• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Mine has been "On FedEx vehicle for delivery" for over 4 hours now, and it was just one town away. I feel like they are trolling me :(

My packages always say that at 6 am in the morning and dont arrive until 8 pm sometimes. I think they just scan it because it is outgoing and it may not actually be on the truck yet.

BFIB

so I went to Verizon this morning at 6 am.. I was first there.. (before the employees.. who got there at 7 am).. at 8.. I'm told "all of our 64 GB ipads are spoken for.. sorry".. come to find out they took names down on a list earlier in the week.. so there was absolutely no point to going there early..

I settled for a 32 (which was already spoken for, but the person was a no-show).. and went to get breakfast.. on a lark, I went to best buy.. saw a pretty big line.. (about 9:20).. decided to stand in line for a bit.. about 10 minutes after I got there, they came out with a bunch of envelopes on a cart.. claim tickets..

I was (easily) able to get a 64 GB Verizon claim ticket.. so I decided to kill time by going to return the 32GB that I had purchased an hr and a half ago..

it took Verizon 20 minutes to do the return and they tried to charge me a $70 restocking fee for an UNOPENED ipad!

What a shitty company.. I always feel like I'm leaving a used car dealership when I walk out of a Verizon store. It makes me glad that I'm not a Verizon customer for cell service.

Verizon and ATT are notorious for this. I had to return my previous iPhone to ATT for a service issue (sim card slot wouldn't work) and they actually attempted to charge a restocking fee, for a defective item, that I was getting replaced.

I just would have held onto it, and sold it. Heck, even on GAF you could have gotten what you paid for it, and it would have went to someone who got left out in the cold.

railGUN

Banned
My iPad was in Richmond at 3am, no update since then (i'm a few hours away from Richmond), so I called UPS to see if they could tell me if it was going to be delivered today, and she said that they were awaiting instructions from Apple... WTF? Then she said it was in their small package network or something, so I asked if it was local and she said yes, but I don't see how that is possible given the time it would take to travel to where I live. I'm very unimpressed with UPS Canada and their tracking / customer service.

So I just called my local Apple store, and felt like a complete idiotic asking if they still had stock, knowing that they probably sold out 5 seconds after opening. To my complete shock, the answer was 'We have plenty of stock and will probably last throughout the weekend'. So, I'm off to the Apple store, and I was not expecting to get one today at all. Fuck yes.

Either Apple moved a metric SHIT-TON of units, or pre-orders were through the roof- or both. I don't remember this situation for ANY major Apple product where I could just walk in on launch day and pick one up.

what case is this?

41o7Xpbds2L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005AF7GZM/

It's a cheap one with not the best buttons but for the £15 I paid for it I like it, clips with the ipad when not in use to protect the screen, has rubber feet on the inside to not damage the ipad, firm grip.

I will buy a better one in the future but spent this months funds on an ipad :)

I just got back from the Apple store where I was comparing my iPad 2 to the new one. I'll have to upload a quick picture I snapped with my iPhone later but the display on the new one was noticeably warmer in color temperature than mine when comparing a web page. Basically, the white looked much whiter on my iPad 2. I would say it was more drastic a difference than even the resolution. Both devices were set to max brightness.

I think I noticed this in the past when comparing newer iPhones to older ones. Do the displays always take time "cool off?"

Anyway, I'm waiting till next gen to upgrade anyway because I wanted an HD FaceTime camera, not a better a rear camera.

Oh, walked out with an Apple TV. :)

BFIB

My Best Buy has every model in stock. They said they received around 500 total, mostly 32GB Wi-Fi models.

This is in St. Louis BTW.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I just got back from the Apple store where I was comparing my iPad 2 to the new one. I'll have to upload a quick picture I snapped with my iPhone later but the display on the new one was noticeably warmer in color temperature than mine when comparing a web page. Basically, the white looked much whiter on my iPad 2. I would say it was more drastic a difference than even the resolution. Both devices were set to max brightness.

I think I noticed this in the past when comparing newer iPhones to older ones. Do the displays always take time "cool off?"

Anyway, I'm waiting till next gen to upgrade anyway because I wanted an HD FaceTime camera, not a better a rear camera.

Oh, walked out with an Apple TV. :)

The 4s is warmer than the 4 too. I don't expect them to go cooler for displays in the future/

Weenerz

Banned
Returned the 16gb wifi I picked up and ended up finding a Wal-Mart that wasn't open 24/7, so they had plenty of 32gb wifi. Happy days!

georgc

well in a apple store now. There was a problem where i iPad was here the whole time and they said that it wasn't now i get a free smart cover. Score bow i have to drive home and start playing with my new iPad. Also anyone looking for iPad go to a best buy the one by my house had plenty left.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
To those who say they see little difference between the iPad 2 and the new iPad screens need to get their eyes checked. The initial login screens when you first turn it on are unspectacular, but once everything boots up, the screen is SPECTACULAR. Websites look sharp, the text is so crisp. The Retina display is freaking awesome. I don't notice any yellowing on the screen either.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Anyone in Portland, OR go to the Pioneer Square Apple Store this morning? I am just curious to see how it went as I work just blocks from their on the waterfront.

Shiv47

Much like the iPad 1, I simply walked into the store and bought one without waiting in any line of any kind. With the first iPad, it was an Apple Store, this time was a Best Buy. Maybe I've been lucky. At any rate, it was time to retire the first gen iPad. It served me well. <salutes>

So I just called my local Apple store, and felt like a complete idiotic asking if they still had stock, knowing that they probably sold out 5 seconds after opening. To my complete shock, the answer was 'We have plenty of stock and will probably last throughout the weekend'. So, I'm off to the Apple store, and I was not expecting to get one today at all. Fuck yes.

Either Apple moved a metric SHIT-TON of units, or pre-orders were through the roof- or both. I don't remember this situation for ANY major Apple product where I could just walk in on launch day and pick one up.
Tim Cook, SUPPLY CHAIN GOD.

Blackhead

Redarse
mine is with zinio and it currently looks awful still because the zinio app is still... shhit

:/

Couldn't you download the Edge PDF from Zinio and then read that instead?! I had to do that for the Engadget Distro. The app is fuzzy but the PDF from the website is just right.

LCfiner

I've been waiting for this moment for months to finally read the EDGE mags properly (click images for full retina):

The app isn't yet updated for retina but the images should be scaled, right? Goddam, I can read two pages in landscape without zooming in :0

The only problem is that it's very slow. Some pages take ages to render; some didn't weren't rendered properly at all :(

I hope the app is updated soon for better performance but I'm quite happy with my purchase right now. The screen delivers.

Yeah, with the new screen, I can read a page without zooming into the tiny columns.

A faster CPU mitt have helped this speed issue with the text rendering but I&#8217;ll take this for now. It reads quite well. I can&#8217;t quite read comfortable in landscape for this mag, but portrait is super clear. excellent.

edit: other mags out there are not scaling, of course, since the text was pre-rendered as an image. even the pop sci mag, which I thought might have had native text rendering (I knew the other mags were all static). nope.

To those who say they see little difference between the iPad 2 and the new iPad screens need to get their eyes checked. The initial login screens when you first turn it on are unspectacular, but once everything boots up, the screen is SPECTACULAR. Websites look sharp, the text is so crisp. The Retina display is freaking awesome. I don't notice any yellowing on the screen either.

this is all true. then go look at videos and photos. I'm sure a HD video will look great; but you're not going to want to carry those around with you. The difference in these instances are negligible. My videos on the new Ipad look like they do on ipad2; They're not at the resolution to take advantage nor do I want to fill up my ipad with all those HD files.

and if i'm home where I can airvideo a HD vid...I'd much rather just watch it on the big tv anyhow.

SyNapSe

It's been on a truck since 7 a.m. shipped to corporate so they probably have a daily time they come by each day. I think it's in the afternoon

Sean

Banned
My packages always say that at 6 am in the morning and dont arrive until 8 pm sometimes. I think they just scan it because it is outgoing and it may not actually be on the truck yet.

That sucks, really hope it doesn't take until 8 PM for FedEx to deliver, I am anxious to play with a new gadget. With UPS I usually receive packages first thing in the morning.

I probably should've done in-store pickup.

GTI Guy

WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My package is at FedEx in my area as of today but now has a delivery exception!

I called FedEx and they claim that APPLE requested a delay!

They will not deliver to me!!!!!!

DIE FEDEX DIE!

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
proud new owner of 32gig white Verizon.

This is what best buy had
photo.jpg

I really think apple produced a shit ton more this time around. Last year there were no preorders and everything was sold out by friday night.

I would say you could probably walk in later today to a lot of stores and pick one up if you want one. Oh, yea, this is best buy near memorial city mall for Htown gaf.

DIE FEDEX DIE!

Mar 16, 2012 8:31 AM
On FedEx vehicle for delivery

Estimated delivery Mar 16, 2012 by 3:00 PM

*crosses fingers*

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

DIE FEDEX DIE!

Surely the fault of Apple, not FeDex.

BFIB

I think after the last iPad launch, and the delays it took to get one if you didn't preorder, Apple wanted to do right this time around.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Back from Best Buy with THE PRECIOUS! Upgraded to a 32GB White w/Verizon LTE instead of just WiFi. I HAVE to know what it's like to be online all the time with this thing.

Going to be returning my 32GB that's supposedly showing up sometime today. Glad I didn't have to wait.

Installing all the apps now. BROWSING GAF ON THIS THING IS GLORIOUS FUCKK!!!

GTI Guy

Surely the fault of Apple, not FeDex.

Called apple and they said they did NOT request any delay on delivery.

FedEx was probably just too busy to handle all of the orders and decided to not deliver.

I asked FedEx if I can just pick it up then and they said NO.

This is so lame.

MrDenny

DIE FEDEX DIE!

What the hell, mine's in my city but it just got delayed too.

Hopefully everyone is doing a fresh install on their new iPad, and not boning their new device out of the gate with a restore/backup. I never understand why people do that anyway.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Called apple and they said they did NOT request any delay on delivery.

FedEx was probably just too busy to handle all of the orders and decided to not deliver.

I asked FedEx if I can just pick it up then and they said NO.

This is so lame.

That's fucked up. Go out a buy a new one from another shop and return the other one when it eventually turns up stating the reason why to Apple.

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
Hopefully everyone is doing a fresh install on their new iPad, and not boning their new device out of the gate with a restore/backup. I never understand why people do that anyway.

Just dug through all 300+ apps I've purchased and installed the good ones. Whole process took maybe 20 mins. Verizon account setup and posting over LTE now. Shit is blazing!

RAWRRRRR

cyberheater

Why wouldn't you do that?

GTI Guy

That's fucked up. Go out a buy a new one from another shop and return the other one when it eventually turns up stating the reason why to Apple.

Thought about that, but I don't want to deal with the lines. I did the preorder specifically to avoid the lines. Fuuuuuu!!!!

Can anyone else give their experiences of app store, earlier folk said you no longer get kicked out after installing an app yet mine takes me straight out

mrklaw

MrArseFace

Its not like an OSX backup though right? Basically just apps and settings. I did go through and trim out a bunch of apps before syncing - still 12gb of apps

Top Bottom