• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Finally getting a chance to play with my new 32GB after it was delivered to my work earlier. Yes the screen is something to behold, I think I'll be using portrait mode a lot more again.

Why does neogaf load zoomed in using portrait? I keep having to zoom out and it's annoying.

I've ordered one. Had it on my iPad 2, combined with a smart cover it's brilliant.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
It's wifi. I'm hoping the heat is a result of the syncing. But still, I'm betting that apps that push the device are going to seriously heat up the device. Right now the right side is slightly warm, not a big deal. But the rigt side is uncomfortably hot IMO.

i played about 20 minutes of sky gamblers air supremecy and the bottom got just a little warm.

Enco

Finally getting a chance to play with my new 32GB after it was delivered to my work earlier. Yes the screen is something to behold, I think I'll be using portrait mode a lot more again.

Why does neogaf load zoomed in using portrait? I keep having to zoom out and it's annoying.

I've ordered one. Had it on my iPad 2, combined with a smart cover it's brilliant.
Use the GAF mobile app if you're not.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Another odd problem I'm seeing is with the photo viewer.

All of my photos appear obscenely low resolution as if I'm looking at a thumbnail. When I hit "edit", however, it shows the full resolution. Hitting cancel after that returns to the ugly low resolution version.

What the hell?

Here's what it looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/7o4Ez.jpg

panda21

i don't get why some apps don't render text in the higher resolution now. surely unless they are rendering the text pixel by pixel themselves, the iOS drawing API stuff can just render it out in higher res. dont make no sense.

like the kindle app still looks low res for some reason

i don't get why some apps don't render text in the higher resolution now. surely unless they are rendering the text pixel by pixel themselves, the iOS drawing API stuff can just render it out in higher res. dont make no sense.

Likely they used some custom rendering method.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

They are using their own possibly terrible rendering most likely.

LCfiner

Some apps will take some text and render it as an image, if the system doesn’t have the font they want.

so you’ll see some parts of an app that has text that looks good and other small text boxes with slightly blurry text.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
On the Air (or any other regular computer) if the actual image size is larger than the display then I have to scroll around to see everything. If the image is lower resolution than the display then I can see the entire image at once. Either way I can see what an image truly looks like at 1:1 scale. With the iPad it automatically scales everything to fit the display. Larger or smaller. I can't figure out how to turn that off.

There are thousands of apps, many for photographers. Surely there must be one that does what you want? Don't rely on the built in apps necessarily

Can anyone else confirm that the ipad now gets hot? This makes me worry.

I have been using it all day, so about 8 hours. I have played music, video, games, skyped and browsed the web, I have yet to notice any substantial heat. This is my first iPad so I have no idea how this differs to previous versions.

AndTAR

Really starting to look forward to an iOS 6 reveal now. That 1GB RAM is just screaming for some multitasking-related action.

mcawesome

Neo Member
Just got mine, and my god is this screen gorgeous. I am disappointed that the iPad 2 case I got does not fit it right. This being my first iPad can anyone tell me how well the smart cover works?

AndTAR

Just got mine, and my god is this screen gorgeous. I am disappointed that the iPad 2 case I got does not fit it right. This being my first iPad can anyone tell me how well the smart cover works?
It works just as solidly as one would expect, the magnets are very good. Whether the smudge lines are annoying is probably a matter of preference - I didn't mind, but resold it anyway due to lack of back protection.

Finally got it. Initial impressions:

- Screen doesnt blow me away. I chalk that up to having an iPhone 4 for 2 years. Beautiful screen.

- Color temp is incredibly warm. Too warm.

- Casecrown Bold Standby case won't even activate the option in settings to lock/wake via magnets. Amazon refunded me my money and is letting me keep the case, which I'll use until I find a better option.

- Someone said their Air doesn't charge the iPad. Mine is charging it right now just fine.

Loading a bunch of TV shows, books, apps etc on it and will spend the night playing with my new toy before I decide if its a keeper or not. No dead pixels, no bleeding issues to speak of.

AndTAR

How warm would the new iPad color temperature roughly be, put side-by-side with an iPad running f.lux at lowest setting (Flourescent)?

Crossing my fingers it's not that warm..

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Probably intentional for the sake of keeping things speedy.

No chance. It's way too low resolution to even be usable. It's MUCH blurrier than a 1024x768 iPad shot. Also, it doesn't happen with photos on the camera roll, just albums (which definitely contain original high-res shots from my camera).

Anyone else notice how hot this thing gets?

Still can't order one is the Dutch Apple store website :( even though its supposed to launch next week.

Hopefully it chances soon.

Have fun with yours everyone this weekend.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Really enjoying the voice dictation. Here's some commands;

http://blog.crushapps.com/2011/10/more-fun-with-siri-dictation/

Wife unsurprisingly not impressed. She's Japanese so I figured the clearer text would be even more noticeable for her, but she wasn't bothered. Then I tried dictation, figuring that Japanese IMEs are a pretty slow way to enter text, so dictation would not just be cool, it'd actually be more efficient than typing. Still not impressed. Oh well.

Barefoot atlas is gorgeous btw

Safari still reloading tabs quite often. Seems to keep them cached well while in safari, but not so much when switching to other apps

TKR92

After installing lots of apps and using iPhoto, the iPad is getting warm.

I'm not saying it's hot. But it's quite warm for me.

BTW, thank god, Free my apps have iPhoto. I have enough credits to redeem one. :)

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
No chance. It's way too low resolution to even be usable. It's MUCH blurrier than a 1024x768 iPad shot. Also, it doesn't happen with photos on the camera roll, just albums (which definitely contain original high-res shots from my camera).

Anyone else notice how hot this thing gets?

Random question but have you tried turning the thing off and then turning it back on? Sounds like a bug where the motion rendering isn't ever deactivating or something.

FStop7

Banned
There are thousands of apps, many for photographers. Surely there must be one that does what you want? Don't rely on the built in apps necessarily

I've tried a couple and they haven't really done what I wanted. But in the meantime I went back and redid a couple of photos from the original RAW files, except when I saved them I sized them down to 2048x1536 rather than the resolution of 1440x958 I used to use. Then I put the a copy of old and new on my iPad. Comapring them _really_ drove home how awesome the new display is. The difference is insane.

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
Top Bottom