• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Spacebar

FUCK APPLE! I finally get this shit and open the box to find my ipad has a dent at the top, back camera looks to be smashed in around the lens, and more scratches all over the back.

I didn't expect this kind of shitty quality coming from Apple. Now I gotta hope that the only Apple store in my area that is 20 mins away from my office even has one to fucking replace this shit. I'm so fucking pissed off right now.

pics coming soon.

railGUN

Banned
The iPad doesn't come close to running "hot" from what I've seen. It gets warm, absolutely. You can tell it's cooking a bit. But it's not even close to "hot". Not even close to "uncomfortable".

It's just noticeable.

Not great. Not at all terrible.

As long as its not like my MBP - I could fry an egg on that thing after some gaming or HD video playback. Its my only complaint about it.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
As long as its not like my MBP - I could fry an egg on that thing after some gaming or HD video playback. Its my only complaint about it.

Not even close to MBP levels of hot. If we weren't even talking about the warmth so much I don't even know if I'd have noticed it...but we are...and therefore I did!

FUCK APPLE! I finally get this shit and open the box to find my ipad has a dent at the top, back camera looks to be smashed in around the lens, and more scratches all over the back.

I didn't expect this kind of shitty quality coming from Apple. Now I gotta hope that the only Apple store in my area that is 20 mins away from my office even has one to fucking replace this shit. I'm so fucking pissed off right now.

pics coming soon.

Ouch, hope you can get that replaced without a problem.

Hmm. Interesting. I've never noticed it before, and I've spent many, many hours using my iPad 2.

Could this be a 3G/4G thing? Because my iPad 2 is a wifi model.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hmm. Interesting. I've never noticed it before, and I've spent many, many hours using my iPad 2.

Could this be a 3G/4G thing? Because my iPad 2 is a wifi model.

I have a wifi 3rd gen iPad and I haven't really felt any noticeable heat dissipation.

But yeah LTE devices are going to run warm.

pics coming soon.
Apple keeps separate stock for replacement units.

MThanded

pics coming soon.

They will get you an iPad. Just call the store now and they will be sure to keep one on the side for you if necessary. Apple customer service has always been top shelf.

pxleyes

Banned
The more I use this thing, the more i'm struck by the color saturation. My Dell 2407 IPS display has always been my gold standard for color reproduction, but the new iPad is clearly superior in the overall display of the color saturation and chroma. The actual hues may be slightly off (haven't tested it), but the overall appearance is stunning.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
For anyone who has tried AVPlayerHD does it support streaming from SMB Shares? If not, what alternatives are there that support this?

I couldn't see how. Only options I could see were setting up a web server to transfer and ftping. Seems more about playback than network browsing. You could try air video if you have a computer you can run the server on

Edit: buzz player hd has smb support. Or you can use file browser to download the files and open in av player hd

Readability on iPad 2 (left) and iPad third gen (right).

http://teehanlax.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/readability_non_vs_retina_01.jpg

http://teehanlax.com.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/readability_non_vs_retina_02.jpg

M9yHq.jpg

Huge difference in image quality but holy fuck is that a lot of yellow where it should be white on the iPad 3 image.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Well, just got the "delivery exception" notification. Fun. It says the estimated delivery is tonight at 6 but for those who've had to deal with this before, are they telling the truth? Is there a chance they might not deliver it today?

cnizzle06

Banned
First iPad ever. Picked it up at Walmart last night. So far, so good. And I gotta say, those yellow pics seem highly exaggerated. It seems nothing like that on mine. Anywho, what's the consensus on the best iPad sketching app?

Noticed something in the new iPad. if I keep the volume button up and down instead of tapping it, it jumps immediately or goes down and mutes immediately respectively. Can anyone emulate it?

MThanded

I have to say the reality is that I don't see pixels on my iPad 1 when I'm using it. Those piccies tend to blow it out of proportion.

But once you see it you can't unsee. We opened pdfs on an iPad 1 and my 3rd gen iPad.... I had my co-workers saying their screens were shit.

If you don't want to hate your "old iPad" don't look at the screens side by side. It's night and day on text.

Huge difference in image quality but holy fuck is that a lot of yellow where it should be white on the iPad 3 image.
The more i read the more I'm hearing that the yellow is actually the more accurate color balance.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
But once you see it you can't unsee. We opened pdfs on an iPad 1 and my 3rd gen iPad.... I had my co-workers saying their screens were shit.

If you don't want to hate your "old iPad" don't look at the screens side by side. It's night and day on text.

The more i read the more I'm hearing that the yellow is actually the more accurate color balance.

Yeah. I'm sure text is amazing on that screen. I'm just pointing out that I don't see individual pixels on my iPad in normal use.

that yellow is the correct color balance

No, it is not. There is no correct color balance that exists in which white is anything other than white. White should neither be yellow nor bluish. There's a happy medium in-between that is not present in that image.

Neither are accurate, but it is indeed more accurate than a cold blue-ish white. Neither are good, but then it just comes down to which you prefer. Personally I like having a choice. I use a cool temp for browsing on my PC monitor and warm for movies/TV.

MThanded

Yeah. I'm sure text is amazing on that screen. I'm just pointing out that I don't see individual pixels on my iPad in normal use.
Right of course you can't . The problem is fuzziness around the edges of letters and symbols. Its hard to explain until you see the screen in person next to the old screen.

PaulLFC

Loving the iPad so far, a couple of qustions/minor annoyances with the app store though:

1. It asks me to re-type my password every time I download an app, even free ones. I thought I read that there was a setting so that it remembered your password, or at least only asked once, but I can't find it.

2. It auto-closes the app store when I download an app, and I have to open it again to download another one. I know this is how it's always worked, but I saw somewhere today that this was supposed to be fixed in 5.1 so that it didn't close the store. Doesn't seem to be, though.

mrkgoo

Noticed something in the new iPad. if I keep the volume button up and down instead of tapping it, it jumps immediately or goes down and mutes immediately respectively. Can anyone emulate it?

That's normal behaviour.

On the very first iPad, the switch on the side was an orientation lock switch. For quick access mute, holding down on the volume for a second or two would mute it instantly.

That,s why there was so much hubbub about changing the lock switch to a mute - seeing as it didn't fully mute the device, and you could do it anyway.

What seems to be new, however, is the hold to max volume. That,s a bad thing in my opinion.

MThanded

No, it is not. There is no correct color balance that exists in which white is anything other than white. White should neither be yellow nor bluish. There's a happy medium in-between that is not present in that image.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36093388&postcount=6130

It may not be right to your eyes but thats apparently more accurate than the other panels. The way displays are calibrated in general are much cooler than they are supposed to be when it comes to actual color accuracy.

cyberheater

Right of course you can't . The problem is fuzziness around the edges of letters and symbols. Its hard to explain until you see the screen in person next to the old screen.

I kind of know what to expect after comparing my iPhone 3GS to an iPhone4. Super sharp text.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

yea and the white balance of the operators camera could be completely off. I highly doubt that they bothered to check that. Its not a big deal people, also don't trust shitty photos posted online by noobs.

omg whitta's ipad box is the wrong color white, its way too yellow!

cyberheater

1. It asks me to re-type my password every time I download an app, even free ones. I thought I read that there was a setting so that it remembered your password, or at least only asked once, but I can't find it.

That is a very useful feature when you have children.

Good way to judge white balance, from an auto-balanced camera phone shot.

Also, properly calibrated displays are always warmer than what people expect. Esp. in comparison to cooler displays.

yea and the white balance of the operators camera could be completely off. I highly doubt that they bothered to check that. Its not a big deal people, also don't trust shitty photos posted online by noobs.

omg whitta's ipad box is the wrong color white, its way too yellow!

That wouldnt explain why the white on the iPad2 sitting right next to it is actually white.

cyberheater

Can someone please post some nice video taken with iPad3. Preferably a link to the direct footage. Thanks.

Spacebar

They will get you an iPad. Just call the store now and they will be sure to keep one on the side for you if necessary. Apple customer service has always been top shelf.

Are they gonna compensate me for wasting my time? Are they going to pay my gas money for driving all the way out to their store? Are they just going to hand me a new ipad and say "Sorry. Have a great day"?

I'm sorry I'm just so pissed right now. I was so excited to get my first ipad. I have Macbook Pro, iMac 27 inch and iphone4 and I've only had minor issues with the phone and imac. None of them ever came out of the box in this kind of shape.

I'm still on hold waiting for the store to pick up. My gut tells me they aren't going to have any and I'll be fucked. I've been excited all week and this just ruins it. I know first world problems but I need to vent about this shit.

MThanded

That wouldnt explain why the white on the iPad2 sitting right next to it is actually white.

Just because the color is white doesn't mean the display is more accurate.

Correctly calibrated monitors and tv are always warmer than you expect them to be. I was shocked by this myself after I spent time calibrating my plasma.

I used to hate warm calibration.

Just because the color is white doesn't mean the display is more accurate.

Correctly calibrated monitors and tv are always warmer than you expect them to be. I was shocked by this myself after I spent time calibrating my plasma.

I'm just worried because of the nightmare I went through attempting to buy an iMac from Apple a couple years ago. Finally they admitted that they can't recommend their own computers to people that need correct colors. I still haven't received my iPad, but reading the impressions has me gun-shy. I pray it's completely unfounded.

not to mention he's probably not using a calibrated display.

Wanna bet?

Top Bottom