• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The new iPad |OT|

Most of those MKVs could be remuxed much quicker than reconversion for you with something like MKVTools. Though reconverting would allow you to make things smaller.

yep, I'm doing it for size + quality.

I just downloaded Handbrake. Do I choose the "iPad" presets or do I have to create my own settings to watch the videos on my iPad 3?
Just do "Regular --> High Profile". On the Video tab, I've been setting the Average Bitrate manually to 3000kbps. That's giving me files in the 3GB-4GB range. Default is 1500-1800 for good quality. You might want to do a movie conversion twice...one at 1500-1800kbps, and one at 3000kbps and see which you prefer (in both quality and file size).

What brightness is everyone running at? Do you use auto-brightness? I turned it off and set my brightness to like 60.

The yellow tint doesn't irk me too much, the iPod 4 I have has a worse tint to it, you get used to it though.
I have my on auto atm. When the jailbreak comes out, I'll micromanage it more.

Don't forget: you can double-tap on the home screen and pan to the left to access brightness without going to the settings menu.

So I have Comicflow in my app list since I think it was free. Is ComicZeal 5 dollars better?

the thing that turned me off from ComicZeal was it u need a program to transfer it and I believe it compress the images (this is back then though), that's y I went with Comicflow its just comic images as is

LCfiner

could you go into this more? This interests me.

on your iPhone, go into settings app, then messages. you can add email addresses to the spot where is says “receive at”. put one there like your apple ID email, for example.

do the same thing on your iPads, iPod touches and macs running the new messages beta. (they can only accept email addresses, anyway)

then, on the phone, change your “caller id” to that email address. by default it’s your phone number and if you leave it at that, then imessages you send out or receive at the phone won’t be seen on your other devices. (this won’t change normal texting, don’t worry).

so if match up the email caller id amongst all your devices, you can switch from mac to iPhone to ipad in one sitting and all messages sync up seamlessly. i was just doing it tonight and it worked well. (though having three message chirps hit at once was a little annoying as I was testing this.)

snack

Just do "Regular --> High Profile". On the Video tab, I've been setting the Average Bitrate manually to 3000kbps. That's giving me files in the 3GB-4GB range. Default is 1500-1800 for good quality. You might want to do a movie conversion twice...one at 1500-1800kbps, and one at 3000kbps and see which you prefer (in both quality and file size).

I have my on auto atm. When the jailbreak comes out, I'll micromanage it more.

Don't forget: you can double-tap on the home screen and pan to the left to access brightness without going to the settings menu.

Awesome. Thanks for the help! :)

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Just got home with my ipad and am syncing it now.

While I was at the Apple store picking it up, I played around with the 4s. I have never played around with one before, and never seen one naked, but holy crap is that a sexy piece of hardware. Cases are seriously horrible for what they do to the sleekness of some of these mobile devices.

Purexed

Banned
I got a noticeable yellow tint on my iPad as well when is this supposed to go away?

Surprised this issue wasn't brought up in the reviews more prominently; the fellation of Apple by the tech sites on the display was a bit overboard. It's nice, but not without some consequences (e.g. Warm screen, warm body, etc)

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I've not noticed this on mine, seems that only some people are reporting this. When I have some time I might try and take some measurements with my colorimeter and see where the white point actually is.

My iPad 3rd gen is ever so slightly warmer at lower brightness levels compared to my iPad 1

At 50% + the difference is even less

But for the most part it basically looks the same :D like its nowhere near the point where it's a distraction (and I HATE warm screens)

So it seems like its on an iPad to iPad basis, really

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Surprised this issue wasn't brought up in the reviews more prominently; the fellation of Apple by the tech sites on the display was a bit overboard. It's nice, but not without some consequences (e.g. Warm screen, warm body, etc)

People keep saying this but apparently the screen is much more color accurate than the 1 and the 2. I read something on one of the main display sites saying the same thing.

LCfiner

the biggest consequence was mentioned in reviews: weight. the heat is another thing but I have found it so minor that it’s trivial in use.

the colour is actually more accurate than the older one.

it’s a pretty awesome display. the downsides to the hardware were mentioned in reviews. no one really glossed over it. we all knew what we were getting into.

Alex

I don't know how apple stuff works, like... At all, but is it possible since av player is an old app it may not be able to take advantage of the extra cores on the new GPU in the iPad 3?

Maybe it's something they can update regardless, lthough I do not think they have patched anything since 2011

Mr. Tone

I don't use Handbrake, can it do crf encoding? If you don't mind an unpredictable file size, you can get better output, quicker. I usually using something like crf 18-21.

Flipboard is so pretty.

I don't use Handbrake, can it do crf encoding? If you don't mind an unpredictable file size, you can get better output, quicker. I usually using something like crf 18-21.
not familiar with "crf encoding". but I'd like to know more. I'm always a fan of faster outputs.

soldat7

I'm really surprised how good the iPhone apps at 2x look on the new iPad compared to my iPad 1. I thought they'd look like hell, but they don't. They look better than they did.

Not too shabby, actually. Games that were heavily compressed fare a bit worse, however. Des should still gun for full Retina support, though.

Purexed

Banned
People keep saying this but apparently the screen is much more color accurate than the 1 and the 2. I read something on one of the main display sites saying the same thing.

I'm more of a "cool" guy myself so im espeically sensitive to this. The display is interesting, when the display is on my lap, looks really yellow. Eye level, the display is much cooler.

DopeyFish

I'm more of a "cool" guy myself so im espeically sensitive to this. The display is interesting, when the display is on my lap, looks really yellow. Eye level, the display is much cooler.

It's an angle thing. The new screen does not treat angles well in terms of maintaining the correct color at any angle outside of directly looking right at it.

Tilt it and your whites turn yellow

MThanded

Well, they're going to get used to it now.

People will continue to say the white is not white and therefore is not more accurate. They will continue to be wrong.

I do see the tilt shift. I don't have my iPad 1 any more so I can't compare it.

Dartastic

Go to iTunes with your iPad plugged in.

Select the device, then click on Apps folder across the top next to Summary. Then scroll down to File Sharing. Click on AVPlayer and then Add. Point it to where the files are and it copies them locally into the app. You don't need to sync or anything.

Then go to the app and open the explorer
Good to know. I'll make a folder for this. Thanks.

Phreaker

IM thinking maybe he did a straight restore of a backup of an old iPad, which would have picked up the old photo library files for iPad 1 or 2?

Hmmmm, I don't know, I pulled that photo from my Album, which was restored from iCloud from my iPad 1. They are 10MP images, from my Canon S95.

kr2t0s

Handbrake does CRF. In fact I think all the presets default to using CRF.

Unless he is going after small files I wouldn't touch average bitrate. But it sounds like a lot of his source stuff is suspect and probably subpar so who knows.

on your iPhone, go into settings app, then messages. you can add email addresses to the spot where is says “receive at”. put one there like your apple ID email, for example.

do the same thing on your iPads, iPod touches and macs running the new messages beta. (they can only accept email addresses, anyway)

then, on the phone, change your “caller id” to that email address. by default it’s your phone number and if you leave it at that, then imessages you send out or receive at the phone won’t be seen on your other devices. (this won’t change normal texting, don’t worry).

so if match up the email caller id amongst all your devices, you can switch from mac to iPhone to ipad in one sitting and all messages sync up seamlessly. i was just doing it tonight and it worked well. (though having three message chirps hit at once was a little annoying as I was testing this.)

I was just trying this and I couldn't get it to send to both at once. I'll keep tinkering. Thanks for the info!

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
I don't notice any yellow tint at all. Since I'm used to calibrating my TVs under the warm color temperature setting, I guess I'm used to it.

DopeyFish

People will continue to say the white is not white and therefore is not more accurate. They will continue to be wrong.

I do see the tilt shift. I don't have my iPad 1 any more so I can't compare it.

If its not white, then it's not white

And iPad 1 handled it a lot better... Though there was a huge shift of color presentation at sharp angles... It worked wonders from most

Mr. Tone

Flipboard is so pretty.

not familiar with "crf encoding". but I'd like to know more. I'm always a fan of faster outputs.

I've looked at Handbrake, and it's the Constant Quality setting listed under Video. If you're specifying your own Bitrate, you typically want to do a two-pass encode, so the program knows where to allocate the most bits, and this is time-consuming. Crf encoding allocates bits based on the complexity of a frame, modified by a rate factor. The smaller the rate-factor, the higher the quality. It only takes one pass, and can give you higher quality at the same file size used for ABR encoding. It may not necessarily be quicker, and it can take some experimentation to get a rate factor that gives the right file size. I would look around 20 to start with.

Handbrake does CRF. In fact I think all the presets default to using CRF.

Unless he is going after small files I wouldn't touch average bitrate. But it sounds like a lot of his source stuff is suspect and probably subpar so who knows.

oh i see what that is now. yes, Handbrake definitely does that. and my source stuff isn't suspect; it's just big. 12-20GB 1080p files. If they will encode faster using CFR rather than setting a target average bit rate, I'll do that instead. I didn't think it made any difference in conversion speed.

I've looked at Handbrake, and it's the Constant Quality setting listed under Video. If you're specifying your own Bitrate, you typically want to do a two-pass encode, so the program knows where to allocate the most bits, and this is time-consuming. Crf encoding allocates bits based on the complexity of a frame, modified by a rate factor. The smaller the rate-factor, the higher the quality. It only takes one pass, and can give you higher quality at the same file size used for ABR encoding. It may not necessarily be quicker, and it can take some experimentation to get a rate factor that gives the right file size. I would look around 20 to start with.
thanks for the insight. I'll cancel my conversions and switch them to CFR. grats!

Mr. Tone

On a lot of calibrated TVs I have seen white is always slightly yellow. Someone in this thread is more knowledgable and can explain more.

TVs are typically calibrated to Rec. 709, which is a bit warmer than a typical PC display. It is, however the correct color system for high-definition content.

The way I know there's an issue with mine is that the color of the google bar in safari is a different shade of yellow/white depending upon which of the 4 different ways I hold the iPad.

MThanded

The way I know there's an issue with mine is that the color of the google bar in safari is a different shade of yellow/white depending upon which of the 4 different ways I hold the iPad.

That's a whole different issue. You have some sort of defect clearly. All the displays are warmer in general.

kr2t0s

Does anyone feel the screen isn't as bright as the 1/2?

Meaning if I put the brightness on the new iPad at 50% and compare it to my iPad 2 at 50% the iPad 2 feels brighter. Not sure if my eyes are playing tricks or what.

Not saying I can't just turn the brightness up - just curious.

DopeyFish

Does anyone feel the screen isn't as bright as the 1/2?

Meaning if I put the brightness on the new iPad at 50% and compare it to my iPad 2 at 50% the iPad 2 feels brighter. Not sure if my eyes are playing tricks or what.

Not saying I can't just turn the brightness up - just curious.

Is auto brightness off?

Alex

I am pretty shocked at how well the voice dictation is working. I never tried Siri much before but on this I'm actually using it to write entire posts and send messages and emails. I occasionally have to edit a small part but mostly it is getting things very accurately

It is a fun a option when no one is around to hear you acting like an ass by talking messageboard posts into a glowing rectangle

Top Bottom