• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
If anyone is curious about Dominion: Guilds we made a video discussing the new cards and mechanics. We're both idiots, it's kinda long and it was 3am, but I think it's kinda' fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wnY_efaH_wA

Sorry that we forget to look at the camera. Everyone on set was exhausted.
Haha it's okay, personally I like that you guys are focusing on the cards :) And I think you guys did fine on the analysis of the cards, I feel mostly the same way about them too. The cards I'm most excited about are Doctor and Herald, since I like to thin out my deck really fast and I also like to chain actions and use my whole deck every turn. If the deck is built right a Herald is pretty much +2 cards +2 actions (the peek and play is basically free), so I'm going to be so excited about abusing that >:)

If you don't mind me nerding out: the thing about the Baker is that the extra coin can make your starting hands matter way more. In most general cases, the only available hands that players get for the 1st 2 turns are 5 money in one hand and 2 money in the other (5/2) or 4 money in one hand and 3 money in the other (4/3). But with Baker in the kingdom, the available money in the starting hands changes to 6/2, 5/3 or 4/4.

The most common starts will be 4/4 and 5/3 in this case. Getting 2 4s usually isn't such a big deal (although 2 Treasure Maps at the start will be funny). The presence of the Baker makes it easier to hit 5 though, so early Witching/Torturing becomes more likely if those are available. It'll also be easier to get a Baker, if you like playing with coins.

But I don't think either of those could compare to the potential of starting 6/2. An early gold could be a very good start and be hard to compete against for other players that don't get 6/2. Goons is mean and usually quite an uphill battle to win against without using your own Goons... so imagine someone getting it on turn 1 O_O An early Altar could accelerate your deck very quickly. Lots of nice and nasty things happen with the 6/2 start.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier I like your video. Thanks for sharing! And I'll be taking a look at your other videos as well :)

So I've decided to finally jump on Summoner Wars and pick up the master set. I was thinking of picking up a couple extra factions to go with it.

Are there any must have factions, or factions that really mix things up? I'm not interested in any of the deck building aspects so the reinforcement packs will probably wait a while.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Haha it's okay, personally I like that you guys are focusing on the cards :) And I think you guys did fine on the analysis of the cards, I feel mostly the same way about them too. The cards I'm most excited about are Doctor and Herald, since I like to thin out my deck really fast and I also like to chain actions and use my whole deck every turn. If the deck is built right a Herald is pretty much +2 cards +2 actions (the peek and play is basically free), so I'm going to be so excited about abusing that >:)

If you don't mind me nerding out: the thing about the Baker is that the extra coin can make your starting hands matter way more. In most general cases, the only available hands that players get for the 1st 2 turns are 5 money in one hand and 2 money in the other (5/2) or 4 money in one hand and 3 money in the other (4/3). But with Baker in the kingdom, the available money in the starting hands changes to 6/2, 5/3 or 4/4.

The most common starts will be 4/4 and 5/3 in this case. Getting 2 4s usually isn't such a big deal (although 2 Treasure Maps at the start will be funny). The presence of the Baker makes it easier to hit 5 though, so early Witching/Torturing becomes more likely if those are available. It'll also be easier to get a Baker, if you like playing with coins.

But I don't think either of those could compare to the potential of starting 6/2. An early gold could be a very good start and be hard to compete against for other players that don't get 6/2. Goons is mean and usually quite an uphill battle to win against without using your own Goons... so imagine someone getting it on turn 1 O_O An early Altar could accelerate your deck very quickly. Lots of nice and nasty things happen with the 6/2 start.

Anyway, as I mentioned earlier I like your video. Thanks for sharing! And I'll be taking a look at your other videos as well :)

Yeah, I realized after we recorded it that I maybe slightly misunderstood the whole peek and play mechanic (I mentioned it potentially wasting an action) but I think Herald looks like a lot of fun. I think Soothsayer looks fun too.
The Baker thing is interesting and will definitely change the flow and feel of games. It's interesting that it just sort of, as a blanket effect, changes the first few turns for everyone, but I hadn't really considered the full gravity of it. You make some compelling points.
I mean, a gold when your deck only has 11 or 12 cards in it is pretty big. Same goes for goons.

joelseph

I am having a blast with Morels. It hits the table ~2 plays a night with my girlfriend. First game she actively wants to play and develop strategies for. Check it out if you are looking for a 2 person card game that plays light and is easy to teach.

KingoftheRing

Neo Member
Any recommendations for boardgame selling websites either within Canada or have cheap shipping to Canada?

You could try www.Germangames.com. They have flat shipping rates regardless of how many games you order and their prices are very competitive with any other Canadian Board Game stores.
And www.StarlitCitadel.com, while a little more expensive than some places, does offer free shipping on orders over $175.00 or free pickup on any order if you live near them.

Any chance you could update the OP with new pictures at some point Astrolad? Going to give it a read through in a bit though, have some family coming into town who will be staying over for a few days so I want to pick up something new.

daevv

You could try www.Germangames.com. They have flat shipping rates regardless of how many games you order and their prices are very competitive with any other Canadian Board Game stores.
And www.StarlitCitadel.com, while a little more expensive than some places, does offer free shipping on orders over $175.00 or free pickup on any order if you live near them.

Thanks. I'll check them out. I'm looking to get a cheap copy of Netrunner mostly. It's $30 plus $16 shipping on germangames.

Thanks. I'll check them out. I'm looking to get a cheap copy of Netrunner mostly. It's $30 plus $16 shipping on germangames.
I normally buy from germangames and have nothing but great stuff to say about them. You can also check out meeplemart.com which is pretty comparable, but sometimes there's a dollar or two difference since shipping is slightly less.

If you're only getting Netrunner, amazon.ca's Snakes and Lattes storefront has it for $35 + $5 shipping, but if you go to snakesandlattes.com, shipping is $15 if you're outside Ontario and Quebec. I picked up a lone copy of King of Tokyo through their amazon store to save the $5.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
Yeah I've also used germangames many times and everything went well. Prices were pretty good too from what I remember.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Any chance you could update the OP with new pictures at some point Astrolad? Going to give it a read through in a bit though, have some family coming into town who will be staying over for a few days so I want to pick up something new.

Yeah I need to do this. Was putting it off until we hit 200 pages and I needed to make a new thread. But maybe I can do that sooner rather than later.

Angst

Yeah I need to do this. Was putting it off until we hit 200 pages and I needed to make a new thread. But maybe I can do that sooner rather than later.
If you want to redo the Op completely you could ask a mod to lock this before the 200 pages mark.

Neverfade

Quick overview of some recent boardgaming:

Guildhall is pretty fun. Simple set collecting-ish gameplay where you really have to keep each other in check. Card design is pretty laughable, though.

Kemet is a worthy "sister-game" to Cyclades. Do yourself a favor and NEVER PLAY THE FUCKING LONG GAME. Call it at 8 points. It went on for another hour/hour fifteen for those last two points and really dragged the entire experience down. If it had ended at 8, I'd have few complaints.

Boo Who? is a kids racing game with a memory element. So naturally get your friends who like to drink and play the hell out of this.

Neverfade

If we're moving into the standard |OT| format now, my title submission is:

Boardgaming |OT| Seaside. Always Seaside.

daevv

Our hardcore Catan (Sometimes Lords of Waterdeep) group expanded to other games last night.

Played my first games of Pandemic, Zombies!!!, and a card game called Fluxx (Sci-Fi). All great games! We had a big group of people and Zombies took a long time so we never got to play Ticket to Ride, Last Night on Earth, or Small World which were all in the pile. Were hoping to get to them in another session.

Edit: Is Zombicide all hype or is it a good game compared to other co-op games? I looked for it at a couple game stores a while back but it was sold out. I have a chance to snag a new copy of the base game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If we're moving into the standard |OT| format now, my title submission is:

Boardgaming |OT| Seaside. Always Seaside.

Ha!

I'm trying to think maybe doing a reset and having it be main-OT friendly for a little while. As in, "hey if you are even slightly nerdy, and have IRL friends, why aren't you playing board games!? They're insanely better than the ones you remember as a kid! And they're mostly much better than video games!" Something like that, but shorter thread title.

joelseph

Our hardcore Catan (Sometimes Lords of Waterdeep) group expanded to other games last night.

Played my first games of Pandemic, Zombies!!!, and a card game called Fluxx (Sci-Fi). All great games! We had a big group of people and Zombies took a long time so we never got to play Ticket to Ride, Last Night on Earth, or Small World which were all in the pile. Were hoping to get to them in another session.

Edit: Is Zombicide all hype or is it a good game compared to other co-op games? I looked for it at a couple game stores a while back but it was sold out. I have a chance to snag a new copy of the base game.

Has your group played Agricola? A hardcore euro groups wet dream.

fenners

I'm really enjoying Zombicide. It's a far better zombie game than Zombies!!! for sure. There's one or two rules that frustrate some players - namely how ranged weapons always target other survivors in the same spot over zombies - but I'm digging it big time. It's not a short quick co-op game, mind, and there's a fair amount of luck with the spawn cards & random item draws.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Have any of you guys ever seen the Arkham Horror statistics page? I am currently living with the person (housemates) with the person who created it (and have been playing quite a bit of Arkham Horror). Might be interesting to anyone who has played or plays it.

Link to stats

I'm really enjoying Zombicide. It's a far better zombie game than Zombies!!! for sure. There's one or two rules that frustrate some players - namely how ranged weapons always target other survivors in the same spot over zombies - but I'm digging it big time. It's not a short quick co-op game, mind, and there's a fair amount of luck with the spawn cards & random item draws.

How much is Zombicide? Everywhere I see it, it is at $90. Is that the standard price?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Have any of you guys ever seen the Arkham Horror statistics page? I am currently living with the person (housemates) with the person who created it (and have been playing quite a bit of Arkham Horror). Might be interesting to anyone who has played or plays it.

Link to stats

Yes, good stuff. My Arkham is such a mess now though with various cards integrated I don't know what to believe hahah. As crazy as this sounds since I own nearly every Arkham expansion, I almost wish they did a reboot of the game because it's a great core game but has become so bloated, and could be streamlined too.

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Yes, good stuff. My Arkham is such a mess now though with various cards integrated I don't know what to believe hahah. As crazy as this sounds since I own nearly every Arkham expansion, I almost wish they did a reboot of the game because it's a great core game but has become so bloated, and could be streamlined too.

I was lucky to play with him, he has rebalanced (and reprinted) a lot of characters and the house was introduced to the game in 10 different scenarios, each one adding an expansion and certain cards. It was a good way to learn the game. It's a lot of fun.

Deadstar

For anyone wondering. Rio Grande Games is working with a few different companies to create multiple official Dominion storage solutions. These should be out within the next few months if all goes well.

Deadstar

I'm heavily invested but think this might be the bailout point (finally! -- ha!). I really did not like Dark Ages. I just never play Dominion anymore. Fun game for its time, but I think the series is becoming a relic. ymmv of course (Base game and first few expansions are still great gateways though.)

In your opinion what is the better deck building game? I have Thunderstone but I don't enjoy it as much. There are too many turns where you can't do anything because you don't get the right combination of cards.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
In your opinion what is the better deck building game? I have Thunderstone but I don't enjoy it as much. There are too many turns where you can't do anything because you don't get the right combination of cards.

I don't like Thunderstone very much either.

I dig Ascension quite a bit even though it's not for everyone. I've heard decent things about Eminent Domain (with the expansion) and Core Worlds as well. In terms of games with deckbuilding elements, I like Blood Bowl Team Manager (add dudes to your team). Puzzle Strike is kinda fun.

I liked the mechanics in A Few Acres of Snow a ton. Unfortunately the game itself is kinda broken. :/

For pure deck builder, dominion is pretty much the best choice. All others tend to follow similar formula and add complexity and length like thunder stone. Some are far worse than thunder stone in pacing and speed.

How much is Zombicide? Everywhere I see it, it is at $90. Is that the standard price?
You might want to wait for "Season 2". It's called Prison Outbreak and it's an expansion\full game. It adds Zombvivors (terrible name for playable zombie survivor characters) and some other special zombies. The kickstarter backers are getting it in August, so I can't imagine the retail release will be that far behind.

ohh Blood Bowl Team Manager looks real fun.
It's one of my favorite games. Plays kind of long with four but if you keep it to two or three players it's great.

fenners

I don't like Thunderstone very much either.

I dig Ascension quite a bit even though it's not for everyone. I've heard decent things about Eminent Domain (with the expansion) and Core Worlds as well. In terms of games with deckbuilding elements, I like Blood Bowl Team Manager (add dudes to your team). Puzzle Strike is kinda fun.

As much as you dislike Thunderstone is probably as much as I dislike Core Worlds. Did *not* get on with that at all, and I normally don't mind deckbuilders. Legendary, the Marvel themed one is /okay/ but nothing special...

Dominion is still the daddy for a reason...

Depends on what you're looking for I guess.

- Ascension has some interaction since you can sometimes affect what card other people have, but more importantly you can affect what's up for 'sale' in the middle. But also a good chunk of luck since what's for 'sale' is highly random.

- Nightfall has very little luck, since you can easily get your deck down to just the cards you want. But has a lot of interaction with it being a direct attack game where you chain your cards off of your opponents cards, which can make it pretty cutthroat.

- Eminent Domain has some interaction since on your turn you pick what type of action you will do, and the other players also get to do that same but often less effective version of that same action. Its largely not too random, but the different planets you can get definitely add some randomness.

- Dominion I havent played too much of, but from what Ive played it has as much or as little interaction as you want depending on what decks you use. Its also only has what you draw from your deck as its only random element.

Oh, and there is Race for the Galaxy, but im tired and cant remember much about how it plays right now :p

joelseph

Is there a good place for OCTGN tips for specific Netrunner cards? I am looking at GamersJudgement and the BGG forums and usually see vague topics about bugs at most. Like, how the heck do I use Personal Workshop correctly? Still not 100% about all the card interactions in OCTGN.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom