dire this entire test, Anderson and Broad bowling well, England utterly reliant on them as Woakes looks tidy but not threatening and Jordan is bowling absolute filth. This will be finished by tea tomorrow.

Is the follow on 200 runs behind or 150? I think it got changed but I can't remember what to, just 150 ahead now?

kmag

Like anybody enforces the follow on anymore.

If they can get India out for another 100 or so (a 300 lead), then they probably will. Even a session batting for England does nothing except take time out of the test. If the lead is about 250 they'll probably bat.

kmag

Is the follow on 200 runs behind or 150? I think it got changed but I can't remember what to, just 150 ahead now?

200 behind, India need another 195 with 6 wickets remaining to avoid it. It's all about taking time out of the game. For India get past the follow on (not likely) then they'll probably have to bat until lunch tomorrow. Getting past the follow on would probably mean that England would have to bat a session or two to get a 350-400 lead, leaving India 3 and a bit sessions to see out. But what's more likely to happen is India will be all out for about 300 at best the way they're going which would leave probably about 6 sessions for England to bowl them out. Barring an absolute miracle (a batting masterclass from these 6 wickets and a complete collapse from England) then any notion of a win for India is out of the window.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Honest question though, would broad and anderson be recognised as great bowlers when their time is up?

They've got the wickets to make such a claim and when they're on song I can see that they are really bloody good, but their averages and SR are pretty third seamer figures instead of strike bowlers at best. Which just tells me that they're super inconsistent.

kmag

Honest question though, would broad and anderson be recognised as great bowlers when their time is up?

They've got the wickets to make such a claim and when they're on song I can see that they are really bloody good, but their averages and SR are pretty third seamer figures instead of strike bowlers at best. Which just tells me that they're super inconsistent.

They are almost completely condition and pitch dependent. If the ball is swinging then Anderson is a world beater, if it's not then he's a medium quick who has reasonable line and length. Broad is a pretty average to good bowler most of the time who just goes on random tears through teams when conditions are favourable. I'd say Anderson has a direct analogue in someone like Boult or maybe Southee.

Basically neither is a Steyn (who is) who if it's not swinging has other options to get you out.

Antiwhippy

That's a fair assessment, though honestly nobody is a dale steyn. :p

Woakes and ali needs stop bowling into the legside.

Should have kept stokes and left out jordan. Stokes has turned completely naff with the bat but he's still bowling really well.

Antiwhippy

I thought he bowled ok against sri lanka, but I've been pretty impressed with stoke's bowling throughout the series.

Other than that lucky escape rahane has been pretty classy in this series too. Honestly been way more impressed with him than kohli or pujara.

kmag

I don't think Woakes has been that bad in a holding sense at least, he's bowled good lines. You can make a case for Woakes being the best 3rd or 4th seam bowler in English cricket with Onions recovering from an injury. Not sure you can say that about either Jordan or Stokes. Woakes is actually probably a better batsman than either Stokes or Jordan so I'm not sure why he's not really spoken about as the 4th seamer/allrounder more.

Jordan had a FC game last week where he took 3 very cheaply I think that got him in the side.

kmag

Just when India look to be rebuilding, Rohit Sharma throws his wicket away in the softest possible manner. I don't think I've seen a worse dismissal given the match situation, that was so unbelievably unnecessary especially just before tea what an absolute cock.

Antiwhippy

Jeez, that's soft.

Good on moeen for keeping it somewhat tight and giving it a little flight too.

Also dhoni's technique for test batting looks so goofy. Just so many seemingly unnecessary movements.

kmag

Ali keeps up his record of getting wickets from utter utter filth. Honestly that's the sort of shot that should precede an long spell away from test cricket.

Antiwhippy

To be fair to ali you still need to bowl ok to get people to mishit with some pretty terrible shots. :p

They're clearly trying to hit him out of the attack and it hasn't worked too well.

kmag

To be fair to ali you still need to bowl ok to get people to mishit with some pretty terrible shots. :p

They're clearly trying to hit him out of the attack and it hasn't worked too well.

He's been going for 4 an over without any risk at all. He's a barely average off spinner. He's been getting wickets off a succession of tripe balls, there's no need to go after Ali, he'll offer up a pie every couple of overs and hasn't got the skill to stop singles.

Antiwhippy

Eh, I would agree honestly. Same problem as imran tahir. Can bowl somewhat ok and than give off some pies. I disagree with below average though. I wouldn't call him world-class or even a main spin bowler really, but I can see that he gives it a bit of flight, drift and occasional spin, which I think is why he gets so many mishits. From stupid shots, but it shows that he can make indian batsmen misjudge balls.

I think that he just needs to be tighter really. No reason why he should be so inconsistent in line and length. He gives it more of a rip than your standard part-timer but not that much more.

