• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mercviper

Anybody going to bggcon this year? I wasn't paying attention and missed early registration, but it seems there's still tickets for sale.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Life sometimes gets in the way of these things, but I'm planning on making this four years running at BGG. Maybe we'll actually get to game this time fenners :p

BGG con sounds like it would be fun to go to, looks like its in Texas though, quite the distance away from me, haha.

How about Pax Prime? whos going to that ? :p

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
First of all, I'm going to BGG con. Is there a list of other gaffers yet?

Second, I was thinking of trying to put together a game of Werewolf on NeoGAF. Opinions?
Telestrations is always good for some laughs. We just played Saturday and had ourselves in tears.

You should try pairing it with Cards Against Humanity. You'll die.
Us playing:
https://vine.co/v/bPIa7puvjrI (features some graphic sexual drawings)
https://vine.co/v/bPjlITmhxr5

Can I list this here?

Ticket To Ride + 1910 Expansion -$52
rC7mPnA.jpg

mercviper

Okay, bought and booked my room for bggcon this year. Hoping to see more gaffers this time maybe. :p

That Telestrations + CAH combo posted earlier looks mad fun. I think I'm going to have to get myself a copy of Telestrations ASAP.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Cards Against Humanity is a soul sucking waste of time. No thank you, sir.
Hey, I hate CaH, I'm just saying they get make good telestrations cards.
Okay, bought and booked my room for bggcon this year. Hoping to see more gaffers this time maybe. :p

That Telestrations + CAH combo posted earlier looks mad fun. I think I'm going to have to get myself a copy of Telestrations ASAP.
Its honestly just a boxed version of a game people play with pen and paper. You don't need to buy it... though its way more handy to hae the reusable pads.

Its a little like buying werewolf or charades, but the components are pretty great. Google telephone pictionary if you get excited about the idea but lack cash.

Its really fun.

Neverfade

Hey, I hate CaH, I'm just saying they get make good telestrations cards.

Oh, shit. I'm a dummy. I misread that and thought you were suggesting I try CAH.

I can definitely see using those as a good time. Might as well try, they're not going to get any use otherwise haha.

Xater

First of all, I'm going to BGG con. Is there a list of other gaffers yet?

Second, I was thinking of trying to put together a game of Werewolf on NeoGAF. Opinions?

You should try pairing it with Cards Against Humanity. You'll die.
Us playing:
https://vine.co/v/bPIa7puvjrI (features some graphic sexual drawings)
https://vine.co/v/bPjlITmhxr5

That girl in the vid looks a lot like Ashley Burch. lol

Now I am kinda upset that I sold my CAH cards. That is a genius idea.

depths20XX

After realizing most of my friends don't really care about playing board games and my girlfriend isn't going to get into the deeper stuff any time soon, I've decided to pick up a few solo games.

Ordered LotR LCG and Death Angel. From what I've seen these are pretty decent for solo play. Any essential add-ons for either?

Also heard Mage Knight is good solo? Just looks like it could be kinda lengthy.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
After realizing most of my friends don't really care about playing board games and my girlfriend isn't going to get into the deeper stuff any time soon, I've decided to pick up a few solo games.

Ordered LotR LCG and Death Angel. From what I've seen these are pretty decent for solo play. Any essential add-ons for either?

Arkham Horror is actually pretty fun solo if you want a meaty game. 3-4 investigators is the best if you can swing it. Ghost Stories is also great & quicker.

depths20XX

Arkham Horror is actually pretty fun solo if you want a meaty game. 3-4 investigators is the best if you can swing it. Ghost Stories is also great & quicker.

Yeah I actually have Arkham but only played solo the first time learning it. Usually play with others. The set up kinda turns me off from playing solo.

Also was thinking Ghost Stories looked cool. I'll check it out.

Ghost Stories is supposed to be good solo. Friday, Onirim and Urbion are well regarded small and cheap games.

Good luck with playing solo. While I love the bits and pieces I think big part of the appeal of BG is the human interaction.

depths20XX

Good luck with playing solo. While I love the bits and pieces I think big part of the appeal of BG is the human interaction.

Tried getting friends into stuff like Dominion, Small World, Carcassone, etc. They just aren't that into it. A few of them like playing Arkham though, strangely enough. My girlfriend will play TTR, Lost Cities, and Pandemic with me but don't really see her playing anything more in depth.

Shit sucks.

Oooh. It's continually tempting me at Amazon for £20 (roughtly $31) - how is it with 2 players?

So I finally played a two player game yesterday. Here's how it is with 2 players: My wife said "Can we play that again tomorrow?"

That probably depends more on the baby than anything else, but I said yes.

EDIT: This post is about Castles of Burgundy

Tried getting friends into stuff like Dominion, Small World, Carcassone, etc. They just aren't that into it. A few of them like playing Arkham though, strangely enough. My girlfriend will play TTR, Lost Cities, and Pandemic with me but don't really see her playing anything more in depth.

Shit sucks.

I totally get you since I'm on the same boat. But I would rather play light games with my wife than hardcore games by myself, I even got her to play Agricola so never lose hope (those animepples are a game changer).

I would recommend searching for a group or playing online if you get bored of playing solo. Yucata.de is great.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
That girl in the vina look s a lot like Ashley Burch. lol

Now I am kinda upset that I sold my CAH cards. That is a genius idea.

It is. She cool.

Oh, shit. I'm a dummy. I misread that and thought you were suggesting I try CAH.

I can definitely see using those as a good time. Might as well try, they're not going to get any use otherwise haha.

That's exactly our attitude upon suggestion. I saw someone vine it on TableTop day and remembered my friend had gotten CaH asa gift a while back.

depths20XX

I totally get you since I'm on the same boat. But I would rather play light games with my wife than hardcore games by myself, I even got her to play Agricola so never lose hope (those animepples are a game changer).

I would recommend searching for a group or playing online if you get bored of playing solo. Yucata.de is great.

Haha, good call on the animeeples, may have to get me some of those.

So I finally played a two player game yesterday. Here's how it is with 2 players: My wife said "Can we play that again tomorrow?"

That probably depends more on the baby than anything else, but I said yes.

EDIT: This post is about Castles of Burgundy
Good to know - thanks.

Kid Games Report
============
Just got Sleeping Queens to play with the kids.
They absolutely love it - demanding it over and over again.
The box says 8+ but there's very little text and if they can handle some simple sums (e.g. 3+1 = 4) it should be ok with 5+
Also got Zooloretto Mini but not played it yet.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Friend of mine showed me this kickstarter yesterday: Berserk: War of the Realms. It's a tactical card game with great art! Apparently it's based on a card game that's been out for 10 years but only in Russia. :)

I spoke with these guys a while back about bringing this to the US. They were pretty far along in their plans for the KS already so it didn't work out.

They've been trying to get this out as a boxed game (as opposed to a CCG style system) for the last few years and seem to have hit on a good value proposition. I think their last version had two factions.

It seems like a pretty neat game and the people who work there were very nice.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
A friends got the new Dominion Expansion last night. Curious to play it. Looks a lot less gimmicky than Dark Ages (which I enjoyed)
I know Dominion is no longer en vogue, but I still enjoy the system and I'm heavily invested.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
A friends got the new Dominion Expansion last night. Curious to play it. Looks a lot less gimmicky than Dark Ages (which I enjoyed)
I know Dominion is no longer en vogue, but I still enjoy the system and I'm heavily invested.

I'm heavily invested but think this might be the bailout point (finally! -- ha!). I really did not like Dark Ages. I just never play Dominion anymore. Fun game for its time, but I think the series is becoming a relic. ymmv of course (Base game and first few expansions are still great gateways though.)

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm heavily invested but think this might be the bailout point (finally! -- ha!). I really did not like Dark Ages. I just never play Dominion anymore. Fun game for its time, but I think the series is becoming a relic. ymmv of course (Base game and first few expansions are still great gateways though.)

Guilds is supposedly the end of the line for this version of Dominion. I have to say, it feels pretty "classic" and not as purposely weird as say Dark Ages (which I enjoyed)

Is there a similar game you'd recommend that isn't heavily combat oriented or some bastard version of MtG?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
A pure deckbuilder? Most aren't that great; I guess it's more that I've moved on from the genre. Ascension is quite good imo even though it does feel (completely superficially) "MTGish."

Guilds is supposedly the end of the line for this version of Dominion. I have to say, it feels pretty "classic" and not as purposely weird as say Dark Ages (which I enjoyed)

Is there a similar game you'd recommend that isn't heavily combat oriented or some bastard version of MtG?
I've been really enjoying Copycat lately. It's a deck building game mixed with a worker placement game (more specifically, the designer copied the mechanics for Agricola and Dominion).
I really enjoyed Marvel Legendary
I just got this in a trade. I've played it before and really dug it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom