• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omikron

anyone else backing this?
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/292764626/civility

I saw a few previews and looked quite interesting

Yeah... but that shipping outside of the US always kills board game kickstarters for me. Just not worth it.

What do you guys use for card sleeves/protectors? Any brand in particular?

I tend not to get them unless the game requires lots of shuffling (7 Wonders, Race for the Galaxy etc)... just stick to UltraPro or similar, just make sure the sleeve fits the card size.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

I use Dragon Shield because this is what I've heard Magic players recommend. But that's literally the only time I'll use sleeves is when required by tournament rules as in the case of Netrunner. :p

I use Dragon Shield because this is what I've heard Magic players recommend. But that's literally the only time I'll use sleeves is when required by tournament rules as in the case of Netrunner. :p

Haha. Which is exactly what I am looking for. Thanks!

Why are we always in all the same threads? STOP COPYING ME!

On that note, fairly large gaming group this Friday, I hate splitting into different tables but it seems inevitable. Oh well.

You first brah. I'm ready to unleash my cards to the woooooorld.

Actually, I'm just waiting for my order to come in. I might just say fuck it and buy another core set.

Xater

Just saw the Eight-Minute empire review from the Dice Tower. That game looks really neat. An area control game that could be banged out in such a quick time would be awesome to have. Glad to see that apparently multiple European publishers are already interested in it.

I used to use UltraPro sleeves 15 years ago when playing Magic, they are still in one piece and I used to play everywhere. They are quite scratched of course, but they are still in one piece and the cards in them were always mint.

Than this year, when I returned to the board and card games, I bought MayDay sleeves, thinking that I'll save some money this way. But they got noticeably damaged just by playing on nice clean tables (with tablecloth) in less than ten plays. Not to mention how they stick to each other all the time.

Next order, I bought FFG sleeves and I'm quite happy. They are more expensive than MayDays but I just like the feeling of sturdy plastic and their durability. Could have bought UltraPros again if not for that annoying hologram.

Neverfade

Got Mage Wars to the table and it definitely filled the gaps that Summoner Wars left for me -- perhaps even to an extreme degree. We played with the Apprentice decks so there wasn't as MUCH to learn, but it's still a large amount of information to absorb. Really interesting game of timing here. Now to go find a printout of the keywords/traits so I don't have to flip through 6 pages of them when I need to reference something.

Just bought my first set of board games. Ticket to Ride, Small World and Castle Panic. They're all pretty damn fun but Small World easily takes the cake, such an amazing little game. Are the expansions worth getting for the races/abilities? Would love to have some more variety.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Ok this King of Tokyo expansion sounds amazing. Too bad it's not out until October. :p

King of Tokyo: Halloween Monster Pack

- 2 new monsters (with their score board and their cardboard standee)
- 16 Evolution cards (for those new monsters)
- 12 cards featuring a new mechanism for the night of Halloween
- 1 promo card for the new stand alone planned in 2014
- 6 extra engraved dice (black & orange)

mercviper

Ok this King of Tokyo expansion sounds amazing. Too bad it's not out until October. :p

Day 1

Yeah, I'll bite.

Xater

So I played the first legen of Legends of Andor and so far I am enjoying this. I already see that there is some more stuff that will be added with the other legends. Seems more interesting to me than other coops I have played before. The very idea that new legends can change the flow of the game so much makes it exciting to me.

Also just ordered another Spiel des Jahres nominee: Augustus. Bingo + set collection + special powers. Looks like light fun to me. I wanted another game that is light, doesn#t take much time and can at least be played with 6 people. Seems to fit the bill perfectly. Will try it out tomorrow with my friends.

tm24

All my monies!

Played Netrunner for the first time a few days ago. It's super fun, but it seems significantly harder to play the Corporation as it requires decent bluffing skills and I have none.

Just bought my first set of board games. Ticket to Ride, Small World and Castle Panic. They're all pretty damn fun but Small World easily takes the cake, such an amazing little game. Are the expansions worth getting for the races/abilities? Would love to have some more variety.
How are you finding Castle Panic.
I'm looking at that as a potential co-op to play with my kids. Games where 'things' affect individual players stress them out unless it happens to me so co-ops are good.

fenners

Did "San Francisco Cable Car" go out of print or something? I've had it on my list of trades at BGG for a while & in the last month I've received three or four offers for it out of the blue, including one today for King of Tokyo & Small World Realms...

