• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

123rl

I just put some 720p cartoons on my iPad. Holy shucking fit! It practically jumps off the screen. It is SO vibrant and crisp. Seriously try and find some HD animation on Youtube because just...wow

ms7ZP.jpg

I can handle my own purchasing decisions.

AndTAR

Good grief. The whole 16GB versus 32GB storage thing is WAY overblown. I've rolled with 13.9GB on my freaking Xbox 360 since 2006 and sure, I'd love more space, but I manage. Likewise with my 16GB iPad 2 (and I have a crapton of apps.) Save that extra $100 and put it towards the next iPad iteration, apps, or a man purse. There's no shame or 'silliness' in that. For Pete's sake, some of you people preach against 16GB like it's a carcinogen.
Word. While I do not store large amounts of pictures or movies on my 16GB, I still figure that, at worst, I'd just have to boil down my app collection a bit. The actual apps that I use daily would certainly fit no matter what, I find it more a question of "how many random heavy games stored locally at once".

I agree with this..BUT...if you have 3-4 pages of apps + pdfs, ebooks, comics, etc, it fills up

That's fine, but then when someone is asking what size they should get, we shouldn't be saying 16gb is too small! We should be asking what they will be using their iPad for. Experiences vary and 16gb isn't necessarily too small for everyone, as Soldat7 and myself have said.

Also, the same arguement could have been made for the iPad one if we are trying to fill it up with all the things. The iPad has been too small since inception! Apple is going downhill!

kinggroin

Banned
did you consider the fact that images have to be retinafied as well?

...I guess.

I'm not sure how 1200p res pics wouldn't show a difference, but my comics aren't even that. Movies either.

I mean, I could look for 8MP pics on Google images, but that's kinda pointless, no?

I just need to play around some more, doing things I would normally do and see if the price premium for dat screen, is worth it.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Just got back from Meadowhall. We were the first 10 in, so did the high-five/cheer run, which I missed last time. It was surreal! But the staff were excellent and full of energy, and now I can GO TO SLEEP!

But I had to change the lockscreen first :)

ipadlock.png
Love it, except i can't be the only one that feels dirty handing anything with this on it to my gf mom or anyone for that matter.

Second in line at Best buy out of 5 total. 7:14 local time in htown.

For comparison sake this same best buy had over 100 people in line last year for the 2.
success! got my ticket at 7:40ish gtfo there went home and took some Z's ill mosey on into best buy and pick up my 32gig white Verizon 4G later today.

Vyer

That's fine, but then when someone is asking what size they should get, we shouldn't be saying 16gb is too small! We should be asking what they will be using their iPad for. Experiences vary and 16gb isn't necessarily too small for everyone, as Soldat7 and myself have said.

Also, the same arguement could have been made for the iPad one if we are trying to fill it up with all the things. The iPad has been too small since inception! Apple is going downhill!

True, but there have been a few comments in here about app size adjusted for the new res are considerably larger. Obviously we don't know yet how universal that is, but it's at least something to consider.

Blackhead

Redarse
GAF is perfectly readable in portrait mode :O my retinas!!

Sidenote: what's up with the default zoom position when loading pages on GAF? I noticed that the page is always zoomed in when browsing on an iPhone and Galaxy Nexus but wasn't expecting it to be like this on an iPad. No matter, zooming out is soo smooth.

Edit: plugged into my MacBook air and the battery is still draining. It came with 80%, now down to 77% :/

BFIB

I don't NEED an iPad, but I have some extra money this month, and I have to run up to the store on lunch.

I will have the willpower to refuse......I really hope they're out of stock!

Posting from the new iPad. The screen is glorious, but as a former OG iPad user I'm more happy about the speed. I don't think I wanna use my old iPad anymore.

Though I have to say, the OG iPad is still more comfortable to hold.

Cheebo

Banned
I don't NEED an iPad, but I have some extra money this month, and I have to run up to the store on lunch.

I will have the willpower to refuse......I really hope they're out of stock!

If you didn't wait in line before the store opened then it'll be long gone.

Just got mine from UPS. Meanwhile two blocks away there are hundreds of people in line at the Apple Store. It doesn't feel particularly different from my iPad 2, but there is this subtle slickness to the display that is pretty incredible with the right material.

feelsgoodman.gif

hirokazu

Hmmm, this new iPad doesn't show up in iTunes for Wi-Fi Sync. As soon as I unplug it from the Mac, it disappears from iTunes. I've tried deselecting the Wi-Fi option in iTunes and reselecting it, resyncing each time I do so, but nothing.

Any suggestions? :(

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Been reading macrumors this morning and most people are saying the stores aren't jam packed and have a lot more stock due to preorders. I might stroll around and see if I can grab one after work today. If not I'll get one in a few weeks. Hopefully they are still available later this afternoon.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
By the way, after calling around like crazy it seems as though Apple is limiting the number of white iPads to 3rd party retailers. Walmart is getting primarily Black, as it Target, as is Verizon Stores. Haven't called Best Buys yet because I assume they are sold out.

Only whites people had were the low end 16GB.

Looks like if you have any desire of getting a higher end white model, Apple is your only bet?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Been reading macrumors this morning and most people are saying the stores aren't jam packed and have a lot more stock due to preorders. I might stroll around and see if I can grab one after work today. If not I'll get one in a few weeks. Hopefully they are still available later this afternoon.

this was my impression from what i posted above. The same best buy had over 100 people in line last year, today there was 5. Its in a pretty nice area of town too.

Zeth

Posted up near my front door for as long as necessary. So far I've heard about 5 vehicles pass with a FedEx truck sound profile, sigh.

aparisi2274

I preordered mine on the 8th for a pickup at the Apple Store in the Staten Island Mall. I'll go after work to get mine. No need to stand outside in the crappy weather....

Posted up near my front door for as long as necessary. So far I've heard about 5 vehicles pass with a FedEx truck sound profile, sigh.

Doing the same thing. I live on a busy street so this is really killing me whenever I hear a Fedex type vehicle drive by which is fairly often.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
this was my impression from what i posted above. The same best buy had over 100 people in line last year, today there was 5. Its in a pretty nice area of town too.

It's funny reading reports from the people that lined up at 6pm last night and no one else really lined up with them, haha.

I think it's a sign that a lot of people pre-ordered online more than it is any potential launch failure. If that's being insinuated anywhere.

codhand

Mine said "Not charging" with the 4S usb cord, so I swapped with the new usb cord, it said charging for about ten minutes, and now it's back to saying "Not Charging" :-/

Incidentally and most likely LTTP, but do people know you can add the emoticon keyboard under Keyboards > Emoji ? Sorry I'm sure it's old but I just found out last weekend.

Also people complaining about 16gb, are you aware you can rent iCloud space? I know, I know, but if it's that big a deal, a solution does exists.

Appleman

MacRumors has reports of a couple people that had iPad's on the exact same shipments as me, which are now out for delivery. I mustn't be in the first batch but I neeeeeeed an early shipment!

Top Bottom