• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Took a trip into my town to visit the apple store so I could see a new ipad in person on their test counters, thinking they were sold out.

Walked out the store with a 32GB black 3rd gen ipad and a free starbucks tea, woo!

£479, going to have to live off beans for a bit :)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
It's funny reading reports from the people that lined up at 6pm last night and no one else really lined up with them, haha.

yea on my way home from walmart last night i drove past the verizon store, the mall that has an apple store and best buy and i didnt see any lines. I knew i would be ok to go get inline a little before 7.

Speaking of Apps, everyone post any good apps you see going on sale because of the launch.

hwalker84

Man I just felt like the kid who thought he had an Xbox but it was just clothes inside.

I just received a package at work the size of an iPad shipment. I didn't even look at the carrier or who sent it since the iPad is the only thing I'm expecting today. I open it up and its a god damn router/VPN device from one of my retired co-workers sent from his Florida home :(.

The look on my face was extreme disappointment.

SuperPac

Had to buy the base model new iPad for work. Got to Target about 2 minutes after they opened, walked over to electronics and picked up a 16GB black wifi model (they only had that and the same color/size + LTE, no others). There were maybe 6 people there, and it looked like they had about 8 of each of the two models. One guy was trying to buy multiple iPads but they shut him down.

Easiest day 1 Apple purchasing experience ever. :)

My preordered 64GB black wifi + LTE is out for delivery!

Blackhead

Redarse
I've been waiting for this moment for months to finally read the EDGE mags properly (click images for full retina):

The app isn't yet updated for retina but the images should be scaled, right? Goddam, I can read two pages in landscape without zooming in :0

The only problem is that it's very slow. Some pages take ages to render; some didn't weren't rendered properly at all :(

I hope the app is updated soon for better performance but I'm quite happy with my purchase right now. The screen delivers.

Yaska

I still can't pre-order the new iPad in my country. No pre-orders for March 23 countries I guess.

Yeah, it's really weird. No preorders for Finland nor Sweden (the ones I checked). My store briefly had preorder up, and I still have my order in. But would think that they would take some orders today.

Mine said "Not charging" with the 4S usb cord, so I swapped with the new usb cord, it said charging for about ten minutes, and now it's back to saying "Not Charging" :-/

Are you charging through the wall or with another computer? Unless the USB port is configured for extra output your iPad won't even charge unless the screen is off. And even then it's really damn slow compared to a wall brick.

dream

How does ordering AppleCare+ over the phone work? I probably won't get a chance to get to an Apple Store this week, so I'd rather just order the thing over the phone (which seems to be an option according to their site).

no_to_co

Don't read books; PDFs I store on Dropbox. Don't read comics. Movies, tv shows, and music I stream from my network since the iPad doesn't leave the house.

Same here! I have a 3TB net appliance that does that for me inc. photos. No need to get anything bigger 16GB. And it it ever leaves the house, I'll tether it to my phone.

ps. Love they screen! Best reading experience ever!

undecided

Just walked into best buy in north Austin (360&183) and grabbed an LTE model..

They had no wait and just about every model in stock.. Cage had at least 50 but some may be accounted for with tickets.

Tobor

I think people need to understand that as far as charging goes, the iPad is the same as a laptop. You wouldn't expect to charge a laptop over USB.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
IPad turned up just after I got back from the Kingston apple store to pick up a smart cover. Now restoring and then to update the 212 apps in iTunes and do some housekeeping

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have 14 days to decide if I want to keep this 32 gb wifi or get a 16 gb lte. Loving the screen man.

We may be doing a decent amount of traveling during the summer so having a decent speed mobile hotspot may be a godsend.

the screen might not be as high DPI as an iphone retina screen but damn if it's not easy to tell a difference, such a nice screen.

I am happy to be a proud ipad owner finally.

Are you charging through the wall or with another computer? Unless the USB port is configured for extra output your iPad won't even charge unless the screen is off. And even then it's really damn slow compared to a wall brick.

I came here to ask this-thanks.

Is the wall brick the same output as the iPhone and iPod Touch ones, or do I now need two chargers when I travel?

Badgerst3

AT&T or Verizon consensus for 4g/lte?

Live in SoCal. Want to get what I pay for and roam a ton for work.

Real time map function/ gps coverage vital.

Clott

Just got mine in the mail, but I can't open it I gotta run to work and the gym, oh well it will be here when I get back

so I went to Verizon this morning at 6 am.. I was first there.. (before the employees.. who got there at 7 am).. at 8.. I'm told "all of our 64 GB ipads are spoken for.. sorry".. come to find out they took names down on a list earlier in the week.. so there was absolutely no point to going there early..

I settled for a 32 (which was already spoken for, but the person was a no-show).. and went to get breakfast.. on a lark, I went to best buy.. saw a pretty big line.. (about 9:20).. decided to stand in line for a bit.. about 10 minutes after I got there, they came out with a bunch of envelopes on a cart.. claim tickets..

I was (easily) able to get a 64 GB Verizon claim ticket.. so I decided to kill time by going to return the 32GB that I had purchased an hr and a half ago..

it took Verizon 20 minutes to do the return and they tried to charge me a $70 restocking fee for an UNOPENED ipad!

What a shitty company.. I always feel like I'm leaving a used car dealership when I walk out of a Verizon store. It makes me glad that I'm not a Verizon customer for cell service.

kaskade

so I went to Verizon this morning at 6 am.. I was first there.. (before the employees.. who got there at 7 am).. at 8.. I'm told "all of our 64 GB ipads are spoken for.. sorry".. come to find out they took names down on a list earlier in the week.. so there was absolutely no point to going there early..

I settled for a 32 (which was already spoken for, but the person was a no-show).. and went to get breakfast.. on a lark, I went to best buy.. saw a pretty big line.. (about 9:20).. decided to stand in line for a bit.. about 10 minutes after I got there, they came out with a bunch of envelopes on a cart.. claim tickets..

I was (easily) able to get a 64 GB Verizon claim ticket.. so I decided to kill time by going to return the 32GB that I had purchased an hr and a half ago..

it took Verizon 20 minutes to do the return and they tried to charge me a $70 restocking fee for an UNOPENED ipad!

What a shitty company.. I always feel like I'm leaving a used car dealership when I walk out of a Verizon store. It makes me glad that I'm not a Verizon customer for cell service.
A restocking fee? What the hell? It's not like they aren't going to sell it the same day.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

Welcome to mobile networks. The lowest of the low.

What are the chances Apple Stores in London will have them in stock in the mornings this week?

The store in Reading had loads laid out with tickets on the counter, you had to claim a ticket to buy one.

No idea about london but i'd not be surprised if they sell out saturday morning.

Lynn616

fcvzM.jpg

Mine!

Tobor

They doubled the battery, they should have doubled the charge rate of the wall charger.

I don't think that's possible using the existing dock connector. Assuming that's the case, I'll take compatibility with all my cables and existing chargers over a shorter charge time.

Just received my squint-for-Retina iPad 3. It feels heavier in the hands, but fits perfectly in the same leather folio case I used for my iPad 2. In the process of restoring from my iCloud backup now.

First impressions:

Screen is sharper.
It's an iPad.
Feels heavier in hands.
Fits in folio and back silicone case from iPad 2.
Comes charged close to 100%.

zou

Local Apple store had a few units in stock, so I decided to grab one. The screen is great, though to be honest, it's only really noticeably with ebooks (which I read on my kindle) and websites in portrait mode. Unfortunately the ipad for me is too heavy to comfortably hold with one hand, so I'm not getting much out of that. And yeah, the yellow tint is annoying.

Might be the first device that I end up returning. And I kept both my playbook and some shitty lenovo android tablet :p (though the latter was a mistake ;)).

BigDug13

I think the iPad charger is 10w while most USB ports are 5w. Even many third party wall plugs for iPods are only 5w output. Some computers can do 10w output on their USB if you enable it...sometimes through a third party application.

Also, ive found that in a pinch, the iPad will still gain battery power when it says "not charging". It's just ridiculously slow in doing so. I've used one of those external ipod battery chargers to keep my iPad going during a 14 hour flight from tokyo to new York. Even after watching a show on azul while saying "not charging" in the corner, by the end of my episode the battery number is higher than before.

I can't tell the difference in PPI between the new iPad and my iPhone 4.

Ban refrigerator.

Perhaps you should have your eyeglass prescription updated? I just updated my monocle with a new prescription and I feel like a new person. Besides for having sharper vision, having a new scratch-free lens imparts amazing clarity in the world around me. It's as if I had my own little Retina upgrade, if you will.

You're right, though. From 3 feet it's hard to tell any difference between this display and the iPhone 4S. I'm pleasantly surprised by this discovery!

Top Bottom