• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Sweet!

I actually usually play NR pretty late, like 10 PM and later. I will be trying to get some Netrunning in tonight though, have a tournament tomorrow 12-5. :)

Finally got a killer Andromeda deck (not that this is anything spectacular, but the win rate is excellent) but I am still trying to get HB fine tuned. Yesterday was nice because I handily beat someone who had an E3 out from the beginning. 2.0 Bioroids are quite solid E3 counters.

Made something over lunch for Joey and decided I would post it here. If this is against the rules please let me know and I will remove it.

Please let me know of any mistakes. Thanks!

Install and configure client and full art cards for Android: Netrunner on OCTGN

Astro, I will be playing a few league games tonight around 5cst.

Awesome.

Im getting an AutoIt Error with the cardsdl though. Dunno what it means!

edit: also! all these links need to be clickable, or copy-paste able :p

joelseph

Awesome.

Im getting an AutoIt Error with the cardsdl though. Dunno what it means!

Make sure you have logged into OCTGN and installed A:NR. I would close and open OCTGN a couple times to make sure it is up-to-date.

Then, with OCTGN closed, run Cardsdl.exe as Admin. It uses the directories it sees in OCTGN and that is what you need to make sure OCTGN is up-to-date.

Yes, but it will cost you a lot if you want a good variety of units.

Yeah, the expense has put me off it since it came out. But after watching a few things for it I reckon I could get away with a minimum amount of ships to start with at least.

Starndard build size for tourny and organized play is 100 points which can be on anywhere from 3-6 ships depending on your build.

It's a miniature game though, so you play it as you like really, there is no set in stone official rules on multiplayer.

3-6 ships isn't too bad then. I'm almost sold on this.

Make sure you have logged into OCTGN and installed A:NR. I would close and open OCTGN a couple times to make sure it is up-to-date.

Then, with OCTGN closed, run Cardsdl.exe as Admin. It uses the directories it sees in OCTGN and that is what you need to make sure OCTGN is up-to-date.

Does OCTGN need to be in a specific folder or something too?(I keep all my games in C\Games, rather than somewhere in C/Program Files)

and does the cardsdl file need to be ina specific place when I run it?

joelseph

Does OCTGN need to be in a specific folder or something too?(I keep all my games in C\Games, rather than somewhere in C/Program Files)

and does the cardsdl file need to be ina specific place when I run it?

I'm not sure if cardsdl needs octgn in the default location but I have never tried to put it anywhere else. I would start there. =)

I'm not sure if cardsdl needs octgn in the default location but I have never tried to put it anywhere else. I would start there. =)

Ive tried reinstalling, it still doesnt work :'(

edit: Figured it out!!

I had some Octgn folder hiding somewhere that was saving all my stuff, deleted that and reinstalled again, and now it works.

Thanks!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
I'll install it right now... is there chat? If not, mind adding me on steam and running me through it? :p BE MY TUTORIAL

Yeah there is chat in game. I'll make an invite for you. Do you have a deck made? I think OCTGN has the core sets.

Sorry by invite I mean I made a game with your name on it in the Play area.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah there is chat in game. I'll make an invite for you. Do you have a deck made? I think OCTGN has the core sets.

Sorry by invite I mean I made a game with your name on it in the Play area.

I have an account, I'm installing it right now. I'll just pick a core set if they're there. I'll accept the invite as soon as I'm done.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I disconnected, I guess I can't get back into the game? damnit :( I was just getting the hang of it, too!

All right, I threw together this deck. Thoughts? It's the first deck of any kind I built so be kind.
Identity: Haas-Biroid
Custom Biotics: Engineered for Success (Creation and Control)
45/22

Total Cards: (49)
Agenda (10)
Accelerated Beta Test (Core #55) x2
Sentinel Defense Program (Creation and Control #7) x2
Director Haas' Pet Project (Creation and Control #4) x1
Mandatory Upgrades (What Lies Ahead #11) x1
Private Security Force (Core #107) x2
Priority Requisition (Core #106) x1
Project Wotan (Creation and Control #6) x1

Asset (12)
Adonis Campaign (Core #56) x2
Director Haas (Creation and Control #10) x2
Levy University (Creation and Control #24) x2
PAD Campaign (Core #109) x2
Thomas Haas (Creation and Control #12) x1
Alix T4LB07 (Creation and Control #8) x1
Haas Arcology AI (Creation and Control #11) x2

ICE (15)
Draco (What Lies Ahead #20) x2
Heimdall 2.0 (Creation and Control #15) x1
Ice Wall (Core #103) x2 ■
Ichi 2.0 (Creation and Control #17) x2
Viktor 2.0 (Creation and Control #19) x2
Wall of Static (Core #113) x2
Data Hound (Humanity's Shadow #96) x1 ■
Shadow (Core #104) x3 ■

Operation (6)
Scorched Earth (Core #99) x2 ■■■■
Shipment from Kaguya (Core #100) x2 ■
Hedge Fund (Core #110) x2

Upgrade (6)
Awakening Center (Creation and Control #21) x2
SanSan City Grid (Core #92) x2 ■■■
Experiential Data (Core #66) x2
Total Agenda Points: 21

Influence Values Totals -
Haas-Bioroid: 43
Jinteki: 0
NBN: 7
The Weyland Consortium: 15
Anything I should replace? I have 2x core, C&C, Humanity's Shadow, and What Lies Ahead.

I guess I tried to get tags in order to set up Scorched Earth and Private security. Not sure if I need to lean more to a tag and bag or not. With this identity I felt sort of obligated to splash Weyland cards in it and they seem kind of stabby. Keep in mind that with this identity I cannot use Jinteki cards.

Ohnonono

Someone on BGG messaged me that they really wanted GMT's Infidel (a hex and counter war game with paper maps) and they sent me Battlelore! I have always wanted a copy of it but was not going to pay the crazy costs it takes to get it. Love it when a plan works out! I have battles of westeros which I do like, but Battlelore is a bit simpler to get less gamy types to play.

ParityBit

So I just got Dungeon Dice which was a Kickstarter game. It has really good quality parts, and the game was really fun.

Usually when I get one of my KS games I end up looking for more. Anyone else troll KS? I just pledged to this one. I think it looks like a good time.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/gamesalute/kings-forge

Anyone else have any KS games they are interested in/open pledged right now? I think I may want to back another one if something peaks my interest!

Neverfade

I preordered Cave Evil. This could be a huge mistake. Given its super limited print run at least I should be able to unload it should I not like the game.

So I just got Dungeon Dice which was a Kickstarter game. It has really good quality parts, and the game was really fun.

Usually when I get one of my KS games I end up looking for more. Anyone else troll KS? I just pledged to this one. I think it looks like a good time.

Anyone else have any KS games they are interested in/open pledged right now? I think I may want to back another one if something peaks my interest!

The more KS games I try or get, the less I want to pledge anything on KS. It's being flooded with so much crap. Got a couple shit games out of it that will likely never see table again, and friend went KS crazy has a pile of garbage now too. Every once in a while an ok game pops out, but yet to really see much in the form of actual good long lasting titles.

Tom Vassal runs games down here in Miami and he gets almost every KS game sent to him early to try so that he hopefully will give the game some attention. Probably 95% of these games he calls garbage and usually just gives the game away to anyone who is willing to take it off his hands at the game night. So many zany and "fun" concepts that just don't make for any truly good games that have any longevity. Many of these games often feel like silly fun, but you really rather not play it again.

So many actual good tested games come out every month, rather save money on those. If a Kickstarted game turns out good, usually can just buy it dirt cheap later online. I'm glad I sold off my Sedition Wars KS for a nice profit early when it's being clearanced out online for almost $35.

Freedom: The Underground Railroad a cooperative game where the players are Abolitionists trying to build the infrastructure to end slavery in the US. Very thematic and the prior print and play version of the game was fairly well received at BGG.

Planet Defiant looks to be similar to Arkham Horror but with a sci-fi theme. More of an unknown and a bit pricy, but they have been very responsive to comments, making changes to the project in response. The art presented looks really nice and if they can pull the rest of the graphic design together it should be an impressive package.

Incredible Expeditions: Quest for Atlantis is a steampunk deckbuilding exploration game. I haven't delved too much into this one yet, but it has a good look and rules are available for review.

The Cards of Cthulhu a light Lovecraftian mythos game. Again haven't dug into it too much but rules are available for review.

I'm also backing expansions for Agents of Smersh and Defenders of the Realm but obviously you would need the base game of these for the expansions to be exciting.

Now to go back to figuring out how to not be terrible at Dungeon Roll.

I'm pretty selective with my kickstarters. I usually avoid bgg hype and will look at dice tower previews. I backed evil baby orphanage which isn't good but it's cute and fun for what it is. Fallen was the last thing and I only backed it because I was looking for a two player game. I'm very wary of kickstarter.

I'm pretty selective with my kickstarters. I usually avoid bgg hype and will look at dice tower previews. I backed evil baby orphanage which isn't good but it's cute and fun for what it is. Fallen was the last thing and I only backed it because I was looking for a two player game. I'm very wary of kickstarter.

Yea if Dice tower doesn't preview a game either, then be very cautious. Many of the KS games he tries he simply tosses and gives it no attention.

daevv

I'm still waiting for my copy of Dungeon Roll. I'm in Canada so I'm guessing another week or two for sure. Dungeon Dice which I also backed is similar but doesn't come out till the fall.

One that I haven't pledged yet but I'm keeping any eye on is Trenches of the Great War. A World War I trench tactics warfare board game. It looks promising but I'm not a fan of the lack of actual miniatures.

Another game that has finished funding and I'm looking forward to playing is Berserk: War of the Realms.

I would love to play a game of cosmic encounter with Tom.

He rarely gets to play old games anymore, every company wants his attention so hes got constant influx of games being sent to him for free and his show to produce. His local game nights are usually just work for him trying out new games that he was sent a free copy of.

fenners

He rarely gets to play old games anymore, every company wants his attention so hes got constant influx of games being sent to him for free and his show to produce. His local game nights are usually just work for him trying out new games that he was sent a free copy of.

Hadn't thought about that at all, but it totally makes sense...

Put in a rare game order today with TimeWellSpent. Despite all the back & forth, ordered Sentinels of the Multiverse Enhanced Edition & a few of the extra character decks (and the oversized villain cards as suggested). I added in the newest Hobbit expansion for Lord of the rings LCG & Arkham Horror Insmouth - I've been keen to play this some more & organising out this will help give me the impetus. To round off the order, and the reason I ordered from TWS over the slightly cheaper CSI - Riff Raff. Dexterity game based around hanging things off a ship, the wrinkle being the cardanic hinge for the mast that moves around. I've had my eye on it for a while and a couple of gamer friends up in Canada who have similar tastes have really dug it, so I'm taking the plunge...

pic1674457_md.jpg

One good thing about TimeWellSpent, mind, is they'll price match CSI's slightly lower prices on the various games other than Riff Raff, a German import that CSI doesn't stock. Win!

All right, I threw together this deck. Thoughts? It's the first deck of any kind I built so be kind.

Anything I should replace? I have 2x core, C&C, Humanity's Shadow, and What Lies Ahead.

I guess I tried to get tags in order to set up Scorched Earth and Private security. Not sure if I need to lean more to a tag and bag or not. With this identity I felt sort of obligated to splash Weyland cards in it and they seem kind of stabby. Keep in mind that with this identity I cannot use Jinteki cards.

First off, I just got the Genesis cycle and Creation & Control, and haven't had a chance to play with them yet. I'm by no means super experienced, but here's my general feeling:

1) For the number of assets and agendas, 15 ICE may be a bit on the low end. You may have a hard time protecting your remote servers to generate funds while also protecting your central servers.

2) If you're hoping for Scorched Earth and Private Security Force, try and dedicate your deck towards it. I think you're right, you may need to lean towards a more tag and bag style, and I'm not sure HB is really set up to do it right now. Weyland may be your best option with 3 Scorched, 3 Private Security and whatever you can find that'll give tags.
Quick link to cards with 'tag' in the text:
http://netrunnercards.info/find/?q=x:tag+d:c

Seeing the previous entries makes me think that I really need to start playing OCTGN. I've got OCTGN set up (minus scanning in my C&C cards), but just haven't committed to learning the program and finding time amongst other grown up responsibilities. Plus, it's hard to find people to play with in a town of 60K, so online would be great.

