• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

According to people on the internet and the in this thread the screen is a lot more color accurate than the other displays.

Having a 4s, maybe I am used to a warm screen.

Well there's a yellow tint on one corner and none on the bottom corners this very apparent on white background like this forum

So I think it's leakage

X-Frame

So many people are having an easy time just walking into a non-Apple store and picking one up? Do they have a decent selection?

I'd want at least a white 64 GB one. Whether it's WiFi only or with Data I need to choose.

That's mostly how I feel now after playing with my device for most of the day. The hardware is a nice improvement, but does it deserve all the orgasmic, visceral praise that's been thrown out? We have an iPad 2, with a nicer screen that runs a bit warmer due to a massive battery. It's a nice upgrade I suppose. I read some articles in Readability, switched back to the last gen iPad and did the same. My eyes didn't feel any different before or after. It's the same text. One display just has larger pixels than the other.

I think at this point it's become a reflex for zealous Apple fans and the 'chosen ones' in the media overreact to hardware changes that would otherwise be disregarded from other manufacturers.

I await iOS6 to see what this resolution, GPU and 1GB of RAM can really do. Now I'm just bored.

You're 'bored'? Did you expect it to give you a blowjob? Seriously, it seems you had strange expectations. It does everything the iPad2 does and more, all while having a signigicantly better display. Since the iPad2 was already the best tablet on the market, this just made it that much better, while retaining same battery life. For someone who's objective and knows what else is out there, they would realize it's in a league of it's own, and has nothing to do with being an 'overzealous Apple fan'. When you have every reviewer splashing such high praise, maybe the problem is with you and whatever absurd expectations you had. Did you consider that?

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yep, and it's evident in pictures people post. I'm seeing it on mine too. It reminds me of the iMac situation.

I want to see what you are talking about. Maybe mine has the problem too. Please post pictures.

Did anyone get pressured to get the Apple Care+
I have to turn down the offer 3x
Kept mentioning it every1-2 mins
Was not even asked about it once.

LJ11

Can anyone else confirm that the ipad now gets hot? This makes me worry.

Wouldn't call it hot, but it gets warm, never noticed any heat with my iPad2. Watched a couple of vids, browsed, no games, and it was warm enough to get my hand to perspire.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I feel like the max brightness is even brighter now. It hurts my eyes to look at it for too long.

Too many pixels!
I've honestly never used max brightness on iPad 1 and 2 in the couple years I've owned them.
In fact, 50% is probably the max I've ever gone up to when in a bright room.

Vyer

Finally home from work and opened the new iPad. screen is great; don't notice any issues with the color temp so far.

I've been watching CNN's coverage of the ipad launch. They had some girl on explaining to the news anchor the splendors of a retina display and they also have some nerdy guy on saying hes extremly disappointed because "they didnt change it enough"

ComicGlass update!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes. THIS is what the iPad is for. I'm flicking through full pages of comics without feeling the need to zoom in! And if I move my eyes closer it just looks better!

Wonderful.

blackflag

Just got my iPad and put it in my Targus slim case. Not sure I'm liking it at all. It has the magnet thing that is supposed to put the iPad to sleep and wake it up but it doesn't work at all. Is that a setting I need to turn on somewhere in the iPad?

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Hmm. Tapping spoilers is still easier than the other method but the posting is easier in the full site, yes.

What I used to do the on the full site on the rare times I didn't use the mobile site...
Select the spoiler, have the iPad read it to me. :)

Jezbollah

Hi all.

I am typing this on my new iPad - my first. Have to say I am enjoying it so far. I do feel it may take a little of tweaking and installing to get it to the way I want - my only major concern is getting it into a case ASAP although that should happen soon.

I live in Southend, England and when I went to the TNT depot in Basildon to pick it up the guy said they alone had 700 to deliver alone - I am not too sure how much they cover in terms of area but I thought that sounded like a lot.

One question for you video encoders out there - I have used Visual Hub to convert videos for my iphone - does anyone have any recommendations over what is the best current converter for iPad? Cheers!

post pics if you can
I might try tomorrow but it's very difficult to capture the difference in a photo. It's just a massive improvement, more so than any other aspect of this Retina update. The combination of line drawing and hand-drawn text highlights the benefits of high PPI more than anything else.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
ComicGlass update!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh yes. THIS is what the iPad is for. I'm flicking through full pages of comics without feeling the need to zoom in! And if I move my eyes closer it just looks better!

Wonderful.

Are there any free comics out ther I could try this with? And are they usually high enough resolution to benefit?

One question for you video encoders out there - I have used Visual Hub to convert videos for my iphone - does anyone have any recommendations over what is the best current converter for iPad? Cheers!
Welcome to the iPad experience

I've never converted any videos even mkv since I got avplayerhd app

According to people on the internet and the in this thread the screen is a lot more color accurate than the other displays.

Having a 4s, maybe I am used to a warm screen.

Most people are used to a very cool color temp as evident by the majority of the people runjing their sets in standard or dynamic mode. I was very happy to see the calibration report linked earlier.

got one today. amazing screen.

want to play Journey (PS3) on it so bad.
Journey isn't even half the res of this screen, so it wouldn't really help. But certainly, if we could get that kind of quality content on iOS I'd be more enthused about the device for gaming purposes.

DJ_Lae

I just got a Delivery Exception from FedEx :(

Yeah, mine's still dicking around on the other side of the country.

I was even sitting here working when I saw the UPS guy pull up - unfortunately for someone else in the building (but not an iPad judging by the box).

FreeMufasa

What an amazing product. My first Tablet and Apple product. Been playing around with it for the past 3 hours and it's just amazing. Screen has blown me away, something that didn't happen when I first played a game in HD.

So any really good/key apps i should get? I'm going to get garageband in a bit and get started with it tommorow.

Giddy giddy.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
What an amazing product. My first Tablet and Apple product. Been playing around with it for the past 3 hours and it's just amazing. Screen has blown me away, something that didn't happen when I first played a game in HD.

So any really good/key apps i should get? I'm going to get garageband in a bit and get started with it tommorow.

Giddy giddy.

Carcassonne, best game on the iPad by a wide margin.

Ok so I got my 16gb Ipad, brought it to the Apple store (heard from a friend that worked there that they got 1700 for launch) and exchanged it for the 32gb I wanted. Now, as an Ipad newbie, what are some apps I need to get?

Dartastic

I honestly don't care about the back of my iPad, but the screen needs to stay nice. Any suggestions for cleaners? I'm also assuming the smart cover is worth buying?

Played modern combat 3 for about 50 minutes, it used 10% of the battery and the back is only lightly warm.

I think that is really really good! so used to the battery being half flat after that time on a touch.

Alex

I think they tell you to just use a cleaning cloth and no type of liquids. I had a few instances where I needed to though and Id just use the standard 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and water that I do for all my screens.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
DO NOT DO NOT DO NOT use a matte finished screen protector. FUCK. my wife brought one and it aint pretty.

Using a screen protector at all is silly. Get a smart cover or similar case that protects the screen in transit but leaves it naked so you can fully enjoy the screen.

AndTAR

Journey isn't even half the res of this screen, so it wouldn't really help. But certainly, if we could get that kind of quality content on iOS I'd be more enthused about the device for gaming purposes.
With more GPU juice in these mobile devices than ever before, I keep imagining how much further gaming on them could progress if there were some proper, widely-adopted hardware controls. Something like an official Apple gaming controller/handle, with buttons and analog joysticks.

Top Bottom