• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Holy shit Descent 2nd edition gets worse. You can't even pick your starting equipment. It's like they want to remove all tactical opportunity and chance of mistakes.

Boo this man

Oh jesus you can't even pick how to spread surges or whether to pump one ability. This is so sad :(

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Holy shit Descent 2nd edition gets worse. You can't even pick your starting equipment. It's like they want to remove all tactical opportunity and chance of mistakes.

Boo this man

Oh jesus you can't even pick how to spread surges or whether to pump one ability. This is so sad :(

Reading about this game makes me wonder why they didn't just make the new one an offshoot and at least keep open the possibility of expanding the existing one. They seem totally different.

Cardigan

Stooge, did you consider adding in any other reward levels with extra stuff? If I've noticed one thing from Kickstarter, it's that people will drop money for all kinds of stuff besides the base game.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Stooge's Kickstarter is at $28k. Now that target is in sight, going to start hoping we hit those stretch goals. :D

looks like its gonna be a great success (knock on wood) very excited to playing it with my group , and would love to see it get a full set of meeples :)

Does anyone here play ZOMBIES!!! IRL? I have the Windows Phone pp and I'm completely addicted. I don't know that I could get my friends to play it, though. Any tips for shorter games for drunk people? lol

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Finished off my first Drow's The Drow Duelists.
Its interesting that most of the purple in the art for the Drow is to simulating lighting..
I find it hard not to add some into the default coloring of their armour.
Painting these have been incredibly fun, hope all the pics aren't overbearing.
pic1305395_lg.jpg

fenners

Finished off my first Drow's The Drow Duelists.
Its interesting that most of the purple in the art for the Drow is to simulating lighting..
I find it hard not to add some into the default coloring of their armour.
Painting these have been incredibly fun, hope all the pics aren't overbearing.

Keep posting! The pics rock & I wish I had the talent & time to do something like that!

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Stooge, did you consider adding in any other reward levels with extra stuff? If I've noticed one thing from Kickstarter, it's that people will drop money for all kinds of stuff besides the base game.

I thought about it.. but I honestly just wanted to get the game out there. I'm sure I could get more money per backer if I did a few things differently, but I really just want to get as many copies of the game out there as I could.

Coordinating extra stuff like shirts and whatnot was pretty hard because of shipping. My distributor is probably disinterested in shipping shirts and stuff.

I guess I can spill the beans, but I just signed an exclusive distribution deal with Alliance for Pandasaurus games. They are owned by Diamond Comics and handle Zman and Days of Wonder exclusively on top of handling some work for FFG, Rio Grande and others.

Does anyone here play ZOMBIES!!! IRL? I have the Windows Phone pp and I'm completely addicted. I don't know that I could get my friends to play it, though. Any tips for shorter games for drunk people? lol

Play base game for shortest experience. Also note, the more players, the longer a game of zombies tends to go, but at the same time is more fun... but then it has a good chance of dragging into unfun territory.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
With my 5th round of Game of Thrones today I am still undefeated. My group was already angry with me and I knew I'd have no allies, but with my random selection of Martell I was too far away for them to bother attacking. The fighting between Stark and Lannister allowed me to sweep around the south and bully Baratheon for my last couple castles.

Love it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
With my 5th round of Game of Thrones today I am still undefeated. My group was already angry with me and I knew I'd have no allies, but with my random selection of Martell I was too far away for them to bother attacking. The fighting between Stark and Lannister allowed me to sweep around the south and bully Baratheon for my last couple castles.

Love it.

Your friends suck! When I was taught Game of Thrones literally my primary focus was to make sure the teacher did not win. And he didn't! It was actually a pretty good game too with kind of a surprise ending caused by stupid-ass Stark just sitting back and never attacking anyone.

Your friends suck! When I was taught Game of Thrones literally my primary focus was to make sure the teacher did not win. And he didn't! It was actually a pretty good game too with kind of a surprise ending caused by stupid-ass Stark just sitting back and never attacking anyone.

Whoa! Game of Thrones board game and we didn't play it, for shame. I have a bunch of Winter is Coming one liners ready.

besada

Banned
Went out to work a table at Free Comic Day today and wound up buying Coloretto and Mansions of Madness. I can't be trusted in a game store with a credit card, apparently. Luckily, board games were 25% off, so MoM only cost me what it would have cost from coolstuffinc.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>

Haha it's honestly been very close every time and I always think I'm going to lose until a turn or two before I win. I doubt I'll keep winning much longer.

I've been very tempted to pick up the second edition.
For those that play it how does it play with 4? and how long a game is it with 4?

The base game is a bit unbalanced with 4, but I use this all the time now:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/738141/play-as-any-house-3-4-and-5-players

It's a variant letting you play as any combination of houses and they all feel very balanced to me. Today we played with Stark, Lannister, Baratheon, and Martell (nobody likes Greyjoy). I highly recommend this guy's work.

As far as length, today only took 2 hours, but normally it's closer to 3.

Tried out some new games last couple of weeks.

Mage Knight: played the walkthrough scenario with a buddy. Fairly steep learning curve, but really enjoyed the various systems and mechanics. We're going to try the fully co-op scenario this week now that we have a better understanding of the rules.

Lords of Waterdeep: tricked my wife into playing (who hates all things Dungeons and Dragons) by advertising it as a Euro with elements of Agricola and Puerto Rico (some of her favorite games). Despite the D&D branding, she really liked the game (though she felt compelled to rename the resources, like the orange fighter cubes became carrots... :)) Very well put together game with nice components and an amazing box insert. Strikes a good balance of being easy to learn, quick to play, but not feeling too light (unlike something like Small World, in my opinion).

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Finished up a few more mini's the Drow armor is definitely more intricate.
Ended up having to mix colors for Shimmergloom and ended up with more paint that I didn't want to waste so used it for cloths on these two Drow..
I think it all worked out pretty well.

pic1306627_lg.jpg

The Purple is 2 parts metallic steel, 2 parts shrieker purple and one part black.
The dragon membrane of the wings and underbelly is equal parts gold and black..works really good for the armor as well i think.

pic1306628_lg.jpg

Cardigan

Something's fishy with that Kickstarter...

Someone pledged the $500 level, which gives you 2 copies of the game, 2 magnets, and 2 tshirts. Buying those items individually would only cost $290....

And yeah, pledging $75 for a game that will cost $20-25? Very weird.

FillerB

I think the $500-pledger is Dr. Moorehead/the designer himself. He probably did it to get the ball rolling. The alternate possibility, that someone actually dropped so many bucks for such a ripoff, is too depressing to contemplate.

sneaky77

An unfortunate example of board game Kickstarters done wrong:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2112641168/dr-mooreheads-fun-box-0/comments

A card game, requiring a minimum of $75 donation to get the final game, even when the FAQs on the page state that the final game will retail for $20.

yeah a quick look into it really looks like a scam, they don't even have a hired artist, if you read the faq is after they get the funding they will get an artist so yea.

All the backers are probably his friends.

StoOgE

Thanks everyone! Been a very hectic week, but really exciting too.

Don't know what's on the kickstarter horizon, but I'm curious to see if Tammany Hall is hurt by Ogre and Zombiecide finishing. Wonder how many backers stumbled upon it while looking at the other games.

Thanks everyone! Been a very hectic week, but really exciting too.

Don't know what's on the kickstarter horizon, but I'm curious to see if Tammany Hall is hurt by Ogre and Zombiecide finishing. Wonder how many backers stumbled upon it while looking at the other games.

Didn't really see Tammany Hall being referenced on those other Kickstarters when I've looked recently.

StoOgE

Didn't really see Tammany Hall being referenced on those other Kickstarters when I've looked recently.

I'm more thinking people who are on kickstarter to fund a giant game an wind up jumping on others. Not so much direct word of mouth.

Hope you are right though!

I'm more thinking people who are on kickstarter to fund a giant game an wind up jumping on others. Not so much direct word of mouth.

Hope you are right though!

I'm 95% sure I will be funding Tammany - not sure why I'm waiting though. So there's one more for you!

I demand meeples.

Ogre is awesome, but the size of the game is oddly enough keeping me away. That's alot of precious game shelf space that monster of a box is going to take up. :p

fenners

Any Pitchcar fans? I'm getting sorely tempted to jump in head-first after selling a number of games recently. My kids are 3 & 5, and I suspect it /might/ be a hit with them... Anyone going to sway me? :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Any Pitchcar fans? I'm getting sorely tempted to jump in head-first after selling a number of games recently. My kids are 3 & 5, and I suspect it /might/ be a hit with them... Anyone going to sway me? :)

I rarely get to play it but I definitely dig it. Have several expansions.

besada

Banned
The prototype decks for the card game I've been working on came into today from Printer's Studio. I was really surprised at the quality of the cards. Nice and stiff, glossy and they feel great in the hand and shuffle well. Really good color, too. I'm stoked to take them to the LGS this weekend and get some play testing done. I'll be taking them to the Dallas Comic Con, too, where I'm babysitting a table. Should get some nice games in with a variety of people.

besada

Banned
That's excellent, besada. Hope the playtesting goes well. About how much does each custom deck cost from them?

Each of my decks is 162 cards, which ran about $18. Unlike Artscow, you can have a different back and front for every single card if you want. Since I have ten different faces and five different backs, I needed their flexibility. I'll post some pics tomorrow, probably.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom