• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I guess I'll use the fact that I'm working 12 shifts Friday- Sunday, and won't even be able to use my new iPad for a decent amount of time when I'm home till Monday, to find a case for it.

I was eying the Targus Slim.

um, why is there no siri? sorry. didn't follow the press conference.

?
Here's my impression of how Paradoxal_Utopia would handle your question -

What the fuck is your problem? Why the hell would Apple put Siri on an iPad when it doesn't benefit in usage over the device's large form factor? Why not trust that Apple's developers have attempted it and found it fucking lacking on the device? Why even ask such a stupid question?

I'm so tired of all these trolls. Can we please stop quoting them so I don't see their posts? Thanks.

Takuya

Banned
Here's my impression of how Paradoxal_Utopia would handle your question -

What the fuck is your problem? Why the hell would Apple put Siri on an iPad when it doesn't benefit in usage over the device's large form factor? Why not trust that Apple's developers have attempted it and found it fucking lacking on the device? Why even ask such a stupid question?

I'm so tired of all these trolls. Can we please stop quoting them so I don't see their posts? Thanks.

They didn't put Siri on iPhone 4, but it works fine on it. (jailbroken)

MercuryLS

Banned
Apple will readily replace your iPad if you have backbleed

Yeah, it's not the end of the world. It was bad with iPad 2, I'm hoping it's not as bad with iPad 3.

Apple will replace your unit no questions asked if it has backlight bleed. This is what it looks like:

1299973702.jpeg

(This is a particularly bad example, iPad 2 image btw)

Dynamite Shikoku

Congratulations, you really deserve it!
Yeah, it's not the end of the world. It was bad with iPad 2, I'm hoping it's not as bad with iPad 3.

Apple will replace your unit no questions asked if it has backlight bleed. This is what it looks like:

1299973702.jpeg

(This is a particularly bad example, iPad 2 image btw)

do you only see it when the screen is black?

Also I can confirm that the Nuu BaseCase for iPad 2 does not fit the new iPad. So if you have any rigid rear shells of a similar design for iPad 2, they will probably not fit either. The ones made with slightly more flexible plastic might work though. The BaseCase just cracked beyond repair when I tried it.

Tobor

In store pickup was the jam. 150 people in the main line, 3 in the in store pickup line. They let us in right at 8. Awesome.

AndTAR

Any word on whether Maroo are going to produce their nylon cases without all kinds of screaming patterns/images on them? The case design itself seems really impressive, but I'd wish they made non-leather cases with more neutral aesthetics. There's also resale concerns.

Just arrived at work. First impressions:

As most say, DAT SCREEN! Someone bought their iPad 2 in as they knew I was getting mine and they wanted to compare, side by side the difference is huge.
Cameras is so much better, taking photos with an iPad is ridiculous but at least the pictures are better now.

Can't wait to get home and put my apps/etc on it properly!

soldat7

It's not about color, it's about storage. Get the 32 GB version. Anything else would be silly.

Good grief. The whole 16GB versus 32GB storage thing is WAY overblown. I've rolled with 13.9GB on my freaking Xbox 360 since 2006 and sure, I'd love more space, but I manage. Likewise with my 16GB iPad 2 (and I have a crapton of apps.) Save that extra $100 and put it towards the next iPad iteration, apps, or a man purse. There's no shame or 'silliness' in that. For Pete's sake, some of you people preach against 16GB like it's a carcinogen.

My delivery status was updated to "Out For Delivery" just three minutes after its arrival scan. That means I should have it sometime this morning. Did a back-up of my first gen iPad last night in anticipation. Restoring shouldn't take too long. Looking forward to playing with the new toy.

Good grief. The whole 16GB versus 32GB storage thing is WAY overblown. I've rolled with 13.9GB on my freaking Xbox 360 since 2006 and sure, I'd love more space, but I manage. Likewise with my 16GB iPad 2 (and I have a crapton of apps.) Save that extra $100 and put it towards the next iPad iteration, apps, or a man purse. There's no shame or 'silliness' in that. For Pete's sake, some of you people preach against 16GB like it's a carcinogen.

Yea, Space Management for life. I roll with the tiny Xbox HD from 06 as well.

Guess you didn't get the memo about apps being 50% larger to support the retina display.

kinggroin

Banned
Yay, so I finally got to play with one today at work.

Seems a hair faster at pulling web pages than either the ipad2 or transformer (thebigpicture). UI navigation was virtually identical, screen difference was....not as noticeable as I imagined it to be.

Here's the thing.

Apple claims retina for this device, at about a foot or so away, right? At that distance, its nearly identical to the iPad 2 (at least to my aging eyes).

Bringing it to about six inches from my face, I could barely see a difference with website pictures (high res ones), but text was noticeably sharper. Considering graphic novels and comics are the main source of reading for me on the tablet, I'm thinking I could save $200 and go with an iPad 2 instead.

Decisions decisions.

Tobor

I had 64GB before, and I have 64GB now. That's one way to solve the debate. :p

Yay, so I finally got to play with one today at work.

Seems a hair faster at pulling web pages than either the ipad2 or transformer (thebigpicture). UI navigation was virtually identical, screen difference was....not as noticeable as I imagined it to be.

Here's the thing.

Apple claims retina for this device, at about a foot or so away, right? At that distance, its nearly identical to the iPad 2 (at least to my aging eyes).

Bringing it to about six inches from my face, I could barely see a difference with website pictures (high res ones), but text was noticeably sharper. Considering graphic novels and comics are the main source of reading for me on the tablet, I'm thinking I could save $200 and go with an iPad 2 instead.

Decisions decisions.

did you consider the fact that images have to be retinafied as well?

Top Bottom