• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flynn

AstroLad said:
Not yet -- it should be here early this week along with cornucopia and leaders.

Looking forward to hearing your impressions of Leaders too. Need to grab that.

I'm also really tempted to bid on Roads & Boats. :(

AstroLad said:
Alright, I'm gonna give Quarriors and King of Tokyo a go. After Ascension I realized that I really can't currently get sick of deckbuilding unless it's just super sloppy like Resident Evil.
Where are you guys getting copies of King of Tokyo and how much? I think I saw someone else mention it a few pages back, have had my eye on this game but as far as I know it's not available in the US yet

LOL
http://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/3857/glory-to-rome-beautification-project-now-live-on-k
For all those who have complained about the "graphic uniqueness" present in Carl Chudyk's Glory to Rome, now's your chance to put your money where your mouth is as Cambridge Games Factory has launched a Kickstarter project for a "Black Box" edition of Glory to Rome that uses the Heiko Günther redesign that has been kicking around on BGG.

What's more, Carter notes that Günther is "joining the Cambridge Games Factory leadership team as Creative Director", which suggests new looks for CGF titles down the road.
If you pledge at the $175 level, you even receive a "handwritten letter of apology for bad art from Ed" Carter, CGF's Managing Director. What a bonus!

I'll never understand why so many of these games have such awful art. Theres almost an unlimited pool of fantastic talent out there that can easily be gotten ahold of, and really don't ask for a high price. So many talented artists out there starving for any work.

BattleMonkey said:
I'll never understand why so many of these games have such awful art. Theres almost an unlimited pool of fantastic talent out there that can easily be gotten ahold of, and really don't ask for a high price. So many talented artists out there starving for any work.
Especially for a game as popular as Glory to Rome. I get that it's a gamble to put out an unproven game and the higher quality stuff costs a lot more to produce but Glory to Rome has already proven itself. It's about time they stop half assing it and are releasing the game with better art and components.

Neverfade

People were champing at the bit before the latest reprinting. It was going to sell regardless. Why spend ANY money when its "free" if you do it yourself?

That being said.

TAKE MY FUCKING MONEY.

The box looks so awesome.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I actually liked the character art on Glory to Rome, it was just all the other stuff that I found really ugly.

Gryphter said:
Where are you guys getting copies of King of Tokyo and how much? I think I saw someone else mention it a few pages back, have had my eye on this game but as far as I know it's not available in the US yet
I "pre-ordered" at coolstuffinc for pretty cheap I think. Dunno when they'll get their copies though but it's in there with Quarriors too so I'll probably be waiting at least a few weeks. No real rush on my end just wanted to snag Quarriors.

Cathcart

Famassu said:
So... I've been playing some board games like Catan, Risk, Carcassone and Dominion (well, this is probably more of a card game, but whatever :p ) with a bunch of friends and since we've been playing those four quite a lot for more than a year now, I've been thinking of buying some new games as good as they are to bring some freshness back to our board gaming nights. Based on us all liking these games (well, Risk can feel like it should burn in hell, sometimes :lol ), what games would you people recommend us? Maybe something completely different to those, though it doesn't have to be.

Also, would anyone recommend the Game of Thrones board game? I'm mostly interested in it due to reading the book series but if it's good, I think it could be a fun game to play since the HBO series brought a few more board game liking friends to the growing number of ASOIAF fans. How spoilery is it? Does it go beyond Game of Thrones or is it not wise to play it if some haven't gotten past the first book's happenings of the HBO show?
As far as some new suggestions go, I would say based on what you listed above that it's time to bump it up a notch and get Power Grid. That game is the bidness. Definitely the first thing I would get.

Game of Thrones is a good game that isn't spoilery at all (I have only watched the show and didn't feel spoiled) though it is either hard to find or expensive right now. There is a reprint coming later this year that incorporates a lot of the expansion material into the base game, hopefully resulting in some better balance when you don't have exactly 5 people playing. You might want to wait for that.

While you are waiting for the reprint take a look at Cyclades. It's a really cool "dudes on a map" type game but with some twists that make it a lot more interesting than Risk. It also works pretty well with 2, 4 or 5 people (3 is still OK but just not as good for reasons that are hard to explain until you play it).

Yeah. I think Power Grid, Cyclades and Game of Thrones would be a solid shot in the arm for your game nights.

joeyjoejoeshabadoo said:
Especially for a game as popular as Glory to Rome. I get that it's a gamble to put out an unproven game and the higher quality stuff costs a lot more to produce but Glory to Rome has already proven itself. It's about time they stop half assing it and are releasing the game with better art and components.

I mean, with a little work they so easily can get cheap and amazing art. People seem to act like good art is expensive but it really isn't.

Neverfade

Famassu said:
So... I've been playing some board games like Catan, Risk, Carcassone and Dominion (well, this is probably more of a card game, but whatever :p ) with a bunch of friends and since we've been playing those four quite a lot for more than a year now, I've been thinking of buying some new games as good as they are to bring some freshness back to our board gaming nights. Based on us all liking these games (well, Risk can feel like it should burn in hell, sometimes :lol ), what games would you people recommend us? Maybe something completely different to those, though it doesn't have to be.

Also, would anyone recommend the Game of Thrones board game? I'm mostly interested in it due to reading the book series but if it's good, I think it could be a fun game to play since the HBO series brought a few more board game liking friends to the growing number of ASOIAF fans. How spoilery is it? Does it go beyond Game of Thrones or is it not wise to play it if some haven't gotten past the first book's happenings of the HBO show?

Game of Thrones is awesome (Want to buy a copy from me? :D )

I'd also second Cyclades and throw in Shogun (the Dirk Henn game, not the original Samurai Swords). Shogun feels very Risk-y but removes all the suck.

AstroLad said:
I actually liked the character art on Glory to Rome, it was just all the other stuff that I found really ugly.

I "pre-ordered" at coolstuffinc for pretty cheap I think. Dunno when they'll get their copies though but it's in there with Quarriors too so I'll probably be waiting at least a few weeks. No real rush on my end just wanted to snag Quarriors.
ah, I thought you meant you had it already. I expect to see it at Gencon, will let you guys know what I think

Flynn

BattleMonkey said:

FFG pays very poorly for art.

Flynn said:
FFG pays very poorly for art.

And they get away with it as does most of the industry. Good artist really are a dime a dozen, so many of them struggle to find any work. It just saddens me to see how awful the art is for so many games when it's really not that hard to get something decent made, and people make the excuse of it costing money for good art

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
BattleMonkey said:
And they get away with it as does most of the industry. Good artist really are a dime a dozen, so many of them struggle to find any work. It just saddens me to see how awful the art is for so many games when it's really not that hard to get something decent made, and people make the excuse of it costing money for good art
Reminds me of Sirlin going nuts about how much the art cost him for Puzzle Strike and how people who bought it online anywhere but his store were evil. That dude is nuts.

Flynn said:

My unopened box has been sitting at home mocking me for two weeks as my game nights have been canceled due to illnesses.

Worst part: I think there's two more weeks of no board gaming ahead of me, proving that I hate everyone.

Evlar

Banned
I discovered Barnes & Noble now has 7 Wonders in stock at their brick and mortar locations.

Hmmmm. Hm hm hmmmm.

mrkgoo

This is the first time I've poked my head in this thread.

Why? because of Dominion.

i'm not that new to board games. My circle of friends have long been into needing it up. Dice and paper RPGS ruled our youth, until Magic the Gathering came out, and we were at the forefront of the gaming revolution for our school (seriously, it took over our year). I still have a bunch of old cards Nd play casually when I can.

We tried every CCG during the fad, and board games were a natural progression. Personally, I was always slow on the uptake of the 'modern' board game era - my friends played far more than me, but I eventually gave them a go.

Pre-modern, I've always liked Monopoly (yeah, I know what you guys feel about that, lol), and played some old games like Buck Rogers and Roborally.

Anyway, I like Settlers, and citadel, not so much Puerto RICO and Tick to ride, but recently got I to Dominion. This is something really special, as it has roped in my sister and wife, which is notoriously hard to do.

Anyway, just chiming in. love Dominion and would like to know how old Dominion gets before needing the expansions? any good sites with discussion and strategies? I read some basic stuff for interest's sake.

Flynn

BattleMonkey said:

Art in boardgames is story/writing/voice acting in video games.

mrkgoo said:
Anyway, just chiming in. love Dominion and would like to know how old Dominion gets before needing the expansions? any good sites with discussion and strategies? I read some basic stuff for interest's sake.

You'll find some strategy stuff in the Dominion board at boardgamegeek.com: http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/409/dominion/strategy

I almost don't recommend reading it though, as a lot of the joy from the game comes with discovering the card combos, and they'll spoil some of that for you over there.

For me, it's never too early to acquire expansions

mrkgoo

platypotamus said:
You'll find some strategy stuff in the Dominion board at boardgamegeek.com: http://boardgamegeek.com/forum/409/dominion/strategy

I almost don't recommend reading it though, as a lot of the joy from the game comes with discovering the card combos, and they'll spoil some of that for you over there.

For me, it's never too early to acquire expansions

Thanks.

I was over at Dominionstrategy.com earlier too.

Hmm, I don't mind reading about stuff. To be honest, I'm not big into playing multiplayer, because I get frustrated with certain players, so I probably wouldn't play often enough or well enough to ever play certain things. I might have a peek....

mrkgoo

So what are your guys thoughts on luck vs skill for your games in general?

I personally don't like purely skill games, maybe because I'm not that great, but I think a bit of randomness keeps it interesting and more even so play is just a fun time, rather than the same people winning all the time.

Maybe that's why I don't like Puerto Rico that much :p

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
mrkgoo said:

I personally don't like purely skill games, maybe because I'm not that great, but I think a bit of randomness keeps it interesting and more even so play is just a fun time, rather than the same people winning all the time.

Yep exactly. I love a healthy dose of luck in my boardgames, especially if it's done in a thoughtful way (Kingsburg, Troyes, Alien Frontiers) or a way that jibes nicely with the theme (Pandemic). Knizia had a nice line in an interview about luck being great because it keeps people coming back and more relaxed while gaming since they can blame losses on luck to some degree and not have to worry about underperforming or optimal play. It also gives new players at least some chance of winning, which is just not the case in games that try to eliminate luck.

As far as Dominion expansions, my favorite is still Seaside though I haven't played Cornucopia yet. I do agree that there really isn't such a thing as too early though, as the new cards just open up more strategies and make for more varied games.

mrkgoo said:

I love luck, randomness and hidden information. Of course there has to be a balance, otherwise we would always either play chess (no luck, no hidden information) or just toss a coin to decide who wins.

- A bit of luck helps to decrease the gap between new and old players
- A bit of randomness helps to make every game different
- I absolutely loathe games with no luck or hidden information since they are basically "solvable" and prone to AP

Since I play to have fun I usually don't care if I win or not, a huge comeback to a second place is more satisfying than winning by totally dominating a game. Sometimes (depends on the player and game) if midway through the game I'm pretty sure I'll win, I like to make a bad move and just see if I can recover and make the game more interesting.

I wish Game Developer magazine made some of their archives available for free online. At least, I wish this one Richard Garfield article about luck was available. It was from probably 5 or 6 years ago, and was a great analysis on the fact that luck and skill are independent variables in game design, not diametrically opposed, and then a pretty powerful argument about what luck mechanisms bring to the table.

Sounds similar to what Astrolad's talking about that Knizia said: ego crutch, accessibility, and strategic variance being (as I recall) his three biggest points.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
platypotamus said:
I wish Game Developer magazine made some of their archives available for free online. At least, I wish this one Richard Garfield article about luck was available. It was from probably 5 or 6 years ago, and was a great analysis on the fact that luck and skill are independent variables in game design, not diametrically opposed, and then a pretty powerful argument about what luck mechanisms bring to the table.

