• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The New Board Game Thread (Newcomer Friendly)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phthisis

Can anyone suggest light short games to be played as a filler when everyone is too tired for a big game? We always go with either Pit (if we had a lot of players) or Spot It. We need more games!.

Anything by Seiji Kenai is usually good. I personally prefer Chronicle, but Love Letter and Cheaty Mages are also both really simple and quick but a ton of fun.

I don't sleeve my legendary cards, they seem pretty good quality unlike Pathfinder which were getting damaged corners and edges after one play. Have played many games of legendary and the cards hold up great.

I do hope UD has the divider labels for last two expansions at gencon.

Mista Koo

Anything by Seiji Kenai is usually good. I personally prefer Chronicle, but Love Letter and Cheaty Mages are also both really simple and quick but a ton of fun.
We do have Love Letter in the group's collection, but for some reason no one ever played it since I joined.

parasight

Do you use Lady of the Lake? And how does that exactly work? I need to add them all to vanilla.

We tried her a few times. Adds an interesting dynamic but ultimately the game feels like less work with her implemented. Basically the person before the first leader starts the game with Lady and after the first mission they give the Lady to one other player. The chosen player must then reveal if they are Good or Bad to the person who gave them the Lady. The next round that person may pass it off the same way.

Got in a game of Power Grid for the first time tonight. Really cool game. It's the kind of game that makes you want to play it again right away due to the strategies you learn from the first bumbling time, which is always good. Really cool mechanics and seems balanced pretty well from what I can tell.

EYEL1NER

Marvel Legendary Paint the Town Red expansion has symbiote and scarlet spider hero decks. Awesome.
I saw this post and immediatly decided that I have to have the Legendary game, but then I realized that I might be making a mistake. Which Scarlet Spider is it? If it is "blue hoodie Ben Reilly Scarlet Spidey" then I have to buy it. If it is the recent Kaine Scarlet Spider-man, then I can save my money I guess.

Finally going to sleeve some cards for the first time I guess. I never thought I would need or want to, but two of the shift leads at work borrow Pandemic from me and play 3 or 4 games every night. One of them said that the corners on the cards were starting to get a bit scuffed up, so he bought two new replacement base decks from Z-Man and a couple hundred sleeves that someone on BGG was saying would allow the cards to still fit into the insert while sleeved. I guess I am not the one paying for them so that is cool, but I still never expected that any of my games would be sleeved.

I know how most people feel about Munchkin in BGG circles but I picked up the Munchkin; Pathfinder version ( my first Munchkin ) and had a blast playing it with my more casual group.

Munchkin is just fine as an occasional break it out game, my Magic group plays it occasionally. But then we go back to playing Magic :p

Yeah it's perfect for my casual gaming friends every now and then. A page or so back we were talking about that Marvel dice masters game, I just read that there will be a DC dice masters game that plays the same and can be used with Marvel?

Oh god the nerd in me is envisioning DC vs. Marvel games.

Yeah it's perfect for my casual gaming friends every now and then. A page or so back we were talking about that Marvel dice masters game, I just read that there will be a DC dice masters game that plays the same and can be used with Marvel?

Oh god the nerd in me is envisioning DC vs. Marvel games.

There's always heroclix for that...

Thanks for the tips, currently using a hodge podge of boxes right now to keep everything together, but setting up is a pain. Separating tokens and such by flight is a good idea, will keep it in mind. Thanks!

The insert is a must to go, but to solve the storage solution, I used bags instead. Picked up a set of 50 4x3 bags (I think?) and that really did the trick. Each bag has their own character kit, with all related tokens and extra cards and sleeve. Makes taking a few characters to play at work on lunch a breeze, without having to take the whole box.

Organized each in a bigger bag to separate the Flights, with other smaller bags for environment tokens/cards/bosses.

Makes it easy for a person to find their character, pull out the one bag, and have themselves all set to go really fast.

I saw this post and immediatly decided that I have to have the Legendary game, but then I realized that I might be making a mistake. Which Scarlet Spider is it? If it is "blue hoodie Ben Reilly Scarlet Spidey" then I have to buy it. If it is the recent Kaine Scarlet Spider-man, then I can save my money I guess.

Finally going to sleeve some cards for the first time I guess. I never thought I would need or want to, but two of the shift leads at work borrow Pandemic from me and play 3 or 4 games every night. One of them said that the corners on the cards were starting to get a bit scuffed up, so he bought two new replacement base decks from Z-Man and a couple hundred sleeves that someone on BGG was saying would allow the cards to still fit into the insert while sleeved. I guess I am not the one paying for them so that is cool, but I still never expected that any of my games would be sleeved.

Its not the good one, so its complete fucking bullshit, haha.

Yeah but I'm not a fan of heroclix.

You ever play the VS System? It's an older CCG format from Upper Deck that they squandered away but I always thought the game itself was great. Very thematic superhero battles and it felt like a less restrictive version of Magic They had the Marvel and DC licenses, and even released a Hellboy side expansion thingy. They had a solid run of expansions and eventually you could do super weird things like teaming up the Spider-Friends with the League of Assassins. You could probably get whole booster boxes on the cheap these days.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Finally got to play Caverna. Obviously very similar to Agricola, but the family feeding situation has relaxed to the point where you can easily "deal with it" versus the "OMG they are all gonna diiiiiiie" feeling of OG 'gric. Lots o'bits, that price tag is well earned. The theme is superficial, I never felt particularly "dwarvish", and the questing element is VERY light, but as a more casual agricola experience it works well.

On a side note, picked up an 80s era game called "Hammer of Thor" which advertises a player count of 1 to 362, so maybe I can get an entire con to play it someday :p Damn, there were some wacky ass game designs back in the day!

Dreavus

The insert is a must to go, but to solve the storage solution, I used bags instead. Picked up a set of 50 4x3 bags (I think?) and that really did the trick. Each bag has their own character kit, with all related tokens and extra cards and sleeve. Makes taking a few characters to play at work on lunch a breeze, without having to take the whole box.

Organized each in a bigger bag to separate the Flights, with other smaller bags for environment tokens/cards/bosses.

Makes it easy for a person to find their character, pull out the one bag, and have themselves all set to go really fast.

I like it! This is probably the ideal way to go if you can get your hands on those bags.

Karkador

Banned
Finally got to play Caverna. Obviously very similar to Agricola, but the family feeding situation has relaxed to the point where you can easily "deal with it" versus the "OMG they are all gonna diiiiiiie" feeling of OG 'gric. Lots o'bits, that price tag is well earned. The theme is superficial, I never felt particularly "dwarvish", and the questing element is VERY light, but as a more casual agricola experience it works well

I have trouble equating "way more things on the table" with "a more casual Agricola".

You ever play the VS System? It's an older CCG format from Upper Deck that they squandered away but I always thought the game itself was great. Very thematic superhero battles and it felt like a less restrictive version of Magic They had the Marvel and DC licenses, and even released a Hellboy side expansion thingy. They had a solid run of expansions and eventually you could do super weird things like teaming up the Spider-Friends with the League of Assassins. You could probably get whole booster boxes on the cheap these days.

I haven't but it sounds cool. I will have to check it out.

I have really liked the LCG format for Netrunner, StarWars and LOTR and probably prefer that but I still play magic and spend lots of $$$ on it lol so the collectible nature of Marvel Dice Masters isn't that off putting for me. At 99 cents a pack for 2 characters with dice I think it's pretty reasonable. Plus it's cheap enough to grab a couple new packs every trip to the flgs.

I know it's basically quarriors but me and my buddy love competitive games like that so it's going to be fun to trade and collect.

hoverX

Need some card game recommendations. Maybe you guys can help? I want to play something with my wife. So it has to be 2p. I want it to be themed, sci-fi or fantasy or something with zombies if possible (she loves zombies). The rules can't be overly complex or she will lose interest. Netrunner is far too complex.

Any suggestions?

Need some card game recommendations. Maybe you guys can help? I want to play something with my wife. So it has to be 2p. I want it to be themed, sci-fi or fantasy or something with zombies if possible (she loves zombies). The rules can't be overly complex or she will lose interest. Netrunner is far too complex.

Any suggestions?

Race for the Galaxy is all that comes to mind but that might be just slightly too complex.

Any suggestions?

I know this isn't exactly what you are looking for but Love Letter is a card game that can be played by two players. Its super cheap and really easy to play. Me and the wife play all the time. On the couch, waiting for a table someplace...wherever we can find a table. it fits in a purse or pocket too.

check it out.

Any suggestions?
Eminent Domain is pretty easy to get into. Each player is trying to colonize (or take over) planets. The game uses a deck building/role selection combo. There are only a handful of cards to remember and the game is really straight forward. Plays great with two and can be played with up to four.

Race for the Galaxy is good too but the learning curve might be too much, thanks to the iconography on the cards. Once you get it though it's a pretty simple game that plays fast and is great with two players.

Any suggestions?

I think Love Letter is a great recommendation.

Eminent Domain is probably a pretty good one too. I havent played it in a while, but its a lot more simple than something like Netrunner or Race for the Galaxy.

EYEL1NER

Its recent Kane Scarlet Spider
Its not the good one, so its complete fucking bullshit, haha.
So it is Kaine? Gross...
Thanks for letting me know though.

I didn't think I wanted to get into either the DC or Marvel card games, but I work with a lot of super-hero enthusiasts and I figured if I bought them I would have people to play with for sure. All indications I have seen point to the Marvel game being better, but I was considering the DC game after seeing how cheap that Groupon for it was. Ben Reilly Scarlet Spider would have pushed me towards buying Legendary, but now I am thinking that when I get back up here from vacation, I will just buy Sentinels of the Multiverse. I find that I don't care for the amateur artwork in SotM, but it is supposed to be a pretty sound game. So in 7 weeks I'll be playing that I guess.

Any suggestions?
I always say Jambo or the newer version Asante if you can find it.
Not fantasy or scifi themed but traders in Africa. Really well designed for 2 players.

ultron87

Got to play two rounds of three player Quantum yesterday.

yG7g0yF.jpg

It was pretty good. It is a nice in that it is really easy to explain in five minutes, but has plenty of complex chains of actions you can do. When you get to use your entire fleet's set of special manuevers in sequence to pull off an important tactical repositioning, take out a bunch of enemy ship, or swoop in to drop an unexpected cube it feels really great. This grand moves being possible actually made the game play way faster than I had initially expected. We got two fairly back and forth games in about two hours. Playing with three players never seemed to devolve into the leader vs the other two, as happens sometimes. The victory condition of placing 5 cubes can be reached extremely quickly, so you kind of need to keep the pressure on both your opponents at all times so you can disrupt their plans while also trying to get some cubes down for yourself. Playing on the smaller board layouts also help with this.

There is a bunch of stuff in the game that just makes it feel really smart. The base mechanic of each ship being a dice where the number is how far it can move and also its attack power (with lower numbers being better) is genius. It lets you quickly look at the entire board and assess the whole situation without having to remember the values for different ship miniatures or anything like that. And the dice are big and beautiful and just feel great to roll.

I didn't mind that you roll dice quite a bit, since the bigger ships still win the majority of encounters so effective maneuvering is still gonna get you significantly better results.

I don't think it fills a 4x space game hole in a collection though, since it is extremely abstract. If you want that feeling of moving epic fleets around a board and building a massive empire you're still gonna need something like Eclipse or Twilight Imperium. But it is a fun game with plenty of decisions that can be done in 45 minutes.

Got to play two rounds of three player Quantum yesterday.

yG7g0yF.jpg

It was pretty good. It is a nice in that it is really easy to explain in five minutes, but has plenty of complex chains of actions you can do. When you get to use your entire fleet's set of special manuevers in sequence to pull off an important tactical repositioning, take out a bunch of enemy ship, or swoop in to drop an unexpected cube it feels really great. This grand moves being possible actually made the game play way faster than I had initially expected. We got two fairly back and forth games in about two hours. Playing with three players never seemed to devolve into the leader vs the other two, as happens sometimes. The victory condition of placing 5 cubes can be reached extremely quickly, so you kind of need to keep the pressure on both your opponents at all times so you can disrupt their plans while also trying to get some cubes down for yourself. Playing on the smaller board layouts also help with this.

There is a bunch of stuff in the game that just makes it feel really smart. The base mechanic of each ship being a dice where the number is how far it can move and also its attack power (with lower numbers being better) is genius. It lets you quickly look at the entire board and assess the whole situation without having to remember the values for different ship miniatures or anything like that. And the dice are big and beautiful and just feel great to roll.

I didn't mind that you roll dice quite a bit, since the bigger ships still win the majority of encounters so effective maneuvering is still gonna get you significantly better results.

I don't think it fills a 4x space game hole in a collection though, since it is extremely abstract. If you want that feeling of moving epic fleets around a board and building a massive empire you're still gonna need something like Eclipse or Twilight Imperium. But it is a fun game with plenty of decisions that can be done in 45 minutes.

Oh man! thank you for the update!

Any suggestions?

Zombie Fluxx? I haven't played it and only have played the original on ios, but this may fit your criteria. I can't speak to its quality, but it is pretty casual, not too complex, and fairly inexpensive.

Check some reviews and see if it's for you.

Draxal

Any suggestions?

Summoner Wars, you can try the iOS app to see if she likes it.

Cat Party

Any suggestions?

Have you considered Dominion? Another possibility is Gloom.

Got my shipping confirmation for Myth today! Can't wait for Wednesday
I'm jealous. I've got to wait till they start international shipping for them to send it to Canada, but that should only be in April. So many minis!

I think they wised up with their Recon Kickstarter and have shipping cost a bit more -- that's also a reason I'm hesitant with a lot of Kickstarters. Their Myth shipping was a killer deal, especially for us international buyers.

ultron87

I believe there are some significant flavor problems with that alignment wheel.

The game layout looks like it could be interesting. Combat lanes with different values and effects could be cool.

I really enjoy watching games played on boardgamegeektv. Only discovered it over the weekend. Really wanting to get One Night Ultimate Werewolf now and definitely would be interested in Suburbia.

Palmer_v1

I really enjoy watching games played on boardgamegeektv. Only discovered it over the weekend. Really wanting to get One Night Ultimate Werewolf now and definitely would be interested in Suburbia.

Link for One Night UW video? I was asking about it recently but nobody responded.

There's just something nice and homey about the gamenight people. I'd love to have Lincoln in my game group. Dave on the other hand.....

I don't think they do great at showing a comprehensive look at games, as they flub the rules quite often or miss something big, my favorite thing to do is watch their reactions to games i already know and love.

There's just something nice and homey about the gamenight people. I'd love to have Lincoln in my game group. Dave on the other hand.....

I don't think they do great at showing a comprehensive look at games, as they flub the rules quite often or miss something big, my favorite thing to do is watch their reactions to games i already know and love.

Yeah, Lincoln has a real Garth vibe and it's really nice to watch him enjoying mechanics of a game.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Had a great gaming weekend. Started off with Catan followed by games of Zombicide, Suburbia, Risk, Eclipse and Formula D. Good times.

Think I have found the sweet spot with my zombie spawn and equipment decks. Also I didn't realized I had more characters from the Kickstarter coming.

Eclipse is great, but sometimes it really feels like you are playing on your own. Find it easy to not be aggressive because the rounds go by so fast.

Blizzard

Banned
I just got a Kickstarter email -- the Inceptor rulebook is up.

I need to read it and see if I get any immediate questions, since I tend to have really nitpicky rulebook problems, and maybe this time I can actually have an impact on the final rules. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom