• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
In your opinion what is the better deck building game? I have Thunderstone but I don't enjoy it as much. There are too many turns where you can't do anything because you don't get the right combination of cards.
Like I said earlier in this thread, I'm really digging Copycat. It's not a pure deck builder but it does have Dominion style deck building as one of it mechanics.

Legendary is also fun and I prefer it to Ascension, which I've found to be a bit boring and beatable.

Xater

I ordered Cosmic Encounter today to after being interested in it for forever.

It's a great game. I sold my copy though. Couldn't get it often enough to the table because of the lack of a German localization. Why there is none for this game I will never understand. The German publisher has been selling the english version forever but apparently no interest in translating it.

Edit: Finally got my own copy of Ticket to Ride but i got myself the Germany version. None of my friends has this one so it will be nice change. Also got the Asia and Africa expansions. I also really wan the India & Switzerland one but that one seems to be out ou of print. I hope they do new run.

JesseZao

Just had a great boardgaming weekend and hoping to get some more gaming in during the holiday!

Played:

Tzolkin
Macao
BSG (mostly base with 5 players a couple times and then 7 once with a cylon leader - Hit of the weekend)
Dominion
King of Tolyo
7 Wonders

I'm not sure anything can match a 5-player game of BSG when each person is fully "into it." 'Twas just a blast to play. Tzolkin and Macao were both very interesting and I hadn't played them before. Definitely didn't have a winning strategy as a newbie, but maybe next time.

Apenheul

I'm not sure anything can match a 5-player game of BSG when each person is fully "into it."
BSG's my group's favorite board game. We usually play with all extensions, Ionian Nebula ending, and some cards removed that forced human-side play into a particular pattern. Of all games we've played BSG has led to the most memorable sessions which still get talked about more than a year later.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Played Libertalia for the first time (with 6p) on Monday, and really enjoyed it. Sort of like Citadels but a little quicker and crunchier. I also learned Seasons yesterday and look forward to trying it out today. Seems really cool and I love the art.

sneaky77

Played Libertalia for the first time (with 6p) on Monday, and really enjoyed it. Sort of like Citadels but a little quicker and crunchier. I also learned Seasons yesterday and look forward to trying it out today. Seems really cool and I love the art.

I played Seasons with a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, it was very fun and quick moving. I think we got a game in 40 minutes or so learning the rules and everything. I had looked at the rules before and played a couple of online games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I played Seasons with a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago, it was very fun and quick moving. I think we got a game in 40 minutes or so learning the rules and everything. I had looked at the rules before and played a couple of online games.

Yeah, for some reason before reading the rules I thought it was a more heavyweight game (not really what I wanted, but was willing to give it a shot). The rules are super straightforward though and I'm excited to learn the cards so I can play the Advanced/draft version, though for now per BGG recommendations I'm going to make my first game a 2p one with the recommended starting cards.

I also have a couple Feldies (Trajan & Castles of Burgundy) coming with my Netrunner preorders in the next month or two. I'm coming for you Neverfade if I don't like these!

Yeah, for some reason before reading the rules I thought it was a more heavyweight game (not really what I wanted, but was willing to give it a shot). The rules are super straightforward though and I'm excited to learn the cards so I can play the Advanced/draft version, though for now per BGG recommendations I'm going to make my first game a 2p one with the recommended starting cards.

I also have a couple Feldies (Trajan & Castles of Burgundy) coming with my Netrunner preorders in the next month or two. I'm coming for you Neverfade if I don't like these!
Castles of Burgundy is really good. I've never played Trajan but the reports from some of the guys in my game group is it's good, but there is too much to keep track of. Just for shits, my favorite Feld game is Pillars of the Earth Builders Duel (Burgundy comes a real close second just need a few more plays of it) and the worst I played is Macao. Macao is just too frustrating and unforgiving to be fun.

Neverfade

For the record, I've only claimed Castles is good. My copy of Trajan is unplayed thus far.

Bora bora is pretty good though.

Edit; and seconded, Macao is for shitheads.

Edit2: I didn't like Seasons very much, either.

Yay! I'm so happy I found this thread.

In a stroke of inspiration and genius (actually just desperation) I decided to buy Agricola for my wife and I to play after hearing some good things about it. I was hoping to use it as a way to get her into gaming.

Turns out I'm not even interested in getting her into video games, we're having so much fun with tabletop.

Netrunner just came in the mail today but we haven't tried it yet.

I'm also looking at Lords of Waterdeep and The Castles of Burgandy for my next purchase. Any other recommendations? We enjoy low luck, high skill games.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You will probably love Le Havre then (same designer as Agricola -- even more skill-based though I love Agricola for some of its random flavor :)).

Keasar

I'm also looking at Lords of Waterdeep and The Castles of Burgandy for my next purchase. Any other recommendations? We enjoy low luck, high skill games.

Twilight Struggle is absolutely fantastic for two players. Though the look of the box and game itself is kinda drab, it plays like a dream. Probably a plus if there is a shared interest in Cold War history.

You will probably love Le Havre then (same designer as Agricola -- even more skill-based though I love Agricola for some of its random flavor :)).

I haven't really looked at Le Havre after a a Dice Tower reviewer covering Ora et Labora talked it down a bit. I'll check it out.

Twilight Struggle looked awesome but holy hell at that 180 minute play time.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I prefer Le Havre to Ora et Labora, but I only played Ora a couple times. Too crunchy for me and the theme's not nearly as good as Le Havre imo.

Keasar

I haven't really looked at Le Havre after a a Dice Tower reviewer covering Ora et Labora talked it down a bit. I'll check it out.

Twilight Struggle looked awesome but holy hell at that 180 minute play time.

Oh yeah, forgot about that part, it takes a while to get through a round and for first time players it might be a bit longer. :p

Don't let that scare you though, its a fun game all the way through when playing.

I prefer Le Havre to Ora et Labora, but I only played Ora a couple times. Too crunchy for me and the theme's not nearly as good as Le Havre imo.

I'll definately check it out, but I still want to do a little expansion into other euro-style genres before I grab another worker placement. Yes, I know Lords of Waterdeep is worker placement, but I thought the theme was unique enough to warrant it.

Oh yeah, forgot about that part, it takes a while to get through a round and for first time players it might be a bit longer. :p

Don't let that scare you though, its a fun game all the way through when playing.

Twilight Struggle, if you can get someone to learn the game with you, has some of the best back and forth I've seen in a board game. Since you're constantly on the edge of making a huge play or getting screwed over by an opponent's play, it sort of flies by.

You guys are definitely making me itch about Twilight Struggle. My wife is from India and they have a close(r) relationship with Russia and Russian culture, so she may enjoy it.

Any other thoughts from people who have played:

Agricola, La Havre, Ora et Labora, Castles of Burgandy, and/or Lords of Waterdeep?

For someone who already owns Agricola, what would be the best second worker placement that wouldn't overly overlap?

I also keep reading reviews and anecdotes that ladies, for whatever reason, love playing Belfort.

Thoughts? How luck based is that game?

Xater

You guys are definitely making me itch about Twilight Struggle. My wife is from India and they have a close(r) relationship with Russia and Russian culture, so she may enjoy it.

Agricola, La Havre, Ora et Labora, Castles of Burgandy, and/or Lords of Waterdeep?

For someone who already owns Agricola, what would be the best second worker placement that wouldn't overly overlap?

I would say check out Tzolkin. if you own Agricola I think a lot of worker placement stuff will feel similar. Castles of Burgundy isn't worker placement so I would recommend that. Great game and works also well with two players. If you are into more complex games I would say that you should also check out Eclipse and Terra Mystica. If you are not only playing with the wife take also a look at Power Grid, which is my favorite game but it's not great with 2 people. very strategic, yet as pretty simple rules anyone can learn.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Its the only thing holding me back from buying it, haha. The theme is just not interesting to me, despite how cool I think Russians are.

Do you just not like politics at all? Because 1960 (election) and Labyrinth (terrorism) are very similar and both quite good. Labyrinth in particular is more complex though (whereas 1960 is a bit simpler).

Neverfade

good, the best, good, really good, terrible.

Le Havre is familiar enough to Agricola where you'll pick up on it pretty quickly (it also has fewer rules probably) but different enough to warrant owning both. It's superior to Agricola if you ask me.

Dominant Species is probably my other favorite worker placement but it's one of the heavier games of the genre.

As an aside, I find Twilight Struggle to be the antitheses of fun. Take that for what you will.

Omikron

I have wanted to dip my toe into Dominant Species, but worried my wife (regular playing partner) will hate. She does however love Agricola...

Apenheul

These are the games my group has been playing during the past month:

Diplomacy: this game is just so much fun and interesting but we often hesitate to play it because of the social mechanics. In diplomacy being stabbed in the back is worse than in any other game I've played because every single game-state update is incredibly meaningful. In this game emotion often drives decision-making, leading to very memorable situations. We've played it with 4 players (one didn't want to play it because she tends to take things personally) and then continued via WhatsApp and e-mail.

Battlestar Galactica + expansions: one of the all-time favorites of my group. Highly thematic, replicates the sense of urgency from the tv series well and also has very interesting social dynamics. We've played it around 12 times before the human side found itself playing using the exact same strategy repeatedly and winning almost every single time, hence we removed some of the cards that supported this strategy and kept things interesting for both sides. The one drawback of BSG is that one person is bound to come up with a 'masterplan' and whoever doesn't cooperate gets labelled a Cylon because he's not doing what's obviously best for the group.

Flash Point: Fire Rescue: easy to learn game and well balanced. Tactical rather than strategical (which prevents a player from ordering people around like in BSG), sufficient meaningful choices during a turn and interesting AI (fire-spreading). If we want to play a cooperative game within one and a half hours it's usually Flash Point. It scales really well with different numbers of players and within two turns even newcomers can get into it and due to the AI's randomness the game doesn't become a puzzle.

Gears of War: The Board Game: the surprise game of last month. It's a 1 to 4 player cooperative dungeon crawler without the need for a DM (AI cards take care of ordering enemies around). It plays somewhat like a board-game version of XCOM but with mechanics lent from the GoW series and the scenarios replicate some of the video game series' setpieces. Chance does play quite a big role in attacking and defending but the use of order-cards give players sufficient meaningful choices, Because of the automated but still fairly unpredictable AI (which works quite well) the game revolves around short term tactics more than long term strategy, which in my group is a good thing. Oh, there's also Horde Mode in multiple difficulty levels.

Puerto Rico: still a classic in my group and the eurogame of choice. We do see players doing the same opening moves over and over, going for the same type of buildings they always go for, but the randomization in resources forces players to adapt their strategies keeping the game interesting every time. Personally I feel the game is always over a little too soon but maybe I'm just using long-term strategies too often. Nevertheless, Puerto Rico is the game that gets played most in my house, partly because it doesn't take too long to set up and play.

Race for the Galaxy: basically a card-game version of Puero Rico with a different theme. We prefer Puerto Rico because with RFTG bad luck with drawing cards often undermines strategic play, for example, not drawing any military worlds if you went for that strategy (your starting planet might encourage you to use military strategy). I also think that with RFTG there is less opportunity to influence other players' decisions. But on the other hand, once you've played a couple of times and know which cards are in the deck the game gets more interesting again, and because it's so short it's my vacation-eurogame of choice.

I have Arkham Horror and Twilight Struggle on the shelf, unplayed. We expect AH to be our next big coop game, cooperative (thematically rich) gameplay is our favorite and in general we prefer long games over short ones. Therefore I'm confident my group will like it. I also really want to buy Twilight Imperium some time but I've got so many hours left in all these games that I'm holding out until we really want to play something new again.

Tzolkin is a great worker placement that doesn't overlap with Agricola at all. It takes a couple games to not feel that you are being played by the game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Damn I am finally on a roll in OCTGN Netrunner again. Kind of fell out of it for a few weeks and then was struggling when I came back. Now destructing fools again.

Does anyone on here play OCTGN Netrunner? Would be awesome to play gaffers at least once. :)

Do you just not like politics at all? Because 1960 (election) and Labyrinth (terrorism) are very similar and both quite good. Labyrinth in particular is more complex though (whereas 1960 is a bit simpler).

Politics is fine, Im just not big on American politics, I have to see more of that in Canada than I do Canadian politics, so it pretty much just soured me on it all for life.

I generally like the idea of politics more than actual historical politics stuff. If that makes sense at all, haha. Give me some crazy mind games politics in TI3 and im happy.

Damn I am finally on a roll in OCTGN Netrunner again. Kind of fell out of it for a few weeks and then was struggling when I came back. Now destructing fools again.

Does anyone on here play OCTGN Netrunner? Would be awesome to play gaffers at least once. :)

I still have it downloaded from last time you asked if people wanted to play, I still havent learned the rules though :p or how to use OCTGN, haha

Xater

Just got my copy of forbidden Desert. Gonna check this out tomorrow, or maybe I will play a solo game today.

Edit: Also I had another look at 2 layer games. Anyone has an opinion on Mr. Jack?

Slacker

Just got my copy of forbidden Desert. Gonna check this out tomorrow, or maybe I will play a solo game today.

Edit: Also I had another look at 2 layer games. Anyone has an opinion on Mr. Jack?

Mr. Jack is clever and plays quick, but I don't find myself wanting to play it too often. I also feel like it's a little overpriced for what you get. It's not a bad game, though. I can see a lot of people enjoying it. Pretty much exactly how I feel about Kingdom Builder. It's a decent game, and pretty fun, but I don't ever get it on the table.

Looking forward to the Forbidden Desert impressions.

Mr. Jack in New York is a better version of Mr. Jack. If you plan on getting one get that version.

So I'm looking for a wargame-esque game, that goes a little different from the Commands and Colors series (Memoir included)

I've narrowed it down to either picking up Combat Commander or wait and get Ogre (because I love the idea of the big warships among the chits).

Anyone familiar with either of those?

fenners

So I'm looking for a wargame-esque game, that goes a little different from the Commands and Colors series (Memoir included)

I've narrowed it down to either picking up Combat Commander or wait and get Ogre (because I love the idea of the big warships among the chits).

Take a look at Conflict of Heroes - I think it's the best of these wargame-like experiences, it's got the most streamlined combat/movement rules of the bunch but still has the experience/depth you're likely looking for.

Slacker

Take a look at Conflict of Heroes - I think it's the best of these wargame-like experiences, it's got the most streamlined combat/movement rules of the bunch but still has the experience/depth you're likely looking for.

Does Nexus Ops fit in this category? I heard about it on a dice tower video and was going to read about it.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member

Have you looked into Tide of Iron?

Thanks for the recommendations. I don't know anything about Ogre and something about Combat Commander seemed to not be my thing (using cards as the dice was actually kind of a bummer).

But of the three recommendations I got, I seem to be leaning toward Conflict of Heroes (the "Awakening the Bear" one) above the other two. I know this might sound odd but I kind of want a chit-based war game, though the miniatures of Tide of Iron seem really cool.

Basic Ogre is really one guy with a giant super tank vs an army. The new version thats out has lot of extra rules that you can do multi ogre battles and such but no idea if its any good.

But this is the problem with Ogre: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1646732/ogre

It's stupid huge.

Conflict of Heroes is great, new edition just came out too.

Wow, never had a single photo scare me from a game so quickly.

Conflict of Heroes it is then. I do appreciate the relatively small maps and fog of war systems in it.

Basic Ogre is really one guy with a giant super tank vs an army. The new version thats out has lot of extra rules that you can do multi ogre battles and such but no idea if its any good.

But this is the problem with Ogre: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/1646732/ogre

It's stupid huge.

Conflict of Heroes is great, new edition just came out too.
Yeah, they went full retard with that new version of Ogre. No game needs to be that big.

Yeah, they went full retard with that new version of Ogre. No game needs to be that big.

How I feel also about Cthulhu Wars. $170 MSRP, seriously? Nothing about that game required them to use such huge sized components for a board game. Figures are larger than most dedicated miniature games even. Huge board and pieces.... but folks are tossing money at it like no tomorrow.

Apenheul

Tonight I'm going to play Arkham Horror for the first time, managed to get a couple of friends interested in trying it out. I hope it plays well with 4 players.

Ooccoo

Tonight I'm going to play Arkham Horror for the first time, managed to get a couple of friends interested in trying it out. I hope it plays well with 4 players.

It's an amazing game, but I hope you are aware that a game will last you at least 3 hours, maybe more if you don't know how to play.

How I feel also about Cthulhu Wars. $170 MSRP, seriously? Nothing about that game required them to use such huge sized components for a board game. Figures are larger than most dedicated miniature games even. Huge board and pieces.... but folks are tossing money at it like no tomorrow.
You mean Chaos in the Old World but played with action figures? Yeah, I know what you mean.

On our Canada Day long weekend gaming session, our group played:

- Star Wars TMG - a few battles. The largest was with six ships per side and no battle was too one sided.
- Resistance: Avalon - played half a dozen games with seven people. Tweaked the card combinations a few times to try out the different characters and everyone really enjoyed it.
- King of Tokyo - played the base game, but with a seventh played (a Lightning McQueen toy). Still played well with an extra person.
-Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective - text based adventure of trying to solve a murder and in the end comparing your score to the of Holmes. For the first 3/4's we followed the red herrings, but got somewhat close to the actual solution near the end. I'm more of a visual person, but it was a neat game mechanic to try out.
- Kingdom Builder - a fairly simple area control game with the nice benefit of having 4 of 8 map tiles and 3 of 10 victory condition cards to randomly choose from. Adds more replayability with those random elements.
- Android: Netrunner - finally got to play with a friend of mine. Played for about 4 hours and loved it. I AM HOOKED.
- Gears of War - friends played this while I played netrunner. They were learning the rules as they went, so it took longer than expected.
- Zombicide - always a fun choice. The zombies were fairly tame this game, so the mission was a bit of a breeze.
- Glory to Rome I.V Edition - card game about rebuilding Rome and gaining victory points for completing buildings. Cards have about 4 different functions each depending on where they are placed. Really enjoyed it and want to buy a copy of the I.V edition. The I.V edition has a cartoony aesthetic reminiscent of Asterix, while the newer version has lost the cartoony look. After the kickstarter debacle, the game is harder to come by.
- Pandemic - again, I was playing Netrunner while this went on. I'm still anxiously awaiting my copy of On the Brink from my local store and will have to play it as soon as I can once I get the expansion.
- Tsuro - fun little tile placement game. Takes about 10 minutes , so we got a few games in.

All in all a good time. We almost played a Game of Thrones, but didn't end up playing it in the end. Thought a 6 hour game might be a bit too long for all the other stuff we wanted to play.

Also waiting for my preorder of Letters from Whitechapel from my local store. They better get it in. It's my most anticipated game right now.

XShagrath

It's an amazing game, but I hope you are aware that a game will last you at least 3 hours, maybe more if you don't know how to play.

...Or it could take 20 minutes and you're already fucked and give up. Admittedly, I've never played it with people who know what they're doing, but the three or so times I've tried it with a friend (at first only playing one investigator each, then two), we got fucked so fast that we quit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom