• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryaaan14

Banned
So I've accidentally become addicted to TableTop, and am kind of obsessing over board games now. Probably going to be reading through this whole damn thread.

Neverfade

Opened up Power Grid, was expecting paper money, but I still can't hide my disappointment. Feels so... cheap?

http://musedfable.com/

I have these coins, I use them for tons of stuff. Totes worth it.

So I've accidentally become addicted to TableTop, and am kind of obsessing over board games now. Probably going to be reading through this whole damn thread.

Advanced Squad Leader is as good of a place as any to start boardgaming!

Dammit. I don't like the sound of this. I've got Power Grid for my birthday in a few weeks.

Power Grid is a wonderful game. I have it and three expansions. But it's got paper money, and paper money always sucks.

I replaced my paper money in Airlines Europe and Lords of Vegas with these because they're lightweight, small, and cheap. Thanks for reminding me I had one more to "upgrade".

Neverfade

Those look really fucking nice.... how many would you suggest for something like Power Grid?

I don't own Power Grid so I have no idea how much you'd need to replace. I backed it on Kickstarter for 50 each of the copper/silver/gold and I've never had a problem replacing the money in any game so far.

Omikron

I don't own Power Grid so I have no idea how much you'd need to replace. I backed it on Kickstarter for 50 each of the copper/silver/gold and I've never had a problem replacing the money in any game so far.
Ah yeah, ok. Will check it out when I get around to playing.

fenners

A rare game order arrives from CSI today :) Zombicide base game, my own copy of Love Letter & the first Hobbit expansion for the LOTR LCG. Got a Memorial Day gameday to go to on Sunday & Zombicide will fit in perfectly. Looking forward to it.

And in a moment of parenting pride, gotta boast :) My kids were getting bored last night so I finally taught Lost Cities to my six year old daughter. I picked it up a while ago in a trade but was waiting for her arithmetic skills to improve over the year of kindergarten. We played without the bonus cards for now. She *loved* it. Totally understood the "upwards" sequencing rules for a pile after a game & the goal of 20 points. I'm really glad she enjoyed it.

A rare game order arrives from CSI today :) Zombicide base game, my own copy of Love Letter & the first Hobbit expansion for the LOTR LCG. Got a Memorial Day gameday to go to on Sunday & Zombicide will fit in perfectly. Looking forward to it.

And in a moment of parenting pride, gotta boast :) My kids were getting bored last night so I finally taught Lost Cities to my six year old daughter. I picked it up a while ago in a trade but was waiting for her arithmetic skills to improve over the year of kindergarten. We played without the bonus cards for now. She *loved* it. Totally understood the "upwards" sequencing rules for a pile after a game & the goal of 20 points. I'm really glad she enjoyed it.
Awesome story. My wife and I have been introducing games to my son as well. He's only 4 so we have been playing kid's games. Besides some of the "classics" like Candy Land we got him to play more modern games like Go Away Monster, Monster Chase (he loves monsters), Black Sheep, and Animal Upon Animal. He's crazy good at Animal Upon Animal too. He likes to stack the animals in the oddest ways and somehow makes it work. We also let him join us in games we play. He'll usually help us roll dice, move pieces or we'll modify the rules in our games to make it easier for him to play.

fenners

Have you tried Carcassonne with him, Joey? My four year old /loves/ to build out cities + roads, taking turns like normal carc. We just don't "score" or compete. It forces him to learn to take turns, obey the "rules" of laying tiles etc without worrying about scoring/competing.

Have you tried Carcassonne with him, Joey? My four year old /loves/ to build out cities + roads, taking turns like normal carc. We just don't "score" or compete. It forces him to learn to take turns, obey the "rules" of laying tiles etc without worrying about scoring/competing.
I haven't yet. In fact it didn't even cross my mind to play it with him. I'll definitely give it a shot.

So after reading the cyberpunk thread, I want to go all in on Android: Netrunner. I would like to play this game with friends so I have no problem buying the core and then going from there. If we like it, is each person going to have to buy their own core set and expansions or can we just share them with each other?

I would like to play more cyberpunk games in general but this one sounded real fun.

flyover

He's crazy good at Animal Upon Animal too. He likes to stack the animals in the oddest ways and somehow makes it work.

Yes! My wife and I bought that game for our niece (9) and nephew (7), and they often kill us at that game. It seems they have no strategy, but their steady hands (and maybe some innate spatial reasoning skills) make up for it.

A rare game order arrives from CSI today :) Zombicide base game, my own copy of Love Letter & the first Hobbit expansion for the LOTR LCG.

