• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

HURRY THE FUCK UP TOMORROW

I'm just glad it's being delivered FedEx. They're usually morning deliveries for me. UPS doesn't usually get to my house until 5ish.
All of my launch day iProducts arrived in the AM, so hopefully the trend continues!

white ipad 32GB that is a solid choice right?

i won't be storing my music on it or too many videos, but i do want legroom for the big games. can't really see a need for the 4G especially given the premium. always thought the white looked kinda cool
That's what I got. Probably would have given the Verizon LTE version a very hard look if I didn't already have a MiFi. Would be awesomely useful as a hotspot, at least until the LTE iPhone 5 comes out :)

elfinke

white ipad 32GB that is a solid choice right?

i won't be storing my music on it or too many videos, but i do want legroom for the big games. can't really see a need for the 4G especially given the premium. always thought the white looked kinda cool

I went 16gb, and have 2 full pages of apps I've just redownloaded (including some bigger ones like Galaxy on Fire1 and 2, Infinity Blade, Carcassone). Still plenty of space to go. I also caught a tweet saying that Infinity Blade 2 actually shrank in size after it's retina update.

32gb is plenty, you chose well :)

Man... when it arrives tomorrow... my house is gonna look like this:

tumblr_lw29rb62XQ1qg9jyio1_r1_500.gif

No more crashing on websites and games for low memory reasons!!

Haha 4am is not too late, I have never been in line that early but always got my iPhone/iPad. That's when I was still dumb enough to stand in line rather than just get launch delivery :)

DJ_Lae

After no updates since Saturday, my UPS tracking finally broke.

DwF43.jpg

It ain't coming tomorrow. No way is it flying to Vancouver and then taking the ferry over and then going out for delivery in the next eight hours.

You must be getting trolled. Because what you say is absolutely true.

It doesn't take long to find plenty of quotes on the subject. Anybody claiming there weren't "plenty" of people saying the 4s was going to be bad for Apple's smartphone business either weren't paying attention then, or are lying now.

Last I checked, it takes "plenty" of people to drop a company's stock by 5% while raising the price of it's major competitors like HTC and Samsung.

And then there's this:

Erik Sherman, CBS News

You expect smart things from Apple (AAPL). Products that step ahead in key ways. Apple has pulled it off time and again in the smartphone market. But the company just blew it. Lots of anticipation for the iPhone 5 that Apple didn't announce. Just the new 4S with some impressive features, but still ... talk about major disappointment. This is one of the biggest business flubs Apple has seen since the 1980s.
Maybe no one should have been surprised. Apple did go from the 3G to the 3GS and then to the 4. But, come on, there was still only a year between models. The iPhone 4 came out in June 2010. The 4S has the feeling of a polished up placeholder.

So the price of the 8GB 4 is now $99 with a contract. So you can get an 8GB 3GS for free when you get service. So what? Android has already pulled out ahead in market share. The 4S simply isn't going to do what Apple needs -- or what the market wants.

CK Lu, Gartner, on the iPhone 4S

"Apple no longer has a leading edge – its cloud service is even behind (Google's mobile operating system) Android; it can only sell on brand loyalty now. Users may wait to buy the next iPhone; if they can't wait, they may shift to brands with more advanced specifications."

Thomas Husson, European consumer mobile analyst, Forrester Research

"Apple's smartphone product strategists face an ongoing paradox: maintaining premium leadership with an annual product renewal while tapping the rapidly mainstreaming global smartphone market. Apple's product strategists have opted to satisfy the premium position with an iPhone 4S that, like the 3GS at its introduction, relies on improved processing power and a new interaction paradigm, but eschews technology upgrades that their Android competitors rely upon today such as LTE and a larger screen.

"Apple's new Siri Assistant, unique to the new 4S, is a powerful harbinger of the future use of mobile devices – not just the power of voice but, more importantly, the ability to contextualise a statement or request. However, Forrester believes that consumers will be much more slow to adopt this new interface than they did Apple's revolutionary touchscreen of its first iPhone."

Richard Windsor, Nomura Securities

"Apple diehards and hypesters waiting for a big revision of the hardware were disappointed on Tuesday when Apple launched an upgrade to the iPhone 4 rather than a brand new model. None of this is likely to keep the Android community up at night and we suspect that even Nokia may be sighing a breath of relief … After weeks of fevered speculation about a low-end model and multiple SKUs [stock-keeping units] of a new iPhone, very little has come to pass explaining the 3% decline in the share price, making the total intraday swing of 5%.

"While this has disappointed the Apple fans, it is good news for the Android camp. We think It makes complete sense for Apple to address the low end. The longer it delays, the better it is for the Android operators.

"We think that a low-end iPhone would be highly detrimental to the proposition of Android, but this time around it has been spared. Hence we remain comfortable with our choice of the Asian Android vendors as the best way to invest in the smartphone market: we have 'Buy' ratings on HTC, Samsung, ZTE and TCL."

Francisco Jeronimo, IDC European Mobile Devices research manager

"Despite the upgrades and the new iPhone 4S released, this announcement is all about price positioning. The new prices announced to the new iPhone4S and previous iPhone versions allow Apple to compete in the price segments where Android is fiercely growing, the mid-range. Apple will attract first-time smartphone users and users from mid-price Symbian devices looking for an upgrade, but will it attract current iPhone users to replace their current iPhone's? Definitely not!

"In the previous announcements, Apple implemented significant software and hardware changes able to seduce users to get the latest version, but this is not the case with the iPhone 4S. This device represents an opportunity for Samsung and HTC Android premium handsets. The Samsung Galaxy S II has been a major hit around the world and a serious competitor to the iPhone.

"HTC has also been increasing market share in the high-end segment. Without a significant hardware differentiation there's no strong incentive for a massive replacement, as users can just upgrade their iPhone 4s with the new iOS 5. Samsung and HTC have been pumping the market with new handsets every quarter, if not every month. Their devices deliver strong user experiences based on Android OS at lower prices."

Kim Young-chan, financial analyst at Shinhan Investment Corp, Seoul

"Major concerns for Samsung had been that its smartphone momentum would decelerate with Apple's new iPhone, but that is now less of a concern as the new iPhone failed to excite many."

Adam Clark Estes, Atlantic Wire

Let's get this out of the way: Lots of people are very disappointed with Apple.
As much as tech bloggers are singing the praises of the new features and analysts insist that the new pricing structure makes the iPhone more competitive with the Android, the usual afterglow that sparkles the eyes of Apple fanboys is noticeably absent the day after the latest big product reveal. It's very possible that consumer sentiment could brighten up once people actually start using the device and its shiny new software, but from a business perspective, Apple woke up to a series of headaches on Tuesday morning. Like dealing a bad hangover, Tim Cook and company will have to grin and bear it.

Apple's new personal assistant Siri is the butt of many jokes in Japan. Everyone remembers the collective gasp over the obvious women's product pun when Apple dubbed their new tablet the iPad last year. A similar thing happened in Japan when Apple announced that the new voice-controlled personal assistant software would keep the name Siri. The similar-sounding word shiri literally means "ass" in Japanese.

Wall Street is betting heavy on Apple's smartphone competitors. The market did not react kindly to Apple's anti-climactic announcement on Wednesday as the price of Apple shares sunk by $25 in afternoon trading. They recovered those losses by the end of the day, but Apple still closed down. Competitors Samsung, HTC and LG, however, enjoyed a bit of a bull run, as analysts pointed out how the disappointing news spells opportunity for Android devices. "Apple no longer has a leading edge, its cloud service is even behind Android," one in Taipei told Reuters. "It can only sell on brand loyalty now."

John R. Quain, Fox News

Is Apple losing its "app-eal"?

With such stellar products as the iPhone and iPad, every Apple announcement is a potentially game-changing event. And yesterday's debut of the new iPhone 4S could also change the marketplace -- just not in the way you might think.

By failing to make any major changes to the phone that changed the mobile world -- indeed, merely catching up in some areas -- Apple has left open the window for Windows and the iPhone's other competitors, from Samsung to Google to HTC.

Dan Lyons, The Daily Beast

Before today’s big event at Apple was even over, the company’s stock had plunged 10 bucks—which tells you all you need to know about how people are responding to what Apple introduced.

In short: there is no new iPhone.

The problem for Apple is that one week from today Google and Samsung are going to introduce the new flagship Android phone, which will have a totally new design and probably include some features that put it ahead of the iPhone 4S.

That may have as much to do with Apple’s stock-price drop as anything else.

Four years ago, when Apple introduced the first iPhone, it had the market to itself. Now the company is facing fierce competition. The fear seems to be that Apple has become complacent at a time when it can ill afford to slow down. Apple seems to be betting that its loyal customers won’t stray to the Android camp. Whether that’s really the case remains to be seen.

Alex Gauna, JMP Securities

We couldn’t help but come away with the impression that the advances, launch forum and presentations lacked much of the panache seen in the past. This could heighten investor anxieties around how the company will operate without visionary leader Steve Jobs at the helm as well as leave the door open for Android to continue gaining worldwide market share at a faster pace.

And if you really want some fun, check out how the Fandroid community was acting:

http://www.androidauthority.com/iphone-4s-bulldozes-smoother-wider-path-for-android-success-26223/

Oh my gosh!!! The media is wrong about the pulse of what the general public think and how they react!!!

No way!!!

Edit: Just further proof of "experts" having no clue on how the public react or how they think. But by golly these "experts" represent the majority don't they?

Magnus

Is it possible to give UPS instructions over the phone to arrive at a delivery address, call my cell phone so that I can meet them at a specific point, and wait for me to run over to sign?

Like, there's just no reception desk where I am for them to see some fucking secretary, and the whole block basically has the same numbered address. I know I'll probably be available to drop what I'm doing and quickly run to meet the delivery guy, but I just wonder if he won't look at instructions and just give up and say "missed delivery".

This is why I hate ordering shit online instead of just picking it up at brick and mortar retail myself. Fuck.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
sweet hoppin on the tablet train then (probably a gen too early but it's coo)

smartcover -- i presume it's needed? poly vs. leather? scratches don't really bother me at all, do people rawdog their ipads?

smartcover -- i presume it's needed? poly vs. leather? scratches don't really bother me at all, do people rawdog their ipads?

Oh shit, leather ones eat up grease and dirt but when new looks so good. Also impossible to clean.

Black iPad is only iPad.

Still deciding upgrade next gen or fucking buy three iPads in a row.

MontTrain

Banned
It's not really needed as such. Personally I had a smart cover but only use it as a stand now since the vertical line smudges pissed me off.

I raw dog all my iDevices.

Jony Ive cries every time someone puts a case on his creations.

Zeth

Just got an email from my local Apple reseller/training place: "New iPad in Stock Now. Doors Open at 7am". Love that they're trying to beat Apple by an hour.

Zeth

I'm surprised there's barely any talk of the black leather smart cover in this thread. Black iPad, black smart cover is sexy as hell. And Jonny Ive would approve.

MontTrain

Banned
But what if he also created the smart cover? #philosoraptor

The smart cover is the least offensive of all as it really doesn't change the form factor, was designed in conjuction and is easily removable.

All those months spent getting things down to the last millimeter and then someone puts an otterbox on it.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
literally the best decision i have ever made in my life was to stop putting cases on my ipods back in the day. going to be brave and continue the tradition now even though it will be rough the first few days. just need to break that thing in and i'm good to go

A cover is needed. A smart cover is not. Unless you like pissing away cash. There's better, cheaper options.

Jony Ive cries every time someone puts a case on his creations.

Then next time design an iPhone that doesn't drop calls when I simply hold the damn thing. Yep still mad that the design of my iPhone 4 shits the bed. But I digress.

On a more positive note, just bought two books off Amazon to read on my new iPad. Whoooooot.

Oh my gosh!!! The media is wrong about the pulse of what the general public think and how they react!!!

No way!!!

Edit: Just further proof of "experts" having no clue on how the public react or how they think. But by golly these "experts" represent the majority don't they?

It's not all media. I think you'll find many of those quotes are from industry analysts for the financial markets too. You can also do a twitter search for posts relating to the October 4, 2011 event and quickly find hundreds, if not thousands of opinions from all across the spectrum of the general public predicting doom and gloom for the 4s and/or a boon for Android and WP.

You guys asked for something to back up his claim that "plenty" of people were saying the iPhone 4s would fail. So I provided some.

Now it looks like you are moving the goalposts...nobody but you said anything about a majority opinion. He said "plenty."

All those months spent getting things down to the last millimeter and then someone puts an otterbox on it.
Totally. If I was Jonny Ive I'd probably have a fit every time I walk past one of those booths at the mall selling piss-ugly iPhone/iPad cases and skins. Why not just actually take a shit on your iPad, much cheaper.

undecided

I think I may return my unopened smart cover and just go bare ipad3+netbook sleeve for any travel

the thing I have always disliked about the smartcover or any similar case is that when you flip it back and set it down on a table, whatever it comes in contact with is then transferred to your screen when you close it.

Does the smart cover really leave these line smudges I keep hearing about?

It's not leaving smudges. What happens is that the inside of the smart cover is a material that cleans the iPad when you shut it. But there's grooves in the smart cover and thus not every part of the smart cover is touching/cleaning the iPad when closed. So you'll see a line/smudge where it didn't get cleaned/wiped. It's not that it's adding filth to your screen. It's just not removing it.

It's not leaving smudges. What happens is that the inside of the smart cover is a material that actually cleans the iPad when you shut it. But there's grooves in the smart cover and thus not every part of the smart cover is touching/cleaning the iPad when closes. So you'll see a line/smudge where it didn't get cleaned/wiped. It's not that it's adding filth to your screen. It's just not removing it.
Fold the smart cover into a triangle and use it like a squeegee to give it a quick wipe from top to bottom. Takes 5 seconds. Do this every now and again, problem solved.

Showed up at my walmart.. they got 15 ipads.. I got there at 11:45.. I had my choice of 16GB Wifi , 32GB Wifi or a solitary 64GB AT&T model.. I leave disappointed.. to Verizon store in the morning..

I shall go home with a 64GB Vzw LTE model or nothing at all..

soldat7

Fold the smart cover into a triangle and use it like a squeegee to give it a quick wipe from top to bottom. Takes 5 seconds. Do this every now and again, problem solved.

This blew my mind when I realized it. Brilliant.

It's not leaving smudges. What happens is that the inside of the smart cover is a material that cleans the iPad when you shut it. But there's grooves in the smart cover and thus not every part of the smart cover is touching/cleaning the iPad when closed. So you'll see a line/smudge where it didn't get cleaned/wiped. It's not that it's adding filth to your screen. It's just not removing it.

Bingo

numble

No way!!!

When did people say the majority of people thought it would be a flop? I thought you took objection to the word "plenty"? You moved the goalposts.

cackhyena

literally the best decision i have ever made in my life was to stop putting cases on my ipods back in the day. going to be brave and continue the tradition now even though it will be rough the first few days. just need to break that thing in and i'm good to go

What?

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

Fucking hell, this is amazing. I just tried it on the wife's iPad 2 and the results are astounding.

tranciful

I've always been pro-naked iPhone, but I don't think I can do it with iPad. At the very least I'll need a sleeve to have it in when I'm not using it.

Top Bottom