• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Just read some of this months edge magazine. So nice to be able to read a full magazine page in portrait without zooming. It got tiresome before but now it's perfect.

LCfiner

i'd like to hear what the best one is as well. i saw "comicglass" a few pages ago?

I like bookman pro because it links to dropbox and displays folders within your dropbox as shelves. Very convenient for me.

navigation controls are pretty customizable and it’s fast when flipping pages.

a lot of people will recommend comiczeal but I don’t think it’s better as the importing process is still not as smooth as other apps.

To those asking if the lowest brightness setting isn't as bright as the iPad 1, it most certainly is. Thankfully since the iPad 1 at lowest brightness was still bright.

Alex

Yeah. I'm sure text is amazing on that screen. I'm just pointing out that I don't see individual pixels on my iPad in normal use.

I usually noticed, it just didn't bug me, the iPad 3 screen is great but the iPad 2 screen is still very nice. I look forward to reading and browsing on my 3, those being the primary reason I got it but I could live without it just fine if I had to.

Hell, I still watch loads of SD content on my HD sets. It doesnt look good but I guess I just ultimately dont care that much.

Still waiting on my delivery! I dont like that they use Fed Ex, Fed Ex is always slow around here. UPS delivers by 10, Fed Ex is usually at 3, I want to load some stuff on it before I go out tonight.

As dumb as I feel taking pictures with the iPad it is kind of cool having a 10" screen to see the picture through.

Yeah, that's why I like it, and for when in-app use meshes in with it. I don't really give a shit how it looks though, it's not like I'm carrying it around town and snapping photos with it, I'd just use it around the home or people I know.

KtSlime

Uh am I missing something or does the new iPad not have the battery usuage statistics? Well, I got my iPad at 80%, drained it in about 5 hrs of usage (I keep the screen brightness on high) and will now see how long it takes to charge via the wall outlet...

I believe that is an iPhone/Touch only feature. It does not exist on my original iPad running 5.1.

dc89

That's the one thing I like about my job in technical support. I get to play with the latest toys and look busy.

The display is immaculate the camera is actually impressive.

dankir

This is the case I when I picked up the iPAD HD / 3 for my GF this morning. Pretty nifty you can change the orientation on the fly and it'll stand upright.

Very cool!

IMG_20120316_1525451.jpg

Surprised to see the new iPad bombing. Just came back from Target and they had a lot left in the glass cases.

Kidding on the bombing

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
This is the case I when I picked up the iPAD HD / 3 for my GF this morning. Pretty nifty you can change the orientation on the fly and it'll stand upright.

Very cool!

IMG_20120316_1525451.jpg

So does the screen sit on top of the keyboard when you have it closed?

DJ88

After using this thing last night and today I can safely say this one of the most amazing pieces of tech, if not the best, I've ever owned.
I've never had an iPad before so I'm experiencing all the incredible apps and things it can do (Flipboard, holy shit!!), all while at the same time being double blown away thanks to the retina display. It's just so freaking gorgeous, I don't know how there's people who aren't that impressed by it.
I look at my iMac monitor now and I don't even want to look at it anymore, I've been spoiled by the iPad.

Now that I had some more time since last night I took a couple better pics. I tried to get as low light as possible to make the display shine more.

Make sure you click them for full size!

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Damn Apple shipped a ton of units. Target, Walmart, Verizon, ATT, Best Buy all selling on day one.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Those keyboard dock cases are ridiculous.

railGUN

Banned
Damn Apple shipped a ton of units. Target, Walmart, Verizon, ATT, Best Buy all selling on day one.

I walked into our small town WalMart and bought one straight up - they had received 18 in total, at least 12 were left when I went in. I'm actually very surprised they got any, let alone almost 20.

Alex

Surprised to see the new iPad bombing. Just came back from Target and they had a lot left in the glass cases.

With how Apple was bombarded I think a lot of people just ordered online this year. Outside of the store coughing up blood for a few hours it was pretty smooth and comfortable.

I look at folks in lines and all I can think is... why?

Those keyboard dock cases are ridiculous.

I just use it plain inside the house and put it in a leather checkerboard folio I got off of eBay if I go out. I guess the folio does add a bit of bulk but for when I'm tossing it in a bag I don't really care and I just hate how silicon and hard plastic snap ons fee for the back.

I was at the Apple store and they had iPad 2s right next to the new iPads on display benches. So I was able to do side by side comparisons right in the store. Retina display clearly looks better, but everybody on GAF is exaggerating how bad the iPad 2 looks. I spent about 20 minutes dicking around and in that timespan, I eavesdropped on 3 different groups of people standing next to me who were saying they couldn't tell much of a difference.

That's mostly how I feel now after playing with my device for most of the day. The hardware is a nice improvement, but does it deserve all the orgasmic, visceral praise that's been thrown out? We have an iPad 2, with a nicer screen that runs a bit warmer due to a massive battery. It's a nice upgrade I suppose. I read some articles in Readability, switched back to the last gen iPad and did the same. My eyes didn't feel any different before or after. It's the same text. One display just has larger pixels than the other.

I think at this point it's become a reflex for zealous Apple fans and the 'chosen ones' in the media overreact to hardware changes that would otherwise be disregarded from other manufacturers.

I await iOS6 to see what this resolution, GPU and 1GB of RAM can really do. Now I'm just bored.

MThanded

I walked into our small town WalMart and bought one straight up - they had received 18 in total, at least 12 were left when I went in. I'm actually very surprised they got any, let alone almost 20.
I think they want everyone who wants one to get one instead of people running around buying them off of ebay for marked up prices.

That's mostly how I feel now after playing with my device for most of the day. The hardware is a nice improvement, but does it deserve all the orgasmic, visceral praise that's been thrown out? We have an iPad 2, with a nicer screen that runs a bit warmer due to a massive battery. It's a nice upgrade I suppose. I read some articles in Readability, switched back to the last gen iPad and did the same. My eyes didn't feel any different before or after. It's the same text. One display just has larger pixels than the other.

I think at this point it's become a reflex for zealous Apple fans and the 'chosen ones' in the media overreact to hardware changes that would otherwise be disregarded from other manufacturers.

I await iOS6 to see what this resolution, GPU and 1GB of RAM can really do. Now I'm just bored.
Text is a much bigger deal when the font size is small.

If you are disappointed you should really return your device. No reason to keep something that costs at the minimum 520 dollars if its not really an improvement.

With how Apple was bombarded I think a lot of people just ordered online this year. Outside of the store coughing up blood for a few hours it was pretty smooth and comfortable.

I look at folks in lines and all I can think is... why?

I just use it plain inside the house and put it in a leather checkerboard folio I got off of eBay if I go out. I guess the folio does add a bit of bulk but for when I'm tossing it in a bag I don't really care and I just hate how silicon and hard plastic snap ons fee for the back.

They've done preorders in the past too and the website got hammered then. So I don't think it's the fact that people preordered.

Easiest purchase ever. They had a mountain of them. Walked in a couple hrs ago to the Apple store and walked out. Never expected to get one on launch day. Also, I've been an Apple fan for 10+ years and I just realized this is the first ever Apple product I've gotten on day of release. Now for the unboxing. See you all on the other side =)

MThanded

They've done preorders in the past too and the website got hammered then. So I don't think it's the fact that people preordered.

They shipped a crapton of units this time. Tim Cook being the big supply chain guru he is was not going to let it go down any other way. The amount of ready units they had at my local apple store was obscene.

railGUN

Banned

At least you went into this with an open mind... oh wait.

Pein

Banned
Sitting on my steps waiting for this damn UPS guy because my bell is broken. Stupid UPS doesn't deliver in my area until after 5.

sfedai0

Banned
Got damn, my pics shot with my DSLR look awesome. This screen makes my laptop and Touchpad screens look like complete shit.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Just go and buy one in tesco, or an apple store/reseller tomorrow, should still be stock. Then return the other when it arrives

I've not ordered one. I'm just enraged that greedy courier companies promise that they can get the job done and are completely not up to the task. I hope Apple never use them again.

MercuryLS

Banned
I'm syncing right now and it's getting really hot on the left side. Please tell me it doesn't get this hot during regular use. How come none of the review mentioned this?

I loved the fact that iPad 1 and 2 never got hot. This is disappointing.

Or people just aren't running out to buy them day one?

I'm syncing right now and it's getting really hot on the left side. Please tell me it doesn't get this hot during regular use. How come none of the review mentioned this?

I loved the fact that iPad 1 and 2 never got hot. This is disappointing.

LTE or wifi model?

Back from a ban bearing gifts, a shiny 16gb new iPad. Screen is amazing. I also have a transformer (first gen) and there's no match, while still being a great device it just pales in comparison.

OP should add a short list of recommended/retina updated apps for iPad-noobs like myself, that would really help.

Alex

I dont see myself upgrading next year unless they do something really great. With the screen and camera there's not much more I want.

Top Bottom