• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

3N16MA

Banned
Anyone have any iPad dock recommendations? The Apple one? Or are there superior alternatives?

You can get something like this:

p2-stand.jpg

It's the elago p2 stand (not a dock) but as you can see it easily becomes one. It's made from aluminum and is $30.

Sorry for a potentially silly question, but has the iPad reached a point where it can be a full on laptop replacement? And if not, why?

Rengoku

I went ahead and ordered one of these, they say its for ipad 2, but I figured because it's leather, it should be flexible enough to fit a slightly thicker ipad 3. Apart from the thickness, the only other difference is that the ipad 3 has a slightly larger camera lens. The camera hole cutout seems big enough to accomodate the new camera too I think.

So far, it seems quite popular on some forums and had a few glowing reviews on youtube.

Yoobao Executive Leather Case Version 3

So pumped. Have my 64GB 4G iPad and Apple TV on pre-order. Next week is going to be awesome.

I had to go to 64GB, my 32 3G iPad 2 only had 4 gigs left. Games, Comic Zeal, about 100 other apps, Magazines and photos destroyed my storage space.

Photos should also be taking up more room since when the iPad optimizes them it changes the resolution, now that it has a much greater resolution the photos should be larger. One would assume anyway. I had about 2Gigs of photos and videos alone.

3N16MA

Banned
I went ahead and ordered one of these, they say its for ipad 2, but I figured because it's leather, it should be flexible enough to fit a slightly thicker ipad 3. Apart from the thickness, the only other difference is that the ipad 3 has a slightly larger camera lens. The camera hole cutout seems big enough to accomodate the new camera too I think.

So far, it seems quite popular on some forums and had a few glowing reviews on youtube.

I created a couple Yoobao threads over on MacRumors and they became pretty big with all the interest in their cases. Definitely one of the more popular case manufactures.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Sorry for a potentially silly question, but has the iPad reached a point where it can be a full on laptop replacement? And if not, why?

depends on what you use your laptop for. heres what it cant do or cant do well:

high end games
coding
pc software
have a keyboard attached to it (like physically hinged on... at least as far as i know)
have peripherals up the wazoo attached to it
seamless multitasking

No_Style

For me, the iPad (and touch based tablets in general) is a great consumption device, but not the ideal creation device for me. My Macbook Air will still be my preferred choice for composing blog posts & Twitter updates w/ complex link manipulations. The most "content creation" I would ever see myself doing is the odd light e-mail or Twitter updates.

yes and no... The only thing I am keeping my macbook around anymore for is heavy multitasking (ie, watching video while browsing, etc), which is weak to nonexistent on the iPad, and general processing power. By the time the iPad 4 or 5 rolls around, I don't think the differences will be so substantial. My desire to plumb the innards of a computer has dropped off a lot since my CLI days. I could see myself at one point getting a mac mini and using that as a central server of sorts in conjunction with a couple of ipads.

Rengoku

I created a couple Yoobao threads over on MacRumors and they became pretty big with all the interest in their cases. Definitely one of the more popular case manufactures.

How does the case hold up after a couple months? Do you still use it? or have you switched to another?

lenovox1

yes and no... The only thing I am keeping my macbook around anymore for is heavy multitasking (ie, watching video while browsing, etc), which is weak to nonexistent on the iPad, and general processing power. By the time the iPad 4 or 5 rolls around, I don't think the differences will be so substantial. . .

Let's hope not, since at least one competitor (Windows 8) will be able to handle those types of tasks. I don't think lack of multitasking hurt the iPhone in its first few years, though.

sfedai0

Banned
Is there a specific site that has cases, skins, docks, etc for the ipad? I feel like Amazon's offerings are a bit lacking.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
yes and no... The only thing I am keeping my macbook around anymore for is heavy multitasking (ie, watching video while browsing, etc), which is weak to nonexistent on the iPad, and general processing power. By the time the iPad 4 or 5 rolls around, I don't think the differences will be so substantial. My desire to plumb the innards of a computer has dropped off a lot since my CLI days. I could see myself at one point getting a mac mini and using that as a central server of sorts in conjunction with a couple of ipads.
That's where we're headed. Use the mac mini for the heavier stuff (and work, if need be - iPad is a long way off from doing anything useful for a designer/illustrator) and the iPads for browsing/vids etc. I've used my ipad 1 for ages to browse the net or watch videos lying on my side in bed, something you can't really do on a laptop. Just simple stuff like that. I love the 'always on' aspect of it - just pick it up and start browsing/playing/whatever. Either way, it's now up on eBay ready for the 3 next week. Goodbye, SweetCheeks. You will be missed. For about 3 days.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
I've never been a believer in the Pads but this sounds awfully nice. Hopefully I can justify the "investment" sometime after the initial sold outs.

Let's hope not, since at least one competitor (Windows 8) will be able to handle those types of tasks. I don't think lack of multitasking hurt the iPhone in it's first few years, though.
I don't think it did either, but tablets aren't really the same and phones, IMO. If at some point iOS lets me display a given number of content windows simultaneously, my need for a laptop would drop off a cliff. But I think this is more of an issue of horsepower and implementation than anything else. I'm ok with the overall tradeoffs right now.

Yaska

depends on what you use your laptop for. heres what it cant do or cant do well:

high end games
coding
pc software
have a keyboard attached to it (like physically hinged on... at least as far as i know)
have peripherals up the wazoo attached to it
seamless multitasking

You can attach USB keyboards to ipad these days. You need that ipad camera usb kit thingy for that, no need to even jailbreak.

SephCast

Brotherhood of Shipley's

I've got one from when I had my iPad 2. Thing is quality. Hopefully it works with the 3.

So the iPad 2 cases will work with the new model? Can anyone recommend any good cases that cover the front and back and add minimal bulk?

Juice

1. Totally called the last-minute haptic rumor as being bogus. They always are.

2. I'm super excited to learn iPad 3 supports Personal Hotspot. My MiFi's contract is up and I'm eager to drop it. (Preordered one LTE, one Wifi iPad)

3. Sick of Apple waffling on names. Either drop all numbers in the naming or only increment. I have no doubt they'll renege on this yet again in the future.

4. I think the only substantive disappointment is that Apple failed to deliver Siri on the iPad. Presumably because Siri is swamped just by 4S users, but I'm bummed nonetheless. Dictation at least suggests that the hardware has the appropriate noise cancelling to support a Siri software update in the future.

I can't believe how many people are asking questions that can be answered in 5 seconds from www.apple.com. ie. is there a 128GB iPad? The time it took you to post that question, and wait for a response (thats hopefully accurate) is infinitely more than going to the official source and checking. I mean, you'd think someone who posts on this forum knows how to use the internet, and realizes that Apple actually has a website. I don't mean to be an asshole, but this really blows my mind, in terms of the thought process involved.

Screen%20Shot%202012-03-08%20at%2012.32.00%20AM.png

There, I just answered like 30 questions in this thread.

Vyer

So what are all the options for tethering/mobile hotspot? I'm going to picking up a new phone by the end of the year, but currently I don't use anything. I preordered a wifi, but I'm hoping not to have to spend the extra $$$ on a 4G model instead.

4G built into the ipad, which you can do month to month.
Hotspot from wireless provider, usually runs $50/month
Use a cellphone to tether (also a montly charge?)

Those of you that use one of these options, what do you find to be the best solution?

kehs

Banned
I can't believe how many people are asking questions that can be answered in 5 seconds from www.apple.com. ie. is there a 128GB iPad? The time it took you to post that question, and wait for a response (thats hopefully accurate) is inifnitely less than going to the official source and checking. I mean, you'd think someone who posts on this forum knows how to use the internet, and realizes that Apple actually has a website. I don't mean to be an asshole, but this really blows my mind, in terms of the thought process involved.

Screen%20Shot%202012-03-08%20at%2012.32.00%20AM.png

There, I just answered like 30 questions in this thread.

Do I get Siri with the 128GB ethernet model?

3. Sick of Apple waffling on names. Either drop all numbers in the naming or only increment. I have no doubt they'll renege on this yet again in the future.

4. I think the only substantive disappointment is that Apple failed to deliver Siri on the iPad. Presumably because Siri is swamped just by 4S users, but I'm bummed nonetheless. Dictation at least suggests that the hardware has the appropriate noise cancelling to support a Siri software update in the future.

3- I'm assuming they decided to drop the numbering scheme all together. My prediction? They're gonna phase out the iPad 2 this year, drop the size, and rename it iPad mini or whatever (7.85") which will retain the 1024x768 resolution and that price-point. These 2 sizes will be refreshed and replaced on a yearly basis. I'd bet money on this if I could.

4- I can see alot of potential reasons why Apple has hesitated to include Siri. One would eb that many of the apps Siri is integrated with simply don't exist on the iPad, and Apple for whatever reason has decided not to make them available (ie. weather, stock, alarm clock, etc). I wish they would have, in some enhanced fashion, but I guess they have their reasons, possibly for differentiation.

Juice

3- I'm assuming they decided to drop the numbering scheme all together. My prediction? They're gonna phase out the iPad 2 this year, drop the size, and rename it iPad mini or whatever (7.85") which will retain the 1024x768 resolution and that price-point. These 2 sizes will be refreshed and replaced on a yearly basis. I'd bet money on this if I could.

4- I can see alot of potential reasons why Apple has hesitated to include Siri. One would eb that many of the apps Siri is integrated with simply don't exist on the iPad, and Apple for whatever reason has decided not to make them available (ie. weather, stock, alarm clock, etc). I wish they would have, in some enhanced fashion, but I guess they have their reasons, possibly for differentiation.

Good point on the built in apps. That'd make Siri oddly inconsistent.

noah111

Still Alive
2. I'm super excited to learn iPad 3 supports Personal Hotspot. My MiFi's contract is up and I'm eager to drop it. (Preordered one LTE, one Wifi iPad)
I still don't understand, is this supported for 3G as well or not? I'm overseas and use a 3G HSDPA USB dongle for internet access. Could I insert this sim into an iPad and share the internet to my MBP?

Juice

I'm annoyed that Apple's site has no pricing info on personal hotspot—it even says "if the carrier offers it"

With my luck only Verizon will offer it.

jiggle

can i do word processing on this? (using keyboard attachment of course)
and how efficient is it compared to using word?

Juice

I still don't understand, is this supported for 3G as well or not? I'm overseas and use a 3G HSDPA USB dongle for internet access. Could I insert this sim into an iPad and share the internet to my MBP?

Almost certainly not. iPads are complete service plan anomalies from the carrier perspective. Priced like postpaid but with a prepaid style.

Also iPad has MicroSIM.

HoTHiTTeR

12 Hours later and the 'delivers on' date hasn't slipped. They must have a ton of these prepped and factories working OT to fill demand.

So who the fuck writes Financial Post articles? Anti-Apple trolls? I mean seriously. Not a single statement in this thing has any real truth to it. This is journalism?

New Apple iPad does little to fend off rivals’ advance

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/03/07/new-apple-ipad-does-little-to-fend-off-rivals-advance/

With the launch of the next generation of its iPad tablet, Apple Inc. has staked, once again, its claim to the throne atop the tablet kingdom — while at the same time opening a window for its rivals to finally catch up.

As Apple chief executive Tim Cook wrapped up his first major product unveiling event since the death of his company’s iconic co-founder Steve Jobs last fall, perhaps no one was as excited about what he had to say as Apple’s competitors.

Despite all the hype and media attention surrounding the launch of Apple’s third generation iPad — which Apple is simply calling “The new iPad” — investors and observers responded to the Cupertino, California company’s latest offering with a collective shrug.

For Apple’s rivals, most notably Google Inc. and Microsoft Corp., the incremental improvements in the latest iPad may be just the opportunity they need to establish themselves as legitimate competitors to the world’s most valuable company.

But will that be enough to cause Apple fans to line up outside the company’s retail stores on launch day next Friday (March 16)?

When the iPad 2 was unveiled last year, it was seen as an incremental upgrade over the original version of the device, adding a couple of cameras and improving battery life. It now appears that Apple’s move from second to third generation iPad is even less of a bold leap forward and more of a tepid shuffle from an underwhelming top dog.

'Even less of a bold leap'? Tepid shuffle from an underwhelming top dog? Quadrupling screen pixels is now considered a tepid shuffle? Who the fuck is this guy, and why is he writing about Apple?

Investors appeared to be disappointed by the announcement, with Apple stock falling more than 2% from US$535.11 per share at 1 p.m. ET (just before the announcement) to US$524.24 by 3:15 p.m. ET (about an hour after the unveiling) before recovering to close the trading day at US$530.69, marginally higher than its opening price Wednesday morning.

Frankly, if battered RIM had launched a new device with a similar set of incremental upgrades, the company would have been greeted with scorn and derision, rather than a worldwide media blitz.

In some respects, Apple has become a victim of its own success. Over the past few years, the world has become accustomed to Apple offering up a near constant parade of innovative products, blowout earnings results and record sales figures.

The new iPad is quite possibly the best tablet on the market today. We have just come to expect more of Apple.

So what exactly DID you expect, Matt Hartley? You never actually told us. No, I'm pretty sure if RIM unveiled what was shown today it wouldn't have been met with 'scorn and derision'. Investors appeared disappointed? Says who? Sounds like Apple raped this guy's dog. No other way to rationalize the passive aggressive, utterly unobjective, blatantly biased tone he has throughout the whole article. Fine for a blog, but the business section Washington Post? This guy can't POSSIBLY believe what he wrote, so I'm assuming he did it solely for clickbait and ad impressions? Sad what we've come to, and even more shocking when reading his credentials. I couldn't care less if it was from a blogger, but this is someone who is being paid and spreading horseshit.

VPhys

Is this true? I didn't see any specs that said it was substantially thicker..

Manufactures of ipad 2 cases are making separate cases for the ipad 3. example

Cases that only cover the front should work identical on the 3. It also seems all accessories that worked for the ipad 2 will work with the ipad gen 3.

I heard a similar line, that this is just minor updates and it's essentially an iPad 2.5, from one of my friends. My question is what the fuck could Apple have introduced in the new iPad that would have satisfied people like my friend and Matt Hartley? I can understand how the ram, 4g, gpu and camera could be seen as minor updates but are people really not impressed by this screen?

Kevin

I am new to the whole 3G/4G thing. Was wondering if I could get some help with this. I want a 4G iPad and I was wondering what carrier I should got with. I live in Erie, PA if that matters. AT&T or Verizon?

kehs

Banned
So who the fuck writes Financial Post articles? Anti-Apple trolls? I mean seriously. Not a single statement in this thing has any real truth to it. This is journalism?

New Apple iPad does little to fend off rivals’ advance

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/03/07/new-apple-ipad-does-little-to-fend-off-rivals-advance/

'Even less of a bold leap'? Tepid shuffle from an underwhelming top dog? Quadrupling screen pixels is now considered a tepid shuffle? Who the fuck is this guy, and why is he writing about Apple?

So what exactly DID you expect, Matt Hartley? You never actually told us. No, I'm pretty sure if RIM unveiled what was shown today it wouldn't have been met with 'scorn and derision'. Investors appeared disappointed? Says who? Sounds like Apple raped this guy's dog. No other way to rationalize the passive aggressive, utterly unobjective, blatantly biased tone he has throughout the whole article. Fine for a blog, but the business section Washington Post? This guy can't POSSIBLY believe what he wrote, so I'm assuming he did it solely for clickbait and ad impressions? Sad what we've come to, and even more shocking when reading his credentials.

Sounds like they were impressed by the ipad, but it didn't exceed their every expectation.

Top Bottom