• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Zeth

I think after the last iPad launch, and the delays it took to get one if you didn't preorder, Apple wanted to do right this time around.

I'd say that's a solid assumption considering they were selling every single iPad they could make for most of last year.

blackflag

Damn you fools scaring me with these delivery exceptions.

Mine says out for delivery. They best come. Usually they don't get here till late afternoon so I have awhile to wait.

Hopefully everyone is doing a fresh install on their new iPad, and not boning their new device out of the gate with a restore/backup. I never understand why people do that anyway.

1password passwords
emails
documents
dropbox
etc etc
atomic browser history/link/tabs
etc

save games. etc

plenty of reason to backup/restore.

8:48 AM - On FedEx vehicle for delivery

Hl6TNs.jpg

9:14 AM - Delivery exception - Future delivery requested

SVtPhs.jpg

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Hopefully everyone is doing a fresh install on their new iPad, and not boning their new device out of the gate with a restore/backup. I never understand why people do that anyway.

why? I dont want to have to spend time to get it exactly how my ipad 2 was, including email, background photo, apps, app organization, it even remembered my wifi password for my home network, keeps all your saved game progress, even auto logs me into words and scramble. ive also been updating apps as they get released, not a big deal.

What's the downside to restoring from a backup?
there isnt one.

Dictation thing is pretty sweet. I might use it all the time.

(Using it now).
Yeah I think that might be the feature that will cause the iPad to supplant my MBA as my main couch device. It's nice to have a proper keyboard for writing tweets and posts and stuff, but with the dictation feature who needs it?

hwalker84

Got mine. Now the wait till I go home and restore all my Apps. I only have 30 mins from the time i get home to get my iPad ready and pack for my flight.

ParityBit

What about all your saved data? At this point I have no idea what is saved on the cloud vs my actual iPad 2. I am still not sure the best way to transfer myself over to the new iPad. I have like 200 apps and random saves

mollipen

1password passwords
emails
documents
dropbox
etc etc
atomic browser history/link/tabs
etc

save games. etc

plenty of reason to backup/restore.
Shouldn't be using password managers that store passwords.
Email should be IMAP, and thus no need for a restore.
Dropbox will auto-sync all of your stuff anyhow.

Your other points are valid though. Still, I totally agree with the idea of starting fresh.

why? I dont want to have to spend time to get it exactly how my ipad 2 was, including email, background photo, apps, app organization, it even remembered my wifi password for my home network. ive also been updating apps as they get released, not a big deal

Apple actually recommend you don't do a restore when moving from one gen device to another - at least for iPhone. It is supposed to take a small percentage off preformance

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Also, if you read a lot of research papers the screen is a godsend. Some of my fellow grad students and I were comparing the old screen with the new hotness.

Its no contest. Gonna love reading papers on this thing.

What is going on is that you will need to find something to do for a few days (FedEx doesn't deliver on weekends).
If you live close enough to the depot you can pick it up yourself this afternoon. Some of them are open on Saturday I believe.

sorry if this is a dumb question but ive never had 2 iOS devices at once so I was wondering how iTunes handles that because I do not want all the same apps on both devices, also will it make separate backups for each device?

8:48 AM - On FedEx vehicle for delivery

Hl6TNs.jpg

9:14 AM - Delivery exception - Future delivery requested

SVtPhs.jpg

if this was going to be a problem and they're not doing deliveries on Saturday, then FedEx should have communicated this to Apple so that they could do deliveries starting on Thursday rather than trying to do them all on Friday. It's unacceptable.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
sorry if this is a dumb question but ive never had 2 iOS devices at once so I was wondering how iTunes handles that because I do not want all the same apps on both devices, also will it make separate backups for each device?
It knows the difference between the devices.

Cheebo

Banned
What is going on is that you will need to find something to do for a few days (FedEx doesn't deliver on weekends).

How can FedEx get away with this though? It is in town and Apple sent it early (been sitting here in town for days) just to make sure I and everyone else get it today.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

Yes. I tunes manages each device separately. You can different music/vids/apps on each device. Basically pick on choose what you want on there.

Aroo

Neo Member
If you were to turn off the LTE/3G on the new iPad, would it get the same battery life as the wifi only version?

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
for all the flipboard lovers out there, just got a notification that it has been updated for Retina pad.

Well I dunno guys... I'm not blown away. The pixel density is fantastic for text and photos, but that's about it. Everything else is kinda worse than iPad 2. It does feel slightly sluggish compared to the 2. But bear in mind that I am someone highly sensitive to things like frame drops in games. Everything on this so far, even the initial set-up process when it pulls down the list of countries... felt like a slightly lower framerate. And pretty much every image on the web that isn't super high res looks worse. For instance, the NeoGAF logo in the top right there. And the Gaming/Off-Topic/Community tab surrounds... they have a softness now relative to the text because of the massive difference in resolution.

Only the Apple site looks right on this screen, because the images and text are all the same clarity.

It hasn't yet got to the point of feeling like it's struggling, but it's definitely not as smooth in many many situations.

SuperPac

Oh damn. FedEx tried to deliver, apparently no one was at my apartment's leasing office to sign for the damn thing. So now I get to go to the depot later. FANTASTIC. :'(

Top Bottom