Blizzard

Banned
We played Libertalia again this week. It took forever though since we had one new player and people were taking ages to pick cards.

It does seem like a fairly balanced game though. Last time with 6, scores were spread out a bit, and we probably played a couple of rules wrong, but 2 players ended up tying to win. This time with 3 players, one player got like 42 points in the second campaign and had a huge 15-20 point lead, but after the third campaign our scores ended up being like 78, 79, and 80 points. Super close.

And that was even with using different strategies. I got a fair number of doubloons for the freed slave over several turns, and the other players used the governor + witch doctor combination.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
First off, I just got the Genesis cycle and Creation & Control, and haven't had a chance to play with them yet. I'm by no means super experienced, but here's my general feeling

There's been a little debate as to whether Custom Biotics can pull off as good a Tag 'n Bag as Weyland. The one thing you definitely don't have with Custom Biotics is the element of surprise, since TNB is the predominant direction for it. I don't play TNB though so I'm not fit to advise really. I'm still running on rickety old HB superserver with 3 Biotics retained for flexibility lategame when runner economy is usually nuts (no SanSan though since it's not FA).

Did pretty decently in the tourney today -- 5th out of 20 or so. I actually thought my HB was going to get wrecked because I haven't been liking my OCTGN performance with it and I was making reactive tweaks even this morning. Runners overall did very well of course. I don't know if it's just in my head but it really feels like an accomplishment when you win as corp, whereas with runner it feels like you fucked up if you don't win. Everyone talks about Siphon but I think it's the R&D pressure that tipped the scales, in combination with all the other Denial cards (Siphon being the highlight of course) -- I mean how many fucking derez abilities do runners need? The one clean corp victory I eked out I had iced R&D to 7 or something and even still I won 8-6.

Andromeda: W-T-W-W
Engineering the Future: T-L-W-L

The Andromeda is nuts. I really would feel like a jag losing with it. One game late game winning handily I had 3 R&D interfaces in play for crying out loud.

EDIT: New tournament format is interesting -- where you just get points for individual games and not separate match points. Feels a lot purer and cleaner (focus on each game alone, don't worry about how many points you get in a loss -- just focus on winning), but less stressful and exciting. Overall I'm glad they did it though, because the old system was so unfair to already-downtrodden Jinteki.

Played Dominant Species today. Great game. Really enjoyed it.

Played Mansions of Madness and 7 Wonders as well. MoM was great as always but the Keeper just destroyed us in the end after he made us attack each other and kill one of our own. Great fun.

First off, I just got the Genesis cycle and Creation & Control, and haven't had a chance to play with them yet. I'm by no means super experienced, but here's my general feeling:

1) For the number of assets and agendas, 15 ICE may be a bit on the low end. You may have a hard time protecting your remote servers to generate funds while also protecting your central servers.

2) If you're hoping for Scorched Earth and Private Security Force, try and dedicate your deck towards it. I think you're right, you may need to lean towards a more tag and bag style, and I'm not sure HB is really set up to do it right now. Weyland may be your best option with 3 Scorched, 3 Private Security and whatever you can find that'll give tags.
Quick link to cards with 'tag' in the text:
http://netrunnercards.info/find/?q=x:tag+d:c

Seeing the previous entries makes me think that I really need to start playing OCTGN. I've got OCTGN set up (minus scanning in my C&C cards), but just haven't committed to learning the program and finding time amongst other grown up responsibilities. Plus, it's hard to find people to play with in a town of 60K, so online would be great.

There's been a little debate as to whether Custom Biotics can pull off as good a Tag 'n Bag as Weyland. The one thing you definitely don't have with Custom Biotics is the element of surprise, since TNB is the predominant direction for it. I don't play TNB though so I'm not fit to advise really. I'm still running on rickety old HB superserver with 3 Biotics retained for flexibility lategame when runner economy is usually nuts (no SanSan though since it's not FA).
Thanks guys, I'll retool the deck and forgoe the TnB idea.

Finally mapped out my GenCon picks up. I'm totally an Ameritrash guy, and I also love card games, so that's why there are zero euro-games on there.

Agent Hunters (light filler game) and Romance of the Nine Empires from AEG
Warmachine High Command from Privateer Press
Krosmaster: Arena from Japanime Games
Dungeon Twister Card Game from Asmodee

Anything else I should be looking at that's missing?

mercviper

Internet is out this weekend but I found someone else to play netrunner with so I have a reason to deckbuild again. whoop! Planning to get the expansions I skipped and have a deck ready to play during bggcon. :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Internet is out this weekend but I found someone else to play netrunner with so I have a reason to deckbuild again. whoop! Planning to get the expansions I skipped and have a deck ready to play during bggcon. :)

Nice! I hope someone sets up a real tournament this time. Silly to have so many Netrunners in one place and no proper tournament.

So... Stefan Feld games.

I got Trajan to the table again recently, and while that one rarely comes out due to the non-excitement it generates, while I was playing it, I remembered how engaged I feel playing his games. We all looked forward to playing again and trying different strategies, but it got me wanting to pick up another one of his games.

I also have Castles of Burgundy, which I wholly recommend, but are there any other must have Feld games?

I'm curious about Amerigo, but the cube tower looks a bit too unwieldy.

So... Stefan Feld games.

I got Trajan to the table again recently, and while that one rarely comes out due to the non-excitement it generates, while I was playing it, I remembered how engaged I feel playing his games. We all looked forward to playing again and trying different strategies, but it got me wanting to pick up another one of his games.

I also have Castles of Burgundy, which I wholly recommend, but are there any other must have Feld games?

I'm curious about Amerigo, but the cube tower looks a bit too unwieldy.

I got a copy of year of the dragon, just waiting to play it with the family.

mercviper

Since I'm getting back into Netrunner, are there any expansions I should skip out on? I already have What Lies Ahead, but I haven't been keeping up on the cardlists so I dunno if anything released has been obsoleted by newer cards.

Omikron

Went to a board game event on the weekend, good time was had generally... bit of a summary in order of play...

Cards (500, Black Bitch): Good. Pretty much both staples for our work group at lunch time, so good warm up.

Munchkin: I really don't like, but played anyway, dislike it more now, if that is even possible. Everything irritates me.

Kingsburg (with bigger player board module): Like this game, even if there is a fair bit of random chance with the dice rolling, everyone else hadn't played it before, but it is pretty easy to pick up. Don't think I rolled above a 12 (on 3d6) all game. :p

Fortune and Glory: First time playing this, and, not sure what I think. Like the theme, but I felt the game for the most part was a bit middling and had to wait far, far too long between turns. Just... ok?

Last night the wife and I played Agricola, with the NL deck, good as per always. Feel the NL deck is a bit 'stronger' than the others though...not sure if that is at all based in reality, or just how it worked out this game.

fenners

Fortune and Glory: First time playing this, and, not sure what I think. Like the theme, but I felt the game for the most part was a bit middling and had to wait far, far too long between turns. Just... ok?

People play this with too many folk constantly & it kills momentum & fun. 4 players max. I've done it with 6 & it just drags, drags, drags.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Since I'm getting back into Netrunner, are there any expansions I should skip out on? I already have What Lies Ahead, but I haven't been keeping up on the cardlists so I dunno if anything released has been obsoleted by newer cards.

Really depends what deck you want to build. I'd suggest making one on cardgamedb -- your optimal deck -- and then seeing if there are any you can avoid. Personally I get all of them. $10/month habit not too bad.

Omikron

People play this with too many folk constantly & it kills momentum & fun. 4 players max. I've done it with 6 & it just drags, drags, drags.

Yeah, think that is likely the case, lots of people saying we should have played with less to prevent that issue.

mercviper

Really depends what deck you want to build. I'd suggest making one on cardgamedb -- your optimal deck -- and then seeing if there are any you can avoid. Personally I get all of them. $10/month habit not too bad.

Oh, well if they all contain good cards for some deck then I'll get all of them. Just wanted to quickly check there weren't any bad eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom