• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played some party game this weekend called Nuclear Escalation. It's kind of like Bang!, but with most of the fun sucked out of it. I eliminated 1 player before their first turn, and was then eliminated myself before I got a full turn. Then the game took 2 hours to finish. Awesome!

On a totally unrelated note, I'm talking to a couple of European publishers about importing/publishing a couple of titles in the US/Canadian markets.

Are there any games that lack a US edition that you guys think need to be imported?

Die Macher? :D (No no, I'd just buy it and never play it since it has like a five-hour playtime.)

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
I actually think the expansion sold out between me adding it to my cart and trying to finish my order. When I go back to Amazon to look for it now it isn't even available except for secondary sellers who are trying to rip people off for $60. Hopefully more pop up in the next day or two.

Flynn

Played some party game this weekend called Nuclear Escalation. It's kind of like Bang!, but with most of the fun sucked out of it. I eliminated 1 player before their first turn, and was then eliminated myself before I got a full turn. Then the game took 2 hours to finish. Awesome!

On a totally unrelated note, I'm talking to a couple of European publishers about importing/publishing a couple of titles in the US/Canadian markets.

Are there any games that lack a US edition that you guys think need to be imported?

The Caylus special edition is in dire need of a reprint.

Keasar

I have no idea where this is supposed to go, either the PnP Roleplaying thread or here, but I read recently alot about a game being recently kickstarted called Serpent's Tounge. A card game of mages throwing spells at each other where you have to vocally speak the incantations properly to cast the spells. It has quite a few props, where leatherbound books represent your "deck" of spells (you store the card inside the pages in sleves). It has PVP combat and also adventures. I thought this just sounded really cool.

http://www.becomemagi.com/
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/500894669/serpents-tongue-a-new-magick-experience?ref=category

Anyone know anything about this?

Neverfade

RE: Games without US editions:
For the love of fucking lizard jesus, Trajan. You'd think Stephan Feld was some unproven designer. If its not in the works somewhere, make that shit happen.

Also, isn't Cards Against humanity just apples to apples with dirty words? Cause a better version of that game has existed for years, and its called Say Anything.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Also, isn't Cards Against humanity just apples to apples with dirty words?

They have added a few new mechanics that make it interesting, such as the multiple answer cards where you pick 2 or 3 cards in a set order to build your answer.

And I dunno if Say Anything has as...potentially offensive cards as the ones in CAH.

Neverfade

They have added a few new mechanics that make it interesting, such as the multiple answer cards where you pick 2 or 3 cards in a set order to build your answer.

And I dunno if Say Anything has as...potentially offensive cards as the ones in CAH.

Say Anything doesnt have any cards (not in the way they're used in A2A & CAH). Your mind is the card. And i guarantee I'm pretty offensive.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I wasn't able to afford Tammany hall right now, but I posted it on facebook and TWO of my friends bought it. So we all win right? Pretty sure it was pre-goal BTW.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Also, isn't Cards Against humanity just apples to apples with dirty words? Cause a better version of that game has existed for years, and its called Say Anything.

Yes, theoretically, but nobody who's ever played CAH would ever say this. It's an incredibly fun game. (So is Say Anything, but CAH is way better IMO)

frequency

I feel bad about Tammany Hall. I really want to pledge, both because it's a gaffer and because the game sounds interesting. But it's too pricey for me right now... especially since I'm not in the country.

I've been hearing a lot about this Cards Against Humanity. I'm not really into dirty jokes and stuff but I feel like I have to take a look at it.

Screaming_Gremlin

My QB is a Dick and my coach is a Nutt
Say Anything doesnt have any cards (not in the way they're used in A2A & CAH). Your mind is the card. And i guarantee I'm pretty offensive.

Agreed that Say Anything has the potential to be better (and I do love the game), but it rarely turns out that way unless you are with some really imaginative people.

After about 4 plays i find CAH is too repetitive. I have a printed version of the game, add on and a custom set that adds over 100 new cards and we've seen everything multiple times. Granted, the humour is in the mixing and matching of words and sentences, but a lot of the humour goes away once everyone has seen every card in their hand and every card that comes out. But maybe we just played it too much in a short period. It'll probably be just as funny in a few months.

Zalasta

To me, the fun in a game like Card Against Humanity becomes more about seeing new player's response to it and less about my own. So if you only play it with the same group of people, I imagine it will eventually wear out its welcome.

To me, the fun in a game like Card Against Humanity becomes more about seeing new player's response to it and less about my own. So if you only play it with the same group of people, I imagine it will eventually wear out its welcome.

That's very true, I'll always have fun introducing it to new people. Plus I think mixing new cards in makes it exciting again. The old cards are funny again because of the excitement of having new funny things in your hand, and it's exciting to pick up again not knowing what you're going to get. There's nothing better than seeing someone's incredibly shocked reaction when they pick up a certain card.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
I wasn't able to afford Tammany hall right now, but I posted it on facebook and TWO of my friends bought it. So we all win right? Pretty sure it was pre-goal BTW.

Thanks a ton! It's just as helpful (if not more!) when people spread the word on the game.

StoOgE

looks like Tammany Hall crossed 65k in the night!
I think the 80K+ ? is gonna really be an option
Grants StoOgE!

Thanks. It's actually doing better this week than last. I think we've got a shot at 80K for sure. I'm actually going to announce a 100K stretch goal, but don't know if that'll happen or not.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Thanks. It's actually doing better this week than last. I think we've got a shot at 80K for sure. I'm actually going to announce a 100K stretch goal, but don't know if that'll happen or not.

Not that I know anything, but 80k seems pretty assured to me at this point. It's been doing pretty much at least a steady 1,000 per day which would take it to like 88k. And there's almost always a big late surge as well.

I played Last Will last night. It's was actually pretty good. The theme is basically Brewster's Millions, if you remember that movie. A rich uncle left you a vast fortune but in order to get the entire thing you must first blow through 70 million dollars in a week. The game's goal is to be the first person to go bankrupt. So you must not have any cash on hand and you must not own any property. The main meat of the game is the card play. It reminds me a bit like London where you play cards to your display and then you perform the action on the card. The card actions revolve around spending money. For instance, you can have standing dinner reservations and for every turn you spend the amount on the card in order to have dinner. Some cards allow you to bring a friend along causing you to spend more money, which of course is a good thing.

Despite the light theme the turns can be confusing and trying to come up with a good strategy looks like it will require at least a couple plays.

Besides that we played 7 Wonders with Leaders and I ended up winning with 77 points pretty much just playing guilds and blue cards.

Tammany Hall

The game has finished.
******** finished with 35 points.
******** finished with 16 points.
superrobot finished with 15 points.
********* finished with 14 points.

Things I have learned:
Getting the immigrant majority is very useful.

StoOgE

Not that I know anything, but 80k seems pretty assured to me at this point. It's been doing pretty much at least a steady 1,000 per day which would take it to like 88k. And there's almost always a big late surge as well.

That is certainly the hope, but it's hard to know exactly what will happen. There *should* be a slowdown at some point soon.

StoOgE

Tammany Hall

The game has finished.
******** finished with 35 points.
******** finished with 16 points.
superrobot finished with 15 points.
********* finished with 14 points.

Things I have learned:
Getting the immigrant majority is very useful.

It's one of the things that first time players don't grasp until it's far too late. Immigrant leader is huge. If you aren't immigrant leaders in at least 1 group every election, it's going to be hard to win.

The value of favor chips is also often overlooked by new players. They are probably the most useful resource in the game.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Finished the first batch of Figures for Castle Ravenloft Boardgame.

Decided to try the ArmyPainter QuickShade Varnish instead of using wash for shading.
Its expensive but much quicker and it doesn't seem to tint the overall color of the paint like washes do.

I used the strong tone..which is the mid range general purpose Quickshade tone. It requires 48hrs to dry before applying the anti-shine Matt Varnish spray..which seems to work better over the Quickshade then it did over the Wash.

After doing the Dip process you do have to dab some excess off from pooling in corners but it wasn't that bad..I could have done some more on first 3 skeletons.

Leaving the Blue flames transparent worked out pretty good. I wasn't sure if the dip would adhere to the cracks, or just pool-up all over like the washes did without a primer.

Anyways heres first 4 pics.
pic1323724_lg.jpg

pic1323723_lg.jpg

pic1323722_lg.jpg

pic1323859_lg.jpg

frequency

Those look so nice (as your other ones do too). I wish I had the ability to do that with my own.

Can Tammany Hall be set up, played, and put away within an hour?

Those look so nice (as your other ones do too). I wish I had the ability to do that with my own.

I asked this a while back and the answer seems to be yes. (assuming everyone knows what they are doing). Not many rules to learn and simple actions.
I'll wait for the experienced folks to tell you about set up.
Just cubes discs and meeples so can't be too bad.

Are there any cyberpunk and/or good sci-fi tcg or LCG? Maybe a self contained card game like dominion?

Always wanted to get into net runner and stuff like that, but it was already oop before I heard about it.

Are there any cyberpunk and/or good sci-fi tcg or LCG? Maybe a self contained card game like dominion?

Always wanted to get into net runner and stuff like that, but it was already oop before I heard about it.

Netrunner is getting redone under the Android franchise by FFG. There is also another Android universe set card game coming soon from FFG

I ended up buying Hemloch on a whim after the box art ended up on the front page of BGG. It came Thursday and today my wife and I played a game. It's actually a really neat area majority(ish) card game. You play influence down on a given location at various times influence is checked and player markers are added. There are more rules than that but that's the gist of the game. It plays quickly (30 minutes) and has enough decisions to make you think before you play. It's a game that will go under the radar but it's really good. I recommend it if you are looking for a two player game.

Setup is fairly fast. The only thing that could take time is fishing out the starting cubes, since you need specific colors for set up. There are no cards to shuffle and players place their pieces as the game goes on so that cuts down setup time dramatically.

I have no idea where this is supposed to go, either the PnP Roleplaying thread or here, but I read recently alot about a game being recently kickstarted called Serpent's Tounge. A card game of mages throwing spells at each other where you have to vocally speak the incantations properly to cast the spells. It has quite a few props, where leatherbound books represent your "deck" of spells (you store the card inside the pages in sleves). It has PVP combat and also adventures. I thought this just sounded really cool.

http://www.becomemagi.com/
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/500894669/serpents-tongue-a-new-magick-experience?ref=category

Anyone know anything about this?

I would have jumped all over this if the kickstarter hadn't ended over a week ago.

Mikeside

I just won a copy of Space Hulk on eBay - listing says it's pretty much brand new - most figures still not popped out of the plastic, nothing damaged, nothing missing, nothing painted

Colour me excited - I've not played Space Hulk since I was about 10!

frequency

I asked this a while back and the answer seems to be yes. (assuming everyone knows what they are doing). Not many rules to learn and simple actions.
I'll wait for the experienced folks to tell you about set up.
Just cubes discs and meeples so can't be too bad.

Setup is fairly fast. The only thing that could take time is fishing out the starting cubes, since you need specific colors for set up. There are no cards to shuffle and players place their pieces as the game goes on so that cuts down setup time dramatically.

Thank you both. I think I'll pledge for that KS. It is a bit pricey for international, but eh, I should treat myself once in a while - plus it "helps" a gaffer!

I just won a copy of Space Hulk on eBay - listing says it's pretty much brand new - most figures still not popped out of the plastic, nothing damaged, nothing missing, nothing painted

Oh wow, sounds like a nice find (assuming you didn't pay some insane amount). Congratulations!

Keasar

I would have jumped all over this if the kickstarter hadn't ended over a week ago.

They actually have a "kickstarter" going on their homepage, pre-ordering the game, for roughly the same prizes. I am really, really, really close on going for the deal on a starter set for two players.

I have a brand new, sealed 3rd edition that I need to sell. I bought two at launch. It really is a fantastic game.

I'll recommend the Space Hulk card game by Fantasy Flight too. It's difficult but fun and can be played solo or with others. It's cheap too! Check out some vids on Youtube for detailed gameplay tutorials. The expansions add some interesting variety once you get used to the main game. I bought all if the expansions for 25$ off ebay, so the total price for everything was under 50$.

MichaelBD

Finally played Space Alert for the first time last night. Had a friend who had played it with some people from his work and he helped with the rules instruction. I have to admit I was nervous about how it would go over but my trepidation ended up being unfounded; it was a big hit.

We only played a couple of the training simulations but I've already placed my order with amazon for the expansion (the experience system looks awesome).

Also did what I thought I never would do: play a 4 player game of Mage Knight (with two new players). I wouldn't have attempted it if everyone involved wasn't as enthusiastic as they were.

I will say that having played the game 5 times (4 solo and 1 with two) was huge in making sure the game moved quickly. I had played enough that I rarely had to reference the rules (especially since we just played the toned-down training scenario) and I felt I could offer helpful suggestions, especially when someone felt they "couldn't do anything" on their turn.

MK really is a great game.

The other android card game is by Donald x vaccaro. Of dominion fame.

I'm still eagerly awaiting Nefarious. Donald is 2 for 2 so far... Kingdom Builder has really, really grown on me. I don't even hate the "one card at a time" thing anymore, as I've learned how to make that not suck (your first turn or two are SUPER important)

They actually have a "kickstarter" going on their homepage, pre-ordering the game, for roughly the same prizes. I am really, really, really close on going for the deal on a starter set for two players.

The Kickstarter rewards were more interesting to me, plus free shipping. Also my gamemaster friend was going to get in on one of the bigger sets and I was gonna hop in for the single player $25 version.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'm still eagerly awaiting Nefarious. Donald is 2 for 2 so far... Kingdom Builder has really, really grown on me. I don't even hate the "one card at a time" thing anymore, as I've learned how to make that not suck (your first turn or two are SUPER important)

I played this ten times or so at BGG -- really liked it at first (to the point where I was trying to track down a copy to buy to no avail) but then realized it is super light and super abstract even though the cards are cute.

Dreavus

Hmm, played my 4th game of Lords of Waterdeep yesterday (all 4-5 player games). Turned out to be pretty frustrating because I seemed to be on everyone's radar from turn two because of an early lead. I ended up on the wrong side of THREE mandatory quests in the mid-to-late game, which put me far enough behind that I couldn't possibly keep any semblance of a lead. Ended up with a tie between two other players which was decided by gold in hand.

What are your guys' opinions on these quests? At first I thought they could "backfire" by passing along victory points (if they're completed), but if you look at how many points they procure, it's not worth it at all. eg. 2 warriors and 1 wizard for only 2 points (!). It feels like they're such a big disadvantage for the person it's played on, and in a 3+ player game, they don't do anything for the person who attacked either. They end up feeling like kingmakers, particularly if played late enough in the game. I'm curious of other people's experiences/counters.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Hmm, played my 4th game of Lords of Waterdeep yesterday (all 4-5 player games). Turned out to be pretty frustrating because I seemed to be on everyone's radar from turn two because of an early lead. I ended up on the wrong side of THREE mandatory quests in the mid-to-late game, which put me far enough behind that I couldn't possibly keep any semblance of a lead. Ended up with a tie between two other players which was decided by gold in hand.

What are your guys' opinions on these quests? At first I thought they could "backfire" by passing along victory points (if they're completed), but if you look at how many points they procure, it's not worth it at all. eg. 2 warriors and 1 wizard for only 2 points (!). It feels like they're such a big disadvantage for the person it's played on, and in a 3+ player game, they don't do anything for the person who attacked either. They end up feeling like kingmakers, particularly if played late enough in the game. I'm curious of other people's experiences/counters.

I think there is a Care Bear variant on BGG because of this very issue. Seems reasonable. They're definitely negatives although it sounds like you got ganged up on to an extreme.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom