• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Thanks guys!

Sorry I haven't been around, this is much more work than I thought it would wind up being.

And I'm really just floored by the support, totally blown away. Thanks so much again.

Also, I had to skip game night and *still* haven't played Ora Et Labora. Remind me not to launch a kickstarter on game night again.

So once Tammany reaches its goal, or any kickstarter game really, how long before it ships? A month? Months? Year?

Usually several months. Production doesn't actually start till after the project gets funding which doesn't really happen till the kickstarter end date. Production takes time and often components done overseas will take a quite a while to get shipped to where it needs to go, especially because they will usually go by boat.

sneaky77

So once Tammany reaches its goal, or any kickstarter game really, how long before it ships? A month? Months? Year?

It usually has expected shipping date on the campaign itself.. Tammany needs to go to print and all that, and according to kickstarter it will ship in November

Been searching the web frantically to try and track down Descent expansions before they vanish forever. Have found a few I think but have also had lots of instances of places listing them as in stock only to say "whoops we were wrong" when an order is placed.

Been searching the web frantically to try and track down Descent expansions before they vanish forever. Have found a few I think but have also had lots of instances of places listing them as in stock only to say "whoops we were wrong" when an order is placed.

My group is pretty excited for Descent 2nd ed., and we tried doing the same thing - tracking down 1st edition instead. It's just too expensive at this point, so we're just going to wait.

My group is pretty excited for Descent 2nd ed., and we tried doing the same thing - tracking down 1st edition instead. It's just too expensive at this point, so we're just going to wait.

I am actually completely mystified why Descent 2nd edition is labelled as such. It's not being made by the original designer, the majority of the rules have changed, including a lot of the core mechanics that made Descent what it was. The connecting factors seem to be hero names/artwork and the Terrinoth setting. Calling it Descent implies a link to the original that is just not there. Sure it'll be a good game, Corey's designs usually are, but Descent it is not.

I am actually completely mystified why Descent 2nd edition is labelled as such. It's not being made by the original designer, the majority of the rules have changed, including a lot of the core mechanics that made Descent what it was. The connecting factors seem to be hero names/artwork and the Terrinoth setting. Calling it Descent implies a link to the original that is just not there. Sure it'll be a good game, Corey's designs usually are, but Descent it is not.

Yup from all the previews so far, it is not Descent really. It's a completely different game with a very different focus. Definitely keeping all my 1st edition stuff since it's basically two different games.

The upgrade kit they are putting out is simply going to be cards to let you use your old hero and enemy figures, but much of the old content is just going to be tossed out the window.

StoOgE

The game will go to the printer in late June if the game funds. It should take about 30 days at the printer and another 2 months in a shipping container. If it's not held at customs it could be here by late September and then shipped in October.

That said, there could be delays at the printer (Chinese new year set some games back months!) or it could be held at customs for a few weeks to a month.

So the November date is what I think is a good safe date to get the game in peoples hands. But, I'm hoping it could be shipped sooner than that.

Also, 50% funded! Woo Hoo! Thanks again for everyone who has backed or given me advice here. It's been a huge huge help.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Here's third batch pre Matt finish Varnish.

Not sure if I should do any dry brushing on the Howling Spirits Robes, or If I should just leave them as is with just the Incorporeal Flesh and Hair being Drybrushed.

If anyone has an opinion I'd love to hear it..I'm kinda stumped wether I should or not.

I lightened up the Green for the drakes I think it turned out pretty good with the armor wash.
pic1303920_lg.jpg

StoOgE

Stooge, you should update this page with a link to the Kickstarter.

It was the first search result for Tammany Hall + Kickstarter

Thank you sir! That could be big.

It would also explain all of the Google traffic to my website.

My fiancee is a web marketing machine, but I think in this case I might be over SEOd. I'd much rather kickstarter show up first there.

I'm sure it will in a day or two, Google's crawlers just got ahold of it yesterday morning.

StoOgE

So I see you're up on Staff Picks for Board Games. Congrats. That's got to help.

I think people finding the game on kickstarter is doing about as well if not a bit better than BGG referrals. Staff Picks and a curated page for games have been huge helps in early funding.

So yeah, I'm really really lucky that I've made staff pick. Not sure how that works exactly, but it's been a giant help.

Not to say the BGG ads aren't helping, but I just assumed 90% of the funding would come from BGG.

fenners

I'm actually getting tempted to put into the kickstarter for Zombicide after routinely ignoring. Gears of War style play with zombies? Interesting noise mechanic? Lots of stretch goals achieved already?

The guys behind it are essentially all ex-Reaper - well known for miniatures. The only real gotchas for me are the price & the lack of explict rulebook released. Lots of gameplay details figured out, but I'd love to see the actual rules...

Still, would likely be an easy flip if it's average...

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
They are getting a lot of crap for no rulebook now. Actually I saw a thread where someone said he'd rather back a known product like Tammany Hall so congrats stooge!

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Anybody want to play Tammany Hall on SlothNinja? I set one up under the name "dkizzle" (actually 3 went up, the site messed up I guess).

They are getting a lot of crap for no rulebook now. Actually I saw a thread where someone said he'd rather back a known product like Tammany Hall so congrats stooge!

Lot of crap, yet they keep blowing through all the stretch goals like mad. People are just buying into it now because they are getting a ton of extra "free" stuff tossed in.

Anybody want to play Tammany Hall on SlothNinja? I set one up under the name "dkizzle" (actually 3 went up, the site messed up I guess).

I've taken the plunge and joined one.
Hopefully a UK based bulk order might take off for the kickstarter so good to get in practice.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
I've taken the plunge and joined one.
Hopefully a UK based bulk order might take off for the kickstarter so good to get in practice.

Cool, hopefully someone else joins now.

There are a few UK bulk orders building up on BGG if you haven't seen them already.

Socreges

Banned
So there's a group of us that's getting into Catan (including people that I never thought would be into board games), but we've often got more than four people interested. We're thinking of getting the 5-6 player expansion. Is it still just as fun as regular Catan? I see that after each turn, people have an opportunity to build (preventing them from constantly getting caught by someone rolling 7). Does this make it tedious or overly lengthy?

What about the other expansions? Which is the most recommended? Cities and Knights seems pretty interesting.

Chris R

So there's a group of us that's getting into Catan (including people that I never thought would be into board games), but we've often got more than four people interested. We're thinking of getting the 5-6 player expansion. Is it still just as fun as regular Catan? I see that after each turn, people have an opportunity to build (preventing them from constantly getting caught by someone rolling 7). Does this make it tedious or overly lengthy?

What about the other expansions? Which is the most recommended? Cities and Knights seems pretty interesting.

I've played plenty of Catan 5/6 and Seafarers 5/6. I've found it to be as much fun as the regular game, it just takes longer for the game to play out.

Yes

Yes

Inside joke?

No, just lazy replying. I despise 5-6 player Catan as I think the game drags reaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly long with it. I generally think Cities and Knights is the best expansion as well (though only for 4).

I think if you've got 5-6 you should look to another game, or look to having two tables of Catan going.

(7 Wonders would be a great alternate game to look at, btw, as it supports up to 7, is nice and short to play, and is a good gateway game for people that are new to the hobby)

Hero

5-6 player Catan gets really long and drawn out, past its welcome time. Not to mention I think placement and map control isn't as required for it, but that's just me.

StoOgE

Yay!

That thread got really heated. Sheesh.

I think the reason the rulebook isn't out is probably because it's not finished. Art assets on a rulebook can take some time. I think that is slowing the whole thing up, and I don't blame them for not wanting to show something that isn't really slick looking.

The kickstarter is going great, and I could see some people seeing a half finished ugly rulebook and deciding not to back.

StoOgE

I would recommend looking at some other games that play with 5 and 6 players.

