• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

I heard a similar line, that this is just minor updates and it's essentially an iPad 2.5, from one of my friends. My question is what the fuck could Apple have introduced in the new iPad that would have satisfied people like my friend and Matt Hartley? I can understand how the ram, 4g, gpu and camera could be seen as minor updates but are people really not impressed by this screen?

Haptics dude. Haptics.

lol?

rekameohs

Banned
I heard a similar line, that this is just minor updates and it's essentially an iPad 2.5, from one of my friends. My question is what the fuck could Apple have introduced in the new iPad that would have satisfied people like my friend and Matt Hartley? I can understand how the ram, 4g, gpu and camera could be seen as minor updates but are people really not impressed by this screen?

I honestly think it's just because they've chosen not to brand it the "iPad 3"

I don't even see how ANY of those are minor updates.

3G>LTE = huge
camera= 0.7MP>5MP with much better optics
RAM= double
GPU= double the cores, 2x performance

Maybe the definitions of 'minor' and 'incremental' have changed recently, but the above is not something I would think falls under those categories. 'minor' is like an improvement of 10%. None of the updates here are minor, even excluding the screen. You'd think these asshole pundits would learn from the iPhone 4S ,which was MUCH more minor of an update than this, and which they concluded was the end of Apple and would incur an underwhelming response. Yeah, how did that turn out. Now, a massive update and these analysts are parroting the same shit. Amazing.

Managed to order my white 32gb wifi. It's on track for the 16th and I'm having it shipped to my office so that I can ensure that someone's around to sign for it.

Time to start looking at a cover for it now.
3AQmK.gif

lenovox1

I am new to the whole 3G/4G thing. Was wondering if I could get some help with this. I want a 4G iPad and I was wondering what carrier I should got with. I live in Erie, PA if that matters. AT&T or Verizon?

I checked the coverage maps for you, and AT&T doesn't have 4G in your area. So. . . you've only really got one choice now.

Midas

Come on Apple. We in the countries that gets the new iPad on March 23rd would like to pre-order as well.

noah111

Still Alive
3- I'm assuming they decided to drop the numbering scheme all together. My prediction? They're gonna phase out the iPad 2 this year, drop the size, and rename it iPad mini or whatever (7.85") which will retain the 1024x768 resolution and that price-point. These 2 sizes will be refreshed and replaced on a yearly basis. I'd bet money on this if I could.
It's called stock.

But seriously, I agree 100%. I even think with the advent of iCloud and the streaming capabilities in its future, we will also get an 8GB iPad 'mini' or some sort for $299.

Timbuktu

I can't believe people would spread rumours like haptic on the last day and then feel disappointed without it. I guess the financial pages wanted it so that Apple can keep up its growth which it has decided to be impossible in any case. There is no way Apple can maintain that marketshare, they think and they're never impressed until Apple shows sales figures and record breaking numbers.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So if I place my order for instore pick up right now, will it charge me $700 right this instant or on the 16th when I go to pick up?
That would be a good thing for me to know.

noah111

Still Alive
Why, is the exact amount of RAM a make or break thing will which decide whether you purchase the iPad? Seriously.
No, as an iPad 1 owner I would have bought this even if it was using the same internal specs as iPad 2. Still, i'd like to read up on it. u mad bro?

And that link doesn't really confirm it, but i'll believe it.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
So not to nag.. but if I place my order right now is it going to charge me tonight or next friday? Just curious.

So not to nag.. but if I place my order right now is it going to charge me tonight or next friday? Just curious.

They'll probably put a hold on your card to make sure you have the cash/credit available.. it will fall off in a few days and they'll charge your card for real just before they ship.

Assume that you'll be charged now.

Enco

Mega :lol at the people saying the update isn't much.

What are you smoking guys? What did you want? A built in fridge with free beer? A built in printer?

This is pretty much the most you can ask of a tablet. At least for now. The hardware is amazing and the whole thing is sexy as fuck.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
High end? :lol It doesn't even have stereo sound.

Aaron

Mega :lol at the people saying the update isn't much.

What are you smoking guys? What did you want? A built in fridge with free beer? A built in printer?

This is pretty much the most you can ask of a tablet. At least for now. The hardware is amazing and the whole thing is sexy as fuck.
It should weigh nothing and be powered by fairies.

Honestly though, owning an ipad2 the retina and power bump doesn't interest me. If they had announced a separate 7 inch sku then Apple would take more of my money. As much as I like the pad, the size and weight is an issue for some uses.
High end? :lol It doesn't even have stereo sound.
Wait, it's still only one speaker? WTF Apple? I assumed they would have fixed that glaring flaw.

I'm convinced the only people who don't think it's a significant improvement are existing iPad owners who are in denial having watched the resale value of current iPads tumble.
Sell a week before announcement, buy new iPad. Repeat each year.

Enco

It should weigh nothing and be powered by fairies.

Honestly though, owning an ipad2 the retina and power bump doesn't interest me. If they had announced a separate 7 inch sku then Apple would take more of my money. As much as I like the pad, the size and weight is an issue for some uses.

Wait, it's still only one speaker? WTF Apple? I assumed they would have fixed that glaring flaw.

I agree the iPad 2 is still brilliant and absolutely fine for most people.

To say there's not much of an upgrade is completely ridiculous though.

ZoddGutts

Going to get a iPad 3. What's the best wireless keyboard to get for it? And what's the best vid playing app that can play srt. subtitles.

Blackhead

Redarse
innovation that creates complexity isn’t a win. some of the things you mention would be nice but they can be handled in software or by third parties.

wacom isn’t happening. it’s against the whole concept of the ipad being simple and intuitive with no extra hardware between you and the screen.

NFC will happen eventually.

iPhone and iPad connectivity exists already to some extent with iCloud pushing data between devices. they can do more here but iOS updates (and maybe NFC) will be a part of it.

I think they’re done with keyboard docks. there’s wireless BT keyboards and cases with built in keyboards.

they will never do anything to make it work like a macbook pro. that just makes things more complicated and it’s not why the ipad is popular.

the ipad hardware is always going to remain simple. it’s designed to get out of the way. it’s the future iOS updates and the new apps (that iPhoto demo was awesome) that will showcase creativity.

Now that we got that retina screen, I can just get excited for iOS reveals in the summer and just nod along with the hardware improvements.
The keyboard dock was so simple to use, much simpler than Bluetooth keyboards or cases. :/

mrklaw

MrArseFace
got my preorder in, now need to consider covers. Previously had an ipad 1 with macally bookstand cover, which fell to bits pretty quickly, but provided nice protection

I have no experience with smart covers. They look really nice, but we have a glass coffee table so I'm wondering whether it'd be better to have somethign that covers the back - not to protect the ipad (I'm fine with it naked), just to avoid scratches/damage to the coffee table.

Any suggestions?

noah111

Still Alive
Anyone else find it interesting that iPhoto is 100+MB? Seems excessive for a photo app, so i'm wondering how much of that is due to retina support.

Anyone else find it interesting that iPhoto is 100+MB? Seems excessive for a photo app, so i'm wondering how much of that is due to retina support.

Yo Sentry, how small is your Photoshop?

Mine's like 370 megs and that's without retina support. Adobe is totally hogging my hard-drive for a silly photo app.

Number45

Manufactures of ipad 2 cases are making separate cases for the ipad 3. example
Of course they are, they don't want you to use what you have they want you to buy a new one.
How do you effectively do stereo in a device that can change its orientation? Have more than two speakers, or assume that people only want stereo in landscape mode?

Hmmmm so after I managed to order one last night on the UK Apple store, where it went to the 'oops' page many times during 'processing', I woke up this morning to find two confirmation emails, with two separate order numbers.

So now I'm wondering... should I cancel one... or just let both of them arrive...

Two reasons:

1) I had a problem with three iPad 2s for backlight bleed, so I have two chances for it to be right...

2) They're in high demand so... I might be able to sell one on without any loss... maybe even a profit?

What does the mighty GAF reckon?

amrihua

Just ordered 32GB White. Tomorrow I'll make the payment and it should arrive within this month I hope.

I dunno if it has 1GB if RAM or not. It doesn't have a quad core CPU and still has the same storage options as it did 2 years ago. Oh well...

noah111

Still Alive
Yo Sentry, how small is your Photoshop?

Mine's like 370 megs and that's without retina support. Adobe is totally hogging my hard-drive for a silly photo app.
Hur hur, just comparing it to one most popular 'heavy' photo editor out there, Snapspeed, which comes up to 30MB.. And Photoshop on iOS is 13MB.... and PS Touch (professional) iOS app is still only 50MB.

So yeah, it is the biggest around and i'm wondering if that's due to retina graphics being crammed in there; sue me.

Just ordered 32GB White. Tomorrow I'll make the payment and it should arrive within this month I hope.

I dunno if it has 1GB if RAM or not. It doesn't have a quad core CPU and still has the same storage options as it did 2 years ago. Oh well...

I think this whole "it's not a quad core CPU!" debate is ridiculous. Most developers can't be arsed to write parallelized code for desktop apps. What makes people think it would be different for mobile devices?

123rl

Seriously. In my opinion, the display is the single most important hardware feature of a mobile device like a tablet or smartphone.

This. It's an update to a device that isn't just beating the competition, it has destroyed the competition. Absolutely demolished it into irrelevance. The screen is more important than every other feature. Apple now have the best screen. Game over because everyone else will now try and catch up on just the screen. If they can;t get that right then they might as well give up

Top Bottom