• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

DJ88

Well thanks to you guys, I'm currently deep within the bowls of a ghetto Walmart so I can get a 32GB to replace the 16GB one I preordered. My phone is about to die, and I still have 2 hours to go. Wish me luck!

woober

http://i.imgur.com/l3EbS.jpg

Home screen. Wasn't sure how to show a small thumbnail image, and didn't wanna blow out the page with a monstrous image :p
I might put that dirty low-res ebay icon on its own screen. Down in the corner out of sight.

There's a lot of compression in your picture for some reason.

Edit: I guess others before me are mentioning it too. Use min.us to upload.

e_i

Neat. Real Racing 2 HD and Star Walk HD have Retina support. Wow...80 minutes to d/l Real Racing 2 HD? Just how big is this fucker?

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
Wait, everything on this list has retina updates?

MC3, IBII and Mass Effect will look crazy on this screen.

If you mean the data pad app, yes it does.

Starting to grow on me as I use more websites, lol. Its a change that really sets in when actually reading, opposed to trying to compare things between iPads.

Does that look better or worse in practical use?

I think worse, particularly when viewing it on an angle. Colour temp really is a preference thing though.

Does that look better or worse in practical use?

That's a personal preference. My preference is cooler because I love having really white whites. As you can see in his pics, the whites are very warm (appearing yellowish). As long as you dont also use an iPad that's got a cool temp, you'll eventually just get used to it. It's when you constantly see a difference that it can bug ya.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Also, didn't we have "yellow-screen-gate" with the 4S launch?

I remember there being talk about the glue on the screen was still settling and would go away after a few days and the hue on the screen in general was just warmer.

I'll see for myself, but as I type this on my 4S the whites look white and not yellow.

Don't doubt the warmer screen, just think the "it's gonna look yellow" reactions are likely a bit premature.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Can the yellow tint be due to glue like the 4s??

The 4S screen isn't yellow due to glue. The colour temperature of the panel is completely different to the iPhone 4.

Looks like the new iPad is warm just like the 4S.

Also, didn't we have "yellow-screen-gate" with the 4S launch?

I remember there being talk about the glue on the screen was still settling and would go away after a few days and the hue on the screen in general was just warmer.

I'll see for myself, but as I type this on my 4S the whites look white and not yellow.

Don't doubt the warmer screen, just think the "it's gonna look yellow" reactions are likely a bit premature.
Hold your 4S next to a 4. The difference is night and day. The screen on the 4 looks a ton better due to the superior colour temperature.

I don't notice the warmer screen on my iPhone 4S any more, I don't know if that's because my old 4 is no longer next to it to compare it to, or because it got cooler over time.

snack

To those that have the iPad 3 already in their hands, can you test out a 720p video on AVPlayer HD and see if the video stutters? Many thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/l3EbS.jpg

Home screen. Wasn't sure how to show a small thumbnail image, and didn't wanna blow out the page with a monstrous image :p
I might put that dirty low-res ebay icon on its own screen. Down in the corner out of sight.

Still can't believe how fucking horrible the FaceTime icon is. I'm still blown away that Apple would think it looks ok, considering most of their other icons are gorgeous or at least not offensive.

Rlan

Jetpack Joyride:

http://i.minus.com/iXo4fPma5r9K.PNG

http://i.minus.com/ibpDT9et6H5sZk.PNG

Didn't want to direct link, since they're huge. iminus is reallllly slow too. imgur added extra blur that isn't there in the native png.

Thanks man. Also it seems like you might have chose the worst time to grab the PNG as wel, as it might have been the capture we use behind the backing for the result screen :)

I'd suggest maybe Dropbox? You can get an account quickly and then use the public folder to hold the image.

Jijidasu

This might be a silly question but how on earth do I configure Reeder like it is in the pictures?

I set up a readability account as requested, added a couple of things to my 'reading list' and they were inside one of those boxes called Readability. I couldn't find a way to move them out onto the main dashboard and I some how deleted it. Go me.

So excited to get my hands on this thing tomorrow, especially now that the hands-on impressions are coming in. Screen sounds mind-bogglingly good.

jts

...hate me...
Still can't believe how fucking horrible the FaceTime icon is. I'm still blown away that Apple would think it looks ok, considering most of their other icons are gorgeous or at least not offensive.
Right on. The original one wasn't a marvel either but it was much better. And consistent. Green meant communicating apps and I was fine with that.

facetime_icon20100901.jpg

elfinke

Thanks man. Also it seems like you might have chose the worst time to grab the PNG as wel, as it might have been the capture we use behind the backing for the result screen :)

I'd suggest maybe Dropbox? You can get an account quickly and then use the public folder to hold the image.

I think I have a (much underused) dropbox account. Gimmee 5 and I'll grab some fresh ones, and rehost :)

/edit:

Hasn't been updated for retina. Everything but the text looks blah.

Also, smh.

[/IMG]http://i.imgur.com/R6PuW.png[/IMG]

Yep, that is the New York Times review, by David Pogue, who is a serial offender apparently. I don't know him from a bar of soap.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Mannnnn

I hope mine isn't that piss yellow

What is with manufacturers having the worse sense of color temps?

It's probably how they are claiming better saturation...

Mannnnn

Just be thankful that the entire screen is the same temp, unlike Apple's shitty line of iMacs that have bands of different temps throughout the screen.

elfinke

Mannnnn

I have a preference towards warm colour temperatures (projector, monitors, f.lux TV etc are all setup for warm over cool), so I'm certainly less sensitive to it than others.

Having said that, sitting in my horribly fluorescent-lit office I don't notice the yellow hue. It's certainly not Codemasters' F1 2010 piss-filter bad in any event :)

woober

Stop hosting images on imgur!!!!! Look at all the compression artifacts around the text (the blurry gray colors) that aren't supposed to be there.

taoofjord

I'm getting the new iPad tomorrow and giving my iPad 2 to my girlfriend. All I have to do is log in to my iCloud account on the new one to have it download everything/sync with the iPad 2 right? And then do I have to format the old iPad 2 or can my gf keep using it with my account? Any drawbacks?

Mannnnn

that temperature is ideal for reading. it's significantly easier on the eyes then colder temperatures. especially at night.

or, why f.lux is so popular.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Stop hosting images on imgur!!!!! Look at all the compression artifacts around the text (the blurry gray colors) that aren't supposed to be there.
Thanks for the tip on min.us, by the way - I dunno who the hell to use these days. At least they don't seem to compress stuff.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I have a preference towards warm colour temperatures (projector, monitors, f.lux TV etc are all setup for warm over cool), so I'm certainly less sensitive to it than others.

Having said that, sitting in my horribly fluorescent-lit office I don't notice the yellow hue. It's certainly not Codemasters' F1 2010 piss-filter bad in any event :)

I only find warm better for flesh tones, blacks (sometimes) and the color green

Cool helps red, blue and white and has more impact to the image

Meh I'll see... Even my iPhone 4 was warm compared to my 3G and I eventually got used to it :p

Top Bottom