• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neverfade

So I signed up to play Through the Ages online at BGO with a couple of friends of mine. While I was there I noticed they have a league, so I thought yeah why not? I'll play some league games. Probably get crushed but it would be cool to see how better players play. Unfortunately there are 4 games you play in each season (I assume games will take a couple weeks to finish) but they create all four of your games at the same time. So now I'm in six games of Through the Ages going simultaneously. Brain: fried.

You dun goofed.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Are any of the Catan variants (Settlers of America, etc) worthwhile? I've been pondering them forever.

I got Settlers of America and pretty much everyone in my group prefers it over regular Catan. That said, it's the only "train game" we play and we're pretty casual board gamers.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Kickstarter video shot. T- minus 1 week till launch.

Getting nervous.

In any case, I think I'm playing Belfort tonight, but one of my gaming group wants to switch that to Tammany Hall to try and get some buzz going in my gaming group.

I'm kind of torn. I love Tammany Hall, and I'm launching it on kickstarter in a week.. but I kind of want to play Belfort.

Damn man, just noticed you were doing this! As an austinite who does sound for film/video, I woulda' been glad to help fo' free :)
PM me if you need anything. I know lots o' people doing multimedia stuff and lots of people who fund projects through kickstarters.

I just jumped in on a collaborative zombie apocalypse board game on Kickstarter.

I know that there are dozens of different zombie board games, but the sheer volume of content you get with this one looks amazing. They are exceeding their goals by so much that they are adding new figurines on an almost daily basis!

$100 will currently get you:

71 miniatures (28mm "Heroic" scale): 6 Survivors, 40 Walkers, 16 Runners, 8 Fatties and 1 Abomination
110 mini-cards (42 Zombie cards, 62 Equipment cards, 6 Wounded cards)
9 gaming tiles
6 dice
6 Survivor Identity Cards
24 advancement counters
4 Cars tokens (police car and pimp mobile)
18 Noise tokens
10 Objective tokens
12 Door tokens
6 Zombie spawn tokens
1 "First player" token
1 Exit point token

BONUS STUFF:
Extra figurines: 3 promo figures + 3 promo zombies + 2 Fatties + 1 Abomination + 6 runners and 2 Fatties
6 custom black dice
6 glow in the dark dice
1 T-shirt
1 signed lithograph
1 additional scenario (downloadable)

Can any of the more experienced boardgame GAFfers take a look and let me know if this looks to be the bargain that I think it is? I'd really love to play a really decent zombie board game, but I feel like I may be taking a little chance on this one just because I've been seduced by the sheer volume of content.

Opinions please?

I just jumped in on a collaborative zombie apocalypse board game on Kickstarter.

I know that there are dozens of different zombie board games, but the sheer volume of content you get with this one looks amazing. They are exceeding their goals by so much that they are adding new figurines on an almost daily basis!

$100 will currently get you:

71 miniatures (28mm "Heroic" scale): 6 Survivors, 40 Walkers, 16 Runners, 8 Fatties and 1 Abomination
110 mini-cards (42 Zombie cards, 62 Equipment cards, 6 Wounded cards)
9 gaming tiles
6 dice
6 Survivor Identity Cards
24 advancement counters
4 Cars tokens (police car and pimp mobile)
18 Noise tokens
10 Objective tokens
12 Door tokens
6 Zombie spawn tokens
1 "First player" token
1 Exit point token

BONUS STUFF:
Extra figurines: 3 promo figures + 3 promo zombies + 2 Fatties + 1 Abomination + 6 runners and 2 Fatties
6 custom black dice
6 glow in the dark dice
1 T-shirt
1 signed lithograph
1 additional scenario (downloadable)

Can any of the more experienced boardgame GAFfers take a look and let me know if this looks to be the bargain that I think it is? I'd really love to play a really decent zombie board game, but I feel like I may be taking a little chance on this one just because I've been seduced by the sheer volume of content.

