• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercviper

Or you can buy the 'Bag o' Zombies' which bears the 'Zombies!!!' branding for much less and achieves the the same goal. If different colours are needed, use the money you saved to grab some hobby paint and spray them.

If pennies represent one figure then 15mm terrain/minis would work well (pennies are often used at bases for 15's). Pre painted 15mm terrain is widely available on ebay.

If she is looking for a cheaper solution then go to Micheals or a craft store and buy....felt!

Grey felt can be cut out for buildings. Small black felt rectangles for windows and brown ones for doors.

Green felt is for woods or vegetation and darker gray or light brown for roads/tracks. Blue for ponds and streams. You can eve stack felt shapes to make contours for hills.

Even better if she decides to go for actual miniatures trees/buildings etc later than the felt can still be used as the base area for the terrain.
Thanks for the suggestions. I linked her the Zombies!!! thing I found on amazon but I think they're actually the zombie figs she already has for the game lol.

I have a feeling she's looking to get some figs like my zombicide stuff which is probably going to cost her more than she wants. I haven't actually played/learned the rules of the game so I'll probably read the rules next time I see her to get a better idea of what she's looking for.

Xater

Cool, hope you enjoy them! Let us know what you think (both about AE and the other two games).

On a related note, the prices on Amazon.de are amazing. I'm used to buying board games in Norway and a game like AE costs 92 EUR here... :(

Jeez, that is some steep pricing. I got it for 30.

Amazon.de also has good deals from time to time. I think Lancaster is half off at the moment.

Edit: Ok got Airlines Europe today and played my first game. Really enjoyed it. I like games that have simple mechanics but still offer some depth. I also think this is better than Ticket to Ride.

Piano

Banned
Can you post some more impressions of Airlines Europe? I've been thinking about it as my next buy since Acquire is one of my favorites.

joelseph

Played over 24 hours of games this weekend. Got multiple plays of my current favorites Agricola and Merchants and Marauders along with a slew of other games. Wish it was twice as long.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Was thinking of picking up Mansions of Madness sometime. I know it is better with more people, but I imagine my wife and I would still have a good time with it. Plus I could use the investigator minis with Arkham.

Was thinking of picking up Mansions of Madness sometime. I know it is better with more people, but I imagine my wife and I would still have a good time with it. Plus I could use the investigator minis with Arkham.

The one negative that I have to always warn about that game, the set up is horrible. It takes a really long time to set up a game of Mansions of Madness, and really, its not a long playing game either. A scenario can finish real quick. I like the game but you need to set aside a good chunk of time before playing to set it all up. So many little steps to prepare the scenarios.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
The one negative that I have to always warn about that game, the set up is horrible. It takes a really long time to set up a game of Mansions of Madness, and really, its not a long playing game either. A scenario can finish real quick. I like the game but you need to set aside a good chunk of time before playing to set it all up. So many little steps to prepare the scenarios.

Thanks. Time is usually not an issue. Plus I will plano the shit out of it to try and make setup as quick as possible, :lol

Probably won't get it quite yet though since it is quite expensive. Maybe in a month or two.

Xater

Can you post some more impressions of Airlines Europe? I've been thinking about it as my next buy since Acquire is one of my favorites.

What exactly do you want to know? I particularly enjoy the decisions you have to make. When do I expand an airline so that the stock is more worth? When do I put out more stock so that I hold the majority and get most of the points? You only have the choice of 4 different actions each turn but they all matter and it#s still very simple stuff so it all moves along quickly.

Thanks. Time is usually not an issue. Plus I will plano the shit out of it to try and make setup as quick as possible, :lol

Probably won't get it quite yet though since it is quite expensive. Maybe in a month or two.
It's not just about seperating the components, the person setting up needs to answer a set of questions and create decks of cards that way. It's different for every scenario and it takes a while to do. Setup is also very important as it can break the game if not done correctly. If you were going to run a game get it setup in advanced of people showing up.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It's not just about seperating the components, the person setting up needs to answer a set of questions and create decks of cards that way. It's different for every scenario and it takes a while to do. Setup is also very important as it can break the game if not done correctly. If you were going to run a game get it setup in advanced of people showing up.

Ok, that's fine.

Piano

Banned
What exactly do you want to know? I particularly enjoy the decisions you have to make. When do I expand an airline so that the stock is more worth? When do I put out more stock so that I hold the majority and get most of the points? You only have the choice of 4 different actions each turn but they all matter and it#s still very simple stuff so it all moves along quickly.

Very nice. Sounds elegant and simple.

If you love Acquire, you owe it to yourself to try out Lords of Vegas. :D

Whoa, looks awesome. Have added to my 'buy' list. Thanks!

Xater

I just saw that Amerigo is on Kickstarter. It looks interesting and actually not too complex for my taste. I will no back it but might get it when it comes out here on October.

XShagrath

I just saw that Amerigo is on Kickstarter. It looks interesting and actually not too complex for my taste. I will no back it but might get it when it comes out here on October.
I'll wait and save 30% or so as well. I love every Stefan Feld game I've played, and I'm excited that there's three coming out this year.

I just ordered Speicherspradt(sp?) earlier today from Amazon for $16. Don't know much about it, but it should be fun.

Neverfade

Yeah, just a pro-tip: At least for the US, Queen kickstarters are uh....stupid. I made the mistake once, and paid 30% more to get the game two weeks earlier. I'd have gladly waited but I didn't know they print their games and then use KS as a preorder system until after the pledge was made.

Edit: There's actually 4 Feld's this year. Bora Bora, Rialto, Bruges, and Amerigo.

Xater

Yeah, just a pro-tip: At least for the US, Queen kickstarters are uh....stupid. I made the mistake once, and paid 30% more to get the game two weeks earlier. I'd have gladly waited but I didn't know they print their games and then use KS as a preorder system until after the pledge was made.

Edit: There's actually 4 Feld's this year. Bora Bora, Rialto, Bruges, and Amerigo.

Because of the exchange rate right now I would save 10€ compared to the current Amazon.de price, but Amazon prices usually fall closer to release. So I'll rather just wait. It's not like the game is at any risk of not being released. I am actually confused by the Queen Games Kickstarters.

SupaNaab

Kk2oFmN.jpg

All this and I think The Resistance is the one I'm looking forward to most :\

Xater

Kk2oFmN.jpg

All this and I think The Resistance is the one I'm looking forward to most :\

I love The Resistance. if you have a good group who can really get into it it's an amazing experience. Among my friends it can get pretty loud with accusations being thrown around the table, but it's all in good fun.

Personally I am not very much into 7 Wonders, but I always wanted to try out Twilight Struggle. I don't know anyone who has it and coming by a German version is pretty much impossible these days for a decent price. I think it only went into a very tiny run. :(

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I love The Resistance. if you have a good group who can really get into it it's an amazing experience. Among my friends it can get pretty loud with accusations being thrown around the table, but it's all in good fun.

Personally I am not very much into 7 Wonders, but I always wanted to try out Twilight Struggle. I don't know anyone who has it and coming by a German version is pretty much impossible these days for a decent price. I think it only went into a very tiny run. :(

What's wrong with just getting an English version? Fear for friends whose English is worse?

Piano

Banned

The Resistance breaks friendships. In the best way.

It's also wildly entertaining to play multiple games back to back because people carry grudges over when really being a Spy in one game doesn't mean anything for the next one.

Xater

The Resistance breaks friendships. In the best way.

It's also wildly entertaining to play multiple games back to back because people carry grudges over when really being a Spy in one game doesn't mean anything for the next one.

Oh it's so quick that we always play at least 3 games. It's the best.

Musan

Welp, looks like Stooge got banned, hopefully it won't be a long one. Time to keep your heads down during E3.

Also, after hearing good things about viniculture, is anyone buying their new game Euphoria on kickstarter? Looks interesting, though I'm not sure about it yet.

Neverfade

Played Avalon version of Resistance last night. Holy shit, SO much better. Luckily, you could work the new roles into the base game easy enough and I think there's a way to get vanilla Resistance versions of those roles.

Fuck the plot deck. Roles for life. Actually gave the game a bit of strategy and removed some guesswork.

Xater

Played Avalon version of Resistance last night. Holy shit, SO much better. Luckily, you could work the new roles into the base game easy enough and I think there's a way to get vanilla Resistance versions of those roles.

Fuck the plot deck. Roles for life. Actually gave the game a bit of strategy and removed some guesswork.

Huh, I might get it as well should the German publisher finally get it out....

PS. When did we get upgraded to OT Community? Totally missed that.
A couple weeks ago. Evilore posted a sticky thread saying he was moving the bigger threads to community.

Needed a solo game so I grabbed Friday

Only played it twice but it's really fun, easy to learn, and offers a great challenge.
Friday is great and pretty challenging. I've played it more than a dozen times and have only beaten it a couple of times.

I think I might have seen the name pop up around here but a friend bought Cosmic Encounters and we played a few 3-player games of it. It is a lot of fun. So many different races and so many things to watch out for. Still learning it but definitely a game I'd like to see played with 5 players.

Also, with all this talk of The Resistance, I saw a copy of it for €20 in that store too. I am unsure about the epansion though. Is that a seperately sold thing or is it just included in newer versions of the game?

If you're talking about the plot deck, it's in all 2nd edition copies and on.

But get Avalon instead.

Just looked this up. I must say, I like what I am seeing. I'm not too familiar with the specifics of the plot deck in TR but I'm willing to believe that the role cards make for more strategy and less guesswork (unless anyone wants to chime in for the other case). Also, I'm a sucker for the Medieval setting and the artwork on the cards looks sleek as fuck.

I don't list every board game Kickstarter by this Cthulhu drive looks amazing on all levels.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1816687860/cthulhu-wars

Figs look cool, but holding stretch goals hostage to pledges over 200 and many other stretches being just more stuff they want you to buy..... meh. Once you've blown past your goal, you need give us something for our money, as I rather just wait and buy it later online for 40% off.

I've pledged less for other kick starters and got tons of stuff compared to what I would get here for 200+.

* EDIT: And right now because they sold out of early bird packages, a person has to spend $240 minimum to get most of the stretch goals.

fenners

Taught King of Tokyo to my kids today. Because they're 6 & 4, I decided to ignore the cards completely & make 5 cubes exchangeable for 1HP or 1VP. The eldest *loved* it. The youngest, who is Godzilla obsessed almost, enjoyed it for about half the game & got bored. But I was really happy with my daughter's reaction... She's got solid reading skills but I think the cards introduce too much variance at her age for basic strategy & comprehension. I can see us playing this way again for sure.

Angst

I introduced my 76 year old father and his wife to modern board gaming this weekend with Ticket to Ride. They really loved it and after two plays on the USA board we moved on to Legendary Asia which they also very much enjoyed. I plan to buy him TTR Europe for his birthday.

It felt good to be able to play a game that I enjoyed too. Usually they play monopoly or yatzee...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom