• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

This. It's an update to a device that isn't just beating the competition, it has destroyed the competition. Absolutely demolished it into irrelevance. The screen is more important than every other feature. Apple now have the best screen. Game over because everyone else will now try and catch up on just the screen. If they can;t get that right then they might as well give up

especially at that price...

dorn.

Just ordered a 16gig Wi-fi, going with black this time. Getting it on the 16th, didn't even have to be quick to order, no hassle at all.
Took a bit of a gamble with the 16gigs, I hope the retina assets don't make app sizes blow up and the OS overhead doesn't get too big. Currently using 9,4GB on my Ipad2.

noah111

Still Alive
Any news on that so called Microsft Office iPad app?
Have a feeling this'll make a show at the iOS 6 event since they usually show off some software and stuff there too.

But tbh, is Pages not good enough? I haven't used it but I can't imagine what could be inadequate about it that'll be alleviated with an MS Office app.

Cheebo

Banned
Just put this baby (in black) on pre-order to go with my new Black 64GB iPad:
Portenzo_white_iPad_2_case_details_2.jpg

Portenzo_white_iPad_2_case_details_1.jpg

Lucario

I have a really beat up iPad 1, 64gb, wifi only and I'd like to upgrade it to a 16/32gb iPad 3.... I just have absolutely no clue how much I could get for my beat up iPad 1, and I'm really not too keen on spending $300+ on a resolution and processor upgrade I'm not sure I need =\ I just -really- like the looks of the iPad 3.... Dat fucking resolution!

Does anyone know any cheap way to fix scratches on an iPad, or how much I'd be able to get for my old 64gb fully repaired?

amrihua

I think this whole "it's not a quad core CPU!" debate is ridiculous. Most developers can't be arsed to write parallelized code for desktop apps. What makes people think it would be different for mobile devices?

Quad core is not an issue when it comes to parallelizing code efficiently, all Apps are threaded. You run into diminishing returns with higher processor count than that. Having the same CPU as last year is absurd. Apple didn't mention anywhere if it is has a higher clock speed. I'm still buying one but can't help but feel Apple cheapened up on it.

Cheebo

Banned
[edit] beaten, but wow that is such a DODO case rip off if i've ever seen one. :\

Except it is way better. If you google around you'll see basically every review say Portenzo is a far superior case to DODO.

DODO is a pretty flimsy and cheaply built case by comparison.

Messi

When does GAF think this will be widely available? would I be ok to go to an apple store in say early june and just get one?

Looks pretty, but like a pain in the ass to use. I had one of those folding cases on my OG iPad and didn't like it at all. It became way too clumsy to use.

Another dumb question, do people tend to use screen protectors with iPads or are they not needed?

Someone here will tell you it's not needed, but I wish I used one for my iPad. There are several small scratches on the screen.

Alex

I hope my case still fits, I mean it's just a cheap 15 dollar case I got off of eBay but I like the design and way it played out better than other, more expensive ones I've tried.

I went with a White Ipad this time. Only 16, I never really use up all of the space since I kind of just make like a weeks worth of content from my PC and consume it and purge it.

I think next revision though, I'll bite on 32, I don't think I'd ever need a 64 though.

This thing is going to be so ridiculously good for browsing and mail and it'll probably wind up my primary ebook reader now too.

Messi

I have a really beat up iPad 1, 64gb, wifi only and I'd like to upgrade it to a 16/32gb iPad 3.... I just have absolutely no clue how much I could get for my beat up iPad 1, and I'm really not too keen on spending $300+ on a resolution and processor upgrade I'm not sure I need =\ I just -really- like the looks of the iPad 3.... Dat fucking resolution!

Does anyone know any cheap way to fix scratches on an iPad, or how much I'd be able to get for my old 64gb fully repaired?

You also get all the ipad 2 upgrades, like me. Can't wait.

Rubezh

I'm a current iPad 2 owner and I do see this latest revision as an incremental upgrade. It's heavier, thicker, retains the same teardrop design, and it's simply not branded as the iPad 3. Nonetheless, I will be getting the new model for myself and passing my iPad 2 onto my father.

Rubezh

I think you'll change your tune once you get it and see the screen...

I hope I do because I want to be impressed. I guess what I'm really saying is that the announcement yesterday did not overly excite me with the technical specification alone. If I see the display and it blows me away, then sure, I could see that happening too.

cheesetom

Is it easy to cancel a preorder before it ships?

Yes and No.

If you preordered it with an Apple ID, you can cancel it online. If you ordered it using a guest account, you have to call the apple store and talk to a person about cancelling it.

I accidentally ordered 2 ipads during the initial rush and the store went bonkers. Had to wait 2 hours to find 2 separate 'thank you for ordering' emails.

Having used a guest account during checkout, I had to ring them up and cancel manually. It was quite painless.. after the 30 minute queue.

zbeeb

I was wondering this too, if I get one I'll probably order from MediaDevil. Had their iPhone 3GS screen protector and it was great - no air bubbles, and unnoticable unless you really try to look for it.

i tried a screen protector on a tablet once.. what a terrible idea. Putting screen protectors on smaller screens is easy enough, but trying to ensure there's no bits on a 10" screen is near impossible. Result? bubbles everywhere!

Gaaraz

Urgh at the thread title, I cannot believe they're actually calling it 'The new iPad'

It's already ambiguous enough. My girlfriend got me an iPad 2 for Christmas, and having never seen an original iPad before, and it not mentioning anywhere on the box, the device itself, or the about page under settings that it was an iPad 2 I had to simply come out with it and ask her. This is only going to make matters worse...

Yes and No.

If you preordered it with an Apple ID, you can cancel it online. If you ordered it using a guest account, you have to call the apple store and talk to a person about cancelling it.

I accidentally ordered 2 ipads during the initial rush and the store went bonkers. Had to wait 2 hours to find 2 separate 'thank you for ordering' emails.

Having used a guest account during checkout, I had to ring them up and cancel manually. It was quite painless.. after the 30 minute queue.
This happened to me.... I'm tempted to hold onto both preorders and sell one... a wise move or not? I dunno how difficult they'll be to get hold of - they seem to be rolling them out really fast worldwide, suggesting there won't be the same stock shortages as with iPad 2...

McHuj

Well. I bought my first Apple device last night. Black/16GB version. Can't wait to get it, although I feel a little dirty about it.

hyp

a little off topic here but anyone else experiencing a crazy amount of duplicate photos on iPhoto for iPad? stuff ive saved as a screenshot and imported through the camera connection kit are the main culprits.

noah111

Still Alive
Except it is way better. If you google around you'll see basically every review say Portenzo is a far superior case to DODO.

DODO is a pretty flimsy and cheaply built case by comparison.
That's unfortunate since they were the ones who came up with the original idea for the iPad 1. Their iPad 2 case definitely doesn't seem as good as Portenzo's from what i've read, even though the DODO looks better imo.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead

This looks like such crap. It looks large and bulky. It goes against what I love about my iPad: Sleek, portable, disappears into just content. If I had this case, I couldn't ignore the fact that it had a case.

I'm a current iPad 2 owner and I do see this latest revision as an incremental upgrade. It's heavier, thicker, retains the same teardrop design, and it's simply not branded as the iPad 3. Nonetheless, I will be getting the new model for myself and passing my iPad 2 onto my father.

This iPad is far, FAR more of an upgrade than the 2 was to the 1. What did you want to see as more of an upgrade? A new body style?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Quite unimpressive.

They've finally given average users nothing to care about. Display resolution and 4G/LTE means nothing to moms, dads and teens.

$399

if you don't care about the resolution, get the ipad 2. Was price competitive with top end android tablets but still significantly more powerful and better supported. Now its even cheaper.

Can iPad and iPhoto for iPad deal with RAW images? Using iPad when I am on holiday would be perfect if it could handle images from my DSLR. I usually use Lightroom but if I can take the iPad instead, that would be awesome.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
iphoto looks so nice. Presumably you'll need iphoto running on a mac to make best use of it - any news on how it integrates with your photos if you're running a PC? I still have my mac mini but I switched to using lightroom - this makes me want to look at synchronising my lightroom with iphoto albums on my mini again, which was a pain last time to get them out.

Cheebo

Banned
That's unfortunate since they were the ones who came up with the original idea for the iPad 1. Their iPad 2 case definitely doesn't seem as good as Portenzo's from what i've read, even though the DODO looks better imo.

Well the idea of a book based case isn't really original in the first place. I rather get the higher quality one which dodo isn't. Pad and Quills case is also better than DODO from what I read.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
That's a little worrisome to think that future products will be improved by software, given that Apple seems intent on using said software to drive hardware sales. It feels pretty corny that the iPad 2/3 and iPhone 4 can't have Siri.....just because they think they need Siri to sell the iPhone 4S.

you'll get some tech tweaks here and there, but fundamentally its a big screen and a CPU underneath. Apple said in the keynote (and always say) that they want the device to disappear in use, let the content take over. So it'll always be a minimal design like a piece of glass.

Perhaps they could work on the colouring of the LCD/bezel so its more like the Sony monolith TVs - i.e when its off it just looks like a single colour rectangle. but ultimately its going to be relatively small tweaks physically I think

Midas

Well, while waiting for the new iPad I just bought an iPhone 4S. $50 per month with 10 GB of data. If I use 10 GB, the speed will be limited. I can also text and call as much as I want. Flatrate basically.

Will use the phone as a hot spot so no need to buy the 4G/LTE version of the iPad! 32 GB is what I'll buy, can't decide on color though. But I have a week or two to decide whether or not Apple will allow pre-orders for Sweden.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I'm almost as impressed by the increased fill ratio of the new screen's pixels as the increased number of pixels.

So who the fuck writes Financial Post articles? Anti-Apple trolls? I mean seriously. Not a single statement in this thing has any real truth to it. This is journalism?

New Apple iPad does little to fend off rivals’ advance

http://business.financialpost.com/2012/03/07/new-apple-ipad-does-little-to-fend-off-rivals-advance/

'Even less of a bold leap'? Tepid shuffle from an underwhelming top dog? Quadrupling screen pixels is now considered a tepid shuffle? Who the fuck is this guy, and why is he writing about Apple?

So what exactly DID you expect, Matt Hartley? You never actually told us. No, I'm pretty sure if RIM unveiled what was shown today it wouldn't have been met with 'scorn and derision'. Investors appeared disappointed? Says who? Sounds like Apple raped this guy's dog. No other way to rationalize the passive aggressive, utterly unobjective, blatantly biased tone he has throughout the whole article. Fine for a blog, but the business section Washington Post? This guy can't POSSIBLY believe what he wrote, so I'm assuming he did it solely for clickbait and ad impressions? Sad what we've come to, and even more shocking when reading his credentials. I couldn't care less if it was from a blogger, but this is someone who is being paid and spreading horseshit.

The sheer anger you display at anyone who doesn't share your opinion of Apple is baffling. It doesn't enhance your counterpoint and, in my opinion, makes you look a bit unhinged.

This author's critique of the new iPad has some merit - the upgrade is a refinement in specs that, for any company but Apple wouldn't be worthy of a large keynote and such a massive press reaction. Perhaps the iPad has actually become a part of Apple's computer line-up - this was an incremental yearly upgrade in the same mold as the MBP and iMac. Improved specs, same shell, same price. Or maybe they're following Intel's tick-tock strategy that's also evident on their iPhone line - massive redesign one year, refinement the next, repeat.

Regardless, there wasn't much else to see on the stage. It's not like Apple demo'd IOS6, which would've been a great surprise and serve as a rebuttal to Google's Ice Cream Sandwich, or the constant, mostly positive press that Windows 8 has received.

The new iPad is a good device. I ordered mine and will hand my current iPad down to someone in the family. Some expected more (retina!!!, haptic!!!), but that's largely built off Apple's history and the hero worship that Jobs cultivated. Maybe Cook shouldn't be expected to steer this company to new paradigms, and these refinements are all we'll ever see. Time will tell.

Look at that, and I didn't even curse or type in caps!

Now I'm really tempted by the new iPad. I'd like to replace my HP Touchpad (I read a lot of PDFs and watch videos occasionnally) but I also have an ATI Radeon 4890 GPU that needs replacing (it does play all games fine at 1920x1200, although not with the highest settings). I'm thinking of maybe buying one of the upcoming NVIDIA GPUs but I can't afford both.

Which one would you think I should buy first?

Tobor

It has a Retina Display. That by itself is enough to step on the throats of all competitors for a year.

That analyst is a moron, straight up.

Cheebo

Banned
Some expected more (retina!!!, haptic!!!), but that's largely built off Apple's history and the hero worship that Jobs cultivated.

Good job trying to sneak in your insane falsehood that this isn't retina. It's retina. Did you even watch the press event? They called it retina and explained why it is retina.

It has a Retina Display. That by itself is enough to step on the throats of all competitors for a year.

That analyst is a moron, straight up.

The high-resolution display will be great, but it won't fundamentally alter how the device is used or treated compared to the previous gen. It's the same ratio as the previous screen, and the interface for apps will effectively be the same, just sharper.

This isn't like when the iPad was first announced and pundits mocked it for 'only' being a large iPhone. It took a little time before software optimized for the iPad came out to illustrate how important that physical increase in screen size was. It completely changed the perception of the product. The high-res screen won't do the same for the new iPad.

Cheebo

Banned
The high-resolution display will be great, but it won't fundamentally alter how the device is used or treated compared to the previous gen. It's the same ratio as the previous screen, and the interface for apps will effectively be the same, just sharper.

This isn't like when the iPad was first announced and pundits mocked it for 'only' being a large iPhone. It took a little time before software optimized for the iPad came out to illustrate how important that physical increase in screen size was. It completely changed the perception of the product. The high-res screen won't do the same for the new iPad.

Call it by it's real name Retina. Your subtle trolls are still trolls kiddo.

Top Bottom