• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New and Improved Cricket Thread© - Now Roadblock Free!

Anyone watching Pakistan Super League? Some decent matches so far. So far, it's always broadcasted live on Youtube. One match just ended. Another going to start in 45 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-r94BPmg_E0

I think it's great that they finally started their own league. More field practice for them when they go International, IMO. And you get to see a lot more players get to play, including international players.

I've watched a couple of the games and it's been OK for mickey mouse cricket. Nice to see pitches that make it hard to score runs for a change.

Now that Pietersen's out this game is shaping up for a great finish

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
What happened to NZ middle order? I was thinking that they would be a massive factor against us, but they're fallen away so often after a blistering start.

hamchan

Yeah this is rough for NZ. No Santner to save their innings too.

All out 246. Should be easy for Australia, just don't collapse like the last two matches.

akileese

Yeah this is rough for NZ. No Santner to save their innings too.

All out 246. Should be easy for Australia, just don't collapse like the last two matches.

I tuned in like 20 minutes after the start and New Zealand started off well enough. Oddly, it was a lot like Australia's start in the last match only without Mitchell Marsh to carry them. They just crashed and burned in spectacular fashion.

hamchan

So I wasn't watching but people on Reddit and the espncricinfo commentary seem to be freaking out about that Mitch Marsh wicket. The players gave a half hearted appeal at first and it appeared not out. Then only after the replay was shown on the big screen and the crowd went nuts that the umpires decided to send it up to the third umpire. Now the correct decision was made and I'm all for that but they probably shouldn't have shown the replay on the big screen then.

Hastings gone. Wade has to step up now and prove he actually belongs in the side.

What happened to NZ middle order? I was thinking that they would be a massive factor against us, but they're fallen away so often after a blistering start.

The biggest difference is probably Taylor's injury. Kane's passed him as our top batsmen but he's still a calming influence on the rest of the batting order and the team relies heavily on him. On top of that, Santner's injured as well, Anderson's only a few games back from an injury, Elliot's getting on in years and Ronchi fucking sucks.

Fantastic win to get the Chappell-Hadlee and send Baz off. Still a bit shocked the NZ bowling attack somehow managed to defend that total though.

Is southee back for the tests?

Should be. He played a little domestic cricket the other day and seemed to come through alright.

Taylor will hopefully be back for the second test, while Watling is in doubt for the first one. God I hope he makes it, Ronchi being brought into the test XI is the stuff of nightmares.

So I wasn't watching but people on Reddit and the espncricinfo commentary seem to be freaking out about that Mitch Marsh wicket. The players gave a half hearted appeal at first and it appeared not out. Then only after the replay was shown on the big screen and the crowd went nuts that the umpires decided to send it up to the third umpire. Now the correct decision was made and I'm all for that but they probably shouldn't have shown the replay on the big screen then.

It's an interesting one. I'm glad the right decision was made but if you start using replays for decisions, do you really need appeals? If you don't have appeals, do you need field umpires at all?

Antiwhippy

Yeah, that's my stance on it. It's definitely not the reason we lost, and the right decision is made in a way so whatever, but then what's the point of having on field umpires at that point, or even appeals?

Antiwhippy

Nevill the new T20 captain.

The bloke who has never played a single T20i game.

You'd almost think that australia doesn't give a shit about t20i

Almost.

What Rezbit said.

AUSTRALIA'S WORLD T20 SQUAD: Steve Smith (c), David Warner (vc), Ashton Agar, Nathan Coulter-Nile, James Faulkner, Aaron Finch, John Hastings, Josh Hazlewood, Usman Khawaja, Mitchell Marsh, Glenn Maxwell, Peter Nevill, Andrew Tye, Shane Watson, Adam Zampa

It's pretty rough Grammar to be fair.

6Ovxv4U.jpg

Glad they finally dumped him. Not sure about NCN, but The Duke was a must he's been bowling fantastically.

I don't think he's played since the last WI test due to "shin soreness," maybe it's worse than they are letting on or something else? I can't imagine he was outright dropped.

Omikron

Not a good start by NZ. 4/47. McCullum just got a duck.

Good toss to win really, although Australia are going to be in before lunch at this rate.

Not a good start by NZ. 4/47. McCullum just got a duck.

Good toss to win really, although Australia are going to be in before lunch at this rate.

And Aussies will probably be out before tea too!

Good toss to win, but if you send someone in you have to take early wickets.

Hopefully this gets hazelwood bowling well overseas, his stats were good in the ashes but he definitely wasn't his best on seaming wickets. This series will be good for him given he's leading the attack too.

Antiwhippy

I missed the start, saw the scorecard and thought australia was batting first!

Yeah I kinda knew hazlewood would be a terror on NZ pitches.

mrpookles

I don't even think we're bowling spectacularly - just consistently. The Kiwis are hanging their bats out at stock deliveries.

But yes, we'll be lucky to post an innings lead on this pitch. Come back, Buck.

I don't even think we're bowling spectacularly - just consistently. The Kiwis are hanging their bats out at stock deliveries.

But yes, we'll be lucky to post an innings lead on this pitch. Come back, Buck.

This is the trick with seaming wickets. You don't need to try to bowl a pearler but rather keep it consistent and let the seam hit the wicket and do different things, let the bit give you the subtle variation. Some of these wickets have only moved slightly but that is what you need.

It's also not as pumped because the crowd has been silenced.

mrpookles

This is the trick with seaming wickets. You don't need to try to bowl a pearler but rather keep it consistent and let the seam hit the wicket and do different things, let the bit give you the subtle variation. Some of these wickets have only moved slightly but that is what you need.

It's also not as pumped because the crowd has been silenced.

Yes, but my point remains - NZ haven't tackled the pitch appropriately first up and have thrown away a couple of wickets, rather than us forcing them in to mistakes.

It's the first hour of the Test.

Yes, but my point remains - NZ haven't tackled the pitch appropriately first up and have thrown away a couple of wickets, rather than us forcing them in to mistakes.

It's the first hour of the Test.

Exactly, it's the first hour of the test. The wickets are falling and the pressure is huge, put the ball in the right spot and let the batsman make the mistakes.

The first hour was great test match bowling on this pitch, even if a few of the wickets looked like bad shots, that is what good bowling pressure and match pressure does. It's not like Williamson is a bad leaver of the ball, yet he was drawn into the drive by the length and then it nipped back enough to bowl him.

Personally I think this session was dominated more by good bowling than bad batting.

hamchan

Shocking decision from the umpire there. Voges leaves and gets bowled only it was a no ball but then it wasn't really a no ball aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh.

legend166

Surely they'd review any no ball calls on wickets as a standard thing?

Why do they not do that?

Although I guess you could make an argument that the batsman might change his shot based on the call.

hamchan

Surely they'd review any no ball calls on wickets as a standard thing?

Why do they not do that?

Although I guess you could make an argument that the batsman might change his shot based on the call.

Exactly. Can't review and overturn because Voges could have been affected by the ump calling a no ball.

Top Bottom