Sounds similar to what Astrolad's talking about that Knizia said: ego crutch, accessibility, and strategic variance being (as I recall) his three biggest points.
ooh missed that one. found it though but will check it out later:

http://holycrazykids.blogspot.com/2008/02/game-developer-november-1-2006-getting.html

Stairs

Banned
Flynn said:

I'm also really tempted to bid on Roads & Boats. :(

Leaders, I find, is a great expansion. My main concern was it adding considerable length to the play time--this is not the case. After the first play with the expansion, which of course is going to take longer than normal, it seems to only add about 5-10 minutes of play time.

Stairs said:
Leaders, I find, is a great expansion. My main concern was it adding considerable length to the play time--this is not the case. After the first play with the expansion, which of course is going to take longer than normal, it seems to only add about 5-10 minutes of play time.

I just tried 7 wonders the other day and there's already an expansion? Wow!
I assumed it was fairly new. Anyway, my wife and I really liked 7 wonders. We had a couple of 7 player games. So many combinations to winning
and look! there's conflict!*

*We were playing Dominion (base game) before 7 wonders. My wife noticed that when someone is taking their turn, nobody is paying attention and just wanted them to finish. Militia wasn't enough conflict for my wife. Funny that it's her looking for more conflict in games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ogedai_Khan said:
I just tried 7 wonders the other day and there's already an expansion? Wow!
I assumed it was fairly new. Anyway, my wife and I really liked 7 wonders. We had a couple of 7 player games. So many combinations to winning
and look! there's conflict!*

*We were playing Dominion (base game) before 7 wonders. My wife noticed that when someone is taking their turn, nobody is paying attention and just wanted them to finish. Militia wasn't enough conflict for my wife. Funny that it's her looking for more conflict in games.
You should try Innovation with her. Pretty simple game like Dominion but you are attacking people all the time and always keeping an eye on what they are doing.

Flynn said:
Can we all agree that pure dice movement blows?

Yes, though I'd say that there are totally acceptable means of doing randomized movement. Roborally's movement cards being the only really good example that comes to mind right now.

Hey all,

I saw that a number of you pre-ordered Quarriors and I love playing heroclix so I figured any wizkids game would be up my alley but the dice based stuff looks a little obtuse. For those that pre-ordered, did you play a demo or what about the game made you order it?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Affeinvasion said:
Hey all,

I saw that a number of you pre-ordered Quarriors and I love playing heroclix so I figured any wizkids game would be up my alley but the dice based stuff looks a little obtuse. For those that pre-ordered, did you play a demo or what about the game made you order it?
HYPE. Also I am on a serious deckbuilding kick right now thanks to Ascension on iOS, which isn't even that spectacular of a game mechanically but is just really addictive.

Did you check out this review? http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/680787/quarriors-the-little-metal-dog-show-review

fenners

Affeinvasion said:
Hey all,

A good buddy whose opinions/playstyles are often similar to mine played it a bunch at a recent gaming convention. He loved it. So I pre-ordered it along with him.

Cathcart

kottila said:
What are some good iphone boardgame adaptions?
Carcassonne and Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer are both pretty much perfect. Through the Desert and Samurai are very good. I haven't played too many others, though.

Deadstar

So I bought Cutthroat Caverns last week and played one game with friends. It was really fun! I am dying to play it again, might do so tonight. I also have Dominion and the Resident Evil base game coming. Oh, and I ordered Pente since I used to play it and loved it.

It feels good to get back to board games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Cathcart said:
Carcassonne and Ascension: Chronicle of the Godslayer are both pretty much perfect. Through the Desert and Samurai are very good. I haven't played too many others, though.
This. I'd also add that Neuroshima Hex is quite good if you can get past the annoying exclusion of online play.

Deadstar said:
So I bought Cutthroat Caverns last week and played one game with friends. It was really fun! I am dying to play it again, might do so tonight. I also have Dominion and the Resident Evil base game coming. Oh, and I ordered Pente since I used to play it and loved it.

It feels good to get back to board games.

reminds me that I want to pick up Cutthroat Caverns... my wish list is getting huge. This was you and your group's first time playing? How long was the game, taking into account learning the it, etc?

fenners

Fantasy Flight just announced they've got the Star Wars licence!

Doing a space battle minatures game + a coop LCG so far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom