• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Keylime

ÏÎ¯Î»Ï á¼Î¾ÎµÏÎγλοÏÏον καί ÏεÏδολÏγον οá½Îº εἰÏÏν
ATT or Verizon?

Verizon. My upload over LTE is faster than when I'm connected to Wi-Fi less than 5 feet away from the freaking modem!

My iPad AND my iPhone have decided they don't want to show up in the iTunes sidebar now. They charge, but aren't recognized. I've got all my software up to date, tried multiple cables and have restarted, too :/

Help, GAF! I don't know what else to do, outside of uninstalling iTunes at this point.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
My iPad AND my iPhone have decided they don't want to show up in the iTunes sidebar now. They charge, but aren't recognized. I've got all my software up to date, tried multiple cables and have restarted, too :/

Help, GAF! I don't know what else to do, outside of uninstalling iTunes at this point.
Are you on a PC? My work machine used to do that - ther's an 'ipod service' that runs in the background, and if that wasn't running it would shit itself. Perhaps you can go into services.msc and make sure it's enabled. (I think it's start/run/services.msc.... but my memory isn't great :p )

Keylime

Good! Cause I have Verizon on mine.

Speaking of which, wonder why Sprint wasn't included? They were on iPhone 4S.

I guess getting in on the iPad party wasn't part of their $55 billion deal… Yikes!

Are you on a PC? My work machine used to do that - ther's an 'ipod service' that runs in the background, and if that wasn't running it would shit itself. Perhaps you can go into services.msc and make sure it's enabled. (I think it's start/run/services.msc.... but my memory isn't great :p )

No, I'm on a Mac. 10.7. Thanks, though :)

AndTAR

LTE YouTube = HD

Fuck yes.

Though watching one little video was 100 MB LOL
Damn. One hundred of those, and it would be throttle time on a 10GB data cap.

I'm seriously considering just leaving out cellular this time, and picking Wi-Fi only. No more worries about data plans, and there'll still be Instapaper/Readability and ebooks when outdoors (though I guess data caps would be raised with LTE - in my country however, having even a 5GB limit is pretty expensive.)

Phreaker

I'm really surprised how good the iPhone apps at 2x look on the new iPad compared to my iPad 1. I thought they'd look like hell, but they don't. They look better than they did.

Keylime

As in they paid that much to be included on 4S?

Kind of

I apparently have a bad habit of using 50 instead of whatever the real number is. (It was actually 15.5 billion)

Mr_eX

Are there any good media players that can handle 1080p? I tried a 12gb video and the only player I found that could play it higher than 1 fps was OplayerHD, it was getting between 5-15 fps it seemed.

Went to the Apple Store this afternoon. I was really tempted, but I couldn't find overwhelming reasons to leave my 64 GB 3G white iPad 2.

The screen was pretty nice, but overall, couldn't do it. I did notice that iBooks text looked crispier, but pictures and video seemed the same to me.

Keylime

Is there a quick way to scroll to the bottom of the browser in Safari?

Swipe really hard and really fast…

… I'm not kidding!

Not exactly ideal but it's still a way to do it. In the web app you can actually click on the thread title, but just browsing the Internet normally there's nothing.

georgc

Nine tabs open in Safari and switching between both of them not a single page reloaded. Amazing I love this new thing.

Edit; no more typing for me everything that I will post on GAF Will now be dictated. One question however how do I make this thing understand gaf it always thinks the saying gas or some other Word.

LCfiner

So I'm guessing iMessage on the iPad can only receive messages sent to an email address?

that’s right (actually multiple emails). but if you have an iPhone, you can just set your called ID to the email address so that messages show up on all your devices.

i was using this today. works great

Whoa, with four fingers you can swipe between apps? Any other cool gestures I should be aware of?

five finger pinch to get to hoe screen. four finger swipe up from bottom for multitasking tray. they’re listed in the settings app

f@luS

More than a member.
any way to check in my contact who i can send imessage directly ? got few thousands contacts...

1080p movies look SO GOOD.

I've converted a few with Handbrake to m4v @ 3000mbps, ~3GB/movie (the same movies were a bit choppy in AVPlayerHD as raw 1080p MKV's)....and oh my sweet jesus.

So crisp! So clean.

cnizzle06

Banned
Is the iphone 4 plug interchangeable with the ipad plug? Cause I've had it plug in and yet the battery is still dropping. Maybe I'm just using it too much?

Dartastic

1080p movies look SO GOOD.

I've converted a few with Handbrake to m4v @ 3000mbps, ~3GB/movie (the same movies were a bit choppy in AVPlayerHD as raw 1080p MKV's)....and oh my sweet jesus.

So crisp! So clean.

How do I transfer HD movies into AVPlayerHD? I just downloaded the program but I'm not sure how to make it work.

iavi

Has anybody tested Infinity Blade 2 on the new Ipad yet? It looks as if it's been updated to run at the retina's native res, and I'm wondering about that frame-rate.

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
any way to check in my contact who i can send imessage directly ? got few thousands contacts...

not that i know of. you just have to make sure that the contact has an email address associated in their entry, and hope they're using that for their itunes account.

MontTrain

Banned
How do I transfer HD movies into AVPlayerHD? I just downloaded the program but I'm not sure how to make it work.

Go to iTunes with your iPad plugged in.

Select the device, then click on Apps folder across the top next to Summary. Then scroll down to File Sharing. Click on AVPlayer and then Add. Point it to where the files are and it copies them locally into the app. You don't need to sync or anything.

Then go to the app and open the explorer

Ah ha, I figured it out. I had to reinstall Xcode. No idea why, but that did it. Go me! Now I can do a restore on this sucka and see what all the fuss is really about :D

Just got home and am busy updating all of my apps but so far I'm really loving this thing. Dictation is pretty sweet too. Can't wait to start reading iBooks on this soon.

Keylime

Has anybody tested Infinity Blade 2 on the new Ipad yet? It looks as if it's been updated to run at the retina's native res, and I'm wondering about that frame-rate.

As strange as it is, I think it actually runs better than it used to! Admittedly I didn't play it too much before since I played the first one to death, but it ran extremely well. I was pleasantly surprised.

f@luS

More than a member.
im getting used to this yellow tint

anyway i bought 3 retina game

infinity blade 2 - gorgeous, so crisp its kinda insane ! and doesnt seems to stutter from the resolution
modern combat - quite stunning, so sharp
asphalt - sharp but ugly and not fluid

giga

yes. very much so. but my converted 1080p files are just fine. idk what's up with that, but it was pretty bad.
Because MKVs don't play back natively and would have to be remuxed on the fly with avplayerhd. The app might not even do hardware acceleration for those files either.

im getting used to this yellow tint

anyway i bought 3 retina game

infinity blade 2 - gorgeous, so crisp its kinda insane ! and doesnt seems to stutter from the resolution

the tint is apparent in lower brightness, but when I max it out u hardly see it

might get IB2, but I wonder if it'll go on sale once the other IB games come out

Because MKVs don't play back natively and would have to be remuxed on the fly with avplayerhd. The app might not even do hardware acceleration for those files either.

MKV has to be decoded or remuxed by the CPU still no? Only quicktime/mp4 containers can be sent through the hardware decoder.
i see. it didn't bother me. I have lots of files I won't have to convert that AVPlayer will be perfect for. It's fine for all my 720p MKV's, it appears. So anything @ 720p or below will require no conversion, no matter what container or format (so far as I've tested).

I've got a queue of like 6 movies converting for when I'm on the road. The rest, I'll just stream over my network from Air Video. I'm a happy camper. Oh, and already down 20 14GB free on the 64GB pad. lol.

20GB of audio, 5GB apps, 16GB videos (and counting). I should be able to max it out by morning. :)

What brightness is everyone running at? Do you use auto-brightness? I turned it off and set my brightness to like 60.

The yellow tint doesn't irk me too much, the iPod 4 I have has a worse tint to it, you get used to it though.

snack

I just downloaded Handbrake. Do I choose the "iPad" presets or do I have to create my own settings to watch the videos on my iPad 3?

i see. it didn't bother me. I have lots of files I won't have to convert that AVPlayer will be perfect for. It's fine for all my 720p MKV's, it appears. So anything @ 720p or below will require no conversion, no matter what container or format (so far as I've tested).

I've got a queue of like 6 movies converting for when I'm on the road. The rest, I'll just stream over my network from Air Video. I'm a happy camper. Oh, and already down 20 14GB free on the 64GB pad. lol.

20GB of audio, 5GB apps, 16GB videos (and counting). I should be able to max it out by morning. :)

Most of those MKVs could be remuxed much quicker than reconversion for you with something like MKVTools. Though reconverting would allow you to make things smaller.

Phreaker

Another odd problem I'm seeing is with the photo viewer.

All of my photos appear obscenely low resolution as if I'm looking at a thumbnail. When I hit "edit", however, it shows the full resolution. Hitting cancel after that returns to the ugly low resolution version.

What the hell?

Here's what it looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/7o4Ez.jpg

Did you get it figured out? Mine does not do that. How big are your pics? Here's what mine looks like: http://i.minus.com/ibgfojT6XFHKos.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
What brightness is everyone running at? Do you use auto-brightness? I turned it off and set my brightness to like 60.

The yellow tint doesn't irk me too much, the iPod 4 I have has a worse tint to it, you get used to it though.

25% indoor, 60% outdoor

There is such a weird brightness curve on mine (or all) where 1-50% are small changes and 50-100 are huuuuuge changes

Edit: oh shit, auto brightness was on... Settings restore fail

Top Bottom