5-6 player Catan really overstays it's welcome, and I think Cities and Knights makes Catan a pretty complicated game.

You might want to look into the OP on this thread.

I'd suggest Carcassone, Ticket to Ride and Pandemic as really fun games that support 5 players (maybe Pandemic requires an expansion for 5p, can't remember off the top of my head)

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

I love Catan, but I could never get into the expansions. 5-6 players games are not as fun for sure.

I'm just getting into Elder Sign, which you can play from 1 to 8 people. It is a cooperative dice/card game in which you pick a character, explore a mansion and you have to stop the ancient one from entering the world. I really like it.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
Citadels is another fun and cheap game for a group of 5 or more, that is more interesting with that many players due to the role drafting

FreeChicken

Neo Member
That's me supported Tammany Hall, Been wanting to play the game for a while so looking forward to that! Apart from that I have been playing a ton of Twilight Struggle but I can already feel the desire to move on and get something new and planning on investing this weekend, is 1960 worth picking up for more Twilight Struggle style shenanigans? If not I will either pick up Game of Thrones or the Descent expansions(my local shop still has stock of most of them).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
That's me supported Tammany Hall, Been wanting to play the game for a while so looking forward to that! Apart from that I have been playing a ton of Twilight Struggle but I can already feel the desire to move on and get something new and planning on investing this weekend, is 1960 worth picking up for more Twilight Struggle style shenanigans? If not I will either pick up Game of Thrones or the Descent expansions(my local shop still has stock of most of them).

Depends if you want something more or less complex than TS. If you want something more complex, you should definitely have a look at Labyrinth. 1960 is really fun and a pretty board, but sometimes it feels a tad redundant in my collection (i.e., I'll almost always just play TS instead of 1960 because they're so similar).

I'll agree with others than Catan can outstay its welcome with more than 4 players. As for expansions if it's new rules you want and added complexity, Cities and Knights is the obvious choice. If you're happy with Catan as it is but you want more variety, I recommend Seafarers. It does't really add any complexity (just the addition of Ships which are essentially roads for sea tiles and the pirate which is the robber for sea tiles), but it adds a ton of variety. Many different ways to lay out the land with islands, and a good few unique scenarios in the rulebook.

FreeChicken

Neo Member
Depends if you want something more or less complex than TS. If you want something more complex, you should definitely have a look at Labyrinth. 1960 is really fun and a pretty board, but sometimes it feels a tad redundant in my collection (i.e., I'll almost always just play TS instead of 1960 because they're so similar).

Cheers! That was my fear with 1960, Labyrinth definitely piques my interest, thanks for the recommendation!

Check out 1989: Dawn of Freedom. It was originally a print and play retheme of Twilight Struggle but GMT liked it so they decided to publish it. There doesn't seem too much difference between 1989 and TS but if you dig TS you might like 1989. 1960 is awesom, btw, so I'd you decide on that it's not a bad choice.

Man, Zombicide is still going crazy. Tempted just to throw down $100 and get all that Stretchy goodness. We'll see later tonight if I really do throw my hat in.

Socreges

Banned
No, just lazy replying. I despise 5-6 player Catan as I think the game drags reaaaaaaaaaaaaalllly long with it. I generally think Cities and Knights is the best expansion as well (though only for 4).

I think if you've got 5-6 you should look to another game, or look to having two tables of Catan going.

(7 Wonders would be a great alternate game to look at, btw, as it supports up to 7, is nice and short to play, and is a good gateway game for people that are new to the hobby)
Huh, my bad. I was replying on m.neogaf.com and bolded quotes don't show up. All I saw was you saying "Yes" to multiple choice questions, and thought 'What's this guy's problem?'
KuGsj.gif

Anyway, thanks for the comments, everyone. Sounds like we should avoid the 5-6 expansion as our games drag on long enough as is. Good to hear people recommending C&K, Ticket to Ride and Carcassone (and that the latter two support 5 people). I've had those recommended to me in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom