• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

My wife got hers today. Pretty amazing screen.

I just got my bonus numbers, so I am in the market too-- but the device I really want doesn't seem to exist. (OS X or Linux tablet with pressure-sensitive stylus option.)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
There are a million browsers.

I have grazing, atomic and safari on mine. Personally, I like Atomic the best. I saw Grazing as the recommended browser in the best of iOS thread. Downloaded it and ran it on my iPhone and ran into issues on a web site and went back to Atomic and Safari.

They're all pretty competent.

Speaking as someone who has a Touchpad (with WebOS and ICS on it), you have loads and loads of options on iPad.

Atomic is the best non-safari browser. Buy far.

Just FYI, I just got mine and it slid fine into my Marware CEO Hybrid 2. The corners lock and it closes. I'm calling it confirmed that it fits.

Laptops GTFO

DCUtE.jpg

Which keyboard dock is this?

I couldn't resist. Walked into Best Buy and walked out with a 32GB wifi. I practiced restraint though. I didn't get the matching Apple TV just yet.

Yeah I never ever noticed my iPad 2 getting hot, but I definitely feel warmth coming from the 3 just while it is sitting here doing its restore

I had this funny feeling this might be possible with the new iPad. The new screen, coupled with bigger batteries, coupled with 4G was just a recipe for more heat.

I think I'm gonna wait things out til the next revision. I'm not a fan of portable devices that get hot.

Blackhead

Redarse
There are a million browsers.

I have grazing, atomic and safari on mine. Personally, I like Atomic the best. I saw Grazing as the recommended browser in the best of iOS thread. Downloaded it and ran it on my iPhone and ran into issues on a web site and went back to Atomic and Safari.

They're all pretty competent.

Speaking as someone who has a Touchpad (with WebOS and ICS on it), you have loads and loads of options on iPad.
Iirc some sites had a problem with the 'do not track' feature supported by Grazing. That feature was turned off by default if a recent update. Grazing doesn't have all the obscure features of iCab and atomic but the UI is by far nicer. I'm browsing in Grazing with full-screen mode right now. It'll be my main browser until the new iPad jailbreak comes along, at which point I'll probably switch back to Safari.

Why you say so?! I'd take iCab over Atomic any day.

Heel

How long until we see the new iPad from merchants on Amazon? I'd like to take advantage of no sales tax and some gift cards...

Did it take long with iPad 2?

Hoo-doo

Banned
Not liking all these hot comments :/

I hate it when my gadgets get hot. I remember my old iPod Touch 2G used to get hot as hell and it seriously sucked.

Yep, same here. Can't stand it when my handheld devices or laptops get hot to the touch.

You and I feel that way, but again in the "Best of iOS thread", Grazing is mentioned. I like all three though. You can't lose with just plain ol Safari.

Not liking all these hot comments :/

I hate it when my gadgets get hot. I remember my old iPod Touch 2G used to get hot as hell and it seriously sucked.

Can, I be honest with you? I've already made my mind up that I'll be updating next year, so I care but know I'll only be using it for a year.

It sucks that the Apple Engineers had to overcome issues with the Retina upgrade. But let's be honest, next year's version will probably have a return of the form factor and performance improvements we saw in iPad 2, as we'll have more efficient batteries, A6 (which will probably see its introduction in iPhone 5 MAYBE).

FStop7

Banned
I'm a little frustrated with trying to view photos at their actual sizes. There is some kind of scaling going on that I can't turn off. When I go to Flickr all of my lower res photos are being forcefully scaled up to fit the display and they look soft and crappy. And larger photos are being weirdly scaled, too. I just want to view things in their actual sizes to get a better idea of what this display is like.

Can, I be honest with you? I've already made my mind up that I'll be updating next year, so I care but know I'll only be using it for a year.

Already decided to buy the next one without even knowing what it'll offer? Damn.

I do find it interesting that reviews didn't say much about increased heat, yet we immediately have real users reporting as much. One of those funny things with reviews sometimes. :/

try calling fedex. The customer service told me that I should still get it today regardless of the status.

Yep, thanks. Just got off the phone with them. I tried to avoid acknowledging that was an iPad so as not to sound like a raging fanboy, but sure enough the guy on the phone goes "I can see this is for an Apple iPad and we'll be delivering it to you tonight." Dammit. It really is a pain in the ass to be chained to your house all day though.

railGUN

Banned
I think you have to pay to ship it back to them. I just checked because gaf has made me want a 32 instead of a 16

I called Apple after I posted that, and its totally free to return, assuming you have a UPS or Purloator depot (maybe other companies too but I only checked on Purolator, as I don't have UPS where I live). They cover insurance and everything, it just needs to be returned within the 14 day window.

Yep, thanks. Just got off the phone with them. I tried to avoid acknowledging that was an iPad so as not to sound like a raging fanboy, but sure enough the guy on the phone goes "I can see this is for an Apple iPad and we'll be delivering it to you tonight." Dammit. It really is a pain in the ass to be chained to your house all day though.

This stuff is why I just go get it at retail on launch day if possible. Waiting sucks.

Already decided to buy the next one without even knowing what it'll offer? Damn.

iPad whore?

There are people in this thread who have bought all three iPads. I'm only on my second, but I know that the screen is a great update, but the performance isn't exactly a huge leap like the leap from 1 to 2.

And holy crap. I upgraded to a 32 GB, and I threw some more comics and some video files and only have 9 GBs of free space.

I could be remembering wrong but when I bought my ipad 2 last year I remember it running hot the first few times I used it and then it simmered back down. My 4S also runs hot once in awhile.

subrock

So gaf, Ive missed the discussions about iPad skins. I just want one for the back, is there one widely accepted as the best?

iPad whore?

There are people in this thread who have bought all three iPads. I'm only on my second, but I know that the screen is a great update, but the performance isn't exactly a huge leap like the leap from 1 to 2.

Hey, I love the iPad as much as anyone. I just can't see it being a yearly purchase, that's all. Especially talk of buying next year's model without having a clue what it will offer over the previous models, but whatever.

I could be remembering wrong but when I bought my ipad 2 last year I remember it running hot the first few times I used it and then it simmered back down. My 4S also runs hot once in awhile.

I think you're remembering wrong, at least regarding the iPad 2.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
The iPad doesn't come close to running "hot" from what I've seen. It gets warm, absolutely. You can tell it's cooking a bit. But it's not even close to "hot". Not even close to "uncomfortable".

It's just noticeable.

Not great. Not at all terrible.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hey, I love the iPad as much as anyone. I just can't see it being a yearly purchase, that's all. Especially talk of buying next year's model without having a clue what it will offer over the previous models, but whatever.

I think you're remembering wrong, at least regarding the iPad 2.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1117713

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3027437?start=0&tstart=0

http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-help/39072-warm-feeling-near-bottom-left-ipad-2-a.html

http://mashable.com/2011/03/14/ipad-upgrade/

Take a gander. iPad 2 ran warm too.

These devices are slim as hell. Not surprising that there is some minor heat dissipation.

Top Bottom