Opinions please?
After much hemming and hawing I backed it as well. The game is a pure co-op game at this point but it seems like there might be a change to that in the expansion they are planning. Anyway, while $100 is steep for one game you are getting a lot for your money. The plastic minis aren't cheap and the sculpts on them look amazing. As far as the game itself here's what I like and don't like.
Like:
Beautiful artwork and minis
I like scenario driven games
Characters level up through play
Game seems simple enough and isn't bogged down by too man mechanics
The noise system is cool

Dislike:
No rules have been released yet. I'd like to know more on how the game is played
It's another co-op. I already have three big pure co-op games, do I really need another on?
The game may be too simple. Hopefully there are enough surprises to keep me coming back.
No idea how varied the scenarios are. I hope they are not just go here grab that missions.

All that being said for $100 it's a risk since the rules have yet to be made available. For the amount of minis you are getting, ignoring the bonuses, I don't see it being much cheaper than $100 when it comes to retailers.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Damn man, just noticed you were doing this! As an austinite who does sound for film/video, I woulda' been glad to help fo' free :)
PM me if you need anything. I know lots o' people doing multimedia stuff and lots of people who fund projects through kickstarters.

Awesome!

I'm getting that "do we run in the same circles in real life" scared thing that happens.

I have a friend who produces a web series professionally for gametrailers who shot the vid for me.

I may hit you up for help with an update vid I might do though.

Played our first game of Chaos In The Old World last night! It's pretty sweet, and despite the other guys hardly reading the rules it was pretty easy for everyone to pick up.

Our Slaanesh player ended up winning with his threat dial (his dial seemed a lot shorter than others). Our Khorne player probably would have won in another round too - although the game had ended on the 7th turn, so the Old World deck was out.

I played Nurgle and had trouble grasping his strategy. 3 glasses of wine probably didn't help any.

Great game for us, since we all like fucking each other over. We're all looking forward to next week.

Played our first game of Chaos In The Old World last night! It's pretty sweet, and despite the other guys hardly reading the rules it was pretty easy for everyone to pick up.

Our Slaanesh player ended up winning with his threat dial (his dial seemed a lot shorter than others). Our Khorne player probably would have won in another round too - although the game had ended on the 7th turn, so the Old World deck was out.

I played Nurgle and had trouble grasping his strategy. 3 glasses of wine probably didn't help any.

Great game for us, since we all like fucking each other over. We're all looking forward to next week.
Slaanesh's dial is shorter. It's only seven ticks which is roughly the amount of rounds in the game, unless you get the "discard this card" Old World event which shortens the game by one round.

Stooge,

I know you are busy with Tammany, but is there a timeline for when your two other games will be released? I'm looking forward to them as they are more inline with the type of game my group typically plays.

StoOgE

Stooge,

I know you are busy with Tammany, but is there a timeline for when your two other games will be released? I'm looking forward to them as they are more inline with the type of game my group typically plays.

This year for both. Tammany hall is pretty much my life for the next 2 months. Roller coaster rush after that.

Meteor needs artwork, but is a really fun little game. It should be up late 2012.

StoOgE

Just a heads up on Zombicide on Kickstarter. It's gone crazy last few days and the last stretch will be hit in a few hours. They're going to add new stretches today or tomorrow.
9 days to go!

I think the easy explenation is Zpocalypse finished up so now there is no competition for peoples Zombie related dollars.

I wonder if it can wind up topping it.

Neverfade

Maybe I should look into one of those. Sp disenfranchised with zombie games that i kinda ignored them. But It would be nice to own a zombie game i dont hate.

Cardigan

Am I the only one who thinks Zombicide's reward levels are crazy? It's $75 for the game, and then it's $100 for the game + a promo miniature. In what world is a miniature worth $25!?

The entire game seems ridiculously overpriced to me.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Am I the only one who thinks Zombicide's reward levels are crazy? It's $75 for the game, and then it's $100 for the game + a promo miniature. In what world is a miniature worth $25!?

I agree with you, which is why I didn't back it. I understand that minis are expensive, and they do look nice, but $75 is just a lot of money for the base price of the game. They'll always say "You'll never get it cheaper!" but if the game is halfway successful after launch then that's just an outright lie. To make it worse, you don't even get any of the stretch goals at the $75 level.

In addition to the 3 promo survivors and etched dice you get all the stretch rewards only at $100 which right now is:

Tshirt + Glow in the Dark Dice + 2 scenarios + 4 Fatties Zombie Minis + 6 Runner Zombie Minis + Abomination Mini + (very soon) 20 Walker Zombie Minis + zombie versions of the promo heroes

I'm hoping to replace a good deal of my game collection that was recently damaged. I'd prefer to get the, all at the same place in order to minimize shipping. What's everyone's favorite website to order games from?

Not to mention that its creators are pretty much completely unproven. Also no rules posted? Seriously, are people just enchanted by all the minis?

I'd risk $50 on it, but not $100.

mercviper

I'm hoping to replace a good deal of my game collection that was recently damaged. I'd prefer to get the, all at the same place in order to minimize shipping. What's everyone's favorite website to order games from?

From the extended OP

A. Where to Buy
There are several great online stores where you can get very good deals on board games. Those board-game gaffers have had good experiences with:
http://www.coolstuffinc.com/
http://www.thoughthammer.com/
http://www.miniaturemarket.com/
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal fave is coolstuffinc

Cardigan

In addition to the 3 promo survivors and etched dice you get all the stretch rewards only at $100 which right now is:

Tshirt + Glow in the Dark Dice + 2 scenarios + 4 Fatties Zombie Minis + 6 Runner Zombie Minis + Abomination Mini + (very soon) 20 Walker Zombie Minis + zombie versions of the promo heroes

That's true, but you shouldn't factor the stretch rewards into the total price, since they're just that, stretch rewards. And from what I've seen, most Kickstarters will cover the stretch rewards for all reward levels that include the game. For this one, as a previous poster mentioned, you have to purchase the $100 reward level to get the stretch rewards.

If the game turns out to be great, that's awesome, but I would never drop $100 on an unproven game by unproven creators.

aye, if you're making a big order, coolstuffinc or miniaturemarket will be the way to go. free shipping on $100+ orders. I lean towards CSI more often

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

I buy everything on Amazon due to Prime and perpetually having at least some gift card money, but CoolStuffInc seems to be even cheaper a majority of the time, especially if you can qualify for free shipping.

Well it's also for the dice set and promo miniature, both of which are not stretch goals. The 2nd glow in the dark dice set is the stretch goal. The games retail is going to be $89 anyways, so many don't see it as that bad. Yea you can get it cheaper online but many want to get all the extra goodies and just help get the game off the ground and willing to not get the %20 off retail from ordering online.

Prices of miniatures of high quality in 28mm are pretty pricey in the hobby market, also solo unique model production costs alot more than figures that are going to be highly mass produced. Each plastic mould for a good quality plastic mini costs several thousands by itself, not including other costs that come into play for actually producing and paying the artist who created it as well. Cool Mini's other game Super Dungeon Explore also had a high price tag just because of the high quality figs which don't use cheap plastic found in most common board games (which is more like rubber almost).

Now I agree the price is crazy for a single fig add on, but seeing that it's a new fig that is not going to be produced on the same level of volume as the others, I can see them having to cover there costs. And they are getting lot of people willing to pay for it too. Also will these promo figs stay exclusive to the kickstarter or not?

More than likely it will be cheaper to get all this after it releases though, as they are not going to be capable of selling single fig expansions for that much. Assume these figs will eventually be released together in a larger expansion anyways?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I also wish we knew more about the rules and had actual reviews of protos at least out. I would be down if I knew more because it looks cool.

Damn, it looks like Sirlin's stuff is out of stock almost everywhere. Managed to pick up the complete Yomi for 65 the first time around, but zi can't find it anywhere but his store now, which means I might be looking at shelling out the full 100 bucks.

fenners

Damn, it looks like Sirlin's stuff is out of stock almost everywhere. Managed to pick up the complete Yomi for 65 the first time around, but zi can't find it anywhere but his store now, which means I might be looking at shelling out the full 100 bucks.

He doesn't like online sellers.

my FLGS has it for I think $80, it's been on the shelf for months now. I don't think it'll ever sell. It wouldn't be worth it for me to buy it for you and ship, but have you tried your FLGS?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
What's a good TTR setup for four players? Maybe one of the 1910 ones? Have all the expansions except Marklin and Europe.

That's true, but you shouldn't factor the stretch rewards into the total price, since they're just that, stretch rewards. And from what I've seen, most Kickstarters will cover the stretch rewards for all reward levels that include the game. For this one, as a previous poster mentioned, you have to purchase the $100 reward level to get the stretch rewards.

If the game turns out to be great, that's awesome, but I would never drop $100 on an unproven game by unproven creators.

I'm in the same boat. Both with this and Zpocalypse. I have a really difficult time dropping $100 for a game that isn't well tested...

I did buy Fleet this week!

Also, Tammany Hall's Kickstarter begins Tuesday! :D

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Tammany Hall re-release is great, but since I already own it what I'm really looking forward to is Roller Coaster Rush. :D

Just punched and sorted Lords of Waterdeep. My God everyone needs to outsource their insert design to WOTC. I don't know if insert design can be described as "breathtaking," but this is as close as you'll get.

Just punched and sorted Lords of Waterdeep. My God everyone needs to outsource their insert design to WOTC. I don't know if insert design can be described as "breathtaking," but this is as close as you'll get.

My thought exactly, man. I think I posted about it a few pages ago. I was in love with it just because of the insert.

Wow. Lots of the reviews make a big deal of the box, also some anger about closing it too. I'm more interested in seeing the inset than the game now. Is it better than the Airlines Europe box, which is the best one I own?

Neverfade

Wow. Lots of the reviews make a big deal of the box, also some anger about closing it too. I'm more interested in seeing the inset than the game now. Is it better than the Airlines Europe box, which is the best one I own?

Compared to the status quo, its a godsend. It's probably one of the better ones out there.

That being said, I'm not in love with it like most people. Most of the component slots work great but FUCK storing the money and VPs that way. Chucking them in a baggie is so much faster.

At least they put together a concerted effort though.

P.S.: Anyone wanna trade for it? I like the game less than the insert! :)

RyanDG

I wish I had a chance to play Lords of the Waterdeep, but after punching it, I haven't had the opportunity to play it at all. It's a shame Wizards hasn't done iOS versions of some of their games yet. I would love an opportunity to play something like Castle Ravenloft on iOS. I can convince my wife to play a lot of different games with a lot of different themes (including fantasy dungeon crawlers), but she just doesn't have any interest in playing the D&D board games (even one that's a building game!) with me so it gets pushed aside until I get a larger group together. And this is a person who WILL play Arkham Horror happily. I don't understand her sometimes. :p

All WOTC D&D games have had fantastic packaging design. Now if only the games were better :p

Compared to the status quo, its a godsend. It's probably one of the better ones out there.

That being said, I'm not in love with it like most people. Most of the component slots work great but FUCK storing the money and VPs that way. Chucking them in a baggie is so much faster.

At least they put together a concerted effort though.

P.S.: Anyone wanna trade for it? I like the game less than the insert! :)
I might be interested. Here's my collection:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/collection/user/joeyjoejoeshabadoo?own=1&subtype=boardgame&ff=1

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Wow so I guess they totally changed the gameplay for Innovation Echoes of the Past because setup was taking too long. Gaah I hate missing erratas. On that note if you have Blood Bowl Team Manager be sure to read the errata on the site that takes out all the overpowered staff upgrades.

Hero

Bought the Ascension iOS app the other day since it was on sale for .99 cents. Pretty fun, obviously like Dominion but I really like the middle board that adds some variance to the game. Definitely worth a buck.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Played Formula D and 7 Wonders both for the first time today.

Really like how Formula D is so simple, yet really nice emulates racing, gear selection, how to approach cornering, driving lines, etc. We played the basic rules. I won after some aggressive driving in the second set of turns and ran away with it from there.

I definitely think playing with more laps and the more complex rules could make the strategy level go up - though the sheer number of dice rolls will always make this a bit too luck-based for my liking. Still, a fun game that works well for a large group.

7 Wonders was also a first time for me. Very cool game. I like the draft elements, a much lighter / easier combination of Dominion/Citadels. Also slick for how fast it plays, and again, how it can accomodate a group of seven. My wife and I both were doing military, and it seems like it's a mistake to focus too much on military if the person next to you is. You really want just enough to win against at least on person per turn.

Fun day. Both of those I would play again, as I think everyone else in the group would.

oh and on Friday, the wife and a friend and I played Pandemic for the first time. Really interesting, we only lost because we didn't read the victory condition. For some reason we thought we had to sunset all the diseases, not just find cures for all. We could've won with three cards left. Oh well. Now that we have a better idea how to play it'll be fun for the wife and I to play two-player games and slowly ratchet up the victory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom