• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Blackhead

Redarse
Has anybody gotten the LTE version and been able to test the faster 4G speeds? Does it seem worth it? I'm still debating which carrier to go with—or if I should skip out on the data version completely...

somewhat related: Is Verizon the only carrier confirmed for the hotspot feature? Does the carrier have to officially allow the feature before it shows up on the iPad?

Zabka

I don't think any extended warranties protect against wear and tear. However, that $49 will get you a new/refurbished iPad. Before AppleCare+ you could do this, but for around $300+.

Yeah that's my point and why I'm putting a case on it. Not every drop leads to a replacement scenario.

Just received my new iPad.

I'm coming from an iPad 1.
The screen is nice but didn't blow me away as much as I expected it to and it has a nasty yellow push compared to my old iPad, I much prefer the way colours look on the og iPad.

Showing it to co workers around the office side by side with my old iPad and most were hard pressed to see much of a difference in the screens, it's not a night and day thing like I expected.

Kinda dissapointed, especially with the yellow tint.

If it's anything like going from a 3G/3GS to an iPhone 4, you're not really going to think it's much different. Wait a month or two of using it, and then go back. It'll be jarring then. It's much more noticeable going back than it is going up.

jts

...hate me...
Link to this wallpaper please.

Giant_16_bit_Link_sprite_2_by_dragonpjb.gif

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
I just went and played with one at the apple store, and I have to say I wasn't really blown away by the display. Maybe I'm just used to the retina display of the iphone though.

Is 4G functionality that important to everyone? Trying to decide if I care.
I guess I'm asking if you already have an iPhone 4/4S with a data plan.

I have a 4S with a data plan and opted for the non LTE iPad. I figure that the next iPhone will have LTE anyways and I can tether if need be. No sense paying AT&T for two data plans, that's bullshit.

And now I'm thinking to myself, now if I'm out and about and will be depending on my iPhone's data connection, I'll be dependent on the iPhone's battery which may not last as long especially while tethering. Dammit.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked up a 32gb at Walmart. It was a really pleasant experience. They set up a line in the electronics department and asked each person what model they wanted and kept a list. They told late arrivers they were sold out so there was no worries about lie cutting or anything. Great job Walmart!

no_to_co

Just picked up a 32gb at Walmart. It was a really pleasant experience. They set up a line in the electronics department and asked each person what model they wanted and kept a list. They told late arrivers they were sold out so there was no worries about lie cutting or anything. Great job Walmart!

Same here. And the retina display is just awesome! Reading neogaf in portrait mode is so much clearer now.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Well... that Wal-mart experience was terrible. No sense of order, no lines... the fucking employee's told us to "run to the front and whoever gets in line first gets them". They then told us they had 10, and really only had 5.

Good thing I had fucking friends with me:
photo.jpg

Dat ebay photo-op

Blackhead

Redarse
I'm like 43rd in line. I was about the 100th in line when I got to the store at this time for the iPhone 4S...
The new iPad is a flop

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
My first post from the iPad! Browser flies on this thing! I'm so, so, so glad I sold my Transformer Prime for this!!!!

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If I want to keep my save games, is the only option to restore from my previous ipad backup? Was thinking to start from scratch and just install the games the kids really play (especially as they'll mostly need updating soon anyway).

or will I have to restore-delete apps I don't need any more - update apps?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have my iPad 2 and "new" sitting next to each other and really can't notice a difference. Apart from a colour tint difference that half us think is better on different ones.

if the characters on the screen are fairly large, I can imagine some people not noticing a huge difference - its still readable, right? But on a website where the text is small, it gets really fuzzy on ipad 2. Not a problem of course you can zoom in easily, but it will be nice to more comfortably read and select an article without needing to squint or zoom in all the time.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
if the characters on the screen are fairly large, I can imagine some people not noticing a huge difference - its still readable, right? But on a website where the text is small, it gets really fuzzy on ipad 2. Not a problem of course you can zoom in easily, but it will be nice to more comfortably read and select an article without needing to squint or zoom in all the time.

Yeah. Since posting that I've come to notice the difference more. Easier to notice when you stop trying to compare things side by side and instead use the thing.

Small text is amazing. Such as the text at the bottum of the Apple email invoice.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
think I'm just going to relax and wait for my 32GB wifi black to arrive, and not fuss any more about white. If ipad 4 is a big bump, and if it brings 4G to the UK (timing should be about right) then I'll grab a 64GB 4G and hand this one down to my kids/wife

Yaska

I envy all of you who have received their ipads. Still have to wait 'til next friday for our wave 2 launch (Finland) and Apple Store still lists it as coming soon. Gahh, the wait is killing me :D

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Mannnnn

I hope mine isn't that piss yellow

What is with manufacturers having the worse sense of color temps?

It's probably how they are claiming better saturation...

didn't we have this with the 4S, and someone actually measured it and the 4S was actually closer to the preferred colour temp of 6500k, just that people had gotten used to the cooler temp of the 4

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Wow, how long did you have your Transformer Prime? How do the two devices compare?

2 months. So far the iPad is pretty much better at everything. Way faster browser, and a million more apps. I do miss widgets though :(

mrklaw

MrArseFace
hahah no i've resisted tablet fever until now. was going to wait for the next-gen ipad since it seems like it'll be a big bump up but all the positive buzz around this got my hyped enough. i'll be getting it mostly for board games but i'm sure i'll find other uses too :p

holy shit, ipad is fantastic for board games. When you get it and have had some time with it, please post lots of impressions on the boardgame thread (or hell, start a new thread for them), I'd like to hear how you find it.

anyhow; posted earlier that I wasn't sure if I should get one as my ipad2 serviced me perfectly.

lunch today; walked into a local retailer (dick smith); they had a 64gb black 4G. bought it. syncing now.

didn't even have to queue and that shop was 3 minutes away from the sydney apple store where the queue was snaking long and hours to wait

/end

elfinke

holy shit, ipad is fantastic for board games. When you get it and have had some time with it, please post lots of impressions on the boardgame thread (or hell, start a new thread for them), I'd like to hear how you find it.

Even though they aren't optimised for it, scrabble, WWF and Carcassonne are all great. That extra real estate is very appreciated. Really can't get enough of this screen. Similar to what some reviewers mentioned, I keep catching glimpses of it from the corner of my eye while doing something else it stops me in my tracks.

I mentioned I bought 2 ipads today well, I hid the white iPad in the boot of the car. After we finished shopping and my partner opened the boot, it was like The Nintendo Kid all over again lol. Good times. Posting from a mobile to 'GAF has never been easier.

MontTrain

Banned
Wow it really is like going into HD.

Just watched a 1080p.mov file in AVplayerHD and it looked insane.

Even just using secondapps here which is where I spend most of the time the text looks perfect. And scrolling is instant.

Saying that most of my photos look worse than iPad 2. It just shows up like the shitty sources they are. Wish I had a SLR. Problem is most things are shitty resolution in comparison.

Top Bottom