• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Mr. Tone

Any stuttering? And which app are you using? :)

I encoded using Ripbot264, to a pretty standard High@4.1 mp4, maybe 2.8GB for a 2-hour film? Just watching it in the standard Videos app, does not appear to be any stuttering. It's incredibly gorgeous.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
I'm starting to regret knocking the improved image quality.

Voice dictation works better than expected. I am actually using it to make is post.

snack

I encoded using Ripbot264, to a pretty standard High@4.1 mp4, maybe 2.8GB for a 2-hour film? Just watching it in the standard Videos app, does not appear to be any stuttering. It's incredibly gorgeous.

Sweet! Thanks for the info. Can't wait to get mine tomorrow. The hype!

Right on. The original one wasn't a marvel either but it was much better. And consistent. Green meant communicating apps and I was fine with that.

facetime_icon20100901.jpg

Exactly. I'm actually insanely curious to know what Apple's thinking was behind the edesign, and what the fuck the textured paper mache background represents. It's like a jumble of weird textures and shapes that don't fit together. That green one is a million times better, because it looks normal.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Speaking of warmer temps, I hope this iPad gets jail broken ASAP so I can put f.lux on it. It makes the experience so much nicer.

Posted from my OG iPad using f.lux

Twitter updated for retina.

these are the reasons iOS continues to win. no developer wants to be the last one to update to the new shit that just sold 5 million (or however many now), so they update as fast as possible to stay relevant.

It's something you just don't see on other platforms, and it's why customer satisfaction is so high with iOS devices.

elfinke

I can't wait for the retina update for Carcassonne in a year or two. That will look amazing.

That was about the 2nd app I downloaded! It's still a looker, and a pleasure to play with all that screen real estate, but yes, high res tiles would make it a stunner.

Trying Football Manager '11 now - it likewise benefits from the bigger screen, even though it isn't much to look at.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
That was about the 2nd app I downloaded! It's still a looker, and a pleasure to play with all that screen real estate, but yes, high res tiles would make it a stunner.

Trying Football Manager '11 now - it likewise benefits from the bigger screen, even though it isn't much to look at.

The year or two is a joke because the Carcassonne developers are notorious for taking FOREVER to update the app. But I wouldn't be surprised if their estimate of a couple of weeks is accurate and we could have retina Carcassonne in a month.

Also, go immediately to the Carcassonne thread, introduce yourself, put your name on the list and get into some GAF games.

these are the reasons iOS continues to win. no developer wants to be the last one to update to the new shit that just sold 5 million (or however many now), so they update as fast as possible to stay relevant.

It's something you just don't see on other platforms, and it's why customer satisfaction is so high with iOS devices.

That and if you're an android dev it isn't exactly easy to create an app that's supposed to run on 100+ devices

Wubby

Doh, woke up this morning and checked tracking. They tried delivering it to my work at 10:30 but we don't open till 11. Have to wait for the re-delivery.

elfinke

The year or two is a joke because the Carcassonne developers are notorious for taking FOREVER to update the app. But I wouldn't be surprised if their estimate of a couple of weeks is accurate and we could have retina Carcassonne in a month.

Also, go immediately to the Carcassonne thread, introduce yourself, put your name on the list and get into some GAF games.

I was playing in a few GAF games some time ago, before Shit Got In The Way last year. I'll jump back in I think :)

That and if you're an android dev it isn't exactly easy to create an app that's supposed to run on 100+ devices

it's not easy to create a good app on any platform. updates are surely easier on iOS devices, but the point here is that the caliber of competition spurs better apps and faster updates than any other platform sees, giving us consumers a level of quality, quantity and stability in apps that competitors just can't match.

What are the chances I can walk into my local BFE walmart tonight around 11 and get one at midnight ?

I can tell you my girlfriend walked into her local not quite BFE Walmart, and there was only one person waiting for the midnight launch. I'm not sure if it's all Walmarts or just certain ones, but her's only had 16 gb wifi. She wanted a 32 gb so she walked out.

Edit: I should clarify that she got there about 10:45 pm local time.

SeanR1221

Same reason there still aren't apps updated for mango on WP7.

3N16MA

Banned
First person to post their new iPad in this thread gets a prize.
I will send you a PM which really is not a prize at all.

cnizzle06

Banned
I'm 5th in line at Walmart. The employee went around and wrote down the version we want. I'm concerned I should've asked for an LTE...

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
MY IPAD IS IN MY TOWN!!!!!!!!!!! Tomorrow can't get here soon enough!

elfinke

Someone was asking earlier about it, but I notice if I download something from the app store front (rather than from my past purchases page) it kicks me back to screen where the app is downloading to. Annoying, when I'm on a spree here!

numble

There seemed to be more Apple Staff than iPad buyers at the Hong Kong Apple Store, at least 2-3 hours after opening. They would cheer loudly every 1-2 minutes as another 1 or 2 iPad buyers came to pick up their iPads. Also a lot of media on hand.

The Hong Kong Apple Store is a lottery-only system, so no lines were there. I still saw a bunch of shady people around the area. It's still not a perfect system because scalpers can still use their workers to bid on multiple lottery spots.

The iPad I played with already had Safari opened to a Mainland China Apple forum, possibly to look up resale prices.

kr2t0s

Hold your 4S next to a 4. The difference is night and day. The screen on the 4 looks a ton better due to the superior colour temperature.

I believe with the 4 and the 4s - Apple used more than one manufacturer for the screens. I have a 4s and so does my wife - hers is yellow, mine is blue-ish.

It's not as clear cut as saying the 4s is different than the 4. I guarantee you that if you had a bunch of iPhone 4's next to one another - you would see screen differences in those as well.

Magnus

Hands up, anyone else missing their shipment tomorrow while at work? :(

Can't wait to visit UPS on Tuesday (my next day off) to actually pick it up.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
From news story on the Perth launch :
"But it wasn't a rush of fans running into the store that marked Apple opening its door - more than 30 staff members burst out the doors and danced up and down the street yelling and cheering, before going back inside and singing a chant."
WHAT. Horrifying.

Top Bottom