• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karkador

Banned
Completed my first math trade on BGG. For my poor, neglected board games, I got new board games that I hope my friends and game groups will enjoy:

• The Capitals (city builder that looked really neat)
  • Sherlock Holmes (this thread sold me, and I think my friends will enjoy this one)
  • Lifeboat (quirky hidden role game)
  • R-Eco (very simple card game in my ever-growing Japanese filler games collection)
  • secret game, can't say yet (it's a gift for my girlfriend and she reads GAF)

I also directly traded another game on the side that I had up on the math trade, so that's 6 trades overall. Pretty successful, I'd say...and it feels like Christmas in March!

It plays way differently than quarriors in my opinion. Especially 2 player Quarriors which is hot garbage.

But Quarriors was also a super hyped up game that crash and burned. Of course I hadn't actually heard anything about this game in a positive light till Tom's preview, most people seemed to have written it off real quick, and suddenly people care now. Frankly I'm not going to get hyped as it features two things I dislike already and obviously don't always agree with Tom's opinions on games. I'm just surprised how quick some are turning around just from the words of one guy.

Collectible format can go fuck itself

But Quarriors was also a super hyped up game that crash and burned. Of course I hadn't actually heard anything about this game in a positive light till Tom's preview, most people seemed to have written it off real quick, and suddenly people care now. Frankly I'm not going to get hyped as it features two things I dislike already and obviously don't always agree with Tom's opinions on games. I'm just surprised how quick some are turning around just from the words of one guy.

Collectible format can go fuck itself

Quarriors is getting another large expansion this summer so it clearly hasn't crashed and burned especially since they're developing more games based on that basic model. It's just the kind of game that doesn't sit well with the general BGG fanbase which still has Twilight Saga as the #1 game of all time.

I'm also pretty "meh" about collectible formats, but game stores wouldn't still be a thing if it weren't for them.

Quarriors is getting another large expansion this summer so it clearly hasn't crashed and burned especially since they're developing more games based on that basic model. It's just the kind of game that doesn't sit well with the general BGG fanbase which still has Twilight Saga as the #1 game of all time.

I'm also pretty "meh" about collectible formats, but game stores wouldn't still be a thing if it weren't for them.

Well yea. Munchkin and Fluxx are super popular too but doesn't mean they are actually "good" games.

Game stores being alive because of the collectible format is not going to change my mind on a game though, it just instantly slaps my wallet away.

why did I click on this thread? Marvel Dice? I will be buying that. it looks like the kind of hot garbage that I love to play with people at work.

blurrygil

why did I click on this thread? Marvel Dice? I will be buying that. it looks like the kind of hot garbage that I love to play with people at work.

Well I'll be one of those. Looking for a solid mass dice game to play. Looks like fun, right out of the core set. Will stick with that and expand on my own. Not looking to play it out against others or in tournies. Just gonna treat it like any other expandable out-of-the-box game.

Well I'll be one of those. Looking for a solid mass dice game to play. Looks like fun, right out of the core set. Will stick with that and expand on my own. Not looking to play it out against others or in tournies. Just gonna treat it like any other expandable out-of-the-box game.

That's an ok way to approach, but with collectible games it often doesn't work the best since the whole rarity aspect and developing game meta creates unbalanced gameplay. Unless you can provide all players exact copies of the same rarity dice, you will be often playing with uneven playing fields. Why LCG like format games keeps things fair for everyone instead of a person getting a random collection with only some players getting to use the uber card or powerful combos.

Hopefully a starter or two is more than enough to have a fun game with longevity though that won't require a person to keep buying.

Neverfade

It plays way differently than quarriors in my opinion. Especially 2 player Quarriors which is hot garbage.

I watched that review. Close enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHhrZgojY1Q&feature=kp

For me to poop on?

dCzJzw0.gif

Bonethug

Board Game GAF, help me complete this CSI order.
Need something/s totaling $32.99 or slightly more.

My Collection
My order currently consists of: 7 Wonders: Wonder Pack, Agricola: ACBAS - Even More, Cheaty Mages, Coloretto and Cube Quest. I could be tempted to drop the Agricola expansion for a $40+ game.

Current leading contender is Escape: The Curse of the Temple. Bang: The Dice Game would also probably be added to the order if they happen to get it back in stock.
On the horizon, but probably not part of this order I would like to pick up Resistance: Avalon and One Night Ultimate Werewolf.
My group and I enjoy drafting, dice and generally lighter style games including card games.

ultron87

If you have at least 6 people Space Cadets: Dice Duel is really great. It has the real time dice rolling thing that Escape has, but is a somewhat meatier game.

blurrygil

If you have at least 6 people Space Cadets: Dice Duel is really great. It has the real time dice rolling thing that Escape has, but is a somewhat meatier game.

I second this. But add the Quests and/or Illusions expansions. Got Illusions in the mail with Quests getting picked up this weekend. I've heard the core game cannot be played without them, as it makes the experience THAT much better.

Pretty stoked.

Also, Dice Duel is on my radar, for sure.

Really eyeing Quantum after the SUSD review but know it'll never get played much, despite it being a bit more accessible than games like Eclipse. Also kinda weary of the whole "it's new and cool so buy it!" and then it just doesn't take off with my group or something (like Kemet did, unfortunately).

Want to get Tash-Kalar but I'm also between "dedicated 2 player board game life" partners. Maybe I just take a breather and don't get any new games for a long while.

Actually, what do you guys do when your game group goes through a shake up? Do you hold onto games that never get played anymore in hopes you one day you will get to play them, or do you sell them, or keep them as collectable thingies?

I have Earth Reborn and Twilight Struggle, which I know will never ever get played for a long long time, but I'm not about to sell those any time soon.

So I picked up the Vengeance Expansion for Sentinels of the Multiverse and unpacked it last night. Didn't realize it can be played as a full PvP game! Nice. However, my groups are mainly into co-op, but we'll definitely start battling when we get the itch. I just love the continued theme, with Baron Blade making his big, suped-up return!!

Unfortunately, Vengeance can't be played in PvP mode, you can just fight against multiple villains. I'm pretty sure GTG has gone on record to say that they are saving the PVP stuff for Sentinels Tactics. Still a great expansion though, the Sentinels are the most interesting "hero" they've done in awhile.

Also, this is my first post here, so hi everybody!

blurrygil

Unfortunately, Vengeance can't be played in PvP mode, you can just fight against multiple villains. I'm pretty sure GTG has gone on record to say that they are saving the PVP stuff for Sentinels Tactics. Still a great expansion though, the Sentinels are the most interesting "hero" they've done in awhile.

Also, this is my first post here, so hi everybody!

Welcome!

And yes, I stand VERY corrected. I thought this was to be played PvP style, and I was wrong. A friend led me astray, I'm afraid.

But I'm very excited to get it to the table...perhaps, tonight!

Welcome!

And yes, I stand VERY corrected. I thought this was to be played PvP style, and I was wrong. A friend led me astray, I'm afraid.

But I'm very excited to get it to the table...perhaps, tonight!

Enjoy it!

Fair warning though, the more villains you battle, the more fiddly the game gets, and the format of going hero/villain/hero/villain is a little rough. Eventually my group started celebrating when we defeated one just because it meant less math was involved. Though there is nothing like a game where it comes down to a 1 on 1 scenario, very thematic, very epic.

blurrygil

Quarriors! is currently free on iOS. I've never played the game, but it's the right price point to give it a try.

Yeah I might do that. But if I lean towards Marvel Dice, I won't want to get the tabletop version. But whatever, it's worth a shot. :)

In other news: I got more games in the mail. My modern collection is getting pretty massive now. Storage is getting a little tough, due to my other collections and hobbies.

blurrygil's BGG Collection

7 Wonders
Arkham Horror
Carcassonne
Carcassonne: Inns & Cathedrals
Carcassonne: The Princess & the Dragon
Cards Against Humanity
Cards Against Humanity: First Expansion
Cards Against Humanity: Fourth Expansion
Cards Against Humanity: Second Expansion
Cards Against Humanity: The Bigger, Blacker Box
Cards Against Humanity: Third Expansion
Defenders of the Realm
Defenders of the Realm: The Dragon Expansion
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Lair of the Wyrm
Diplomacy
Dominion
Dominion: Intrigue
Dungeon Roll
Dungeon Roll: Hero Booster Pack #1
Escape: Illusions
Escape: The Curse of the Temple
Formula D
Formula D: Circuits 3 – Singapore & The Docks
Formula D: Circuits 4 – Grand Prix of Baltimore & Buddh
Fortune and Glory: Rise of the Crimson Hand
Fortune and Glory: The Cliffhanger Game
Fortune and Glory: Treasure Hunters Expansion
A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (Second Edition)
Ghost Stories
Grand Dames of Small World (Expansion)
HeroClix
Kingdom Death: Monster
Krosmaster: Arena
Krosmaster: Arena – Frigost *Not received yet*
Level 7 [Omega Protocol]
Machine of Death: The Game of Creative Assassination
Magic: The Gathering
Memoir '44
Memoir '44: Pacific Theater
Memoir '44: Terrain Pack
Memoir '44: Winter Wars
Munchkin
Munchkin 2: Unnatural Axe
Munchkin 3: Clerical Errors
Munchkin 4: The Need for Steed
Munchkin 6: Demented Dungeons
Pandemic
Pandemic: On the Brink
Sentinels of the Multiverse
Sentinels of the Multiverse: Infernal Relics
Sentinels of the Multiverse: Rook City
Sentinels of the Multiverse: Shattered Timelines
Sentinels of the Multiverse: Vengeance
Small World
Small World: Cursed!
Small World: Tales and Legends
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game
Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game – Millennium Falcon Expansion Pack
Suburbia
Super Dungeon Explore
Super Dungeon Explore: Caverns of Roxor
SUPERFIGHT!
Tide of Iron
Tide of Iron: Normandy
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition)
Twilight Imperium (Third Edition): Shattered Empire
Two Rooms and a Boom
We Didn't Playtest This At All
Zombicide
Zombicide Season 2: Prison Outbreak
Zombicide: Toxic City Mall

Top 10 board game seller of fall 2013: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/28123.html

Seriously that shit Walking Dead game?

Card/Dice games are in a separate list: http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/28122.html
Walking Dead shows up on both lists. Really shows you how strong the license is with the general public.

I think the card game just a retheme of Slide 5/6 Nimmt/Category 5. Our game group used to play Category 5 as a filler while waiting for more people to show up. I f'n hate that game. You can get a stupid number of people playing, like 10, and it's easy to add players, which is why we played it so much. The problem is once you get that high in player count whatever you play really doesn't matter. I just ended up shuffling my cards and playing them randomly. I actually would end up doing pretty well playing that way.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Netruuuuuuuuner. Glad SW LCG is doing well too -- really fun game. Bummerish that there are some terrible games on there.

Marvel had support throughout the year while DC just put out their first expansion, that could be something. Either way, glad to see legendary doing well, it's a cool game.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Legendary seems to be higher-rated as well. I haven't played DC but most Cryptozoic games to me have a very samey pasted-on-theme sort of feel. Since the expansions I've become a pretty big Legendary fan after some initial skepticism about the difficulty level.

Having played both DC and Legendary it's night and day, Legendary took it to the next level with Dark City in terms of challenge and complexity, while DC is constantly the game we just bust when we want to relax and not think too much. Could be a big hit with casuals if it was marketed correctly, though, and I do enjoy it quite a bit.

Legendary seems to be higher-rated as well. I haven't played DC but most Cryptozoic games to me have a very samey pasted-on-theme sort of feel. Since the expansions I've become a pretty big Legendary fan after some initial skepticism about the difficulty level.
That's because it is the same game. All their deck builders share the same system and are carbon copies of each other with a new theme pasted on top.

DC is just a crappy Ascension copy that has next to know theme attached to the card effects in many cases. Legendary is actually pretty unique game and they did a good job with replicated the heroes with their decks. Lot of fluff and flavor in Legendary.

And come on, Marvel has always been bigger than DC, so doesn't surprise me that Legendary at least charted.

Star Wars X-Wing is huge from the miniature gaming charts, it's #2 behind Warhammer 40k

I can't believe Star Wars LCG is on there...I didn't think it was that popular.

Star Wars LCG is very good and has a pretty good bgg rating as well. It just didn't hit like Netrunner did. But all these LCG's pale in comparison in sales to the collectible games.

WTF?? My Little Pony is on the top 5 for collectible? Is it actually a game?

Also, I would assume that there is roughly 20 of the MtG crowd secretly into this, too.

I played Resistance Avalon for the first time last night. I think I prefer vanilla Resistance. Maybe it's just that we played with too many characters, but I thought all the special powers got in the way of the pure deduction of the original. There was just too much chaos to even make sense of what the hell was going on.

Been playing a lot of BattleCON (War and Devastation) and having a ton of fun with it. Feels a lot like a fighting game, and the unique mechanics of each character really support playing over and over to get better, I like that you and your group can develop your own personal metagame. Plus the sheer amount of content is a huge bonus.

Edit: Though the storage for both games is a mess, are there any decent solutions out there?

Neverfade

I played Resistance Avalon for the first time last night. I think I prefer vanilla Resistance. Maybe it's just that we played with too many characters, but I thought all the special powers got in the way of the pure deduction of the original. There was just too much chaos to even make sense of what the hell was going on.

You're breaking my heart.

So far we have only played with Merlin + Assassin. I think the Merlin character is really neat but so far in my group Merlin has basically either hurt his team or done mostly nothing. Also despite my initial thoughts this game + drinking probably isn't the best. People are awful at this game when they have been drinking.

Avalon is either played first in my gaming groups or not at all. Drinking only emphasises that hah.

Going, Going, Gone! opinions? SUSD are great but I'm starting to walk a little bit more cautiously around what I think I like and what they do.

Phthisis

Avalon is either played first in my gaming groups or not at all. Drinking only emphasises that hah.

Going, Going, Gone! opinions? SUSD are great but I'm starting to walk a little bit more cautiously around what I think I like and what they do.

Friends who have played it were meh on it.

ultron87

So far we have only played with Merlin + Assassin. I think the Merlin character is really neat but so far in my group Merlin has basically either hurt his team or done mostly nothing. Also despite my initial thoughts this game + drinking probably isn't the best. People are awful at this game when they have been drinking.

Percival makes the game way better. He can run defense for Merlin and also know who to listen to.

parasight

I've played hundreds of games of Avalon. We played a shitton over the last summer. Merlin + Assassin + Percival + Morgana turned out to be the best combo. Most competitive games.

EYEL1NER

I see people talking about Resistance and Avalon. I wish I had enough people here to play those, because they look good...

New Smash Up expansion is almost upon us (or some of you may even have it already, depending on who you bought it from). I cannot wait to play with those decks, but I'll be buying it while home in the US on vacation and my copy of the game is remaining up here. So it will be 7 weeks until I can play it. Makes me disappointed that I cannot go to GenCon, because I want that new box (that will old all cards and contain an exclusive class) and the Halloween-themed deck that I believe will be there as well (I believe it was mentioned that it will be there early for con-goers to buy before it drops; really hoping for Vampires and some kind of Lycanthrope class).

A coworker and I tried to play Arkham Horror again this morning. We only had two hours to play after setting up before work ended, but we got a lot more turns in this time than we did last time. It has been a big enough break since the first time we tried it though that we forgot most everything about it. There was still a lot of rule checking and me wheeling myself over to my computer to look at some of the reference guides on BGG. And we still ended up doing some things horribly wrong. I just watched an hour-long tutorial on YT and feel a lot more confident at the moment. We may have to try again tonight while everything is fresh (really wish my coworker had internet in his room and could watch this too, because I think it will help us out a lot).

I really want to have Arkham down before I go home next week. I plan to hit up game shops in SC and MO while on vacation and a couple have things going on. I know there is an gathering in Columbia, SC for Tabletop Day where people will be gaming and then a game shop outside KC, MO has a game night every week. I want to be as familiar with the Arkham rules as I can get before I leave, because I want to go try to play games with other people and force myself to socialize. Some of my anxiety starts kicking in when I think about though; I get to thinking "I am going to sit down to play with some people and they will immediately know that I have no fucking idea what I am doing. I don't want to hear a bunch of 'Ummm, what are you doing?' or 'Yeah, that isn't how that works...' from anyone."

Seeing that Betrayal at the House on the Hill is popping up in stock many places and people are getting copies made me look into it and wow. That looks pretty fun. It looks like it would be something I could play with the wife as well. She is into scary stuff and horror movies, a lot more than I am. And it didn't look TOO complex either. I definitely need to keep an eye on that, because I like what I am seeing.

Dreavus

Been playing a lot of BattleCON (War and Devastation) and having a ton of fun with it. Feels a lot like a fighting game, and the unique mechanics of each character really support playing over and over to get better, I like that you and your group can develop your own personal metagame. Plus the sheer amount of content is a huge bonus.

Edit: Though the storage for both games is a mess, are there any decent solutions out there?

I tossed the insert and sleeved everything, and it kinda works having a stack of cards running down both long sides of the box. Tokens/markers are all bagged by "flight" (I only own Devastation) and sit in the middle, kind of keeping everything together.

I think there are probably more intricate solutions out there, but this has been working for me so far.

I tossed the insert and sleeved everything, and it kinda works having a stack of cards running down both long sides of the box. Tokens/markers are all bagged by "flight" (I only own Devastation) and sit in the middle, kind of keeping everything together.

I think there are probably more intricate solutions out there, but this has been working for me so far.

Thanks for the tips, currently using a hodge podge of boxes right now to keep everything together, but setting up is a pain. Separating tokens and such by flight is a good idea, will keep it in mind. Thanks!

Mista Koo

Played 3 new games last Thursday:
  • A La Carte: Absolutely love the pieces in this game. Awesome dexterity mechanics as well.
  • Qwirkle: I wish I knew about this game years earlier. Great Scrabble alternative.
  • Race for the Galaxy: I like how neat the phase choosing mechanics is and the fact that you don't have to look at your opponents' cards. I have no idea how to the general strategy works though, so just like 7 Wonders it's a game I can enjoy but never win lol.
Can anyone suggest light short games to be played as a filler when everyone is too tired for a big game? We always go with either Pit (if we had a lot of players) or Spot It. We need more games!
Oh and we sometimes play Hanabi too, which is hilarious when some of us are too sleepy to think straight lol.

I bought vanilla just because I like the theme more. Only played it once so far, but I do plan on printing some of the character cards.
The problem is most of the people in my group played it a lot in the past so they are kinda bored of it. We had ten people a few times but no one wanted to play :(

I've played hundreds of games of Avalon. We played a shitton over the last summer. Merlin + Assassin + Percival + Morgana turned out to be the best combo. Most competitive games.
Do you use Lady of the Lake? And how does that exactly work? I need to add them all to vanilla.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom