• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

You know, you really don't think too much about the screen resolution, other than it being a big number until you actually see it, then it's like, holy fuck, why don't more companies do this?!

LCfiner

I really do not think it is a niche market. The entire art industry heavily skews towards using Apple desktops and laptops. There is a huge market for them to release what is basically a portable cintiq that isn't clunky like existing windows transformable tablets. Pretty much every artist I know and work with would buy it at the drop of a hat. They even went ahead today and demonstrated the new autodesk lineart app to this very market, which is baffling because that app is so very useless without a pressure sensitive pen.

I also really do not believe it would confuse anyone at all. They barely have to mention it at all. Just say in your keynote "Oh and we now have an artists package available with a digitzer pen that works with all your favourite art apps available exclusively on the online store." It doesn't have to appear at all in any of their regular stores, just make it online order only.

The thing is, an option like you suggest can’t just be tossed aside at the end of the keynote. Adding it in is a fundamental shift in what they believe the ipad is.

Building that stuff in and writing the software for it requires lots of work and offering it makes Apple look tentative with their idea of who the ipad should be used. you may not agree with this, but that’s how Apple is going to think abut every idea for modifying the ipad. they have a very clear narrative of the ipad as something simple “for everyone"

I mean, shit, how many times did Randy say “with just my finger” when demoing iPhoto today? a dozen times? two dozen? that’s what they’re pushing.

anyway, I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree. I’m not gonna harp on this anymore cuz then I just sound like a jackass.

Truly amazing;

I mean, it's just beautifully sharp.

2012-03-07_12-31-00-1024_gallery_post.jpg
it's like reading a magazine. fuck.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The thing is, an option like you suggest can’t just be tossed aside at the end of the keynote. Adding it in is a fundamental shift in what they believe the ipad is.

Building that stuff in and writing the software for it requires lots of work and offering it makes Apple look tentative with their idea of who the ipad should be used. you may not agree with this, but that’s how Apple is going to think abut every idea for modifying the ipad. they have a very clear narrative of the ipad as something simple “for everyone"

I mean, shit, how many times did Randy say “with just my finger” when demoing iPhoto today? a dozen times? two dozen? that’s what they’re pushing.

anyway, I think we’ll just have to agree to disagree. I’m not gonna harp on this anymore cuz then I just sound like a jackass.

No no, you don't sound like a jackass at all. I get what your saying completely. It's just the conflict between what's best for Apple and what's best for consumers. I just think with the vast amount of money they're making, they could give in a little.

Utako

Banned
A lot of people were on the fence when the iPad 1 came out and didn't jump because they weren't sure of it. By the time the iPad 2 came out, the iPad had proved itself so all the folks that waited to see how the original would fare jumped right on the iPad2. I am not saying the new iPad won't sell great but I don't think we will see lines wrapped around city blocks months after release.
You can buy these shits everywhere now, that's why.

iPad proved that it isn't a fad - that it's different from using either an iPod or a netbook, and superior to both for many tasks.

Layer that on top of the fact that there are no viable alternatives, and BAM! It's going to be stupid.

Zeth

Oh wow, didn't realize we had this thread now.

Only email I got is "Thank You For Your Order". Am I ok?

edit: says "processing" on the site

jts

...hate me...
You know, you really don't think too much about the screen resolution, other than it being a big number until you actually see it, then it's like, holy fuck, why don't more companies do this?!
Not many companies have the bazillions in cash that Apple has, or can assure huge demand for certain parts like Apple can.

I remember reading an interview with Tim Cook a couple of years ago, still COO of course, he was talking about how Apple invests its money. He was saying that sometime ago they invested billions in guaranteeing flash memory supplies. Their demand really constrained the whole industry back then.
He added that they were, at the time, investing in another key area which he couldn't reveal but it was crucial to the next years.

It's crystal clear now that he was talking about displays.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
The default video app requires mp4 video, but there are apps like VLC tha support drag and drop of most file formats and container types.
I've had good experience with BuzzPlayer HD too - nice for local playback and streaming from my network drive. Can be slightly buggy at times but it was pretty cheap, from memory.

noah111

Still Alive
it's like reading a magazine. fuck.
I remember the first time I saw the iPhone 4 in person, it felt like nothing existed but the screen. I really can't wait to see this in person.

Even if the pixel density is not on the same exact PPI level as the i4, I think the fact that this increased pixel count envelops a giant screen makes it all more popping that something like i4's retina.

Some more great shots from the verge;

IMG_1193_gallery_post.jpg

new_ipad10_gallery_post.jpg

new_ipad9_gallery_post.jpg

Gat damn.

mrkgoo

I just realised, iOS 5.1 comes with a bunch of new backgrounds. I can pretend I have an iPad 3!

:D

:|

:_(

In other news, all these Retina updates for apps has made me lose 600 MB. Garageband takes up another 300 or so more!

noah111

Still Alive
I really want to see magazines support retina, it will look amazing
This gets me thinking, actually... just how preferred could e-ink remain to the masses if they were to see what an iPad retina display looks like?

I know they're two different things, but it'll be interesting to see how big of a part that technology continues to contribute, or if it'll just die out eventually.

Dem file sizes
Not necessarily, if they're smart about it with utilizing different methods.

I remember the first time I saw the iPhone 4 in person, it felt like nothing existed but the screen. I really can't wait to see this in person.

Even if the pixel density is not on the same exact PPI level as the i4, I think the fact that this increased pixel count envelops a giant screen makes it all more popping that something like i4's retina.

Gat damn.

*low whistle*

so you guys who had iPad 2's: what did you think of the smart covers? Is it pretty stable when stood on soft surfaces (like beds)?

tokkun

Aren't these super zoomed-in comparisons more than a little misleading about the level of improvement you will see? I mean, unless you hold the screen half an inch from your face as a matter of course. I'm going to wait until I can actually see one in person to judge.

new_ipad9_gallery_post.jpg

Gat damn.

unless devs are quick to update to retina display these icons are going to be the only thing taking advantage of the screen

*low whistle*

so you guys who had iPad 2's: what did you think of the smart covers? Is it pretty stable when stood on soft surfaces (like beds)?
Eh, I had hit or miss effectiveness, especially on a bed. As a result, the wife props it up against me, much to my dismay. Other than that, I have never used it, save for travel (just an extra buffer against keys and such).

Not many companies have the bazillions in cash that Apple has, or can assure huge demand for certain parts like Apple can.

I remember reading an interview with Tim Cook a couple of years ago, still COO of course, he was talking about how Apple invests its money. He was saying that sometime ago they invested billions in guaranteeing flash memory supplies. Their demand really constrained the whole industry back then.
He added that they were, at the time, investing in another key area which he couldn't reveal but it was crucial to the next years.

It's crystal clear now that he was talking about displays.

I know. It still blows my mind. Such a simple thing you really don't give much thought to until you see it in person.

I'm really hoping this will help push the industry forward towards more awesome screens.

I got the black iPad because it tends to give me a better contrast to what I am looking at thana white one would especially reading a book.

Also does anyone have a really good reason why I should get a 4G version if I already have an iPhone for GPS

MercuryLS

Banned
The only thing that worries me is that A5X isn't going to drive that display that well, I just hope that it doesn't become laggy ass over time (like when we upgrade to iOS 6). I understand why Apple couldn't put in an A6 (cost issues considering retina and other upgrades, battery considerations)...but it does worry me. Especially after seeing some hands-on, like iPhoto, the photo's take a second to load up, it's not instantaneous.

Edit: I bought a 16gig wifi for my parents...I really want to go all out and get 64gb+4g, but man, after taxes that shit is expensive!

mrkgoo

unless devs are quick to update to retina display these icons are going to be the only thing taking advantage of the screen

Nope.

All apps can make use of better rendered right? I assume like when iPhone 4 came out.

The only thing that worries me is that A5X isn't going to drive that display that well, I just hope that it doesn't become laggy ass over time (like when we upgrade to iOS 6). I understand why Apple couldn't put in an A6 (cost issues considering retina and other upgrades, battery considerations)...but it does worry me. Especially after seeing some hands-on, like iPhoto, the photo's take a second to load up, it's not instantaneous.

Assuming iOS6 is coming out this year (no reason not to), I think it would also be safe to assume that the iPad 3 would have been designed with the new OS in mind. It's not like when iOS4 was being developed, where the iPad was pretty much a secret project.

noah111

Still Alive
I want impressions on this, too. Oh and how does the iPad side not get scratched up from the aluminum/magnet clipping scraping when you put it on and off?

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I really do not think it is a niche market. The entire art industry heavily skews towards using Apple desktops and laptops. There is a huge market for them to release what is basically a portable cintiq that isn't clunky like existing windows transformable tablets. Pretty much every artist I know and work with would buy it at the drop of a hat. They even went ahead today and demonstrated the new autodesk lineart app to this very market, which is baffling because that app is so very useless without a pressure sensitive pen.

I also really do not believe it would confuse anyone at all. They barely have to mention it at all. Just say in your keynote "Oh and we now have an artists package available with a digitzer pen that works with all your favourite art apps available exclusively on the online store." It doesn't have to appear at all in any of their regular stores, just make it online order only.
That'd be awesome, but knowing Apple will never do it makes me wonder why another company doesn't do it and market the hell out of it. I know there are digitizer-enabled tablets out, but they're hardly well known. The digitizer aspect is usually thrown in as a 'note taking' thing rather than an artistic angle. I'm having to make do with my shitty old Fujitsu lifebook i got on ebay for $250 :p

You think it'll come out next year? (not joking)

the 4th gen iPad? Of course. Yearly cycle, bro.

Or do you mean it will be a thinner and lighter? Certainly. They've crammed their huge battery and screen tech in this year...next year is when they continue to bring power and shrink components and battery size in order to create a thinner and lighter device. They are on that roadmap now.

Edit: I bought a 16gig wifi for my parents...I really want to go all out and get 64gb+4g, but man, after taxes that shit is expensive!

Loading up is handled more by memory than processor

Recon

Banned
Question here, is the display laminated to the glass like the 4/s? I was reading tech sites but never mentioned this.

mrkgoo

it scales, but non retina apps are nigh and day difference between retina updated apps, just like on the iPhone

I realise this. But you're saying that the icons are the only thing that can make use of the screen without apps being updated. I disagreed. Text, and I assume some pictures that scale to the resolution (as opposed to the screen size - not sure how many apps would do that) would still look great. For example, your photos and Safari would both be improved (obviously the apps are updated, but even if they weren't, the content would scale automatically, I would think).

You can buy these shits everywhere now, that's why.

iPad proved that it isn't a fad - that it's different from using either an iPod or a netbook, and superior to both for many tasks.

Layer that on top of the fact that there are no viable alternatives, and BAM! It's going to be stupid.

I'm not talking about the iPad in general. When iPad 2 launched we saw lines wrapped around city blocks for months after release and you couldn't even touch a pre-order for weeks after it came out. It was massively sold out everywhere.

I'm saying that we will not see this same thing with the iPad announced today. Sure it will sell and it will sell amazingly but it won't be as big as a deal to get as the iPad 2 was. That shit was obnoxious. My prediction is that at the end of the day when the iPad 4 is announced that the iPad 3 doesn't outsell the iPad 2.

Bebpo

Banned
If you have an iPhone and a 3G data plan, can you use that with the iPad?

If I buy this it will be my first iPad. Need to figure out if I should get the wifi or 4G one. Also will 16gig be enough space if I don't put any music/movies on it and just use it for internet/netflix streaming/iOS games/apps (just a few at a time)? I have a 16gig iPhone4 and I don't even use more than 3-4gigs of it not counting music.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
That'd be awesome, but knowing Apple will never do it makes me wonder why another company doesn't do it and market the hell out of it. I know there are digitizer-enabled tablets out, but they're hardly well known. The digitizer aspect is usually thrown in as a 'note taking' thing rather than an artistic angle. I'm having to make do with my shitty old Fujitsu lifebook i got on ebay for $250 :p

I wanted to make a thread about this "portable cintiq" subject today, but I'm not sure how many people on gaf would be interested in such a thing.

Mr_eX

Oh wow, didn't realize we had this thread now.

Only email I got is "Thank You For Your Order". Am I ok?

edit: says "processing" on the site

Says processing for me too but it also says "Delivers on March 16 via Standard Shipping"

personally, I was thinking I'd have to buy some sort of skin if I keep the smart cover...like something from here:

http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade...er=most_relevant&ship_to=US&view_type=gallery
nah, it won't get scratched from using the cover, IME... but to be honest, the whole 'propping it up to watch a movie/etc' aspect of the smart cover is something I have used... once? I'd rather just laze about with it in my lap or propped up with a pillow. The screen is pretty much indestructible as far as I'm concerned, as my son has knocked it off the coffee table, open-palm smacked it, and drug it along the floor more times than I care to recall >_<

The smart covers fold all the way back, right? As in, can I put it flat on a table with the cover naturally/easily folded on its back, flat?
Yes.

noah111

Still Alive
personally, I was thinking I'd have to buy some sort of skin if I keep the smart cover...like something from here:

http://www.etsy.com/search/handmade...er=most_relevant&ship_to=US&view_type=gallery
Hmm, I was considering putting on a laminated type of clear 'skin' on the back, but then I wouldn't get to feel that aluminum metal in my hands. :(

The smart covers fold all the way back, right? As in, can I put it flat on a table with the cover naturally/easily folded on its back, flat?

mrkgoo

what is the advantage of a White iPad or a Black iPad and vice versa?

If you like the white iPad, then the black iPad would have the disadvantage of being black, and thus something you don't like.

And vice versa.

To be honest, there really aren't. Some people like the black better because it's less distracting from the content, especially if your movies, for example, have black borders. People also think fingerprints are more visible on the black, but I'd say neither matter once you have content you're looking at.

Personally, I don't mind in either case, so it's a totally aesthetic decision.

noah111

Still Alive
If I put my white iPad 64 gb 3G up for sale on ebay for $750 (I think thats $100 off what I paid) it will sell pretty quick?
Why are you doing this just now? And i'd imagine ebay users are more savvy than craigslist users, so they might already know about the iPad 3... either way i'd put it on craigslist instead.

Black looks better because of the small stroke around the glass. Blends into the screen better.

Hipsters like white though. =P

A lot of people bought white iPad2's just to show everyone that it was the second version and new version. I've seen both and had to decide and I picked black and glad I did. It seems to frame the screen better.

If I put my white iPad 64 gb 3G up for sale on ebay for $750 (I think thats $100 off what I paid) it will sell pretty quick?

The time to sell was 2 weeks ago. You had to know this was coming...

Top Bottom