• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played Formula D and 7 Wonders both for the first time today.

Really like how Formula D is so simple, yet really nice emulates racing, gear selection, how to approach cornering, driving lines, etc. We played the basic rules. I won after some aggressive driving in the second set of turns and ran away with it from there.

I definitely think playing with more laps and the more complex rules could make the strategy level go up - though the sheer number of dice rolls will always make this a bit too luck-based for my liking. Still, a fun game that works well for a large group.

7 Wonders was also a first time for me. Very cool game. I like the draft elements, a much lighter / easier combination of Dominion/Citadels. Also slick for how fast it plays, and again, how it can accomodate a group of seven. My wife and I both were doing military, and it seems like it's a mistake to focus too much on military if the person next to you is. You really want just enough to win against at least on person per turn.
I've considered re-buying Formula D recently since I've got a regular game night with 5-8 people, and it's particularly suited for that kind of situation. I sold it a while back because it was in this kind of nebulous zone of being neither a gateway game nor a great hardcore game. I think it helps a lot if you're into racing since the theme and aesthetics of the game are really nicely done.

I'm kind of interested in trying out Rallyman. Racing really feels like a genre I should love, but the only racing game that's truly clicked with me has been RoboRally. Formula D, Snow Tails, K2, and some others I'm probably forgetting -- all good quality just haven't quite grabbed me.

MrMan2k3

So I'm going to finally upgrade to a smart phone this week, and I decided to go with an Android phone. I know there aren't as many board game apps for Android as there are for iOS, but does anybody have some recommendations?

So I'm going to finally upgrade to a smart phone this week, and I decided to go with an Android phone. I know there aren't as many board game apps for Android as there are for iOS, but does anybody have some recommendations?

There aren't many. If phone based games, especially board games, are your thing, I would steer you towards the iOS platform.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Posted a bit earlier in the thread if you wanna search but off the top of my head:
Carcassone
Through the Desert
Androminion (best mobile version of Dominion)
Condado (version of San Juan)
Ingenious
Elder Sign Omens

Yeah it's not easy to find. I stumbled across it while searching for a PDF of the rules.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/767330/retroactive-errata-to-echoes-setup-and-drawing/page/1

Honestly I'll probably stick with the old rules at least until the new expansion comes out.

Interesting. I think this setup is going to finally make me go away from the clock setup. A clock with plus-signs will annoy me too much. Probably just do rows now.

I want to play this game now.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
finished first batch of Minis for Legend of Drizzt.

I regret using too dark a green base color ..with the soft body black wash it ends up making the green very dark.I think I'm gonna add some white to the bottle and lighten it up.

Didn't do any dry brushing just primer grey base, then about 4 colors then washed with Armour on leather and metal, Soft body black on skin and stone on the bases.
and finished off with Matt Varnish spray.
Think I'm gonna try and buy the Army Painter Quickshade dip for next batch and see how they turn out.
Ah well its fun and makes the Figures more interesting to look at while playing.
C6oBh.jpg

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I like the texturing on the bases, mind sharing how you did that?

Sure. Its a paint that is really thick and has fine and coarse grit in it.
comes in a few different colors I used.
m2281423a_99189955002_ArmageddonDust_445x319.jpg

then after I used Secret Weapons Wash (stone color) to give it better shading.

Phthisis

A Game of Thrones is legit. Played last week after work with some friends, and they are all hooked (after getting hooked myself when I played at PAX East).

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
A Game of Thrones is legit. Played last week after work with some friends, and they are all hooked (after getting hooked myself when I played at PAX East).

It's a great game. I'm getting a game in this weekend with 5 or 6 people which should be nuts. That game really inspires a level of meta-play that I've not experienced elsewhere. I've never lost to this group so I feel like I'm going to have zero allies.

A Rune Age expansion, geez took them long enough. Might consider it now. Game was good, but desperately needed more cards to have longevity. 2 new factions and new cards for all, as well as new scenarios....

Game night tomorrow night again. Might be Game of Thrones again. I won as House Martell last time. We'll see how this one goes.

The Tammany Hall game looks interesting. I'll pitch in for the kickstarter, if it's as good as everyone says it is.

Game night tomorrow night again. Might be Game of Thrones again. I won as House Martell last time. We'll see how this one goes.

The Tammany Hall game looks interesting. I'll pitch in for the kickstarter, if it's as good as everyone says it is.

It seems to have a good buzz and a pretty high rating on BGG. Interested to see the game for myself.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
To answer generally on kickstarter timing, it's pretty straightforward.

You submit your project to kickstarter, then they review it and give it the go ahead (or not).

Once approved by Kickstarter you completely control when you launch the title and when the campaign ends.

I could theoretically push the launch button now, but I decided I'd rather build early momentum towards a launch date. Most titles seem to go with the "launch as soon as kickstarter says so" strategy. Not sure it really matters.

You submit your project to kickstarter, then they review it and give it the go ahead (or not).

Once approved by Kickstarter you completely control when you launch the title and when the campaign ends.

I could theoretically push the launch button now, but I decided I'd rather build early momentum towards a launch date. Most titles seem to go with the "launch as soon as kickstarter says so" strategy. Not sure it really matters.

I won't be able to bid until I get home from work and what not, but it will happen tomorrow. :)

eastmen

Banned

can you tell us what the pledge levels get you ?

StoOgE

can you tell us what the pledge levels get you ?

Yep, really straightforward pledge levels, all levels include free shipping to the US.

1 dollar gets you access to post comments (mostly for people part of a bundled order)

55 gets you a copy of the game + all stretch rewards
100 gets you two copies + 2 copies of all stretch rewards
190 gets you 4 copies + 4 copies of all stretch rewards

Beyond that you are looking at international bundle levels.

I wanted to avoid the multiple pledge level thing that a lot of games do, or the customization options. It makes sense for a lot of games. I'm not sure it makes sense for Tammany Hall.

Karak

Sure. Its a paint that is really thick and has fine and coarse grit in it.
comes in a few different colors I used.
m2281423a_99189955002_ArmageddonDust_445x319.jpg

then after I used Secret Weapons Wash (stone color) to give it better shading.

Best stuff ever. I use it on a great deal of products.

StoOgE

What do you do to harden up soft minis for painting?

I've thought about painting minis for Shadows over Camelot before, but the minis are so bendy I worry the paint would crack and come off of them.

I've just started a couple of games of Africana on
http://www.boardgames-online.net (not the BGO that implements TTA that Cathcart mentioned earlier).
It also has China, Hansa among others. [edit: All games by Michael Schacht]
It's async with email updates like yucata (even has it's own ranking system too).

Africana seems quite jolly, what with going on expeditions and adventures in Africa and discovering treasure in the late 19th century.
Co-incidentally I'm currently reading "The Scramble for Africa" about the same period which seems much less jolly.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke

I've thought about painting minis for Shadows over Camelot before, but the minis are so bendy I worry the paint would crack and come off of them.

I'm not really sure,these are the first mini's I've ever painted..the plastic mini's in Drizzt are pretty flexible but from what I've read as long as you prime them and after painting you use a varnish coat , the paint shouldn't chip.
If the SOC mini's are of comparable stiffness I'm sure they'd be fine

As long as you use acrylics and handle the figs carefully they should be ok. Course overly bendy part figs are not a good idea to be painted. You can't harden the figs but put on some varnish and such. Acrylics are more flexible than most paints but yea some miniatures used in many board games, I wouldn't bother painting just because you have ot treat them so carefully or they are too floppy that they are going to peel and crack in storage even.

Any models you paint also should be kept in special storage to prevent the figs from rubbing against one another, so painting minis for many games can be really a pain.

yamo

finished first batch of Minis for Legend of Drizzt.
C6oBh.jpg

Sweet, I love to see pictures of painted miniatures. Would like to try myself but don't have time or space at the moment. It feels like a jungle with all paints and washes and stuff aswell, which kinda holds me back.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Backed. Maybe I'll give it as a gift or my existing copy as a gift depending on how many stretch rewards are reached. :D

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Got second batch done..probably should have started with these since they have less going on.

I decided to just use the wash to shade the mouth and Eyes on the water elementals then matt varnish them..
they just look so good transparent I think a more minimalist approach is better.

The Yochlol I tried some dry brushing..its abit sloppy but I get how it works technically better now..
think I'll try that on the Howling Spirits and Hunting Drakes next.

pic1302893_lg.jpg

sneaky77

Got second batch done..probably should have started with these since they have less going on.

I decided to just use the wash to shade the mouth and Eyes on the water elementals then matt varnish them..
they just look so good transparent I think a more minimalist approach is better.

The Yochlol I tried some dry brushing..its abit sloppy but I get how it works technically better now..
think I'll try that on the Howling Spirits and Hunting Drakes next.

pic1302893_lg.jpg

that looks great man, awesome job

I have also backed Tammany Hall, got a little confused on some of the rules watching the vids but looks like it can be great fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom