• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

MercuryLS

Banned
The screen isn't fused to the glass like the iPhone, is it? That made a major impact on me. At least as much as the pixel count.

None of the hands-on have mentioned if they used optical lamination. Fucking useless tech reporters, this is important!

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I keep telling myself they need to really shake things up before I would consider upgrading but I don't even know what they would do. It's just a...flat slab. What can they do with it? I don't even know.

But I just use mine to poop so I guess I'm satisfied.

esquire

Has waited diligently to think of something to say before making this post
Have there been discussions on Tim Cook's keynote performance? I thought he was fantastic. He was flat during the iPhone 4S reveal (for obvious reasons), but I thought he looked very comfortable out there.

Yeah, he did great. It was noteworthy to me when he said, "it just works." Great job from the team all around.

kehs

Banned
Nvidia will put Apple's A5X claims to the test, says it's 'pleased' by Tegra 3 comparison

Remember a few hours ago, when Apple claimed its new A5X chip had four times the graphical prowess of Nvidia's Tegra 3? As you might imagine, Nvidia doesn't intend to simply let that be. The graphics firm told ZDNet that without specific benchmarks to back up that claim, "Apple has a very generic statement" right now, but that Nvidia would certainly be purchasing a third-generation iPad on March 16th to test those claims for itself. Citations or no, if the new iPad does indeed have twice the graphical potential of the iPad 2, the "4x" quote might not be too far off in certain applications: AnandTech ran the Tegra 3-powered Transformer Prime against the iPad 2 in a run of GLBenchmark, and found a few performance differences.

We also reached out to Nvidia briefly, which provided this rather amusing statement: "It's nice to hear Apple compare themselves to Tegra 3. It truly underscores the importance of graphics, which is what we've been saying all along."​

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/7/2853089/nvidia-apple-a5x-test

Mmm, that's a cute iPad.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
None of the hands-on have mentioned if they used optical lamination. Fucking useless tech reporters, this is important!

I doubt it. The tech sites would have already mentioned it. What a shame. The glass fusing would have been killer.

retina ipad am disappoint

noah111

Still Alive
I keep telling myself they need to really shake things up before I would consider upgrading but I don't even know what they would do. It's just a...flat slab. What can they do with it? I don't even know.

If you're talking from a design standpoint, I think the one thing they could do (if even possible) is eventually decrease the bezel size, thus making the iPad as a whole a lot smaller but retaining the 9.7" screen.

But I don't think that'd be possible while staying just as thin, tbh... OH and a touch enabled home button. Swipe left and right across it to switch between running apps, etc.

What more could they do it in the next iteration? Obviously larger hard drives, stereo, haptic feedback, faster CPU/GPU, more RAM..sure, but would those gain similar level of attention and success at retail as the previous iPads? It'll get to a point where sales slow down significantly because it'll never replace a notebook/PC

LCfiner

I doubt it. The tech sites would have already mentioned it. What a shame. The glass fusing would have been killer.

retina ipad am disappoint

yeah, it was a bit of a bummer seeing no mention of getting the LCD closer to the glass. that effect is great on the iPhone.

there was one thing mentioned in the Apple iPad video where they moved parts of the pixels above the wiring so they’re very slightly raised higher than the older pixel elements.

But I doubt that difference will be noticeable to our eyes. The difference is probably just way too small.

Tobor

What more could they do it in the next iteration? Obviously larger hard drives, stereo, haptic feedback, faster CPU/GPU, more RAM..sure, but would those gain similar level of attention and success at retail as the previous iPads? It'll get to a point where sales slow down significantly because it'll never replace a notebook/PC

You've got that backwards. The sales of notebook will slow down significantly over time.

I am really thinking of cancelling my order for 16 gb wifi and get the 16 gb wifi/3g. What should I do? I will be using this at home and everywhere I go like office, friends and family homes. I have a few trips planned here and there

LCfiner

no, what’s happening is that people are realizing they prefer the ipad to a notebook for lots of use cases. iPad sales will keep going up as its capabilities increase and notebook sales will go down, as they are no longer the obvious choice for mobile computing.

it is already replacing notebooks for some people. it will only escalate from here.

Az

I am really thinking of cancelling my order for 16 gb wifi and get the 16 gb wifi/3g. What should I do? I will be using this at home and everywhere I go like office, friends and family homes. I have a few trips planned here and there

All those places you listed should have wifi. Even on trips most hotels/aiports have free wifi. So all really depends if you have no problem spending the extra cash

I kept tabs on the gaf thread earlier while at work, the new ipad sounds really good for keeping it's current price.

I will buy one but not until next month, let the ques drop a bit and another lot of pay money to enter my bank :p

noah111

Still Alive
Truly amazing;

2012-03-07_12-02-09-1024_gallery_post.jpg
2012-03-07_12-04-29-1024_gallery_post.jpg

I mean, it's just beautifully sharp.

2012-03-07_12-31-00-1024_gallery_post.jpg

Terrible name.

I already have an iPhone, so I'll get an iPad whenever they decide to give it buttons for gaming.

Are you a real live person? I'm serious. Are you real? Cause I can't imagine a real, sane person actually typing that. Yeah, just wait for the iPad 4. I'm they'll throw in a bunch of buttons and a couple analog stick on that one- you know- cause it make so much sense and all. Do you think ANY iPad in the future will? Do you think ANY TABLET will? What percentage of iPad owner do you think WANT those things? The hadrcorz gamerz demographic? I sure as hell don't. And what the hell does owning an iPhone have to do with anything? Incredible.

Next up- I'll buy a PS Vita when it has a 10" screen.

Oxn

ive never owned an Apple product so can someone answer something for me?

For video files, can i just drag and drop or do i have to use itunes or convert the file?

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia

They could add an official wacom digitizer! NFC, maybe some fancy iPhone+iPad connection, a really fancy keyboard dock accessory that makes it function like a macbook pro + extends the battery. Creativity would be nice, spec bump seems so anticlimactic.

I'm fully entrenched in the Android ecosystem, but I always appreciate innovation.

LCfiner

another example from a more realistic readable distance. the aliasing on the text on the old ipad is clearly visible. new one looks awesome, of course.

old

do6cE.jpg

New

N6UAZ.jpg

LogicStep

Sorry if it has been said already but, does 4G come with a monthly cap from the networks or is it unlimited? In the states.

noah111

Still Alive
Tasks that i'd now rather do on my iPad than notebook/PC;

-Music
-Reading
-News
-FB/Twitter
-Photo editing and tuning
-Light internet browsing
-Occasional movie/video watching

Things i'd like to do but don't;

-Heavy typing (though I could just use a bluetooth keyboard..)
-Heavy tabbed internet browsing/researching
-Heavy YT watching with multiple tabs
-Gaming?

Really, the iPad is slowly but surely replacing everything.

It's a shame the new iPad doesn't have a real mahogany back. Total disappointment.
You craze man.

I kept tabs on the gaf thread earlier while at work, the new ipad sounds really good for keeping it's current price.
Yeah, really glad that rumor turned out to be bullshit.

It will sell faster than the iPad 2. Book it.

A lot of people were on the fence when the iPad 1 came out and didn't jump because they weren't sure of it. By the time the iPad 2 came out, the iPad had proved itself so all the folks that waited to see how the original would fare jumped right on the iPad2. I am not saying the new iPad won't sell great but I don't think we will see lines wrapped around city blocks months after release.

LCfiner

They could add an official wacom digitizer! NFC, maybe some fancy iPhone+iPad connection, a really fancy keyboard dock accessory that makes it function like a macbook pro + extends the battery. Creativity would be nice, spec bump seems so anticlimactic.

I'm fully entrenched in the Android ecosystem, but I always appreciate innovation.

innovation that creates complexity isn’t a win. some of the things you mention would be nice but they can be handled in software or by third parties.

wacom isn’t happening. it’s against the whole concept of the ipad being simple and intuitive with no extra hardware between you and the screen.

NFC will happen eventually.

iPhone and iPad connectivity exists already to some extent with iCloud pushing data between devices. they can do more here but iOS updates (and maybe NFC) will be a part of it.

I think they’re done with keyboard docks. there’s wireless BT keyboards and cases with built in keyboards.

they will never do anything to make it work like a macbook pro. that just makes things more complicated and it’s not why the ipad is popular.

the ipad hardware is always going to remain simple. it’s designed to get out of the way. it’s the future iOS updates and the new apps (that iPhoto demo was awesome) that will showcase creativity.

Now that we got that retina screen, I can just get excited for iOS reveals in the summer and just nod along with the hardware improvements.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
innovation that creates complexity isn’t a win. some of the things you mention would be nice but they can be handled in software or by third parties.

wacom isn’t happening. it’s against the whole concept of the ipad being simple and intuitive with no extra hardware between you and the screen.

NFC will happen eventually.

iPhone and iPad connectivity exists already to some extent with iCloud pushing data between devices. they can do more here but iOS updates (and maybe NFC) will be a part of it.

I think they’re done with keyboard docks. there’s wireless BT keyboards and cases with built in keyboards.

they will never do anything to make it work like a macbook pro. that just makes things more complicated and it’s not why the ipad is popular.

the ipad hardware is always going to remain simple. it’s designed to get out of the way. it’s the future iOS updates and the new apps (that iPhoto demo was awesome) that will showcase creativity.

Now that we got that retina screen, I can just get excited for iOS reveals in the summer and just nod along with the hardware improvements.

I guess we fundamentally want different things from consumer tech.

gkryhewy

I'd like to order from best buy since I have some gift cards. They have the info page up on bestbuy.com now. Anyone think they'll offer preorders, or is apple.com my only option?

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
I ordered one. Who wants my ASUS Transformer Prime with a lovely case for $400?

reality is that it's going to take some time for apps to actually take advantage of the retina display, just look how long it took devs to take advantage of retina display on the iPhone 4

LCfiner

I guess we fundamentally want different things from consumer tech.

yup. and that’s fine.

hell, I still have a huge iMac for a lot of browsing and video watching. And a PC for gaming.

But I love the iPad for being so simple and not trying to be a Mac-lite. it does exactly what I want it to do when I’m not at a desk.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport

Just give me a freaking pressure sensitive stylus! I came THIS close to buying this thing today, if it were not for the store being down. It gave me time to sit back and think about it and in the end, I'm not going to buy a tablet that I can't draw on.

LCfiner said:

Bullshit. If Apple wants this device to be used for productivity and content creation, it's going to need to give the basic tools necessary. It doesn't need to have it on all models, but an option would be nice. Much like how you can choose a different hard drive size, you should be able to choose an art package with some wacom or wacom knockoff tech.

Nvidia will put Apple's A5X claims to the test, says it's 'pleased' by Tegra 3 comparison

Remember a few hours ago, when Apple claimed its new A5X chip had four times the graphical prowess of Nvidia's Tegra 3? As you might imagine, Nvidia doesn't intend to simply let that be. The graphics firm told ZDNet that without specific benchmarks to back up that claim, "Apple has a very generic statement" right now, but that Nvidia would certainly be purchasing a third-generation iPad on March 16th to test those claims for itself. Citations or no, if the new iPad does indeed have twice the graphical potential of the iPad 2, the "4x" quote might not be too far off in certain applications: AnandTech ran the Tegra 3-powered Transformer Prime against the iPad 2 in a run of GLBenchmark, and found a few performance differences.

We also reached out to Nvidia briefly, which provided this rather amusing statement: "It's nice to hear Apple compare themselves to Tegra 3. It truly underscores the importance of graphics, which is what we've been saying all along."​

http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/7/2853089/nvidia-apple-a5x-test

ibuvI3usgoHsuO.gif

border

it’s the future iOS updates and the new apps (that iPhoto demo was awesome) that will showcase creativity.

That's a little worrisome to think that future products will be improved by software, given that Apple seems intent on using said software to drive hardware sales. It feels pretty corny that the iPad 2/3 and iPhone 4 can't have Siri.....just because they think they need Siri to sell the iPhone 4S.

Oxn

ive never owned an Apple product so can someone answer something for me?

For video files, can i just drag and drop or do i have to use itunes or convert the file?

someone please?

This will make or break it for me.

someone please?

This will make or break it for me.
This was brought up a few times; if you use something like AVPlayerHD (3 or so bux on the store) you can drag/drop without converting (done through the itunes program), just about any file you have. Supports subtitles as well. Good program.

LCfiner

Bullshit. If Apple wants this device to be used for productivity and content creation, it's going to need to give the basic tools necessary. It doesn't need to have it on all models, but an option would be nice. Much like how you can choose a different hard drive size, you should be able to choose an art package with some wacom or wacom knockoff tech.

They have tools for productivity and content creation. people are using them for this stuff this very second.

they just don’t have a pressure sensitive stylus as an input option. deal with it. it’s a niche audience that wants it and adding it wouldn’t make the product better for the vast majority of customers.

Adding an “art package” would basically require a whole different model and add complexity and confusion to satisfy a small number of people. Why is it worth it for Apple to add this when only a small fraction of potential consumers care and even fewer would be likely to pay for it?

Your needs are not common and not worthwhile for Apple to pursue. Beyond that, adding active stylus support send a very mixed message about the way you’re supposed to use the device and I bet Apple thinks that could actually hurt them.

That's a little worrisome to think that future products will be improved by software, given that Apple seems intent on using said software to drive hardware sales. It feels pretty corny that the iPad 2/3 and iPhone 4 can't have Siri.....just because they think they need Siri to sell the iPhone 4S.

I think you make a good point about Siri being hardware exclusive. I hope that doesn’t become common.

My point wasn’t that hardware wouldn’t continue to evolve. I’m sure the battery life will improve. and there’ll be improvements to weight, cameras, thickness, storage, speed. They can add some things like NFC, maybe even something like that haptic touch stuff. there’s always ways to make the hardware better year after year.

My point was that they’re not going to innovate on iPad hardware by making a dock that turns it into a macbook. Or make an ipad with a wacom digitizer built in and a stylus attachment. they’re not going to do something that makes the ipad way more complicated. The ipad hardware will always be simple and the interaction with it will always be simple.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
They have tools for productivity and content creation. people are using them for this stuff this very second.

they just don’t have a pressure sensitive stylus as an input option. deal with it. it’s a niche audience that wants it and adding it wouldn’t make the product better for the vast majority of customers.

Adding an “art package” would basically require a whole different model and add complexity and confusion to satisfy a small number of people. Why is it worth it for Apple to add this when only a small fraction of potential consumers care and even fewer would be likely to pay for it?

Your needs are not common and not worthwhile for Apple to pursue. Beyond that, adding active stylus support send a very mixed message about the way you’re supposed to use the device and I bet Apple thinks that could actually hurt them.

I really do not think it is a niche market. The entire art industry heavily skews towards using Apple desktops and laptops. There is a huge market for them to release what is basically a portable cintiq that isn't clunky like existing windows transformable tablets. Pretty much every artist I know and work with would buy it at the drop of a hat. They even went ahead today and demonstrated the new autodesk lineart app to this very market, which is baffling because that app is so very useless without a pressure sensitive pen.

I also really do not believe it would confuse anyone at all. They barely have to mention it at all. Just say in your keynote "Oh and we now have an artists package available with a digitzer pen that works with all your favourite art apps available exclusively on the online store." It doesn't have to appear at all in any of their regular stores, just make it online order only.

Majine

Banned
Damn, that screen. But I'm wondering if I really need that much higher resolution when most of the stuff I read (manga, books) on it isn't even optimal to the old screen.

Also, looking at the homescreen at my distance, I have a hard time discerning pixels already.

Top Bottom