• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

SuperPac

Loving the iPad so far, a couple of qustions/minor annoyances with the app store though:

1. It asks me to re-type my password every time I download an app, even free ones. I thought I read that there was a setting so that it remembered your password, or at least only asked once, but I can't find it.

Settings/General/Restrictions. If you have these on then you may have set "Require password" to something quicker than the default 15 minutes. It should only ask you your password once every 15 minutes under normal circumstances. If you're downloading an app, waiting 20 minutes, and downloading another one then yes of course it's going to ask you for it again. ;) (For your own safety, really - if you have kids or lose your phone and didn't put a passlock on it then someone can't buy a buncha stuff.)

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'm just worried because of the nightmare I went through attempting to buy an iMac from Apple a couple years ago. Finally they admitted that they can't recommend their own computers to people that need correct colors. I still haven't received my iPad, but reading the impressions has me gun-shy. I pray it's completely unfounded.

This is the first time I have heard this.

TKR92

OMG finally.

6988021441_447cf99b3a_z.jpg

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Loving the iPad so far, a couple of qustions/minor annoyances with the app store though:

2. It auto-closes the app store when I download an app, and I have to open it again to download another one. I know this is how it's always worked, but I saw somewhere today that this was supposed to be fixed in 5.1 so that it didn't close the store. Doesn't seem to be, though.

I noticed that when I'm using iCloud to re-download applications, it doesn't close the App Store but when you just choose to straight download something it does (dictated sentence!)

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
I'm just worried because of the nightmare I went through attempting to buy an iMac from Apple a couple years ago. Finally they admitted that they can't recommend their own computers to people that need correct colors. I still haven't received my iPad, but reading the impressions has me gun-shy. I pray it's completely unfounded.

Wanna bet?

if your on a calibrated display, then your showing an extreme lack of understanding of why your even using a calibrated display.

MThanded

I don't think calibrated display means "white on the screen is white on paper" . I'm no expert but im pretty sure there is a lot more to it than that.

So even if the white on the screen is closer to white in real life that says nothing about how accurate the calibration is.

Someone who has some expertise in this area should chime in.

This is the first time I have heard this.

I don't recommend it, but Google and read the thousands upon thousands of posts about iMac screen issues. Just awful quality control on the part of Apple. To the point where they finally had the folks working at the "genius" bar tell people they couldnt keep returning their iMacs in hopes of getting a good screen because one doesn't exist (correct color thoughout).

Blackhead

Redarse
Uh am I missing something or does the new iPad not have the battery usuage statistics? Well, I got my iPad at 80%, drained it in about 5 hrs of usage (I keep the screen brightness on high) and will now see how long it takes to charge via the wall outlet...

muu

DELIVERED! too bad there's a gazillion last-minute changes that got shoved on to me at work else I'd be dashing back home.

Einbroch

Banned
The camera is nice because now I only have to take a picture of my check once to deposit it, instead of reading "cannot locate check, please make sure it is inside the rectangle" 100 times.

i saw a few pages back talk of CBR readers and the like. can i get an opinion on THE BEST one regardless of price please? right now im using this shit called Stanza and it crashes like a MOFO!!

this ipad will be used for comics.......tons of them.

Mmmm who should I believe, professional sites and artists claiming that the color reproduction on the new iPad is an improvement over the previous iterations (with tons of proof to show for it) or random forum poster Baconsammy who's know for his BS and might need glasses based on his impressions?

Guys, this is a tough one.

Blackhead

Redarse
For anyone using LTE on the iPad, is apple still screwing us with low bandwidth YouTube videos?

One of the reasons Apple demoed the LTE speed with Vimeo in safari instead of using the YouTube app lol. You should be using the YouTube web app though. It's gorgeous and very functional.

i saw a few pages back talk of CBR readers and the like. can i get an opinion on THE BEST one regardless of price please?

ComicGlass. I've tried most if not all comic readers (even some of those weird obscure ones) and ComicGlass is better for most of the tasks/options required to read comics on the iPad.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
One of the reasons Apple demoed the LTE speed with Vimeo in safari instead of using the YouTube app lol. You should be using the YouTube web app though. It's gorgeous and very functional.

At this point I think Apple should just bin the YouTube app.

Let Google make their own, or people can just be redirected to m.youtube.com anyway. Videos load a ton faster on the actual site, anyway.

i saw a few pages back talk of CBR readers and the like. can i get an opinion on THE BEST one regardless of price please? right now im using this shit called Stanza and it crashes like a MOFO!!

i'd like to hear what the best one is as well. i saw "comicglass" a few pages ago?

mf.luder

No one was home while I was at work. UPS is delivering on Monday and I am FUCKING irate.

Going to the customer center at 6:00 hoping someone can help me.

Alex

Id like to use the camera on the ipad for some things so I am happy with the upgrade. The one on the ipad 2 was really, really horrible.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Ho hum. Courier services promising the earth without the ability to deliver.

Apple apparently started sending "we are sorry" email to the people whose deliveries were missed with promise of a prompt Saturday delivery.

This is in the UK.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Right of course you can't . The problem is fuzziness around the edges of letters and symbols. Its hard to explain until you see the screen in person next to the old screen.

I was at the Apple store and they had iPad 2s right next to the new iPads on display benches. So I was able to do side by side comparisons right in the store. Retina display clearly looks better, but everybody on GAF is exaggerating how bad the iPad 2 looks. I spent about 20 minutes dicking around and in that timespan, I eavesdropped on 3 different groups of people standing next to me who were saying they couldn't tell much of a difference.

The difference maker here is Chinese text. Holy cow, I was browsing Taiwanese websites and was blown away by how good that looks on retina display. Easily the best display ever for reading Chinese text and it's a must-upgrade for those who need that functionality. English text: noticeable difference but not as big a deal. The average person can do just fine with their iPad 2s.

Utako

Banned
Are they gonna compensate me for wasting my time? Are they going to pay my gas money for driving all the way out to their store? Are they just going to hand me a new ipad and say "Sorry. Have a great day"?

I'm sorry I'm just so pissed right now. I was so excited to get my first ipad. I have Macbook Pro, iMac 27 inch and iphone4 and I've only had minor issues with the phone and imac. None of them ever came out of the box in this kind of shape.

I'm still on hold waiting for the store to pick up. My gut tells me they aren't going to have any and I'll be fucked. I've been excited all week and this just ruins it. I know first world problems but I need to vent about this shit.
That sucks, but you're way too mad.

I hope you don't talk to the Apple Store staff with that ferocity, because it won't help your situation.

MThanded

I was at the Apple store and they had iPad 2s right next to the new iPads on display benches. So I was able to do side by side comparisons right in the store. Retina display clearly looks better, but everybody on GAF is exaggerating how bad the iPad 2 looks. I spent about 20 minutes dicking around and in that timespan, I eavesdropped on 3 different groups of people standing next to me who were saying they couldn't tell much of a difference.

The difference maker here is Chinese text. Holy cow, I was browsing Taiwanese websites and was blown away by how good that looks on retina display. Easily the best display ever for reading Chinese text and it's a must-upgrade for those who need that functionality. English text: noticeable difference but not as big a deal. The average person can do just fine with their iPad 2s.

If you load up a full page wall of text research paper you will see the difference. When the characters are small you get ugly aliasing around the letter edges.

Thats my use case.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
No one was home while I was at work. UPS is delivering on Monday and I am FUCKING irate.

Going to the customer center at 6:00 hoping someone can help me.

UPS is very flexible, just have them hold it at the facility for you.
Call them, but be polite, dont be a dick.

Twice i've actually gotten them to contact the driver and have him meet me somewhere and successfully picked up my package.

Top Bottom