• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

dankir

Picked one up at Best Buy outside of Montreal around 10:30 this morning no lineups nothing. They had plenty.

Going to give it to my GF as a gift she has a really fucking shitty laptop so I got a bluetooth keyboard as well.

Vesper73

Wow! This new screen is amazing! It doesn't look like a computer screen. It looks like a magazine!

For those wonder if an upgrade is worth it, just take one look at the screen and you'll be onboard!

This is one of those things where once you used it, you cannot go back.

...just wow......

last second decision to swtich from 16gb to 32gb I found at best buy

i was a little cramped on ipad 2 at 16, so 32 will be nice

also went white.

yay!

Presco

Canada here. My order has been "processing" since March 7th.

Been busy all day so just got a chance to check my delivery status. Now says available March 19th for delivery on March 21st. What the fuck :/

Anybody know how Toronto stock looks? I'm waiting on a 32GB White 4G model. Might make my way down to the Apple Store / Future Shop / Bestbuy at Yonge and Dundas and try my luck.

.hacked

Very nice but my old iPad 2 case does not work with the screen lock :(

Oh well wanted a new switcheasy canvas case anyway.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Seems lots of folks are still waiting for deliveries in the UK and it's 6:30pm here. Why are carriers so rubbish.

I contacted Amazon about the Casecrown case that doesnt appear to want to sleep/wake the new iPad as advertised on their site. Rather than send me a new one they told me to keep it and just credited the money back to my card. I love when Amazon reminds me of why I shop almost exclusively at Amazon.

On a more angry note though, Casecrown should have f***ing tested their cases before advertising on Amazon and other sites that their cases work on the new iPad.

Zeth

Some of you folks need to have your eyes checked. I'm using this thing next to a blurPad2 and the difference is night and day. It really is like a glowing piece of paper.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Some of you folks need to have your eyes checked. I'm using this thing next to a blurPad2 and the difference is night and day. It really is like a glowing piece of paper.

Fooking hell...

If anyone has a recommendation for a good rear-only cover for the new iPad that also works on conjunction with the smart cover, I'd love to hear it. Preferably ones that are sold on Amazon and dont add a lot of bulk or block any ports. Appreciate it.

ComicGlass needs to update soooon. I need to see the gloriousness.
Shouldn't the actual comics displayed in ComicGlass look better without a retina update, since the images are just high-resolution scans? I didn't think Glass did any sort of image reprocessing.

Enviro-Bear 2010 looks much cleaner on the screen.

Charging didn't take as long as I thought based on some reports. When I took mine out of the box it was at 89% and I plugged it into my MacBook Air to sync over all the content, and I was surprised to find that it was charged up to 100% in no time at all. I'm looking forward to seeing it charge from completely empty to full, but so far it wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting.

cyberheater

I didn't update to the iPad 2 because I hoped it had a retina display. That was what sealed the deal for me on the new iPad.

Totally worth the wait.

I know. I've got a few things to sell first including my iPad1 before I get this. Ebay will be my friend next week (I hope).

If anyone has a recommendation for a good rear-only cover for the new iPad that also works on conjunction with the smart cover, I'd love to hear it. Preferably ones that are sold on Amazon and dont add a lot of bulk or block any ports. Appreciate it.

I like the Incipio Feather and the Incipio Feather for iPad2 is working, but it's a tight fit. Actually, the way it needs the lip of the cover to fit over the top, I'm surprised it fits the new Ipad.

Shouldn't the actual comics displayed in ComicGlass look better without a retina update, since the images are just high-resolution scans? I didn't think Glass did any sort of image reprocessing.
Nope, sadly the whole app runs at 1024x768, so my high res comics currently look no different. Each pixel is now 4 pixels, so I'm having to zoom in just as much.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
holy shit, ipad is fantastic for board games. When you get it and have had some time with it, please post lots of impressions on the boardgame thread (or hell, start a new thread for them), I'd like to hear how you find it.

will do :D

Only thing that throws me off a little is that some of them don't seem to have async play, but that seems to be changing. Going to be nice to actually be able to read cards in Ascension now too. Probably start playing more of that.

Some findings from a friend...

Got my new iPad today, a Black 64 ㎇ 4G model, to replace a 16 ㎇ White WiFi iPad 2. 

I've seen a lot of people complain about the new screen being “too yellow” which was not my experience at all, but I am used to looking at calibrated displays.

So rather than try to argue the point, or use photographs to compare the displays, here is some hard data: measurements taken from both iPads using an i1Pro Spectrophotometer and CalMAN Professional.

iPad 2:

iPad 3:

The iPad 3 display is far more accurate than the iPad 2 display, measuring much closer to the ideal 2.22 gamma, 6500K colour temperature, and is a close match for the sRGB/HDTV gamut spec. The DeltaE charts show how far each measurement is from the spec, lower is better, and 3 or less ideal. 

I also measured the brightness of the displays:
  • iPad 2 maximum: 401.00 cd/m²
    iPad 2 minimum: 8.84 cd/m²
  • iPad 3 maximum: 406.01 cd/m²
    iPad 3 minimum: 3.28 cd/m²
Should be a lot better for reading in a dark room at night.

Yes, Yes, Yes!!

(Daniel Bryan.gif)

Just got mine and restoring my ipad from backup.

I got the 32GB wifi, coming from 16GB wifi. I plan on throwing videos on there and got the AVplayerHD app.

I'm thinking of getting Real Racing, just to see a game running at the resolution.

Waiting for Comicglass, Goodreader, (my personal fave Uno) and hopefully Capcom and Playmore update their 2D games to run at the resolution.

What are some good apps? Im so lost on what to get.

There's a GAF thread for best of iOS apps.

There's plenty, it depends on your use case.

Splashtop and Logmein for remote PC access.

Goodreader for PDFs.

Comicglass for reading comics. (Though there are official apps from the big two and others).

AVplayerHD for playing different video formats (or use handbrake to convert videos to .mp4).

Games, there's a ton.

Laptops GTFO

DCUtE.jpg

I haven't even seen the new one yet and the iPad 2 annoyed the shit out of me since getting a 4S.

Rengoku

For anyone who has tried AVPlayerHD does it support streaming from SMB Shares? If not, what alternatives are there that support this?

There are a million browsers.

I have grazing, atomic and safari on mine. Personally, I like Atomic the best. I saw Grazing as the recommended browser in the best of iOS thread. Downloaded it and ran it on my iPhone and ran into issues on a web site and went back to Atomic and Safari.

They're all pretty competent.

Speaking as someone who has a Touchpad (with WebOS and ICS on it), you have loads and loads of options on iPad.

Top Bottom