I don't think that he should be looked at as the main spin bowler, but I think he's slightly better than your average part-timer. Also much more effective against left-handers from what I've seen.

kmag

There's another one for Ali of a long hop, keeping up his tradition of getting wickets of absolute filth. India are fucking mental, they are 6 down for 217 losing two to rank off spin. This innings will be over tonight. England would be mental not make them follow on.

Ali somehow has 2 for 39. Absolutely mental, he's barely bowled a decent ball.

Antiwhippy

Ok that was even worse. :lol

At least I can say that was definitely a rank long hop.

Than again kumar sangakkara got out to a duminy long hop last test too.

kmag

India just cannot handle being in the box seat in an away series. It's completely foreign to them. There is no way they should be out for less than 300-350 on this deck, but they'll be lucky to get 270.

kmag

Knowing england though the last 3 wickets will cost 300 runs and bhuvi kumar will score his maiden test century.

They'll plough through the last 4 with the new ball. Be lucky to add another 30-40. It would be different if Rahane hadn't gotten out, there would be someone to bat around, Dhoni and Jadeja just don't have the skills to bat against the new cherry.

Antiwhippy

Nah bhuvi kumar is actually a pretty decent bat. I was being cheeky with the 300 thing but I reckon that there'll be some resistance. Did pretty well on last time he face the new ball too, though to be fair that was when broad and anderson were bowling horrid.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
If they can get India out for another 100 or so (a 300 lead), then they probably will. Even a session batting for England does nothing except take time out of the test. If the lead is about 250 they'll probably bat.

England will not enforce the follow on.

National greats, not all time greats.

Broad, Swann and Anderson will end up being three of the best England has ever produced, but they are very much cases of maximising potential. None of them are prodigies.

Broad is the closest to being a great in that he is a clutch bowler who can and has bowled match changing spells. But he is too injured and too inconsistent. There is something slightly underwhelming about him

Anderson is a master of his craft, but he isn't better than the best ever wing bowlers and when the pitch/conditions are not compliant he is merely solid.

Swann was brilliant and will be remembered greater than the other two I think. Mostly because we are incapable of producing a steady stream of good spinners. He just was never as good as the best spin bowlers in history. Probably our best though.

Moeen doing well here. Yes his wickets were errors but they were the result of pressure and match situation.

BtualGEIMAAj_K5.jpg

Doesn't really get much more out than that

I hope we bowl someone out, I always like the noise of when it goes straight through

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
They kept talking up Virat Kohli before this series and he's not looked very good.

He has received some good balls, although it is clear that he hasn't played enough long-form cricket. He's an absolutely brilliant player, but lacks the patience in difficult conditions. Him and Pujara are sublime. My favourite two 'young' batsmen.

Antiwhippy

He did pretty well in tests playing in south africa, new zealand and australia, so I think it's fair enough to rate him highly. Seems like he's fishing too much here in england though.

kmag

India just get on the plane and go home they've mentally checked out of this series. How the fuck do you get run out taking a quick single chasing 444. I mean there's moronic then there's that. Vijay should be shot, along with Dharwan who called for the run which was just about there but why take the risk.

kmag

This could be over tonight. India are fucking appalling. This deck is perfectly fine but India are just mentally shot.

Antiwhippy

Nah, india bat super deep.

Moeen can bowl those wicket-taking balls but he really needs to improve his consistency. Then again the long hop is a wicket taking ball for him too. :p

Antiwhippy

I keep seeing the commentators say that the weather is hot at the aegeas bowl but I keep seeing the forecasts showing a max of 21C. Are the people in the UK intolerant of heat or are the forecasts just wrong?

Well done by moeen, by the way.

Jezbollah

It has been a very warm and humid summer so far - the stat that was brought up was that only 40 minutes of play from all the Tests was lost due to the weather - and that was made up later in the match.

Saying that, 22c forecast with 10mph winds from the south west (straight in from the channel) in Southampton is extremely cool.

Antiwhippy

Alright, guess it's starting to cool down then? The commentators has been saying that the heat was tiring the bowlers out throughout the match.

Jezbollah

Alright, guess it's starting to cool down then? The commentators has been saying that the heat was tiring the bowlers out throughout the match.

Well, I dont remember what the weather was from the start of Sunday but Warne was commentating and said that it was very hot recently.

Certainly in general, the last week or so where I've been working has got a lot cooler (roughly 100 miles north of Southampton)

Antiwhippy

Welp, can't see this lasting much longer really.

Anderson on a tear. Good length and hooping it around.

edit: I think it's the drift moeen gets that does the batsmen in whenever they try to go aggressive. A lot of them are a misjudgment of line really.

Top Bottom