That's excellent! Love Letter is the greatest. It's a simple game, and there can be a good degree of luck to it, but it is probably the only game that has NEVER been a dud when I've played it. Whether with non-gamers, casual gamers, or more serious gamers, it's always gone over well -- and we never get sick of it. It really needs exactly four people to be at its best, though, which is why we don't always play it.

SupaNaab

What I Bought
Ladies and Gentlemen [SUSD Guest Kotaku Review]
Mage Wars [SUSD Impressions Review]

I also saw that others were saying in this thread that it might be possible to join the Zombicide Season 2 Kickstarter late. I can confirm that with this. I sent an email and got a response within hours. You have to email kickstarter@cmon.com to request the late pledge. Heres the extras you get (and optional stuff) for ordering.

QnFXWEY.png

Otherwise, I cannot find the "A Study in Static" data pack for Android Netrunner. I'm also mildly disappointed that both Netrunner and Mage Wars are not fully competitive (that is to say, have multiples of EVERY card) out of the box (or have the option to be). I hope Android will receive some sort of update for that, atleast Mage Wars has the two tomes.

Danoss

I'm also mildly disappointed that both Netrunner and Mage Wars are not fully competitive (that is to say, have multiples of EVERY card) out of the box (or have the option to be). I hope Android will receive some sort of update for that, atleast Mage Wars has the two tomes.

For Android: Netrunner, there is a solution; buy a second copy of the core set. Since I've seen so many complaints about this for those not familiar with this, here's how I've seen it best explained: don't think of it as a duplicate of a game you already have, think of it as the rest of a game you have the intro box for.

blurrygil

What I Bought
Ladies and Gentlemen [SUSD Guest Kotaku Review]
Mage Wars [SUSD Impressions Review]

I also saw that others were saying in this thread that it might be possible to join the Zombicide Season 2 Kickstarter late. I can confirm that with this. I sent an email and got a response within hours. You have to email kickstarter@cmon.com to request the late pledge. Heres the extras you get (and optional stuff) for ordering.

QnFXWEY.png

That's brilliant! Congrats and welcome to the family!

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

QnFXWEY.png

Otherwise, I cannot find the "A Study in Static" data pack for Android Netrunner. I'm also mildly disappointed that both Netrunner and Mage Wars are not fully competitive (that is to say, have multiples of EVERY card) out of the box (or have the option to be). I hope Android will receive some sort of update for that, atleast Mage Wars has the two tomes.

Nice, that was the same thing I got as well. Glad I got in for all the stretch goals. Pretty excited to get the new content. Went for the $150 pledge.In the mean time lots of new scenarios to play :)

Omikron

Awesome story. My wife and I have been introducing games to my son as well. He's only 4 so we have been playing kid's games. Besides some of the "classics" like Candy Land we got him to play more modern games like Go Away Monster, Monster Chase (he loves monsters), Black Sheep, and Animal Upon Animal. He's crazy good at Animal Upon Animal too. He likes to stack the animals in the oddest ways and somehow makes it work. We also let him join us in games we play. He'll usually help us roll dice, move pieces or we'll modify the rules in our games to make it easier for him to play.

Love these stories, my son just turned two and looking forward to when he is old enough to pay games :)

For those that like The Resistance, which version should I buy? Normal Resistance or Avalon?

I love the original version but is the Avalon better or just different? I like the sound of the Merlin element.

Piano

Banned
I prefer Normal. It comes with the Plot Thickens cards which, I think, are more interesting than the Merlin / roles element. Plus the theme of the base game was easier for the groups I played with to pick up than the medieval Avalon spin.

edit: I believe you can order promo cards that add the Merlin and Assassin to the original game?

Kwixotik

I played Last Night on Earth with a couple friends last week and had a lot of fun. Tried out the DC Deck Building Game too, enjoyed it as well.

Are there any fun dungeon crawling type board games? Like Munchkin, but more of a full board game than card game?

http://i.imgur.com/QnFXWEY.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I wish I had known you could do this. I just piggy backed off of my buddies pledge manager and added another fugitive to his order. I'm hoping that means I get the extras too.

I played Last Night on Earth with a couple friends last week and had a lot of fun. Tried out the DC Deck Building Game too, enjoyed it as well.

Are there any fun dungeon crawling type board games? Like Munchkin, but more of a full board game than card game?

Descent 2.0 Edition. It will own you.

I prefer Normal. It comes with the Plot Thickens cards which, I think, are more interesting than the Merlin / roles element. Plus the theme of the base game was easier for the groups I played with to pick up than the medieval Avalon spin.

edit: I believe you can order promo cards that add the Merlin and Assassin to the original game?

Thanks mate. Now the tough decision on what to buy.

You could play the munchkin board game...

I've just pledged to this latest kickstarter by mantic games. Its called deadzone and is a sci fi board game.
Looks pretty good but i did use a lot of my budget on myth

Please, before liking or sharing this picture take a minute to read the story behind it

http://jamplify.com/XN5xmX

I've just pledged to this latest kickstarter by mantic games. Its called deadzone and is a sci fi board game.
Looks pretty good but i did use a lot of my budget on myth

Please, before liking or sharing this picture take a minute to read the story behind it

http://jamplify.com/XN5xmX

Don't know why they are calling it a board game, its totally not. Its free form miniature game like war hammer. Its also skirmish game which is often more complex than standard war game rules.

So after reading the cyberpunk thread, I want to go all in on Android: Netrunner. I would like to play this game with friends so I have no problem buying the core and then going from there. If we like it, is each person going to have to buy their own core set and expansions or can we just share them with each other?

I would like to play more cyberpunk games in general but this one sounded real fun.
That's what I did with my friends. Each of us bought his own copy and data packs (expansions). A single copy will limit you to play a single 1v1 game at a time. You can do mini-tournaments with multiple copies.

tm24

So im trying to get my mom into board games, the issue is that she speaks no English. So im thinking, what games would you guys say are language independent? I got TtR and Carc so far.

Piano

Banned
Those are good ones. Every other game I think of has an exception.

Catan would work...except for the development cards.
Flashpoint: Fire Rescue would work...except for the explanations on some cards (unless she can remember available actions and specializations)

Acquire could work, if she can locate alphanumeric spaces. There's no text in the game outside of hotel names.

So im trying to get my mom into board games, the issue is that she speaks no English. So im thinking, what games would you guys say are language independent? I got TtR and Carc so far.
I think Alhambra would work. The only text is 1 word on the tiles, which are coloured differently anyway.
Stone Age, Oregon, Dixit should be ok.

Keasar

Race for the Galaxy uses only icons and card names on its cards. Though that might be a bit too advanced for a beginner in board/card gaming.

Petrie

Banned
Finally got a group together after well over 6 months of no "real" gaming, but ended up with 6-7 all day and everyone brought stuff for 4-5. Ended up playing Cards Against Humanity, King of Tokyo, We Didn't Playtest This/Either, and 5 Crowns. Had never played 5 Crowns, but boy does simply shuffling and dealing drag by the end (didn't help that it was our last game and people were tired). King of Tokyo went over great, I think the expansion with powers would help though, thoughts?

Need to bring my larger scale stuff though, 5-6 is easy, but when you hit 6-7 stuff seems to cap out.

That's what I did with my friends. Each of us bought his own copy and data packs (expansions). A single copy will limit you to play a single 1v1 game at a time. You can do mini-tournaments with multiple copies.

I pretty much went all in and bought the base set and the other expansions that I could. Apparently 2 of them are out of production atm so getting them are very hard. Will wait for a restock.

Pretty excited. Can't wait to try it out.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I pretty much went all in and bought the base set and the other expansions that I could. Apparently 2 of them are out of production atm so getting them are very hard. Will wait for a restock.

Pretty excited. Can't wait to try it out.
Hehe just spent pretty much all Saturday (10 am-7 pm) playing in the regionals here. The game just does not get old. It's incredible.

parasight

For those that like The Resistance, which version should I buy? Normal Resistance or Avalon?

I love the original version but is the Avalon better or just different? I like the sound of the Merlin element.

My friends and I prefer Avalon. The roles help make people feel more impactful to the game. It's nice to have players playing with different information. The Plot Thickens cards weren't really a big hit with our group when we played The Resistance. We ended up removing them and just making the old looking dude as Merlin and the girl as the Assassin.

My friends and I prefer Avalon. The roles help make people feel more impactful to the game. It's nice to have players playing with different information. The Plot Thickens cards weren't really a big hit with our group when we played The Resistance. We ended up removing them and just making the old looking dude as Merlin and the girl as the Assassin.

Thanks mate. I've decided that Avalon would probably be best for my group too. The character roles sound great.

Xater

So I kinda got tired of Flash Point. maybe that would not have happened if the German publisher would have put out any of the expansions. Bought Legends of Andor as my new coop game after it showed up on the Kennerspiel list. Looks very interesting and totally up my alley. Gonna try it out on the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom