• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

3N16MA

Banned
Or people just aren't running out to buy them day one?

Considering how long pre-orders were up for first day delivery this time around I bet Apple has more supply than last time. Same with the 4S, it did not see the shortages of the IP4 but still has solid launch numbers.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I dont see myself upgrading next year unless they do something really great. With the screen and camera there's not much more I want.

I can't see how they could improve that screen very much.

I would imagine that they will include the camera from the iPhone4S in the next iteration and offer a 128mb version.

Maybe upgrade the front camera as well and go full quad processor with an improved GPU.

LCfiner

I dont see myself upgrading next year unless they do something really great. With the screen and camera there's not much more I want.

I already know I want a faster CPU. Seeing how the EDGE magazine needs to re-render text in blocks and is fairly slow at doing it.

So I’ll take a “new iPad S” model.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I already know I want a faster CPU. Seeing how the EDGE magazine needs to re-render text in blocks and is fairly slow at doing it.

So I’ll take a “new iPad S” model.

A lot of apps need to fix their rendering engines. That would solve a lot of the problem.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

That sounds like a issue with the app. Not the hardware. iPad3 had more then enough power to render pages rapidly.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Here are things I want in next year's iPad:

• Screen fused to the glass
  • An actual, usable front camera
  • Faster faster faster. I don't know if games will run 60FPS natively on this thing
  • 32GB minimum

All reasonable things. I don't care about a redesign other than a smaller, palm rejection able bezel.

I was so scared about the weight, everyone kept complaining about the weight of this thing but coming from the iPad 1 its much lighter. :D enjoying it so far, can't wait for everything to finish downloading from iCloud.

Enco

Here are things I want in next year's iPad:

• Screen fused to the glass
  • An actual, usable front camera
  • Faster faster faster. I don't know if games will run 60FPS natively on this thing
  • 32GB minimum

All reasonable things. I don't care about a redesign other than a smaller, palm rejection able bezel.
Don't see what else they can do apart from that.

Kinda reached a tablet innovation roadblock. Possibly change the shape? Guess we'll have to wait and see.

JDeluis

Does apple charge a restocking fee for opened iPads? Apple website does not mention it. Only states that it has to be retuned within 14 days.

cyberheater

Will have to revolutionize the developer tools in some way.

If you don't like it you should take it back. Nothing wrong with that.

Use the front facing camera to track you're eyes so you can surf and scroll just by moving your eyes and blinking.

FStop7

Banned
I hate to say it but I think I'm going to return it. The higher resolution screen does me no good because there is so much scaling to fit images to the screen happening in both directions that I can't view images at their actual sizes. It's extremely frustrating. A 640x640 and a 1280x1280 image both appear to be the same size in the image viewer - full screen. I can't find a way around it.

Also the same things that annoyed me about the iPad 1 are still present in the iPad 3. I hadn't used an iPad since before iOS 5 launched (never used an iPad 2 at all) so I was hoping it would be better.

I'm really bummed because I know that screen is incredible but if I have to constantly fight the OS to see things sized correctly it's no good to me for photography. I guess I'll stick with my Macbook Air.

vehn

Is there any way to restore game saves / app settings from an old ipad to the new ipad? I restored it from a backup and it got all of the app's transferred over, but none of the saves / settings stayed

MThanded

I hate to say it but I think I'm going to return it. The higher resolution screen does me no good because there is so much scaling to fit images to the screen happening in both directions that I can't view images at their actual sizes. It's extremely frustrating.

Also the same things that annoyed me about the iPad 1 are still present in the iPad 3. I hadn't used an iPad since before iOS 5 launched (never used an iPad 2 at all) so I was hoping it would be better.

I'm really bummed because I know that screen is incredible but if I have to constantly fight the OS to see things sized correctly it's no good to me for photography. I guess I'll stick with my Macbook Air.

How do you do that on a macbook air? Whats the max resolution on those screens?

MercuryLS

Banned
The heat is really really bad. I'll give it a few days, but if the heat persists with light usage, I may have to skip this gen (sadly). I hope that with the next iPad with a SOC made on a smaller nm size will produce less heat.

Enco

Is there a way for either Kindle or iBooks to read Pdf?
Yes.

Use iTunes to transfer them over, email them to your Kindle email, put them into Dropbox and open them up with your iPad or email them to any email and open it up on your iPad.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Posting on the new iPad right now (using a bluetooth keyboard, though). It really is a thing of beauty but I'm slightly disappointed in some performance aspects. iMame, for instance, now puts along at a slow framerate rendering my iCade almost useless. :(

It seems that some apps may struggle to run smoothly on the new display and something like iMame will never be officially updated.

Oh well, the new pad is pretty great regardless as reading and web usage is infinitely better. Gaf in portrait has never looked so sharp.

MThanded

The heat is really really bad. I'll give it a few days, but if the heat persists with light usage, I may have to skip this gen (sadly). I hope that with the next iPad with a SOC made on a smaller nm size will produce less heat.
Do you have an LTE ipad?

FStop7

Banned
How do you do that on a macbook air? Whats the max resolution on those screens?

On the Air (or any other regular computer) if the actual image size is larger than the display then I have to scroll around to see everything. If the image is lower resolution than the display then I can see the entire image at once. Either way I can see what an image truly looks like at 1:1 scale.

With the iPad it automatically scales everything to fit the display. Larger or smaller. I can't figure out how to turn that off.

The only regret I'm kind of feeling is that I'm thinking I should have gone with the 4G LTE model over just WiFi. The fact that it can be used as a hotspot is super tempting to me.

I was initially afraid of being disappointed, but wow. I completely underestimated how amazing the screen would be. My digital textbooks look mind blowing. I was also surprised by how well Diction works in Japanese. I'm not used to typing with the Japanese keyboard, so this is very useful for me. Heck, it's also pretty incredible in English. (This was done with Diction, by the way. ディックションで書きました)

I could stare at this screen all day.

MercuryLS

Banned
Do you have an LTE ipad?

It's wifi. I'm hoping the heat is a result of the syncing. But still, I'm betting that apps that push the device are going to seriously heat up the device. Right now the right side is slightly warm, not a big deal. But the rigt side is uncomfortably hot IMO.

MThanded

It's wifi. I'm hoping the heat is a result of the syncing. But still, I'm betting that apps that push the device are going to seriously heat up the device. Right now the right side is slightly warm, not a big deal. But the rigt side is uncomfortably hot IMO.
It's most likely the syncing.

Syncing and charging at the same time.

I was so scared about the weight, everyone kept complaining about the weight of this thing but coming from the iPad 1 its much lighter. :D enjoying it so far, can't wait for everything to finish downloading from iCloud.

Well the weight is less than an iPad 1, but is definitely a step up from the iPad 2. I always thought the iPad 1 was a tad too heavy for long term use so it's sad to see the iPad 3 creep up in weight.

Gah I wish that the wifi in our main building extended to my office space (it doesn't sadly), but I at least have my ipad restored from my icloud backup (from my 4S no less). It's just a matter of apps that I need to download now.

Hopefully amazon emails me soon that they're sending me my bt keyboard and I'll probably start looking at other case options once home.

C'mon 5pm, I wanna go home now!

Posting on the new iPad right now (using a bluetooth keyboard, though). It really is a thing of beauty but I'm slightly disappointed in some performance aspects. iMame, for instance, now puts along at a slow framerate rendering my iCade almost useless. :(

It seems that some apps may struggle to run smoothly on the new display and something like iMame will never be officially updated.

Oh well, the new pad is pretty great regardless as reading and web usage is infinitely better. Gaf in portrait has never looked so sharp.
ugh... letdown total :(

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Haven't experienced Retina yet since the plastic cover is still on :p
I don't want smudges :p

Never understand people who do this...

... take it off!

Top Bottom