Played Netrunner for the first time a few days ago. It's super fun, but it seems significantly harder to play the Corporation as it requires decent bluffing skills and I have none.
The amount of bluffing you need depends on which corporation you are playing, your deck's build and your play-style.

I assume you were playing with the preconstructed decks. Jinteki is mostly about laying traps and depends heavily on bluffing. You'll find something fits you better as you play more.

ParityBit

When can we preorder??

Finally got to try the kick started game Gunship that got bit of hype while back. What a meh game. Lot of back and forth with heavy amount of luck involved. And we had lot of rules issues which then lead us to a large online FAQ as well as apparently already a bunch of new rules they tossed in. Component quality was pretty bad too.

The amount of bluffing you need depends on which corporation you are playing, your deck's build and your play-style.

I assume you were playing with the preconstructed decks. Jinteki is mostly about laying traps and depends heavily on bluffing. You'll find something fits you better as you play more.

Yeah, thats the suggested deck to start with, but thanks for the info. That helps a lot. I'm stoked to try some of the other ones.

Xater

So I am looking for another game and I think Alhambra looks fun. What do people think of it here? I want to get the big bo with expansions with that changes anything.

Also I have to say that apparently I really don't like worker placement games. Already sick of Village, before that Agricola and before that Stone Age. The only worker placement game I still have is the 2 player Agricola. I think that works for me because it is so quick and just 2 players. I was also eying Lancaster today because on the box it says 60 minutes but the people on BGG says it's more like 90. So I should probably also avoid that.

Another game I have been eying is Airlines Europe, but I fear it kind of scratches a similar itch as my favorite game Power Grid. Any opinion on that?

Yeah, I'm just waiting for my decks to come in. Super excited to play IRL. Just been messing around with a few games online to get a hang of things.

So I am looking for another game and I think Alhambra looks fun. What do people think of it here? I want to get the big bo with expansions with that changes anything.

Also I have to say that apparently I really don't like worker placement games. Already sick of Village, before that Agricola and before that Stone Age. The only worker placement game I still have is the 2 player Agricola. I think that works for me because it is so quick and just 2 players. I was also eying Lancaster today because on the box it says 60 minutes but the people on BGG says it's more like 90. So I should probably also avoid that.

Another game I have been eying is Airlines Europe, but I fear it kind of scratches a similar itch as my favorite game Power Grid. Any opinion on that?

I like Alhambra, but it's very light.

The expansions add a lot to the game, some are good some are bad but it's a huge value for the BB.

It was out of stock for a while, but finally got a chance to pick up and play Libertalia and found it to be quite worth the wait. As a fan of Love Letter and Citadels it's a nice addition.

Also, picked up a copy of Commands and Colors as I wanted a step up from Memoir but didn't want to go too far into wargaming (kinda saddened that Combat Commander completely does away with dice). Who would have guessed that putting on hundreds of stickers is a good timewaster after wisdom teeth removal?

Angst

Never played either of those, but I guess this means I should not fear that it feels too similar to Power Grid?
I love AE. I'd describe at as ticket to ride with a stock market and the stock market being the key part of the game. Everything you do on the board you do to raise stock values. It's an excellent game and I'd highly recommend it. New player tend to love it too and it's easy to learn.

Neverfade

Never played either of those, but I guess this means I should not fear that it feels too similar to Power Grid?

Definitely not. Its very structurally similar to TTR. On your turn you do one of 4 things, and you try to position yourself so you own the most stock of particular airlines when the scoring cards come up. I'm a fan because it's still fairly accessible, but TTR doesn't provide me enough meat.

Anyone have any opinions on Rallyman? I'm looking for a game that's playable solo that is not a deckbuilding game. This one seems like it would be a pretty fun game to try out solo when nobody else is in the mood for gaming.

Well seeing that only one Civilization board game is in print I think it's fairly obvious what he's asking.
You are no fun :p

On a serious note though, even though the official Civilization board game is Sid Meier's Civilization, Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is much, much more popular. And I hear people talking a lot about playing other civilization buildings games, but rarely, if ever about the Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game (2010). I haven't played the board game version, so I don't know why. But I thought it would be good to know before committing money on it.

fenners

You are no fun :p

On a serious note though, even though the official Civilization board game is Sid Meier's Civilization, Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization is much, much more popular. And I hear people talking a lot about playing other civilization buildings games, but rarely, if ever about the Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game (2010). I haven't played the board game version, so I don't know why. But I thought it would be good to know before committing money on it.

I think the slightly abstracted nature of Through The Ages throws off some people - the complete lack of a board/territory basically - but it's by far the best Civ game on the market IMO.

Xater

I love AE. I'd describe at as ticket to ride with a stock market and the stock market being the key part of the game. Everything you do on the board you do to raise stock values. It's an excellent game and I'd highly recommend it. New player tend to love it too and it's easy to learn.

Definitely not. Its very structurally similar to TTR. On your turn you do one of 4 things, and you try to position yourself so you own the most stock of particular airlines when the scoring cards come up. I'm a fan because it's still fairly accessible, but TTR doesn't provide me enough meat.

Thanks guys. Ordered Airlines Europe today together with Telestrations and Anike Duellum.

Neverfade

Telestrations is always good for some laughs. We just played Saturday and had ourselves in tears.

RE: Civilization.
Fuck Through the Ages err'day! SM's Civ boardgame is good stuff, and you get to see the fruits of your labor rather than tracking it on a glorified spreadsheet. :p

RayStorm

Through the Ages is awesome I imagine... if you don't forget half the rules/scoring things during the 10 hours it takes to finish a game.

That being said, I played twice and won both times. Woohoo! There's just so much to keep track of, at least the most expert variant would be much better suited to being played on a computer imho.

mercviper

Is there a good place to get alternate miniatures/props for board games? My friend has this zombie game that has terribly tiny figs and uses pennies/dimes/nickels to represent units/fortifications and she would like to spruce it up.

fenners

Through the Ages is awesome I imagine... if you don't forget half the rules/scoring things during the 10 hours it takes to finish a game.

That being said, I played twice and won both times. Woohoo! There's just so much to keep track of, at least the most expert variant would be much better suited to being played on a computer imho.

boardgaming-online.com ;)

Neverfade

Is there a good place to get alternate miniatures/props for board games? My friend has this zombie game that has terribly tiny figs and uses pennies/dimes/nickels to represent units/fortifications and she would like to spruce it up.

You could buy the game "Zombies!!!"

It comes with plenty of zombies and they certainly aren't worth playing the game they're made for. Heeey-ooh!

Neverfade hate train full steam ahead today.

Danoss

You could buy the game "Zombies!!!"

It comes with plenty of zombies and they certainly aren't worth playing the game they're made for. Heeey-ooh!

Or you can buy the 'Bag o' Zombies' which bears the 'Zombies!!!' branding for much less and achieves the the same goal. If different colours are needed, use the money you saved to grab some hobby paint and spray them.

Neverfade

Or you can buy the 'Bag o' Zombies' which bears the 'Zombies!!!' branding for much less and achieves the the same goal. If different colours are needed, use the money you saved to grab some hobby paint and spray them.

I thought this might have been the case. Go with this.

Angst

Thanks guys. Ordered Airlines Europe today together with Telestrations and Anike Duellum.

Cool, hope you enjoy them! Let us know what you think (both about AE and the other two games).

On a related note, the prices on Amazon.de are amazing. I'm used to buying board games in Norway and a game like AE costs 92 EUR here... :(

rodvik

If pennies represent one figure then 15mm terrain/minis would work well (pennies are often used at bases for 15's). Pre painted 15mm terrain is widely available on ebay.

If she is looking for a cheaper solution then go to Micheals or a craft store and buy....felt!

Grey felt can be cut out for buildings. Small black felt rectangles for windows and brown ones for doors.

Green felt is for woods or vegetation and darker gray or light brown for roads/tracks. Blue for ponds and streams. You can eve stack felt shapes to make contours for hills.

Even better if she decides to go for actual miniatures trees/buildings etc later than the felt can still be used as the base area for the terrain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom